Author Topic: Stealth characters trigger ambushes and mobs follow them  (Read 1731 times)

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
Stealth characters trigger ambushes and mobs follow them
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:18:28 AM »
Name:
Stealth characters trigger ambushes and mobs follow them

Where:
Crypt under the Morninglord church in the Vallaki outskirts.

When:
Happens 100% of the time

What:
When characters stealth through the crypt, they will trigger the ambushes that spawn undead and despite not being spotted, the undead will follow the stealthed character. They will break doors to continue following and they will literally crowd around the character. It makes it very difficult to stealth through and has gotten me killed a couple times.

Recreate:
Go anywhere with an ambush while in stealth. The mobs will spawn and follow you.

Ideas:
The triggers that spawn the ambushes affect characters that shouldn't be detectable by any ambushing undead. Idk how it could be fixed, maybe make it so stealthed characters don't trigger the ambush if they pass a hide/move silently roll.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
Re: Stealth characters trigger ambushes and mobs follow them
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:06:16 AM »
Yeah, anywhere that has mobs that path towards you, this will happen. The overseers temple is another. They'll constantly receive updates on where your character is as if to fight you, but since they can't see or target you to begin the fight they just end up following you forever.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:23:23 AM by Philos »

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 04:58:11 AM »
Yeah, it's annoying to anyone but for someone who would have in all likelihood made the check v their detection in the first place but isn't guaranteed to do so forever it's pretty unfair and nonsensical.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
This even happens with mpcs. Even if they are friendly, they'll follow through the entire map.
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »
It's actually kinda neat when it happens with AMPCS. You can get a horde of undead following you in certain areas... though its a double edge sword, because often they'll completely surround you and you can't move.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
Not that it could explain all the cases, this sounds like how they behave when they can hear something but not see it (usually due to having succeeded hiding or staying invisible, but not moving silently).

That said, I'll give it a look and try to figure out what's up.

GeneralBonobo

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
I've actually had this happen in Terg Ruins, but just with standard vampires when I was invisible, they'd walk and follow me all across the map no matter how far away I was. They'd stop where I was standing, and then move to where I was standing again a few seconds later. It was really odd.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:37 AM »
For some of these such as the skeleton spawns beneath the ML Temple, I assume that their default 'spawn' point is constantly reset to the players' position, though interestingly I've used summons as proxies to trip the triggers that spawn the mobs and they end up pathing to me after a few minutes anyway.