Author Topic: Windows Update Makes PoTM Unplayable  (Read 8633 times)

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Windows Update Makes PoTM Unplayable
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 03:20:54 AM »
I am glad NWN is working fine for you. This is for those Who have a Problem and want it fixed.

Yes, I understand that. Beyond ruling out the clean install vs. upgrade question, I'm pointing out that only a handful of people running Windows 10 are having an issue so one has to wonder if the updates are what's really causing it. It's possibly something to do with your hardware (likeliest would be the graphics card) or some other software that you're running. The fact is, questions were asked regarding what kind of rig those having the issues are running and whether or not they're running compatibility mode, etc. and so far no one has actually given any more information on that front. That makes it harder to identify a potential culprit or offer more specific advice.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:23:06 AM by Jeebs »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
Try to initiate Windows Update manually - even if there are new updates, it can take a while before it's actually downloaded and installed.

Also try to go into the Event Viewer (you can right click the Windows icon and locate it from there), go into Windows Logs, then Application and see if there's a reference to nwmain.exe or similar there, then post whatever info you find here.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »
Ok, after all this time, I finally found a solution.

I located my Windows 8.1 factory reset usb, and after a botched install from a usb loaded with 8.1 software downloaded from Microsoft, I finally, finally got around to doing the reset from a boot and now PotM is playable again!

I highly DON'T recommend installing windows 8.1 from a usb loaded with files from the website, because I ran into horrible driver issues which forced me to tether my phone to my computer to work around the inability to detect wireless networks.  It was slow going, and NWN was running just as slow as on Win 10.  A friend of mine who is more tech-savvy than I am figured out it was a problem with the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter.  I spent 18 hours today troubleshooting, and I feel silly now knowing that a solution was in my computer parts box.

However, if you happen to have a factory reset usb laying around and don't mind 8.1, it seems to fix the issue for now!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:48:27 AM by Dud_Goose »
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
My computer decided to update last night, and now I'm right back where I was when I first made this post. Nwn is utterly unplayable again. . .

Here is some additional info if it matters.

* Tried various compatibility modes
* Ran as Admin
* Ran with settings turned down (shiny water etc all off)

Spoiler: show
OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version   10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description    Not Available
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   USER1
System Manufacturer   Acer
System Model   Aspire ZC-606
System Type   x64-based PC
System SKU   AZC-606
Processor   Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  J1900  @ 1.99GHz, 1993 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. P11-A1, 2014-03-21
SMBIOS Version   2.8
Embedded Controller Version   255.255
BIOS Mode   UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer   Acer
BaseBoard Model   Not Available
BaseBoard Name   Base Board
Platform Role   Appliance PC
Secure Boot State   On
PCR7 Configuration   Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale   Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name   USER1\USER
Time Zone   Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory   3.89 GB
Available Physical Memory   996 MB
Total Virtual Memory   6.89 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.66 GB
Page File Space   3.00 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions   Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware   Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection   Yes

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:22:41 PM by Miuo »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 04:21:56 PM »
So in my continued search of how to remedy this issue, I came across this,

This has been mentioned on another NWN server. Apparently, people have had success by removing KB4013429 and then using this to prevent it automatically reinstalling, but I have no firsthand experience of this.

Edit: Just to clarify, you use the tool in the link to block the problem update. Then apparently NWN works...

Any thoughts on this?

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
I can't speak for everyone else, but when I was running Windows 10, the problem update didn't even give me the option to uninstall it.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
It might be a long shot, but try to install this: https://www.drivereasy.com/

... and let it update all your drivers. It's easy to use and legit, even if it tries to persuade you into it, you don't need the pro version.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »
Largely went off without a hitch, only 15 outdated drivers since I reinstalled windows. But I'm having minor issues. The instructions are simple enough, but Driver easy is telling me 3 specific drivers are out of date, and when i try to manually update them, my computer says;

"The best driver software for your device is already installed

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"

The three that this message comes up for is;

* Intel(R) Power Engine Plug-in
* Intel(R) Trusted Execution Engine Interface
* Intel(R) HD Graphics
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:18:50 PM by Miuo »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
To clarify still can't play, but I tried playing a different game to see if there was much of an issue, not a single issue in what iv tried thus far. The update seems to only mess with NWN.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 12:15:51 AM »
Hmm, for those three, you could try http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Seems like KB4013429 broke a lot of things for a lot of people, might be why Microsoft is still struggling to catch up.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »
Got this after trying such, no idea what it means or what I should do. .

Spoiler: show

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »
Download the driver at the bottom left from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-

(called win64_153343.4425.zip)

Then follow the instructions here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Starting at point 1, below the videos.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »
Again, easy to follow instructions and didn't have any issues doing what it said. But got the same message as before sadly.

Not sure if this info is helpful;

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:27:08 PM by Miuo »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 12:39:05 AM »
Hmm, the plot thickens!

Try downloading the driver here instead: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

(bottom left, and follow the instructions again)

Also try to uninstall the current driver first, then install after a reboot. You can find instructions for that here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html

BTW, if you are feeling brave, I saw that there's a new BIOS available for you with some very neat optimizations here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/5342?b=1

(Near the bottom under BIOS/Firmware, "Reduce the Hardware memory reservation")

If you are feeling brave, you will gain a general computer boost by installing that, but you have to follow the instructions carefully, print them out and close all other running programs and make sure that your computer is connected to power.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:18:36 AM by Zarathustra217 »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »
Since we know the exact CPU and it has an embedded graphics card, we also know the exact graphics hardware.

The issue is that Intel drivers generally are tricky to install because they prefer you to use customized versions made by the computer vendor as there's sometimes specific adjustments made for that. That's very rare though, and I've never myself encountered it being an issue. On the other hand, vendors are often quite lethargic at updating their own drivers and usually drop it entirely after the specific computer model is no longer being sold.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »
Hmm, the plot thickens!

Try downloading the driver here instead: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

(bottom left, and follow the instructions again)

Also, try to uninstall the current driver first, then install after a reboot. You can find instructions for that here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html

Finally mustered up the effort to try this after being rather defeated by all the previous issues. Uninstalled without issue, however with the first link. After I initiate the setup I quickly end up receiving a message of;

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

So I guess I will try to update it as I did the others before and see if it lets me do so.

Edited: Ooops, that was when I ran the setup.exe by mistake instead of doing the manual update.

However, when I did do the manual update method, I received the exact same message as every other time;

Even though the graphic cards name now reads "Microsoft basic display adapter". . . .

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:35:17 PM by Miuo »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
Woot, this one worked though.

Download the driver at the bottom left from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25977/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-33-

(called win64_153343.4425.zip)

Then follow the instructions here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Starting at point 1, below the videos.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
It's definitely updated, however it doesn't seem to have any impact on NWN. Still the exact same issue as originally reported :/

Jackdaw

• New to the Mists
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »

Firstly, greetings everyone!

The problem might be related to the affinity of NWN to run on 1 core. Most computer processors these days come with more than 1 core, whilst NWN was developed on a single core.

Go to your NWN folder, then select nwnplayer.ini and open with notepad to edit.

Change this line under [Game Options]

Client CPU Affinity=0

to

Client CPU Affinity=-2

hit ctrl-s or the drop down file menu and select save.

If you don't have the line in your nwnplayer.ini just copy and paste the above line and save it.

In Windows 10, these are the following compatibility settings that work the best, also. You can select these by left clicking on your nwnmain.exe file, and right clicking then selecting properties. Under the compatibility tab it should look like this:

Now, if THIS doesn't work, another consideration is to download iobit driver booster (it's free), and update all your drivers.

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

You can get it from this link, run the file after it's downloaded to install, then run the program. It's a fairly self-explanatory program.

If anyone has any success with any of this, let me know!

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »
We have already gone the driver and compatibility route, it had no effect.

Jackdaw

• New to the Mists
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Do try the nwnplayer.ini line edit I suggested then. It has solved a multitude of errors for myself and others over multiple computers/installations/servers.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 11:40:34 PM »
I don't know if this is related, but since the last win10 update I noticed my disk usage went regularly on 100% of use, I browsed around a bit, and there are some things, especially related to windows defender, that can cause this. Also this makes the game almost unplayable with a lot of apparent lag spikes.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Niffie

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 02:28:28 AM »
It might be the xbox dvr, which has been automatically activated during the last update of windows. Basically, it's recording clips while you're playing and it's pretty heavy on the pc.

Here's how to turn it off: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600
Simply make an account to log in on the xbox app and then disable it. Don't do the registry thing unless you're very comfortable with that stuff.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:31:04 AM by Niffie »
There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

Jackdaw

• New to the Mists
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 03:03:22 PM »
It might be the xbox dvr, which has been automatically activated during the last update of windows. Basically, it's recording clips while you're playing and it's pretty heavy on the pc.

Here's how to turn it off: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600
Simply make an account to log in on the xbox app and then disable it. Don't do the registry thing unless you're very comfortable with that stuff.

+1

Also get a 3rd party antivirus, Windows Defender can use a lot of resources. In my opinion it's also not very effective.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:07:02 PM by Jackdaw »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
Do try the nwnplayer.ini line edit I suggested then. It has solved a multitude of errors for myself and others over multiple computers/installations/servers.

Forgot to include that I had done this already in my previous comment. Also, Windows Defender is off, I did try the Xbox DVR thing and turned it off as well. But it didn't seem to create any change.