Author Topic: Better Rest  (Read 1746 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Better Rest
« on: January 27, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »
I suggest to you an idea about resting that I have been thinking about since viewing another topic recently about "OOC resting", where the duration of the rest was requested to be longer to prevent sleeping in public for ooc reasons. This is my suggestion to counter it and hopefully make a better case for the kinds of rest you can take.

To preface, I am not entirely sure what the benefits should all entail when one gets "better rest" or "normal rest", but I want to put forth the following. Right now, when you rest you are given options. These are to Pray, to Sit Down, to Sleep, and to Study your Spellbook, and these actions last a few seconds and poof, you're rested. There might be more, and they are class dependent. I am not sure implementing an exhaustion system that requires you to take regular rests is the way to go, i like the hunger, thirst, and exhaustion system we have now, but a function to get better rest could encourage people to RP the need to sleep more often, depending on how long it was that you had a good night's rest.

I suggest that the options do different things. While Praying/Studying/Meditation is good to restore your spell uses, Sitting down should go a step further because you are actually resting your body and mind and being sedentary. It should last a bit longer maybe, and offer you a rested feeling, whatever that means, maybe it can be necessary to process your xp like the food system is.

And on the subject of Sleep, where your character literally lays down and takes a nap, this should be longer and give better benefits. I am not sure of these benefits. Maybe a long time without can cause negative effects like spell failure or removal of the take 20 rolls when using skills.

Suggestions? Thoughts? I think we could do more with the rest features. What about you?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Bpretty

• Undead Slayer
Re: Better Rest
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 03:49:23 AM »

maybe it can be necessary to process your xp like the food system is.

Food only affects your health regained, not your XP gain.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 04:12:15 AM »

If you look closely at your rest message, it tells you that you are too hungry to think and by eating you gain more xp. At least this is what I have been lead to believe by others telling me so. HP gain on rest is determined by camp fire, bedroll, not wearing armor, having food.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Bpretty

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 06:05:13 AM »

If you look closely at your rest message, it tells you that you are too hungry to think and by eating you gain more xp. At least this is what I have been lead to believe by others telling me so. HP gain on rest is determined by camp fire, bedroll, not wearing armor, having food.

Ok buddy.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »
I'm not entirely sure it would contribute to anything meaningful. Inns and taverns would still be regularly empty all across the server since the dining and social areas serve no greater purpose as a result of these propositions, and most people would probably just go and camp in the middle of nowhere with their adventuring party.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Folly

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:25:59 PM »
I always thought there could be a distinction between the different rest methods.  sit/pray/sleep

Realistically, sleeping would recover the body's fatigue more than the other two. Yes it would take longer time also.

I also thought that inn's, beds, etc could provide a greater benefit than a bed roll, as the bed roll provides more benefit than the bare ground.

Yea I think that needing actual SLEEP could matter. If one goes around only praying, eventually they will incur sleep deprivation penalties.

But perhaps this would all get in the way of playing the game and and you might feel like you're playing "The Sims" keeping your character's needs satisfied. However, the need for sleep could be lenient.

I'm totally fine with the current system.  But I've had Tycat's thoughts before.

Rasputin

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:20 PM »
I always thought there could be a distinction between the different rest methods.  sit/pray/sleep

Realistically, sleeping would recover the body's fatigue more than the other two. Yes it would take longer time also.

I also thought that inn's, beds, etc could provide a greater benefit than a bed roll, as the bed roll provides more benefit than the bare ground.

Yea I think that needing actual SLEEP could matter. If one goes around only praying, eventually they will incur sleep deprivation penalties.

But perhaps this would all get in the way of playing the game and and you might feel like you're playing "The Sims" keeping your character's needs satisfied. However, the need for sleep could be lenient.

I'm totally fine with the current system.  But I've had Tycat's thoughts before.

I think the current system is fine too, maybe just add different effects depending upon which option you choose. Also, elves don’t need to sleep, so not every “sleep” would effect every race in the same way.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:40 AM »
I feel like this would be a lot coding for minimal benefit. I think more players than not already roleplay this in indirect ways. Wizards often take longer rests when repicking spells and I think the best enforcer of this is the required amount of time before rests. Unless you have a dungeon down, you often end it with a dead 1-2 that you are too weak to continue in the dungeon, but can't rest yet. That's a great period of time to roleplay rest.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 03:50:28 AM »
Essentially inn rest is a better rest, because it isn't limited.  You can screw up your spell selections and repick them or rest to full hit points with no interference already.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 06:20:58 AM »
My character sleeps properly when I'm logged out.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
This is one of those things that I am fairly ambivalent about. On the one hand I do like the idea that going a prolonged time without sleep would start triggering exhaustion much like running non-stop for hours or carrying an extremely heavy load would, thus encouraging players to have their characters actually take a rest now and again and adding a bit of realism to the game. But on the other hand, since the time-ratio of POTM is technically 1 real-life day = 1 day in the game, despite the fact that you will actually have the day/night cycle repeat itself multiple times in said day, I'm okay with it the way it is. As another player said, your character sleeps when you do or you're not logged in. Either way I'm cool with it.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »

Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.