You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: 3D Model Content Creation - Inquiries  (Read 1087 times)

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
3D Model Content Creation - Inquiries
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »
Hello Mist-People,

I've spent time with many other projects, servers, games and even a flight-simulator creating 3D Models with a variety of proprietary tools and systems like Blender to create content for other games. NWN has always been something I've looked at and said, "Years ago, we were getting content out of the wazoo, then it just dropped in popularity," which is why we have a bunch of old Lord of the Rings models and the same CEP Robes/shields/objects we've been using for over a decade.

If I decided to take the time to figure out and begin to create content for NWN's engine, I.E. - Robe models, armor models, sword models - Would the server's development community take the submissions?

Further, how does NWN's content creation work? What tools? What are the specific methods? If someone from the Dev team wants to send me a PM on it, I'd like to hear and put some effort in further enhancing our experience here on PoTM with historically accurate and setting-appropriate models/gear.

Thanks

-BSR

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: 3D Model Content Creation - Inquiries
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
For modeling, the main utility to use is gmax with the NWMax plugin. There is a utility out there somewhere to convert from Blender but it doesn’t seem to work very well. If you want to create content for this server, once you had content you could submit some of it along with an app for the development team.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »
For modeling, the main utility to use is gmax with the NWMax plugin. There is a utility out there somewhere to convert from Blender but it doesn’t seem to work very well. If you want to create content for this server, once you had content you could submit some of it along with an app for the development team.

Can someone link me to gmax and the plugin I'll need? Honestly, I'd love to contribute to the community. It sounds like my traditional means will need to be put aside for this project, however.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:26:21 AM »
This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I'd love to sit down and work up a ton of more era-appropriate clothing and weapon models, to say nothing of adding more heads and hats to the game. We need so many more hats.