You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Fey'ri suggestions  (Read 3597 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Fey'ri suggestions
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
I've recently been thinking about the Fey'ri subrace. And I do believe they get shafted, especially in comparison with other +3 ELC subraces.

A disclaimer, however : This is from my (admittedly) limited knowledge. I could be wrong about certain aspects. Feedback on this would be appreciated.

ISSUES:

1) Alter Self : This isn't possible for fey'ri on the server. Now, this I understand, mind. It's just not feasible. But it's a still a big part of what Fey'ri do. Certainly much RP potential lost this way.

2) No winged flight. Like above, understandable but still a pity.

3) Demonic Abilities. Every fey’ri has four special abilities drawn from a list. Now, as far as I can tell, they only get 2:

Fire resistance 10 : works as intended, no problems there.

Damage Reduction 10/Cold iron : Has been turned to 10/+1. Which, while handy at lower levels, can be easily negated by say Magic Weapon, a low-tier spell. Which...sounds a bit off to me. After all, it's supposed to be a resistance that is not easily pierced at all, except by Cold Iron. Also, there's quite a few creatures that have DR themselves, and considering the sadistic ( yet great) difficulty prevalent to this server, I can assume that mobs wield +1 swords in no time.

SUGGESTIONS

1) Now, as I recall, Cold Iron weapons have a +2 to outsiders. So why not make the Damage Reduction 10/+2? This way, the resistance can be pierced by magic, but it takes a fairly skilled mage (level eight) to pull it off. It seems more appropriate to me.

2) Fast Healing 1 : Outsiders do have such capacities, and fast-healing would be a useful, but non-overpowered tool. After all, healing 1 health point per round isn't going to help you much if you get your ass kicked in general. Also, it would be fun to rp explaining away the ability.

3) Spell resistance : Tanarukk have it, which have the fiendish heritage as well. But Tiefllings don't.....Perhaps a middle path ? 8 + class level or such?

I'm not saying I wish all three things at once for the Fey'ri. But it would be great to have at least one to reinforce the diminished capacities of the Fey'ri.

Anyway, that's my two cents, hope it doesn't sound too much like complaining. I love the server and the developers and DM's do great work in my opinion!

julienchab

Re: Fey'ri suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »
Fey'ri are going out from playable subraces soon, from what EO said,

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »
As Juli said, Fey'ri are no longer available.. but those that already exist can still be played.. that said, I can say the reason tieflings don't have SR is because of the fact they aren't half findish, the blood laid dormant for generations.... being mixed more and more.. with normal races then with demons.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Zilvai

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
As a Fey'ri player, just recently, I expected to get much more of the template when I got it, I have to say. The no Alterself bit makes the concept a bit harder then what I formerly intended. Even with the race being taken out, I would be happy to have some fixes / compromises to make the race a bit more ECL+3.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
Yep, as others have said, we're no longer granting Fey'ri so this is a bit of a moot point.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Desident

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
Semi-Moot point. There are still Fey'ri on the server. So the extra love would certainly be appreciated. :3

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
We're not going to add any fixes or improvements to a subrace that is no longer supported. Any existing fey'ri will stay as-is.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for Fey'ri being removed?

Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
Probably because their real features were never supported mechanically, and it is probably a hassle to ask for consistent model changes to reflect Alter Self.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 10:56:05 PM »

Because there's no way to reproduce their key features, and there's only supposed to be a very small, finite amount of them in existence at any given time.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »

Because there's no way to reproduce their key features, and there's only supposed to be a very small, finite amount of them in existence at any given time.

They are the Sirens of Ravenloft!!!! only 7 can be in it at one given time!!! XD

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »

They are the Sirens of Ravenloft!!!! only 7 can be in it at one given time!!! XD

5! Seven is so last Barovian year. :P
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

AcolyteChronomancer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
So are Fey'ri gone then? I have always wanted to play one but have never had the chance. I was seriously considering applying. As for the alterself ability something like that is easy enough to script. I would be happy to provide. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/doppelverse That is a thing I uploaded 11 years ago lol, oh my. It has some scripts in it to change appearance which I am sure could be useful for such a thing.