Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Enable "take 20" Strength check when crowbarring doors

<< < (2/9) > >>

Ilu Asu:

--- Quote from: ladylena on January 19, 2018, 08:02:40 PM ---I do like the idea of a take 20 for crowbars, perhaps it could work something similar to traps and locks? If there is combat or what-have-you you can't take 20. Perhaps even adding a possibility to break something if your strength is waay too low compared to the dc

--- End quote ---

I'm somewhat indifferent towards this because there has been plenty of discussion about rogues and what not, but if anything breaks it should be the crowbar.

Legion XXI:

--- Quote from: Jamila on January 19, 2018, 08:26:13 PM ---Yes, please.

I get the idea the rogues are... less fun on this server, due to the proclivity of sneak attack immune undead and constructs, but the way the systems have gone about promoting them is, how you say... poorly thought out.

At the moment, you really require a rogue to do anything past a relatively low-bar of character level. This is poorly thought out as it more or less holds everybody hostage if they want to adventure past a certain content point. "Nope, don't have that one guy, can't do anything other than sit around with our thumb up our bums today."

This is a bad idea, simply because NWN is a dying game that's playerbase is bleeding away. What are we going to do as that time "we can't adventure because not enough players for rogue population" steadily grows til it's near-impossible to get anything done past level 12 at any time on the clock? That is an eventuality, you know. Maybe a year from now, two, two and a half?

Dungeons and systems need reworked to think of the future. The systems shouldn't hold up an entire server because no one chose that one class.

It's bad enough one character (apparently, so I am told) cannot cross-class and employ items to be a "poor man's" rogue and enable adventure. Server health will fail when we get to the point no one can do much of anything when numbers dwindle and of those left, almost no one chose Rogue.

--- End quote ---

This is a lot of doom and gloom, and honestly just paints a way darker picture than what is actually the case.  While every game eventually does come to an end, there's no indication that's imminent for NWN and you can't just start building all our systems to work on minimum possible personnel when we're regularly getting over 50 players at a time logged on the server.

I've been on a dungeon spree on my low level monk for like 3 RL days now, hitting all the usual low level areas.  I've cross classed open lock and brought a crowbar as well for the party fighter to use.  We didn't get help up due to a door once, and I was able to pick most stuff with just cross-classed OL and some basic buffs/gear. 

Aside from that, you could say that most dungeons require that "one guy" or you can't do them.  I can't tell you how many times I've been on a rogue and couldn't dungeon because me and my fighter friend couldn't find a wizard/cleric to buff us.  Or I've been on a wizard and just couldn't find melee builds with high enough AC to hit dungeons worth doing.  A lot of fighters/barbarians crossclass rogue and dump OL or Disable Trap, or Wizards cross class it and use spells to supplement their roll.  A lot of the time, you can cruise right through a dungeon without a rogue, even after the refiring trap change.  I've done it - my usual crew I dungeon with doesn't have a dedicated rogue and we've been leveling fine.

As far as the actual change itself, as long as it applies to only doors and not chests with loot inside, I think it would be neat.  Not really necessary, but in the "quality of life" department and I think most people would enjoy it.  Less raging at the RNG because you needed a 15 or higher and have rolled below 10 for the last 3 minutes.  :lol:

I don't want the crowbar to break though.  Those things are already 13 lbs each, and honestly that's just a frustration nobody wants to deal with.  To have to "stock up" on 13 pound crowbars before every dungeon would get old fast.  OR have the party high STR character not able to loot as much because he's weighed down with 100 lbs worth of crowbars just to get through doors.

foxtale:
It's a simple quality of life request, not a rogue discussion.

Tycat:
I think there's more rp when it's harder, more of a challenge. I enjoy the fact that I may not roll high enough and that I have to keep trying. I'd be disappointed in a change. Dungeons are already too easy to breeze though, which gives me a headache.

Norture:

--- Quote from: foxtale on January 19, 2018, 09:01:47 PM ---It's a simple quality of life request, not a rogue discussion.

--- End quote ---

This. It'd be a great change IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version