Author Topic: Crypt Raider Balance: Slippery Soul  (Read 1132 times)

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
Crypt Raider Balance: Slippery Soul
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »
Hi!

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding Crypt Raider, specifically the Slippery Soul class feature. Presently it gives bonuses to avoiding curses - something I don't think has much use outside of maybe DM events. (When was the last time someone used Bestow Curse on you?)
I understand it's pulled directly from the sourcebook, but I feel its specificity is more useful in a pnp campaign.

Instead, I propose that Slippery Soul could grant bonuses to saves vs Negative Energy (helpful with negative energy traps and against many undead attacks), or possibly resistance to Sinkhole of Evil Will save penalties. Both I feel would aptly describe 'Slippery Soul', and be of more utility.

Thanks!

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Crypt Raider Balance: Slippery Soul
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
Negative energy is rather broad. Maybe a bonus to resist level drain instead (if that can be implemented)? It feels a bit more along the lines of what Slippery Soul is aiming for. Or maybe a bonus to resisting disease.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Crypt Raider Balance: Slippery Soul
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »
I agree with ethinos that Negative Energy resistance is too broad; I also wish I could add saves versus level/ability drain but alas we can't do that in NwN (they fall under Negative when it comes to saving throws).

For now, I'll leave it as it is. I know it's not the most useful ability in the world but it doesn't hurt to have it either.