You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Detailed List of New Feats - Hak Update (2)  (Read 20679 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Detailed List of New Feats - Hak Update (2)
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2018, 10:41:53 PM »
Is there any chance we could make many people's dreams come true and add quarter staff to the list of weapons useable in Unorthodox Flurry?

That's been discussed at length on the Discord; the unfortunate reply is no, it's not feasible because of the way the hardcoded stuff works.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »
Yes, I see that the post was already answered in the thread previously and I just missed it. Thanks for clarifying for me.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »
As aprog explained, it is not in fact a hyperbole in the cases I myself ascribed, e.g. not a gnome or a dwarf. Having an odd constitution score for a single feat, is, also, shooting yourself in the foot in the term of ability point investment.

When I've experimented around, it seems difficult not to either overpay for a stat or wind up at level 20 without an odd stat. A PC begins with 78 points and gets 5 points along the road, or 83 total.

Getting 2 AC for that odd stat is, as Troukk says, sweet :)

For that high of a level investment, for a pure class that otherwise with that 15 con would actually suffer more than it'd gain.

Yeah, no, it's not actually worth it when you can invest less ability points and take a rogue cross class for much more AC from tumble.

Jamila

• New to the Mists
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »
Is there any chance we could make many people's dreams come true and add quarter staff to the list of weapons useable in Unorthodox Flurry?

That's been discussed at length on the Discord; the unfortunate reply is no, it's not feasible because of the way the hardcoded stuff works.

I am a little curious though, I've seen it done before (without haks even, Mithreas is a genius).

Anyways, is there any ETA on when we might expect this? Having a pretty borked character from last update and sitting around waiting is not a fun experience...

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2018, 12:49:58 AM »
-Added Expert Dungeoneer

HolyFlyingTarkusBatman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a 15 CON score. A simple endurance spell or potion at the opportun time can get you up to 20 and make up for that slight difference with a score of 16. More HP , higher fortitude, it is always good reasons for a high CON regardless of feats. It might not be your preference in a built , but a shot in the foot? Hell no.

What I'd like to see though are even more CON based feats. So if you have suggestions, from official D20 sources, do provide them and we'll assess if they would be a good fit for the module.

Crazy thought, but what about allowing pure figthers with high constitution (17+ maybe) to take the first level of Epic Damage Reduction? the 3/- it provides is less than a barbarian or dwarven defender gets so it doesn't crib on them too much and it would require a conscious investment toward tankiness over offense (sacrificing strength and dex for more con) but might make that CON investment more attractive at the same time.

Just a (literal) shower thought.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2018, 03:23:00 AM »
Request:

A significant and common complaint about the monk class is that the AB isn't quite up to snuff with the role the class is supposed to play. It's also the only middle BAB class that doesn't have some form of self-buff, UMD, or Taunt to help mitigate this.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see monk be made into a full BAB class to bring it more in line with something like Ranger.. But given that this isn't likely to be the case, is there any way we could allow monks access to the Greater Weapon Focus feat?

HolyFlyingTarkusBatman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
Request:

A significant and common complaint about the monk class is that the AB isn't quite up to snuff with the role the class is supposed to play. It's also the only middle BAB class that doesn't have some form of self-buff, UMD, or Taunt to help mitigate this.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see monk be made into a full BAB class to bring it more in line with something like Ranger.. But given that this isn't likely to be the case, is there any way we could allow monks access to the Greater Weapon Focus feat?

I liked a suggestion I saw in a previous thread suggesting a feat of some form to let Monk's temporarily add their Wisdom modifier to their AB at the cost of a stunning fist use. Would be less of a crib on Fighter's already limited territory while still addressing the issue of not being able to hit things.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:33 AM »
Request:

I liked a suggestion I saw in a previous thread suggesting a feat of some form to let Monk's temporarily add their Wisdom modifier to their AB at the cost of a stunning fist use. Would be less of a crib on Fighter's already limited territory while still addressing the issue of not being able to hit things.

I mean. That would sort of help? but it would also make the other stunning fist options even less useful. Given that fighter is a full AB class already, and that GWF can get them into pretty ridiculous AB territories, I don't see it stepping on fighter's toes. Even with GWF+WF, a monk is still going to have less AB than the equivalent fighter would have without any feats at all.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2018, 02:25:57 AM »
It won't and shouldn't have a fighters AB, but the enormous amount of other differences and advantages they have should make up for it.  If a monk had a fighters equivalent AB, they'd have to miss out in other ways, not least being that incredibly potent Spell Resistance, their excellent saves, mobility, and AC, all of which are better than a fighters, as well as having a much higher number of attacks per round.  Giving it the same BAB as a fighter is a rather ridiculous request considering that the monk is superior in all four of those categories, and the BAB is the 'only' thing the fighter has over the monk.  There were quite a few buffs to monks in previous updates, I'm not sure this is really quite necessary.

buyonegetonefree

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »
No one suggested granting to monk exactly the same AB , as fighter got. Just one feat to improve it. Clearly, GWF for monks shouldn't be available on lower lvls, allowing them to compete with fighter's AB early on, having all other neat abilities at the same time. Besides, while I was playing monk, I get feeling that increased amount of unarmed attacks per round can be utilized only when monk is warded by wizard and cleric at the same time. Most part of monk attacks still keep missing target, if character lacking clerical ab buffs.

Just my two cents.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
It won't and shouldn't have a fighters AB, but the enormous amount of other differences and advantages they have should make up for it.  If a monk had a fighters equivalent AB, they'd have to miss out in other ways, not least being that incredibly potent Spell Resistance, their excellent saves, mobility, and AC, all of which are better than a fighters, as well as having a much higher number of attacks per round.  Giving it the same BAB as a fighter is a rather ridiculous request considering that the monk is superior in all four of those categories, and the BAB is the 'only' thing the fighter has over the monk.  There were quite a few buffs to monks in previous updates, I'm not sure this is really quite necessary.

As stated in the post you were replying to, even if monks got GWF, they would still not have "Fighter AB." Even with both feats taken, they'd have 15+1+2=18 AB. Without any feats whatsoever, a fighter has 20. With those same feats, a fighter gets 23 and the fighter has more feats to spare on them.

The previous buffs were okay, but none of them are useful if a monk can't perform its primary function -- punching things in the face.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2018, 01:43:20 PM »
Maybe discussion about Monk buffing goes to seperate thread ? i keep coming back here to read update on new feats and i find just same old discussion about Monk.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
Maybe discussion about Monk buffing goes to seperate thread ? i keep coming back here to read update on new feats and i find just same old discussion about Monk.

+1
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

gainreduction

• Cool Dungeon Bro
  • Undead Master
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:57 AM »
All look very good and fair to me.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
Wish I had noted the newer feats before. D'oh! My bad.

[Rhetra quietly writes down Crossbow Sniper and Axiomatic Strike with a note saying "Purchase next time at store..."]
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-