You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Sound tearing with frame rate drop  (Read 1613 times)

The Fox

• New to the Mists
Sound tearing with frame rate drop
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:34:40 AM »
Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my sound whenever my frame rates drop. I've had this computer for about 3 years now and I've played NWN on it since then with no issues. I recently got back on and whenever the frame rates drop (which is normal) the sound becomes super choppy at best along with it. I've tried changing my sound quality in game and even tried different settings in the realtek audio settings. I just can't seem to fix the problem.

AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.60 GHz Quad
8.00 GB DDR3 RAM
64 bit OS Windows 7

Reigh

• Undead Master
Re: Sound tearing with frame rate drop
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my sound whenever my frame rates drop. I've had this computer for about 3 years now and I've played NWN on it since then with no issues. I recently got back on and whenever the frame rates drop (which is normal) the sound becomes super choppy at best along with it. I've tried changing my sound quality in game and even tried different settings in the realtek audio settings. I just can't seem to fix the problem.

8.00 GB DDR3 RAM
64 bit OS Windows 7

You could try and update drivers, but it sounds like it is just a lag problem.

The Fox

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »

8.00 GB DDR3 RAM
64 bit OS Windows 7

You could try and update drivers, but it sounds like it is just a lag problem.
I've tried just that. I even rolled back the driver to when it used to work, with the same issue. I updated realtek as well just to be sure but that didn't fix it either. I've been at this all day with different solutions with no luck at all. :grumble:

The Fox

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
I believe I found a workaround. The problem isn't fixed but at least the sound isn't as choppy/annoying.

I turned down a lot of settings to increase frame rate. It stutters every now and then in heavily populated areas but it's manageable.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:00:57 AM »
Besides making sure that all your drivers are up to date (not sure about the soundcard, but for the APU, look here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Desktop-APU-Drivers.aspx - find the "A8-5600K" and choose the Windows 7 64-bit version), you could also try switching the "Sound Provider" within NWN. Go into sound, then advanced options:

Can try each of them to see if they work really, but "DirectSound3D Hardware Support" or "Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio" are likely the best candidates.

The Fox

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Besides making sure that all your drivers are up to date (not sure about the soundcard, but for the APU, look here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Desktop-APU-Drivers.aspx - find the "A8-5600K" and choose the Windows 7 64-bit version), you could also try switching the "Sound Provider" within NWN. Go into sound, then advanced options:

Can try each of them to see if they work really, but "DirectSound3D Hardware Support" or "Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio" are likely the best candidates.
Unfortunately that had no effect either. I might try a reinstall to see if that works but until then, I'll lower my settings so the lag isn't there, essentially getting rid of the sound issue for now. Thanks for the suggestions!

The Fox

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:34:54 PM »
Fixed!

After much pain and anguish, Soren helped me figure out the issue. It was indeed a sound driver issue. The program on my computer designed to keep my drivers up to date, failed to update the sound drivers so I had to manually install them.

Drivers needed to update
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  • Realtek High Definition Audio

Once I updated these two, the game runs fine now. Even at slower frame rates, the sound is perfect! Thanks everyone for your help!