Author Topic: Friendly Letters  (Read 829 times)

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
Friendly Letters
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
[Within a small waxed bag they sit. A small collection of unsent letters, neatly arranged and carefully sealed. Some short, some long, but all addressed to the same person. Bill.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Bill,
   This is Amalricus, writing to you from a lovely fog-ridden country by the name of Barovia, near the city of Vallaki. First things first, you know I didn't desert, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I didn't desert. Got no bloody clue how I ended up here, but I figure it was some trickery by one of Iuz' lackeys. Probably meant to dump the whole company out here! Lucky I stumbled into whatever business they had planned. Well, lucky for everyone else, not so much for me.
   Not any folks around these parts that seem to know Furyondy is even a country. Doesn't bode well for a quick and easy trip home, but you know how I am. I'll find a way. Won't matter how many oceans or miles in my way. For now, I'm doing my best to save up a little coin for the journey home. Hope by the time this reaches you that Iuz'll be ashes, and you'll finally get to settle down with that lass you fancy back in Gorsend! Failing that, I hope I'm back in time to help the Axes with whatever needs doing. Hope to see you soon, old friend.

Sincerely,
         Amalricus Headstrong

P.S. I'm sending a single coin from this place with this letter! They call it a Wolf Fang.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
Re: Friendly Letters
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
Dear Bill,
   Been almost a week since I wrote my last letter. No such luck finding a courier to take it. Can't even find anyone who knows what direction to head to get to Furyondy! You'd swear these people don't even know what goes on ten miles from where they live. Probably don't. Half the folk here think all halflings are thieves. Near boils my blood, it does. Had to stop myself from cleaving the shins out from under a few people. Can't afford to pay fines or spend time in jail though, that's the one thing stopping me from getting into scraps. Next time we're in Littleberg we'll have to stop by the Brass Ring and have ourselves a proper friendly brawl with the locals. Reckon they'll look forward to trying to pay us back for the last time we visited!
   Managed to find myself a lass here, a blacksmith, what can fashion weapons that burn a little out of beetle bits. Can you even believe that? I'm gonna try and bring a few back with me, maybe we can learn how to do it ourselves. If we even have the right kind of beetles around. Figure the weapons would be great help against some of the shamblers that come across the border, and if not we might be able to sell them. Either way, they'll be of some use!

Sincerely,
        Amalricus Headstrong

P.S. Found a stout here you'd love! Shame I can't send a barrel to you.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
Re: Friendly Letters
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:27:50 PM »
Dear Bill,
   Another week! Or more, probably. Turns out an awful lot can happen in a week or so. Had some run ins with a few wolves, some angry beetles (the ones I mentioned before!), and even some shamblers! The drills and tactic lesson you gave the Axes really payed off. Starting to get a real handle on my skills. Get it? Axe handle. You'll probably laugh when you read this, either with me or at me. You'd be proper impressed with my throwing skills in particular, I like to think. Might have to start knocking bottles off of the lads' heads for silver!
   Decided that since I'm like to be stuck here for a lot longer than a few weeks, I started to pick up blacksmithing to get a proper income. Da always told me I had hands for hammering. Suppose he thought I'd pick up carpentry like he did, though. He never expected you to wander through town and have me grab an axe instead. He always was proud of me whenever I stopped back home, at least. Little Amalricus, a proper soldier! Don't think he ever did quite get the whole mercenary bit, but that's alright! Was grand to see a smile on his face.
   Did make some progress on getting home. Supposedly the gypsy folk (they call them Vistani) know how to travel around the world quick-like using mists or somesuch! Not much to go on, but it is a start. Even if they can't get me back home, they might know something or someone who can go about it. Might be able to send a letter, at the least. With luck, I can hand you these letters myself. That might be a bit awkward, though. Might wait a few days for you to get the letters first while I get proper drunk.

Sincerely,
        Amalricus Headstrong

P.S. Tried to lop off a werewolf tail for you, but they change back when they die. Sent a bit of fur I got off my axe instead!