You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Allowing Counterspell Combat Mode Into the Shortcut Bar  (Read 1750 times)

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
Allowing Counterspell Combat Mode Into the Shortcut Bar
« on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:08 PM »
Recently I looked up the mechanics of Dispells and Counterspell Combat Mode, tried the latter in game and had a short, but enjoyable RP experience. So as another spell caster's combat mode which is rarely used (defensive casting), I wanted to add it to my Quickslot bar, but was unable to do it. At first I wanted to report it as a bug, but made a random campaign game and saw the same thing, not really categorizing it as a "bug".

I wouldn't know the exact proportions of classes played on the server, but I think there are a bit more casters than non-casters, if not a same amount of both. I couldn't also know the reasons why Counterspell isn't often used, but how players cannot have instant access to it may be a part in this. I don't think it's necessary to give a list of situations where this mode could be useful, despite early and late PvM, PvP or even just pissing people off because counterspelling doesn't break invisibility.

As for a suggestion for the Team... the first thing that comes to my mind, despite how many counterspells there are stocked in a list (as I think it is), is to, if possible, add the targeting cursor to the Mode... Even if it sounds somewhat "too-easy" {since Counterspell can only be activated using the radial menu on an enemy ~4 clicks, huh}. Just that could solve the "problem", from my perspective.

Of course, if nothing can be done, everyone can live without.

Hero~
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Allowing Counterspell Combat Mode Into the Shortcut Bar
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:39:58 PM »
I've played as and played with wizards and sorcerer's who do put counterspells to use. My opinion based off my own experience at least is that the reason it isn't seen more often is simply because it's rarely more useful for you to prepare counterspells and then use the ability than it is for you to simply use other spells, save for a few specific encounters in pve. In pvp it certainly has it's uses, though still, two mages going head to head in pvp are more likely to be rushing haste, mantle and breaches.

All of that being said, it would be nice if you could put it on the action bar, mostly just a convenience thing. It's not terribly difficult to target it with the radial menu anyway.

I'm not certain if that could be done without a hak, if at all. As the current hak development is so far along I'd be surprised to see it implemented anytime soon, if it can be and needs a hak.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 12:16:44 AM »
I fully agree and I'd add to that how the feature can be used against classes with low amounts of spells (i.e. paladin, ranger, bards, assassins... if such knowledge is given IC) or even some epic monsters... well, limited to fifth (or sixth) circle and lower, excluding Mordenkainen's disjunction at ninth circle. And yes, all that would be for convenience mostly for more defensive oriented casters (arcane and divine) and "support" oriented, protecting the front from enemy casters and the like (I don't think countering causes attack of opportunity). I'll also state, for those who don't know, that Dispell spells are "universal counters", which is useful for sorcerers/bards or anyone who don't have access to a large variety of spells.
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

reConfigured

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
... though still, two mages going head to head in pvp are more likely to be rushing haste, mantle and breaches...

Immediately counterspell haste using slow (low spell slot requirement), dispel or haste itself. Then follow up with your cast of haste, mantle, breaches. I doubt that the enemy wizard will expect a counterspell of his haste and as such be quickly thrown off rotation. Or at least behind ;) I haven't done much PvP in Ravenloft though, so take with a grain of salt.

Also... "A hasted caster can only be countered by a hasted counterspeller," if you get yours off before haste you'll be a step beyond in terms of being counterspelled yourself, but if you do not I guess you are two steps back.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:06:15 AM by reConfigured »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »
Unfortunately I think this is one of those hard-coded issues of the old game. Not sure if there are any possible work-arounds...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo