You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: RE: Monk  (Read 1765 times)

AbraxasTH

• Outlander
RE: Monk
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »
So basically it was my intent to provide a character that is both a monk and cleric to the story-line of the server. However, upon attempting to level into cleric I was given an error message and took to the discord to request further information as I did not see within the rules that monks cannot multi-class. Contrary to popular belief, I _have_ read the rules and have requested information on a near-daily basis joining this server.

As it was within my characters lore, he is a Monk of Majere from Krynn (Dragonlance) and as of such has closely worked with healers and clerics (also pretty much _is_ a cleric by default as he is a religious monk of the God Majere). He has already got a no-gold oath, as well as is forbidden to wield bladed objects in battle (my monk has gone further and refuses even basic polearms such as staves). Further limitations upon this character are his oath to not intervene with physical force unless all other means have been exhausted, aka he wont just run in and power-roll some player even if the player is blatantly engaging in what is obviously wrong behaviour (such as murder). As of such, you are probably getting an understanding that this Monk / Cleric idea is not to fluff my own feathers or to be imbalanced and to be a "rule-bender" I beleive it fits well with my characters lore, my method of playing, as well as has the potential to deeply immerse my character within the storyline of the server. My monk is already dedicated to servitude, humility, charity and sharing the "Light". Many of these factors are already limiting me, such as no gold and the high-level of pacifism. I am basically asking to further-limit my desired Monk/Cleric in a way that will be overall fair, balanced, and story-enriching.

Due to these facts, I thought it was worth asking if the rules could possibly permit a strictly balanced version of my character designed by a prominent Dungeon Master. I can understand that the rules blatantly say that Monks cannot multi-class. If there is literally zero chance of me being able to make this character a reality due to server rules, is it therefore reasonable that I may have an entire re-roll of my character? He is level four and has no gear (or gold) that I would wish to keep a hold of (except maybe the armour which is cloth 0AC and purely aesthetic).

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: RE: Monk
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
The rules are clear on this point, I'm afraid. But you are welcome to submit a remake application (see here) to refashion your character, though of course it is not guaranteed.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

AbraxasTH

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
Thanks Arawn I beleive I have succesfully sent the request your inbox.

Dextan

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
If you need advices for char builds and POTM realities, feel free to send me private messages or PM me in the game, my char names are Dextan and Babata.
A man: ''Gosh what are you eating?''
Dextan: ''My last kill... ?''
A man: ''But its a SPIDER!''
Dextan: ''Your right... should started with the head''

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »
Something you might consider trying would be monk/divine champion split. That is allowed by our rules as DC is a PRC class. While not a cleric, DCs are often seen as the right arm of many faiths and can be deeply involved with their Church.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
Something you might consider trying would be monk/divine champion split. That is allowed by our rules as DC is a PRC class. While not a cleric, DCs are often seen as the right arm of many faiths and can be deeply involved with their Church.

That would be a tough build. I looked at it as a path for Suspiria when I was first coming up with her as a concept, but Cha is one of the only stats you can ignore as a monk. For DC, Cha is critical, and a monk would have no innate way of buffing it.

The eventual saves would be pretty sweet, though :)

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
It's by no means mechanically easy to pull, I was just commenting that this might be a reachable middle ground over monk cleric. You are right though Iridni, the saves on that class would be absurd.

AbraxasTH

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
Have the DM's reached a verdict?  :?: :?: :?:

Please notify me on this post or via forum PM when voting has closed tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:11:44 PM by AbraxasTH »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »
Punchy clerics are pretty viable now. I've been wanting to make an unarmed monk of the Divinity of Mankind for a while.
: )

Pav

• Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »

That would be a tough build. I looked at it as a path for Suspiria when I was first coming up with her as a concept, but Cha is one of the only stats you can ignore as a monk. For DC, Cha is critical, and a monk would have no innate way of buffing it.

The eventual saves would be pretty sweet, though :)

Cha is really not 'critical'. You could have 10 or 12 and still do fine with potions. The reason you get DC is the saves and feats, mostly -- Divine Wrath is a nice little bonus, so is LayOnHands, but not the core mechanics of the class. I think this build is rather good and should be something religious monks consider heavily.