You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Memories of Starlight - Rosaria Wysaren  (Read 1429 times)

Daring_Druid

• Outlander
Memories of Starlight - Rosaria Wysaren
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
"Come on, Dir'asaya! Keep up!"

Dir'asaya... I haven't been called that in almost two centuries. Ever since touching Corellon's spirit and becoming Awakened I have taken on the name Rosaria. So why is it I drift into this memory during reverie? What am I meant to learn from this?

"You'll never catch me!"

Well... might as well let this one continue, though I know this ending... And I dread it.

"What do you mean I'll never catch you?! I always catch you, Ardreth!" I laugh as I chase after the slender male elf, running through the gardens of my home in Sildëyuir, dancing through flowers and around trees, emerald and sapphire dragonflies flitting around us.
"No you won't! Not this time, dearest sister!" I, of course, knew he was right. He had grown much taller and stronger than I have since the last time I chased him. I won't last much longer. I can already feel the fire in my limbs as they weaken, my breathing becoming labored. And what is worse is that he seems to be completely fine. He laughs as he turns to mock me and... *BOOM*
We both stop in our place and turn to look at the house, smoke and dust floating in the air over the woods just on the other side. Goddess... that's where Father is, and we both know it. We look at each other, fear in our eyes, perhaps the first time we had ever known fear, then we rush for the woods, renewed energy in my limbs. Ardreth gets there first, long before me since his legs were much longer than mine. I hear his song of sorrow, I can feel his energies reach me even from so far away, filled with pain and sorrow, and it stops me dead in my tracks. Mother runs up to me, shaking me out of my stupor. "Dir'asaya, get in the house. Do what I say now, Dir'asaya."
Mother... why...
I knew I should have listened to her, but I couldn't help myself. I had to know. I stumbled after her as she ran in the direction of the smoke and dust, and even though I hear her scream I push myself forward.
This clearing wasn't supposed to be here. I know these woods, why was this here instead of further in? And why is Mother and Ardreth kneeling on the ground? What are they looking at? And where is Father? I can't see around them, their backs are to me.
"Mother? Why are you both crying? Where is Father?" I know I sound fearful... I knew the answers, but I very much so wanted them to be wrong.
She turns to look at me, and in that moment I see my fears and know them to be right. There on the ground is the burned body of my father... I could barely recognize him, it was so bad. He isn't moving at all. "Dir'asaya, don't look. Don't look, my sweet girl." Mother hurries over to me and wraps her arms around me, making sure I can't see Father, but it is too late. I already saw.
"M-mother? Is Father going to be alright?" I can barely get out the words, I can feel the tears forming. Please say he'll be alright, Mother... Please tell me he will get back up and everything will be alright.
"Kiirion... is with Corellon in Arvandor now, my love. The magic was too strong for him here, so he had to go to Arvandor to practice the Hight Magic." I can still hear my brother crying even though I can't see him, and I feel Mother's tears fall upon my cheek... And all I can do is cry with them, my song of sorrow ringing forth from my lips as I lose one of my brightest lights in the world, one of my only loves, my father. I know what Mother says is only to make me feel better, to make it hurt less, but it doesn't. I know he was practicing magic that isn't meant for our kind... that even Sun Elves have difficulties mastering.

Father... why... why now, of all the days... why do you leave me now?...

I open my eyes and I am laying in the grass by the waterfall in Degannwy. It has become my home away from home this last week or so. I don't know how long it has been since I arrived here. I stopped counting after day three. What is the meaning behind this memory? Why now, after all this time, do I dream of my father? He died during my fourth decade... and here I am dreaming of him... why?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:32:16 PM by Daring_Druid »
Currently playing:
Maya Kelter (The Sword of Night) -shelved indefinitely
Rosaria Wysaren (Songstress of Sehanine)
Delarenia Jadys'varilo (Druidess of Rillifane) -retired

Daring_Druid

• Outlander
Re: Memories of Starlight - Rosaria Wysaren
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
The woods are quiet as always. Not even the deer come here after the explosion, despite it already being three decades later. But that's alright. I feel closer to Father here. I hope this is where I can reach my Awakening. As I have been doing for the last two decades, I sit in the center of the clearing from the explosion and bow my head.

Oh... It's this memory. Wait... why am I dreaming of my Awakening? What are you trying to tell me, Sehanine?

Closing my eyes I slip into my normal trance state, letting my mind go blank as I listen to the sounds around me, as I feel the thrum of the magic around me. I always did wonder how it was I could feel the different frequencies of magic in the air. Each kind of magic has its on thrum, its on tune. Perhaps I am just more attuned to the magic than most? Many consider me strange when I talk about it, but I never minded.
There... there it is... Is that what I think it is? Goddess...
My eyes fly open and my lips part slightly as I take in a sharp breath, shivers running up my spine. "Corellon..."
It was so subtle. Just a slight variation in one of the thrums, something I'd never heard before. When my mind reached out to touch it, to grasp at the cord and study it, there was a vastness in the power of it. I felt... humbled by it. Never before had I witnessed the power of Corellon, and here it was... Here he was in my every song, in all the cords of magic around me.
I stand, my mind reaching for that cord of vastness again, basking in its power. Goddess I have never felt so alive in my life. Father, if only you were here to witness this. Or... are you watching now? Are you proud of me, Father? Are you proud of the woman I have become?
I walk back into the house, feeling like an entirely different person. Mother greets me at the door as she always does. Somehow she senses whenever I have finished my trances in the woods. It's odd, but I think nothing of it since my entire family is different than others of our kind. "You are done much sooner than normal, Dir'asaya. Is all well?" Mother tilts her head as she watches me. I can tell she senses something is different. It is not hard to see. I stand much taller now, more sure of myself than I was before.
"For two decades I have sought out Corellon, Mother. And for two decades I have failed each day. But I fail no more. On this day, I touch the spirit of Corellon." I look at her with all the confidence in the world.
Mother beams her best smile at me. I can tell she is proud. Her face lights up with joy every time she is. "Goddess, Dir'asaya. Such a monumental day for you. You have the option to take a chosen name now, if you wish." A chosen name. I have dreamed of a thousand different possible names, knowing that this day would come. But none of them measure up to the one name I now know is mine...
"Mother, from this day forward, I will take the name Rosaria."

I blink as my eyes open, and I stand in the temple of the Morninglordians in the outskirts of Vallaki. I listen to the Zenythri spout off her normal speech and a human try and understand her. I have only read about her kind in books that Father left me, but the signs are all there. Perhaps I should study this one... try to understand it...
Currently playing:

Daring_Druid

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:36:20 AM »
"Ardreth! You are back!" I race across the garden and embrace my brother. He had left for the Prime Material Plane around three decades ago, searching for... something. He never did tell me when he left. Perhaps he didn't even know himself at the time.
"Uma, little sister, I'm back. And look at you!" He laughs as he holds me at arm's length, looking me over. "What are you now, two and a half centuries?" He gives me a smirk, knowing full well he was over-exaggerating.
"Hush, Ardreth. You know I'm only one hundred and sixty-two."
"Uma, little sister, but it is -so- much fun teasing you." He gives me a teasing grin, then gets an excited look on his face. "Aiya! Little sister, I have someone I want you to meet. Rosaria, this is Alexandra." Somehow I missed her standing behind him. Either way, he turns my attention to her, and my excitement at his return disappears, a deep-set scowl forming on my face.
"You brought a -human- here?" My voice became tinged with anger. "What is this? Why did you bring her here? Did you consult the community before putting us at risk? What were you thinking, Ardreth? Your act--" He cuts me off mid-rant by placing his hand over my mouth. I want so bad to bite his hand, but last time I did that he about burned me with fire, so I refrained and instead glared at him.
"Uma, Rosaria. I did bring a human here. She is my mate." My eyes widen and I move to remove my face from his hand but he places his free hand at the back of my head and holds me still so I can't struggle, forcing me to listen. "I talked to the community elders about this, Rosaria. I'm not stupid. I would never put your life at risk, or mother's, or anyone else's. You need to trust me, little sister. Trust me like you always have." He removes his hand from from the back of my head and my mouth, seemingly waiting for me to start my rant back up again. I lost my fire at his words. I do trust him. He's right to say I have always trusted him, so why do I doubt him now?
"Why her, Ardreth? Why a human when there are plenty of our kin here who would -love- to be mated to you?" My voice was no longer accusatory, but pleading. I didn't want her here. "Ardreth... Amin mela lle, brother, but why? You will long outlive her. You will outlive your children and their children... and probably the next two generations after that. Why would you willingly put yourself through all that pain, all that suffering?"
He flicks my nose hard, and I jump back a bit, startled. He's never done that to me before. "Dir'asaya Rosalynn Marie Wysaren, you listen and you listen well." Oh goddess, he used my birth name, and the full thing at that. I know I did something wrong now. I wince at it, and I could see in his eyes he is sorry for it but his expression stays stern. "You know very well the teachings of Mother and Father and of the community we live in. Death is a part of life. Do you really think I'm going to let something as small as death keep me from love? So I outlive her and our children and probably the next three generations. So what? Being able to share my life with the woman I care about is what I want. -I love her-, Rosaria. When she dies I will continue to love her, just as I will our children and so on and so forth. Pain and suffering never lasts forever. My memories of her will live on, of all the joy we shared. Would you rather I not know happiness? Would you rather I miss the opportunity to embrace Corellon's path for me? She might not be kin, but I doubt Corellon would let me feel this way for her if it wasn't the path he wanted me on."
I suddenly feel very guilty. I just don't want him to hurt later in life when he has to watch all of his family with her die. But he is right. I always forget the lessons of our community on these matters. Father would be ashamed of me, that I forgot and insulted Ardreth in front of his mate by speaking what I did. "I just worry for you, brother. But now that you remind me of it, I understand why you chose her. I will not forget again."
"Do see to that, Rosaria. One day you might find yourself on the Prime Material Plane, and I won't be there to remind you of the teachings of those we cherish. Never forget the teachings, for they are your lifeblood."

I open my eyes and look around. Degannwy, yet again. Memories are everything, it is why I look forward to reverie sometimes. Thank you, Sehanine, for reminding me of Corellon's path for me. That not all branches in the road lead to tears. You have strengthened my resolve by showing me a moment where my brother chose to be the strong one, and now I must follow in his footsteps and be strong also. If not for me then for my kin.
Currently playing:

Daring_Druid

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:26:01 PM »
“Rosaria.” I look up from my book at my mother as she approaches me. She always did look beautiful, even though she is now close to seven hundred. Flowing silver hair frames her face, falling in waves like a stunning waterfall to the small of her back, a pair of smokey gray eyes flecked with gold watch me and a smile that always makes you want to smile with her graces her lips. I smile up at her with joy, knowing that even though she is so graceful and has such beauty she is nearing the end of her life and I might lose a chance to grace her with my smile if I don’t do it now.
“Mother. Looking as stunning as always. What can I do for you?”
“Rosaria, why are you sitting here?” She motions to my surroundings. I sit in Father’s study, holding one of his books on Elven High Magic in my lap. “You should be out there with your mate.”
“What mate, mother? You know I don’t have one.”
“Exactly, child. Go find him.” She gives me a teasing look. I let out a sigh and close the book in my lap, though I don’t move other than to hold the book in my lap.
“Mother, you know I have met every male from the community and three of the surrounding ones, thanks to your need for me to produce an heir. None of them are to my liking, and certainly none of them are my thiramin. Why do you continue to bother me with this topic?” I give her an expectant look. She has bothered me with this for a century now. I am growing weary of it.
“I only want you to be happy, sweet one. You have taken partners, but you refuse to take a mate. I know why you sit in here by yourself, reading Kiirion’s books. I miss him too, you know. But you won’t be young forever, dear. You should go out and look for your mate. Find your joy in someone as I found mine in Kiirion.”
I let out another sigh. “Mother… Father was my love as much as yours. Not in the same way, but he set a high standard for all men. The only things that come close to my love for him are my love of music and my love for the gods. So for now, my music shall be my mate, for it is the only thing to bring me true joy anymore.” I sit back in my chair again and open my book, hoping to all the gods that it ends the conversation, but it doesn’t. She lets out a sigh herself, moving to sit next to me and speaks.
“Rosaria, you are two and a half centuries old now. You are the same age your brother was when I let him go to the Prime Material Plane. I know you have been begging me to let you go ever since your brother’s return. He filled your head with so many adventures it was hard to keep you from darting off without my permission to see it.” She gives me a warm smile. “If you wish to go, Rosaria, I won’t stop you. I give you my permission to go.”
I look up from my book at her with wide eyes. I honestly never thought this day would come, but it has. I want so bad to question why she is letting me go, but I would rather not miss the excitement of getting to see another plane of existence just because I questioned her reasons for letting me go. I smile broadly and wrap my arms around her neck gently. “Thank you mother. You will not regret this.” I hurriedly close my book again and bound over to put it away on the shelf before hurrying out the room to pack. I can feel Mother’s sad gaze on my back, but I do not stop to question it.

I open my eyes and I’m in Degannwy again. I regret not asking Mother why she was upset, but maybe it is for the best. I would probably not be here if I had, and being here with Tia’lanna and all the others has been quite a lovely adventure and they are all very accepting of me and my wants… Well, most of them anyways. Perhaps this was a good thing.
Currently playing: