Author Topic: Food system - Suggestion/Request  (Read 2051 times)

A minor Glamour

Food system - Suggestion/Request
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »
Are there any plans to expand the food system for the upcoming update? If you want to source your own food, are as far as I know Deer, Boar, and Squirrel meat are the only options available. I'd like to source my own food, but I feel eating meat constantly is starting to feel OOC and my character would be getting very constipated and tired of eating them same things all the time. As far as I know we can't fish which would be a great alternative, we have a Lake, and fishermen working on it in Vallaki which is a considerably important piece of cannon, so it would make sense that we could fish from it. It would be great if I could collect flour, water, salt and yeast and bake bread in an oven, or cook vegetables. Also it irritates me to no end that whenever you cook deer meat you obtain tins of food  :think: :wtf:, so I'm just saying a few tweaks would be a welcome change, and baking bread and fishing would be a good source of role play, you could add it into the profession system so players could make a living from supplying food in the warehouse district.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Food system - Suggestion/Request
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:35:33 AM »
I've been working on both fishing and cooking systems for some time. It's just a question of priorities at the moment.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »
I've been working on both fishing and cooking systems for some time. It's just a question of priorities at the moment.

Oh man, this would be absolutely amazing. I would love to see this implemented. :D Like a total crafting system for cooking, similar to the other crafts... Harvest Moon: Ravenloft Edition here we come!
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:11:34 AM »
Until eating provides some sort of buff or benefit that not eating provides, other than not healing on rest, I advocate it's removal.  Doesn't really serve any purpose other than being annoying.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:05:01 AM »

..Please do. I want so badly to be able to just have fishing RP. Sit for a day with a rod and chit-chat over catching fish. So good.

A minor Glamour

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »
Until eating provides some sort of buff or benefit that not eating provides, other than not healing on rest, I advocate it's removal.  Doesn't really serve any purpose other than being annoying.

I feel like this a little bit too, I try to roleplay being hungry and thirsty and the need to go hunting for food to eat, but it's so simplistic, kill a deer or two, and bam 15 portions of tinned food in my inventory, I struggle to get any enjoyment out of it. I don't  think stat boosts or something is the answer just for eating, that would be overpowered but a little more meaning attached to it, and fleshing it out more would make it relevant.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:00 AM »
At present, it causes you to regain more health on resting.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:57 AM »
Forcing people to do busywork eating and such is much like having weapons wearing out with a durability rating - its just irritating and exhausting, it isn't 'fun'.  If a person wishes to roleplay eating food and such, let them.  Don't force a mechanical issue on them.  As for keeping food, I recommend it - the resting mechanic of eating, using a bedroll, using a fire, and removing armour, is all up a very accurate mechanic and works perfectly to my eyes.

A minor Glamour

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:17:51 AM »
At present, it causes you to regain more health on resting.

Sure I know that, but even with my Sorcerer or Wizards, I never bother to eat before I rest, because you just don't need too. What with being able to rest everywhere, ever two hours, healing kits, potions, drobita, and npc's who heal you regardless of level, and a certain skeleton knuckle dungeon run that you can smash your way through to stack up more potions than a busy field hospital. Healing is really not a thing you have to ration or be mindful of here. Abundance of opportunity to heal just make it defunct.

Forcing people to do busywork eating and such is much like having weapons wearing out with a durability rating - its just irritating and exhausting, it isn't 'fun'.  If a person wishes to roleplay eating food and such, let them.  Don't force a mechanical issue on them.  As for keeping food, I recommend it - the resting mechanic of eating, using a bedroll, using a fire, and removing armour, is all up a very accurate mechanic and works perfectly to my eyes.

No one is suggestion such things.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 07:20:14 AM »
With regards to rest healing, if you've got a CON score of 14, eat food, use a bedroll, remove your armour, you can heal all the way from badly wounded to full health.  At higher levels that's a ridiculous waste of resources to get back in terms of potions.  It baffles me that people burn up resources instead of using that simple method.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »
Useful to some people is useful. If you don't need it, don't use it. If it's completely irrelevant to your experience, then ignore it. In any case, we aren't removing it.

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 07:38:47 AM »
I am so up for a cooking/fishing system. If it could be made to add (small, very small) buffs, that would be truly cool, but even if it doesn't do anything but increase how much health you regain on resting, I don't mind. I agree that it should never be made a requirement, but that doesn't seem to be up for question anyway.

I'm pretty stoked by the idea... I can see myself wasting many blissful hours on it in the future. :P
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
If you want to source your own food, are as far as I know Deer, Boar, and Squirrel meat are the only options available.

Nope. There are more meat sources.
Again nope. There are certain mushrooms you can cook. For instance beggar cup has its name for a reason:)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

ardenchasemoradin

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
I, too, like a cooking/fishing/brewing system. I like the idea of being able to cook food in terms rp. I think of the various player  run establishments where making some unique food in lieu of rations  would be incredibly immersive. But it’s location on the priorities list, I think that is up to the server staff.  We ask for a lot and they provide a lot and have a much better idea of overall vision and mechanical needs.