Author Topic: Practiced Spellcaster?  (Read 1433 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Practiced Spellcaster?
« on: November 23, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
Any chance of us seeing Practiced Spellcaster implemented someday?

Practiced Spellcaster

( Complete Divine, p. 82)

[General]

Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful.

Prerequisite

Spellcraft 4 ranks,

Benefit

Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4. This can't increase your caster level beyond your HD. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain noncaster-level HD you may be able to apply the rest of the bonus. For example, a human 5th-level cleric/3rd-level fighter who selects this feat would increase his cleric caster level from 5th to 8th (since he has 8 HD). If he later gained a fighter level, he would gain the remainder of the bonus and his cleric caster level would become 9th (since he now has 9 HD). A character with two or more spellcasting classes (such as a bard/sorcerer or a ranger/druid) must choose which class gains the feat's effect. This does not affect your spells per day or spells known. It only increases your caster level, which would help you penetrate SR and increase the duration and other effects of your spells.

Special

You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you choose it, you must apply it to a different spellcasting class. For instance, a 4th-level cleric/5th-level wizard who had selected this feat twice would cast cleric spells as an 8th-level caster and wizard spells as a 9th-level caster.
: )

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Practiced Spellcaster?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »
This feat has been discussed a few times in the past among the Dev team. Game engine limitations prevent the feat to be implemented as is. But even if we could do it power balance issues would need to be considered.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »
They have feats like that for most classes but they are a bit too powerful to be added.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
This feat has been discussed a few times in the past among the Dev team. Game engine limitations prevent the feat to be implemented as is.

How's that? The Bard's Inspire Spellpower feat does essentially the same thing except on a temporary basis.

I've given the balance angle a bit of consideration and I don't think it'd be all that bad. The scariest build I can think of with it would be cleric/wiz: you'd be a 14/14 caster at level 20, which is a pretty big deal I guess, but it'd mean spreading your stats between int and wis to get any efficiency out of it and by being forced out of armor I think the cleric would actually be considerably weaker in some aspects than a regular 20 cleric.

Plus, this'd be another big buff for classes like Palemaster.
: )

SpaceHam

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 02:13:46 AM »
Practiced Spellcaster would make me want to roll a Cleric Wizard, at the moment, there is no benefit other that authenticity to making a Mystran Cleric Wizard for example, because you shoot yourself in the foot between both classes, better to go pure cleric for healing, hp, and CL.

Practice Spellcaster would make me squeal like a little girl.

I'll pray to Santa.
Characters:
Tristyn Ondar: Dweomerkeeper of Mystra
Casavel Aelorothi - Feywarden of Corellon Larethian
Kythaela Orifiel: Degannwyian protectress and ranger
Qyral Sundervoss: Star-elf Sorcerer Supreme