You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion: Doin' Dirt Done Discrete  (Read 2242 times)

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
Suggestion: Doin' Dirt Done Discrete
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
Other people have complained about Ciuruc in the Merriment having his scripts bugged and giving you the wrong quest, but far worse in my opinion is the fact that he announces your illegal deliveries loudly for everyone in the tent to hear. Could we make both him and the tiefling in the drain whisper the conversation about your smuggling? I can't imagine walking up to a street corner shouting "HEY GUYS, HAVE ANY DRUGS FOR SALE?"

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Suggestion: Doin' Dirt Done Discrete
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
I don't know how easy this would be to do, but I agree.

The Drain...everyone in there is probably a ne'e'r do well (although they might just knife you if they thought you were carrying a lot of cash). But when Suspi first started going to Ciuruc I wasn't sure how to RP that. She tends not to deliver or pick up when any actual PCs are in the tent, which is kind of metagaming I suppose, but my IC excuse is that she can distinguish between the "regulars" and unfamiliar folk. If she doesn't recognize someone, she generally backs out and waits.

The basement in Wachter is more like the Drain, and I've never run into another PC there anyway.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

booksarefun666

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »
I'm legitimately surprised no krofburg guard just parked themselves there.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
Other people have complained about Ciuruc in the Merriment having his scripts bugged and giving you the wrong quest, but far worse in my opinion is the fact that he announces your illegal deliveries loudly for everyone in the tent to hear. Could we make both him and the tiefling in the drain whisper the conversation about your smuggling? I can't imagine walking up to a street corner shouting "HEY GUYS, HAVE ANY DRUGS FOR SALE?"

As far as I know you can't script NPC conversations to be whispered. In any case I am prepared to believe the conversation is being conducted in a hushed and clandestine way. Not that that doesn't make it not obvious what you're up to..
Also Cirruc telling you he's giving you silver, and then unloading 4 crates of suspicious meat is a feature, not a bug. Can't trust a caliban.

I'm legitimately surprised no krofburg guard just parked themselves there.
Who says there aren't? Guards can Steath too...

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
As far as I know you can't script NPC conversations to be whispered. In any case I am prepared to believe the conversation is being conducted in a hushed and clandestine way.

Then perhaps an "OOC" bit of text could be added explaining this so as not to violate WYSIWYG (or in this case, WYHIWYG)

:)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:51:51 PM by Iridni Ren »

a peasant and his pitchfork

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »

Can confirm, we are always watching from the shadows. To ensure your safety, of course.
The everyman half corpse.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 05:01:54 PM »

Can confirm, we are always watching from the shadows. To ensure your safety, of course.

Ciuruc confirmed as garda rat!

Asmobius

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:19:28 PM »
Nu, see what happens is Ciuruc is working for the garda... he is our middleman. We confiscate contraband, then have him give to someone else to be confiscated again... each time extorting a 'fee' so we do nu arrest the delivery domn/a. If they slip past? Well we have to get our products out eventually...

Jamila

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
You'd think once the place became overly-populated with even guards the fellow would move to a more secluded locale in the camp...

Yes, Dear

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 02:34:25 AM »
Ciuruc can't be Militia, his name's not Mihai.
Yes, sweet lemonade. Oh, sweet lemonade.

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »
"I think that Mihas Mihai guy is a cop"  :lol:
Istavan Donner

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 10:48:37 PM »
Add a backroom that's guarded by a guy who only let's you in with high OCR. Put our smuggler delivery guy inside.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »
Add a backroom that's guarded by a guy who only let's you in with high OCR. Put our smuggler delivery guy inside.

I like the concept, but that would basically mean human thieves couldn't engage with the thing at all, which would be unfortunate. Worse, being a charismatic criminal would mean you'd lose access.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »
That's not necessarily true.

Keep in mind that in the Shady Business, people mostly prove their worth by way of reputation. If you have a reputation of bumping shoulders with the Guard and save kittens, then if you went to go get a job selling drugs chances are they'd not trust you. If you want to do criminal things, build a negative reputation. There are things you can do IG to increase your OCR. And if you're one of those characters who literally doesn't ever get caught and demand under the radar, then just ask a DM to raise your OCR.

I mean, no solution will ever be perfect. It just worked for the Drain, so there's no reason we couldn't add it for this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:32:02 PM by Blight »

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »
It worked for the drain? J'qarr has an OCR of like.. 2.. in Barovia. And he's in all kinds of shady nonsense. He spends a great deal of time at the drain.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 05:22:58 AM »
It worked for the drain? J'qarr has an OCR of like.. 2.. in Barovia. And he's in all kinds of shady nonsense. He spends a great deal of time at the drain.

So there is a rule that Vallaki Guard are not able to enter the Drain. That's all I meant. Tying it to OCR just makes it easier to police since it wouldn't be an entire faction.

I also did mention the characters that don't get caught or have an open reputation. If you have an OCR of 2, then chances are you are one of them.