Author Topic: Windows Update Makes PoTM Unplayable  (Read 8634 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Windows Update Makes PoTM Unplayable
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
A recent windows update seems to of made nwn in general unplayable for me. I can log in fine, and initially, everything runs normally. Such as area loading, but once I am in the game on potm, or on any other server it's insanely slow to the point I can't even do anything.

The first thing I tried was undoing the part of the update that seemed to cause an issue which made Nwn run perfectly fine again. However, as soon as I was off doing something else my computer was prompted to update again, creating the issue all over. So im not entirely sure what to do other than engage in a vicious cycle of updating and undoing the update over and over again :3

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
Re: Windows Update Makes PoTM Unplayable
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:07:11 AM »
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:10:37 AM »
1o sadly, with their stupid forced auto update. But other than disabling it and doing it myself, which will still cause an issue. Anyone know how to fix it so there isn't an issue at all anymore?

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:23:40 AM »
You could try creating a bootable thumb drive of Windows 10 that does not have the update (or any older version of Windows) that you use to boot when you want to play NWN.

Or configure a multiboot on your hard drive that does the same thing.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:07:10 AM »
As of a similar timeframe, I have been unable to play PotM due to heavy slowdown.  I've tried running in various compatibility modes and running the critical rebuild, but no dice.

I'm also on Windows 10.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:10:53 AM by Dud_Goose »
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »
As of a similar timeframe, I have been unable to play PotM due to heavy slowdown.  I've tried running in various compatibility modes and running the critical rebuild, but no dice.

I'm also on Windows 10.

Have you tried a reinstall?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
The Windows Update is definitely the problem.  I uninstalled it and everything ran fine, then reinstalled it and I'm back to a snail's pace again. 
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
You can deactivate the forced auto update on windows fyi, I deactivated it on mine. Don't ask me how because I don't remember... but it's easy, just google it and you'll have the how part within a few minutes
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
Seems I somehow broke my computer and had to do windows reinstall. Which despite the annoying inconvenience and uninstalling of various programs seems to of fixed the original issue :3

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
My laptop uses Windows 10 (came preloaded when I bought it) and last night when I shut down, the auto-update feature kicked in. I panicked, having seen this thread, but it seems for whatever reason that NWN still runs fine for me.

So if anyone else is worried about it, maybe you'll get lucky?! :P

QDS

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 06:00:51 AM »
My laptop uses Windows 10 (came preloaded when I bought it) and last night when I shut down, the auto-update feature kicked in. I panicked, having seen this thread, but it seems for whatever reason that NWN still runs fine for me.

So if anyone else is worried about it, maybe you'll get lucky?! :P

Same here. Works normally after the update.
Rock'n'rolla...

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
Question, are any of these PC's prebuilt or are they all custom built machines?  I've had an absolute slew of problems in the past with certain brands of computers having a conflict with things as simple as Chrome thanks to their 'helpful' preinstalled software.

QDS

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »
Question, are any of these PC's prebuilt or are they all custom built machines?  I've had an absolute slew of problems in the past with certain brands of computers having a conflict with things as simple as Chrome thanks to their 'helpful' preinstalled software.

Mine is a prebuilt laptop that came with licensed windows 7. I upgraded to 10 when it first came out and to be honest. Didn't have any trouble with any game except the 16 bit ones that obviously, aren't supported.
Rock'n'rolla...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
I would strongly advice against disabling Windows updates altogether as it'll make your computer much less secure. Rolling back the most recent one can work as a temporary solution, as usually Microsoft is nice enough to issue a hotfix update fairly quickly (within a few days) whenever stuff like this occur. However, if you update after a week or so and the issue remains, it's more ideal to figure out what causes the issue (often other drivers or software that needs to be updated) and actually solve it. Otherwise, you'll easily end up in the same situation again.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
Yeah, turning off updates is a really bad idea.

Are you running NWN in compatibility mode and as an administrator?

I do both and NWN runs fine on my Win 10 install with all updates applied.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

QDS

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:11:25 PM »
From my part, I run nwn in windowed mode. Otherwise it doesn't work well at all. Might work for people who encounter problems.
Rock'n'rolla...

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 12:45:24 AM »
I have the same problem and tried windowed mode, its not only this server but i am getting it even in Single Player, i installed, reinstalled 4 times, played with my drivers and Downloaded it from 2 sources, i thought it was my new SD card that did it but glad not glad to see other people here with the same problem. However from a Source i have found this Information.

"Minimum System Requirements:
Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended), 256MB RAM (512 recommended), NVidia, ATI/AMD or Intel 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard.

Please be advised that Windows 10 operating system will receive frequent hardware driver and software updates following its release; this may affect game compatibility"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:48:32 AM by -Blitz- »

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 02:28:07 AM »
I have also had this problem for a few weeks, where I would start NWN (On Windows 10) and the music never starts, but it runs smoothly for several minutes until it starts drastically slowing down to a freezing point that makes it unplayable. In my personal case, it seems if I restart nwn (I'm using a direct shortcut to the server) several times until the Game sounds work, (sometimes 10-20 times over several minutes) where I can quickly cancel out and try again, if I repeat the process It will eventually have the in game sound and work normally without any problems whatsoever. This is bothersome and tedious, but worked for me. Even more recently, I found that if I restart my laptop, and boot up NWN right after Windows 10 was booted and the Desktop loaded, the game starts and runs normally on the first try every time. Not sure if this will help anyone else, and it's still just a temporary alternative methodology to getting the game to work rather than addressing the actual issue, but it has been good enough for me at least for now.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »
So out of curiosity... those of you saying that a Windows 10 update has now made NWN uplayable for you, are you running compatibility mode? I'm just curious because I've had absolutely no problems with running NWN once I switched to W10.

Here's how I'm running mine:

Compatibility mode for Vista (SP 2)
Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
Run as Administrator

If you're not running compatibility mode, maybe try these settings and see if that fixes your issues.

EDIT: I totally missed that Blue had asked that above... that's what I get for replying to threads before I had my caffeine.

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
This may help some people, other servers have been having same problem.

http://forum.arelith.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11053

On that note, i most likely have to do a full wipe of my Laptop, windows refused to roll back or even uninstall updates. *Sigh*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:04:47 PM by -Blitz- »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 06:49:15 AM »
Is it possible this has to do with people who updated windows over time? Rather then initially starting out with a clean windows 10?

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 08:08:45 AM »
Is it possible this has to do with people who updated windows over time? Rather then initially starting out with a clean windows 10?

Not sure but i never clean wiped my computer as it did not allow me but now i am playing nwn2 until nwn gets fixed :)

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 11:56:53 PM »
I have gotten it fixed with lots of help, and it IS the windows update.

Step 1: Disable Automatic Update: Use Command RUN then type services.msc As shown, go down to Windows Update and click Properties and then Startup Type DISABLE. Done.

Step 2: Uninstall Update KB4015438 for Windows 32bit users, or KB4013429 for windows 64bit users. You can do it by useing uninstall update option OR RUN command TYPE CMD then when the black window appears TYPE wusa /uninstall /kb:4015438 (put in your system type) and then done, restart and you should be good.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 12:16:16 AM »
Here's the thing though: I'm running Windows 10 and it updates normally. I upgraded from 8.1 so I didn't do a complete reformat and I have yet to have a single issue running NWN with this. If it was the update that caused it, I should think it would have affected everyone. There must be something else that's going on to cause these issues. It's good you managed to get it working for you again, but I still think there's something else that was causing this problem. As Zarathustra and Blue said above, it's not usually a good idea to turn off updates. While they're not always essential, some of them are to address security issues that arise with Windows over time as hackers find ways to exploit the system.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:18:47 AM by Jeebs »

Reigh

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 01:18:36 AM »
Here's the thing though: I'm running Windows 10 and it updates normally. I upgraded from 8.1 so I didn't do a complete reformat and I have yet to have a single issue running NWN with this. If it was the update that caused it, I should think it would have affected everyone. There must be something else that's going on to cause these issues. It's good you managed to get it working for you again, but I still think there's something else that was causing this problem. As Zarathustra and Blue said above, it's not usually a good idea to turn off updates. While they're not always essential, some of them are to address security issues that arise with Windows over time as hackers find ways to exploit the system.

I am glad NWN is working fine for you. This is for those Who have a Problem and want it fixed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:31:32 AM by -Blitz- »