Author Topic: Valeriu Caragiale - The Declining Nobility  (Read 894 times)

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Valeriu Caragiale - The Declining Nobility
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:06:27 AM »
Valeriu Caragiale was born in the year of 745 BC during a bright and prosperous spring to two dedicated parents; Andrei and Elena. As was tradition for the last three generations of the Caragiale family, their son was intended to inherit their business of mercantile interests; nothing so prosperous as the well known bloodlines of Barovia, but more than successful enough to afford an education abroad for their child. From his sixteenth birthday, Valeriu was frequently sent abroad to learn from tutors on various subjects; language in both it's written and spoken forms being an important point for his upbringing as well as some small education in financial dealings and the mathematics behind them.

Valeriu's time abroad was chiefly spent in two regions of the Core; Dementlieu and Darkon. His yearly forays into education varied from private tutors to more common sources of learning such as Ezrite monasteries and churches during the leaner years. From his time in these locales he learned a great deal of the local language, though almost nothing of their customs; as intended by his father whom feared time spent abroad might introduce strange ideas into young Valeriu's head as he learned of the world around him.

Even with what most would considered a privileged upbringing, Valeriu was given harsh stipulations to his time spent abroad; his budgetary expenditures were closely monitored by his parents and he was kept to a strict amount of coin with every trip abroad which ensured he did not engage in unseemly pursuits of the brash youth. In addition, he was only permitted to spend up to one year abroad at a time, followed by his return to Barovia to assist his parents in their vocations. So tightly bound to his people's culture while still studying abroad created a reclusive student; one whom was oft remarked to be gruff and stoic by his peers in kinder company, while others scorned him as being the result of a backwater country doomed to obscurity.

While these measures served to ensure Valeriu's obedience to decorum and custom, his own intent did not lie within the business of trade. While he was more than capable of conducting profitable ventures, his heart longed for something that hearkened back to his family's earlier lineage and the deeds associated with it. Following the twenty-fourth anniversary of his birth, Valeriu began to pursue private tutelage in other subjects unrelated to business; anatomical studies, medical knowledge, military tactics, the rule of law and even some minor effort was spent to learn how to forage in the wilderness and fortify campsites. Funded by brief personal pursuits of trade, his learning continued with his father little the wiser; his assumptions that his son was finally preparing to take control and rise to the challenge of the family business and that he continued to study in accordance with this left him blind to the truth of his son's devotion.

Three years passed by as Valeriu continued his pursuits, while his parents were forced to abandon their holdings in Zeidenburg following a calamitous crash in their trades; not enough to ruin the family but enough to require a quieter life in nearby Berez. With his wife's health on the decline in the years after his second son died in childbirth, Andrei was able to spend less time devoted to pursuing coin and more living a simple, quiet life. His temperament mellowed as time went on, such that when his son's twenty-seventh birthday arrived and passed, his outrage at his son's announced intent to pursue a life in service to the Barovian people and a career within the provincial military was less than it might have been half a decade earlier. Though still furious at his the perceived waste of effort in seeing his only son educated and the betrayal of the family holdings, he could not find it in his heart to disown his child.

Valeriu's relationship with his father remains a cold, bitter affair with very little word shared between them on the rare occasions they meet; Valeriu sending letters like clockwork to correspond with his parents and occasionally travelling to see them in person being the chief opportunities for reconciliation. His mother, Elena, still holds her son as the dearest love of her life, though it pains her to see her son and husband so distanced. Knowing that his father would not accept his declaration, Valeriu wisely leveraged his last dealings and saw to it that there was enough coin available for him to establish himself in Vallaki and make preparations for the future.

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Re: Valeriu Caragiale - The Declining Nobility
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:36:23 PM »
In an attempt to retain the knowledge he worked so hard for, Valeriu made it a frequent point of writing his thoughts and musings into diaries, though never anything of great import in case they were stolen. While the script is legible and his dates are kept in the Barovian fashion, he frequently writes in other languages to practice; the occasional mistake is scratched out where he has mistakenly written in the wrong language by habit.

"Duminică 26th noiembrie, 772 BC.

In the rush to abdicate from my father's presence and my responsibilities, my diary was lost and with it, most of my prior ramblings. Having left Berez and made arrangements within Vallaki, I have begun to settle into the city. Every city, town and hamlet in Barovia is different in it's own ways and this one is no exception. So much stonework in it's making, not all of it made by Barovian hands if the histories are true. The city is busy, though less so during the colder days; so much fishing and harvesting nearby even if the lake is filled with things lurking.

For now I have spent my remaining coin retaining a modest room and securing some simple trade contracts; only now, a week after my arrival, do I have the time to sit and gather my thoughts to commit them to writing. My father was right in his claims that this city was full of good trade opportunities at least; I am at no risk of going hungry for the time being and there appears to be no lack for work. I shall continue until I have accrued enough Fang for future expenses and then see to other matters.

Even as the city thrives on commerce, there is no lack for problems nearby. Vallaki has not one but two places of worship to the Sun Cultists of Lathander and a further church of Ezra resides in the wealthier area of town. One of these  temples resides outside the western edges of the city, where all manner of strange people appear. The city Garda make a point of frequent patrols and seem to have permanent need for eyes and ears on the western gates for signs of scandalagiu  troublemakers; if it resembles my time in Dementlieu I can only assume it to be a frustrating experience at best to deal with such foreigners.

For now I shall rest and continue my work come ieri  tomorrow, best to keep busy."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:11:18 AM by Grendel »

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:37 PM »
"Luni 27th noiembrie, 772 BC.

The trade between Vallaki and Krofburg is booming; even having to travel amidst the Balinok Mountains does not deter most folk from the regular source of wealth and for good reason. The coin I have earned over the past week has afforded me much in peace of mind and shall be set aside in the banks for some time until I have need of it. The Garda garrisoned within Vallaki have taken to performing checks on those travelling between the two however; claims of contraband being carried both ways were made. The Corporal I spoke with seemed to have his hands full with the cold winds and the amount of people making the trip, not to mention the fact that some of them were necurat  outlandish types.

I will be glad to be done with my trade between the two places; Krofburg has lured all manner of strangeness to their homes. The great sea of tents flapping in the cold air is unsightly and the people within often moreso; there are too few Barovians for my liking in their ranks, not to mention I've spotted a few Caliban amongst them. I admit it is good that they seek to be useful and have a trade, but it is still too bizarre to see them drifting between the tents at night. The less time I spend in Krofburg, the better I suspect I shall feel."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:11:27 AM by Grendel »

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:48:30 AM »
"Sāmbătă 2nd, decembrie, 772 BC.

I presented myself to the Citadel today and sought to volunteer for the Garda and was accepted. Following some time spent being taught some useful things and being shown the premises, I was directed to join a Private in an exercise along the road, to watch for contraband and travellers, as well as a patrol to the western edge of Vallaki where all the foreigners congregate.

For now I shall spend my time acquainting myself more fully with the regional laws of Vallaki and think on what next should be done."