Author Topic: Game is very insistent that it run in 800x600.  (Read 1309 times)

Jibreel

• New to the Mists
Game is very insistent that it run in 800x600.
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »
I'm attempting to get the game to run properly on my computer (AMD R9 290x, dual monitor setup--one is 1920x1080, the other 1680x1050). NWN is not having it. When I attempt to change resolution in nwn.ini, it ignores me and runs in 800x600. When I attempt to change resolution in game, the set resolution box is empty of choices. When I try to use nwnconfig, things get really weird. As in the game, when I try to change the resolution, there are no options available. When I return to the main nwnconfig screen, it has my resolution set at "-2008420125 x 1073741824 - 60 Hz." When I use the scan feature of the config utility, I get the error "Access violation at address 575E3E74 in module 'atioglxx.dll'. Read of address 00000004."

Now, I'm pretty stoked about the ability to run the game at a setting better measured in hundreds of miles than in pixels (as well as negative resolution. not sure how that would work) but the game keeps popping up with 800x600.

Any advice?

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
Re: Game is very insistent that it run in 800x600.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
Perhaps try Windowed mode?

For instructions how to do that:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44238.msg556963#msg556963
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
First thing, make sure your Graphic card driver is up to date, it never hurts to have the last versions of those and I know by experience that not updating those can mess up nwn real good, I had problem with that in the past.

Then if it can help here are my display options in my nwn.ini

[Display Options]
Width=1600
Height=900
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60
TexturePack=3
SafeMovie=0
FullScreen=0
AllowWindowedMode=1
UseLargeFont=0

I know someone who had the same kind of problem with NWN, so I'll ask him and maybe he remembers how he solved it.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Jibreel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:45:24 AM »
Perhaps try Windowed mode?

For instructions how to do that:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44238.msg556963#msg556963

Sadly, the issue appears to be that it is stuck in windowed mode. I can't even force it to enter fullscreen, even by following the link provided.

First thing, make sure your Graphic card driver is up to date, it never hurts to have the last versions of those and I know by experience that not updating those can mess up nwn real good, I had problem with that in the past.

Then if it can help here are my display options in my nwn.ini

I know someone who had the same kind of problem with NWN, so I'll ask him and maybe he remembers how he solved it.
My drivers are updated--my suspicion is that they are too updated. NWN runs on a wonky OpenGL engine that probably doesn't play nicely with modern cards. Your display options are pretty much identical to mine; I tried them and nothing changed, sadly. I'd appreciate you asking your friend!

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:04 AM »
Sadly, the issue appears to be that it is stuck in windowed mode. I can't even force it to enter fullscreen, even by following the link provided.

In that case, I would try changing this...

FullScreen=0
AllowWindowedMode=1

to this...

FullScreen=1
AllowWindowedMode=0

and unplugging one of the monitors before booting and starting the game. If the game runs fullscreen and gives you options for changing resolution, etc. with only a single monitor, then you know messing around with NWN itself isn't going to fix it. The issue (in that case) is with your graphics card/driver/Windows and what they're presenting to NWN.

Can you try that? If that works, you could, of course, play with one monitor unhooked. But even if you don't want to play that way, it will give clues as to how to attack the problem.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.