Author Topic: Ghastria & Halflings  (Read 2823 times)

booksarefun666

Ghastria & Halflings
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
I don't understand the outright hostility NPCs give when a halfling talks to a peasant or a guard while also having a low OCR. I'm not sure where exactly to put this, but I guess I'm trying to understand the context for such an odd situation.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Re: Ghastria & Halflings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »
I'm not entirely sure where the hate comes from but I seem to remember reading somewhere that at one point there were a bunch of Kender refugees (thought to be Elves) from Sithicus in Ghastria.  I can't remember where I read it and beyond the obvious reason of being Kender, I've no idea what might have happened.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:27:37 AM »
From the Ghastria feedback thread;

btw what effects OCR in Ghastria?

also: I added ghastria to my domain feedback listing

Right now OcR hasn't been set up there. It's like Blaustein and Har'Akir. I'll add minimal OcR support at one point and possibly one day a full OcR system though that's least likely.

ICly, they are afraid of halflings since their only real exposure to halflings when they were in the Core were the tales of Sithican Kender Vampires. While the kender vampires couldn't cross into Ghastria (they couldn't leave Sithicus), they heard many tales of visitors or people who passed through Sithicus.

booksarefun666

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:26:14 PM »
Thanks, you two.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:09:04 AM »
I've once been explained that Ghastria was first featured in an RPGA tournament module and that it would be from that module the hate of kenders/halfling by Ghastrians comes from. I do not know the details, but Quote the Raven #20, a ravenloft netzine, expended on the idea that there was once a mistway between Sithicus and Ghastria, through which the Ghastrian may have come into contact with the sinister kenders of the land of specters. The mistway would have collapsed during the Grand Conjonction, but the fear sure remained. (Sithican kenders are not a threat to take lightly).
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »
I've once been explained that Ghastria was first featured in an RPGA tournament module and that it would be from that module the hate of kenders/halfling by Ghastrians comes from. I do not know the details, but Quote the Raven #20, a ravenloft netzine, expended on the idea that there was once a mistway between Sithicus and Ghastria, through which the Ghastrian may have come into contact with the sinister kenders of the land of specters. The mistway would have collapsed during the Grand Conjonction, but the fear sure remained. (Sithican kenders are not a threat to take lightly).

In earlier editions Ghastria was in the Core, next to Sithicus. I have both RPGA adventures featuring Ghastria and it's mentioned briefly iirc.

It was later moved to the Sea of Sorrows.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
In earlier editions Ghastria was in the Core, next to Sithicus. I have both RPGA adventures featuring Ghastria and it's mentioned briefly iirc.

You will need to point me to the reference, I have all versions of the Ravenloft setting. I do not recall Ghastria ever being in the Core, though I grant you it could have been written in the domain's history. Anyhow, are any electronic copies of that module available? I would be most curious to read it through.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »
It is mentioned in Stezens introduction in Darklords, the book that first intruduced him to the setting. The old maps don't specificaly show ghastria but there is a piece of land that does not show any border/domain and it is to the west of sithicus.

Building out off the mists

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
Oh, the Sithicus mistway thing is an alternative history from some netbook.

Building out off the mists

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »

You will need to point me to the reference, I have all versions of the Ravenloft setting. I do not recall Ghastria ever being in the Core, though I grant you it could have been written in the domain's history. Anyhow, are any electronic copies of that module available? I would be most curious to read it through.

Darklords, page 74.