Author Topic: Xeph OCR  (Read 870 times)

aliceofthevoid

• Undead Master
  • Friendly Neighborhood Nightmare
Xeph OCR
« on: February 14, 2022, 04:01:45 PM »
Seems a bit odd to me that Xephs, despite being described as rather alien and inhuman looking, still have human-equivalent OCR in Barovia. Wouldn't it be more appropriate for it to be closer to that of elves?

GrosslyIncandescent

• New to the Mists
Re: Xeph OCR
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »
I've felt a bit conflicted on how to RP this as well.

From the Subrace thread:
Note that while xeph characters may hide their features under a helm, it is otherwise obvious at all time that they are not humans.

Other than their height/weight, this is about all that is listed for specific physical characteristics:
Dark Skin
Black straight hair
Dark eyes
Pointed ears

It also says that there is some resemblance to the Gith, but doesn't elaborate on what physical traits they might share with them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:01:39 PM by GrosslyIncandescent »

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 04:47:32 PM »
I've combed the web looking for more extensive info on Xephs and come up with sadly very little.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »
Xeph:

These ain't getting mistaken for a human.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

GrosslyIncandescent

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 05:01:27 PM »
Xeph:

These ain't getting mistaken for a human.

These are pretty much the only images we have as examples. That said, this depicts their eyes as bright, whereas the written description says they have dark eyes. A mistake I initially made when I was relying on these vary same images for descriptions to draw from.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:23:32 PM by GrosslyIncandescent »

mstrlzard

• Undead Slayer
  • ~Akadus~ "'Evening cutter!"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 05:03:59 PM »
I would agree they seem to fit in the OCR range of elves.
😳

GrosslyIncandescent

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 05:25:46 PM »
I would agree they seem to fit in the OCR range of elves.

I certainly thought it would be higher when I made mine, based on the descriptions provided.

aliceofthevoid

• Undead Master
  • Friendly Neighborhood Nightmare
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 05:29:02 PM »
I've combed the web looking for more extensive info on Xephs and come up with sadly very little.

Same, I can find a blurb about them in the expanded psionics handbook but i haven't been able to find any other sources from the books to try to piece it together.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:35:06 PM »
We can work it out from the OCR guide in the Ravenloft DMG

Size: Medium (+1)
Appearance: Distinctly Inhuman (+2)
Unnatural Powers (+1)

Giving an overall total of OCR 4. Aasimar are base OCR 2. Elves, dwarves and drownlings (creepy children who are actually murderous fey creatures) are base OCR 3. Drow are base OCR 5. Tieflings are base OCR 7 (in tabletop, just realising that a tiefling is in the room with you may be cause to make a horror save).

Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 07:10:26 PM »
This seems a reasonable approach. We'll discuss it at our next dev meeting.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 04:40:40 AM »
Not to be that person, but judging by the images presented above, this feels like Caliban territory to me. It doesn't make sense that the ones to the left in this image are viewed as monsters by the Barovians, while this insectoid horror with glowing eyes to the right gets a pass. Bumping up the OCR to elf level would be a decent compromise that doesn't negatively affect current players of the race too much.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 04:47:34 AM by Krosenq »
Active: Warrick Geth - Journal and Story

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 06:35:32 AM »
The Dev team agrees with Inkcorvid's proposal, we'll give them a +4 OCR bump as outlined by the Ravenloft DMG guidelines.

Size: Medium (+1)
Appearance: Distinctly Inhuman (+2)
Unnatural Powers (+1)
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

bestbardna

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »
Not to be that person, but judging by the images presented above, this feels like Caliban territory to me. It doesn't make sense that the ones to the left in this image are viewed as monsters by the Barovians, while this insectoid horror with glowing eyes to the right gets a pass. Bumping up the OCR to elf level would be a decent compromise that doesn't negatively affect current players of the race too much.

To be fair, those half-orcs are from 4e/5e, where established lore and imagery takes a backseat to making everyone pretty and accepted.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 08:15:28 AM »

To be fair, those half-orcs are from 4e/5e, where established lore and imagery takes a backseat to making everyone pretty and accepted.

Fair enough. Even so, I think the Xeph looks like a malnourished Caliban with bug-eyes 😁
Active: Warrick Geth - Journal and Story