You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Anti lag protection  (Read 2049 times)

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
Anti lag protection
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
 --- delete this post
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:03:34 AM by Arcibel »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Anti lag protection
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Lag is unfortunate, but it's a known part of the game to be planned for--like the possibility of getting hit by three criticals in a row.

We've all had battles lost we shouldn't have lost and won those we shouldn't have as well.

You lost the level by choosing to respawn, correct? Perhaps a DM will help you out, but I don't see any systemic way of correcting for engaging in risky behavior that sometimes goes poorly because of bad luck. There is a prohibition against logging out in combat, meaning that I doubt any programming could differentiate between someone's voluntarily or involuntarily getting disconnected.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »
Lag is unfortunate, but it's a known part of the game to be planned for--like the possibility of getting hit by three criticals in a row.

We've all had battles lost we shouldn't have lost and won those we shouldn't have as well.

You lost the level by choosing to respawn, correct? Perhaps a DM will help you out, but I don't see any systemic way of correcting for engaging in risky behavior that sometimes goes poorly because of bad luck. There is a prohibition against logging out in combat, meaning that I doubt any programming could differentiate between someone's voluntarily or involuntarily getting disconnected.
I thought that posibility, but let's see if is posible.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
Such a system would need to monitor the latency of each player's connections at all time. You'd only use up precious server resources and contribute further to that lag. Chances are also that your "anti-lag protection" would just not kick in because of well... lag. It's simply not a realistically feasible solution.

Our lead dev already does the best he can to keep server lag at bay, and players can still initiate resets when it is felt lag becomes too heavy. This is you best anti-lag protection right there. Beside, we will be closely monitoring how the new EE server behaves lag-wise and adjust as needed.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 08:37:10 PM »
Such a system would need to monitor the latency of each player's connections at all time. You'd only use up precious server resources and contribute further to that lag. Chances are also that your "anti-lag protection" would just not kick in because of well... lag. It's simply not a realistically feasible solution.

Our lead dev already does the best he can to keep server lag at bay, and players can still initiate resets when it is felt lag becomes too heavy. This is you best anti-lag protection right there. Beside, we will be closely monitoring how the new EE server behaves lag-wise and adjust as needed.
Understood

Well but i know the technical reason why lag occurs, but, how occurs in nwn? So much bodies in the ground? So much items in the ground?. Could you explain us that please?, thanks for your clarities.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
To help get us better feedback and locate problems regarding lag, this table helps you identify what type of lag you are suffering, if encountering such:

CauseSymptomTypical Solution
Client HardwareIt feels as the entire game is moving slowly or skipping. The user interface isn't responding smoothly and even visual effects that are animated move slower/stutter.Virus Scan/Upgrade your hardware/update drivers.
Client Network ConnectionThe in game elements reacting erratically, monsters and characters not reacting, to then suddenly jump from place to place, quickly executing the actions that should have happened in the meantime, like conducting several hits (sometimes making it very devastating). Upon query, not all other players are experiencing the same.Virus Scan/Close download programs/Contact your ISP.
Server Network ConnectionSame as above, however, it seems to be a consistent problem among all players and DMs.Resetting the server, and if not helping, contact admin or developers.
Server HardwareCan have the same symptoms as above, but usually most noticeable by AI reacting very slowly or not at all, with no afterward quick execution of lost actions. (contrary to network lag, this lag is mainly devastating to NPCs.Resetting the server, and if not helping, contact admin or developers.

Also: https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=Lag_Busting

A minor Glamour

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »
Lag is when too much data is being sent or received and something can't handle it, its either you, or its server side. Either way it's not something to make a big deal out of, and honestly suggestion the guys and girls running the show create an "anti lag protection" system is just going overboard. If it's laggy vote for a reset, or do something else, at least that way you won't add to it which is better for in the long run.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:51:24 AM »
May be a number in some part of the screen where you can see the ping, is that possible? With that you know what you are facing or call a vote reset

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 07:56:26 AM »
A: That would still lead to the issue MAB described in terms of monitoring latency
and
B: If it were done clientside it would require modifications to the client that might conflict with future updates/might not be easily achieved/might cause other issues
C: It would still not give any indication of whether a reset is necessary since the issues might simply be on the players end and if there is noticeable lag that does originate serverside, a significant enough amount of players will realize that anyway, counter or no. The only times I have actually seen significant server-side lag on POTM at all is if the server has been running for three days straight, but usually at this point, the server was reset. If there are routing problems etc, those are better analysed outside of NWN anyway and no reset of the server can do anything about those.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »
May be a number in some part of the screen where you can see the ping, is that possible? With that you know what you are facing or call a vote reset

You can already see a ping on the server selection screen. Beside, in my experience, you don't want to rely on a ping number that much, sometime your ping gets high, but the game can still be easily played.

Beside, if your ping is high, a server reset likely won't fix it because the server lagging and you lagging are two very different things.

Here is what I suggest you do if you experience lag. First, try to initiate a vote reset, 3 people are needed to initiate a reset vote, so you can always try asking a few people if they are also lagging, and if yes to call a vote reset. Take note that you lagging doesn't mean everyone is lagging, so you won't necessarily be able to get a reset vote going.

We've been using that system for a long time now, it does the job fairly well and I don't think we need any other tool or system, specially not anything that implies monitoring each player to detect lag, that would likely cause more lag as MAB said.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
Why i cant delete my own post. I think that discuss this has no sense.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »
You can edit your own posts and effectively delete them by deleting all the words.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
Please delete the post please

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
Please delete the post please

We don’t delete topics where people discussed.