You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Allow Red Widows to be MPCs  (Read 1101 times)

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
Re: Allow Red Widows to be MPCs
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2023, 07:08:08 PM »
This seems like an unnecessary change. It goes against source material, and doesn't make sense.

I agree with others, if a DM feels the need for this sort of change to happen due to plot reasons, and DP checks/fails, they can already so such. I see no reason to make this an option for an MPC template.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Re: Allow Red Widows to be MPCs
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2023, 12:29:03 AM »
At the risk of simply echoing the opinions of the others in this thread; making Red Widow an inclusion to the MPC templates would only serve to add confusion given the extremely involved requirements for an existing character to be converted into a Red Widow.

Red Widows are born, and spend the first year of their life as an actual spider. The ones that manage to develop enough self-awareness to do anything aside from lure prey, eat, and mate are already the exception to the rule. Apping to become one as an MPC does not make sense.

That said, DMs can already determine how failed Dark Powers checks manifest, so it is possible a PC could become something -like- a RW over time, should a DM be inclined to run that plot up to the 5 DP level required to become an MPC automatically.

As is pointed out in this post; a character would have to be involved with a plot point and manage to achieve the dubious distinction of achieving 5 failed Dark Powers checks; an achievement I feel is one of the rarest in the server to exist. I am not privy to knowing each and every single character's accolades, but I feel there's good odds in saying we have more level 20 characters on the server than we do DP 5 characters.

The barrier to entry for an existing character to become a Red Widow MPC is one of those 'so rare that the exception will only become relevant if/when it happens', in opposition to the welcoming open-door nature of MPC template applications.