You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Behaviour of Deer, Mink, et cetera  (Read 1559 times)

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
Behaviour of Deer, Mink, et cetera
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:11:43 AM »
Just a thought.... recently I keep seeing some guy walking up to just about every animal and killing them with a greatsword. You shouldn't really be able to just walk right up to a deer and cut its head off. Maybe make deer, mink, otter, squirrels, and other herbivorous and/or small animals run away from us by default. Maybe even make deer faster than most of us by giving them the barb or monk fast movement feat. We should have to hunt them with ranged weapons, not just slaughter them with axes like sheep.

*shrugs*

Anyway, just a thought.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
Re: Behaviour of Deer, Mink, et cetera
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:20 AM »
They do run away from us by default. If they do not, they were cornered, or some latency issues on someone's end.

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:31 AM »
They're not running away from me, and if they're running away from others they should perhaps do so a wee bit faster.

Anyway, not a big deal, really, it just kinda made me go "huh?" when I saw some guy "hunting" them with a greatsword.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:44:35 AM »
It seems to very much of the time, which I think is fairly realistic. Sometimes they outright flee whenever you get close. Other times some of them will hold their ground and "stare menacingly" at you. I don't think the deer emote such, but it would be nifty if such was extended to all not inherently hostile creatures. Or at least create different ones for each creature category. Such as bears growling and rising up on two feet when you get too close, deers flaring their nostrils and scoring the ground with a hoof, etc.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:49:00 AM »
Animal react differently to Rangers and Druids. The higher your animal empathy skill the better their reaction will be.

Zarathustra217 -  http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=433.msg567629#msg567629
Changelog - 1st of February 2017 Version BETA 2.02o title "Tolerance."

Area, Item and NPC changes:

- Minor.

Scripting and System changes:

- Fixed an issue with the DM Store Object tool.

- Made AI no longer be alarmed by seeing fleeing herbivore animals.

- Made wildlife friendliness depend on Animal Empathy score rather than just class.

- Made associates better at following.

- Disabled casting spells on PCs in spirit form.

- Made spell and feat uses restore after a server reset.

FlattedFifth

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
Ah, I wasn't aware that they didn't run from rangers. Thanks.

I do still think, as a very minor suggestion, that if they don't already run faster than us, they could be given the feat to do so.

So could wolves.   :twisted:

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
So after some time since this was addressed by the Feb update, and after playing a variety of characters/classes, I really dislike the ambient life AI and how it handles Animal Empathy skill points.

Basically, every time my druid walks anywhere outside with "woodland" creatures the moment they perceive the character, they make a B line to her, stopping right in front of where she is walking, causing her to stop mid run/walk. It highly annoying to be stopped by the deer, birds, minks. It's at the point, where my druid is going to start clearing the forest of the idiotic animals. It's bad enough going to stores in real life and getting this same sort of behavior from the citizens of my community. (People stopping mid isle, lost in whatever thought they are having ignoring others around them.) By the way, the birds do it to my characters without animal empathy too.

While there is always some call for realism here, and debate over what form it should take- I believe that in the case of animals in the wild, they would tend to not move toward humanoids, or other species. The current form is way past realistic, to point of absurdity. All that my druid needs to gather the wildlife is to step into the wood- begin playing any Disney princess theme.

As for the birds- in general, before the On perceive any PC even fires, the birds often hover, amazingly never needing to fly anywhere.
The deer don't move away unless a PC stands right next to them, their perception range is too short.
Some of the worst areas where this happens is the hill road near the village of Barovia, near the ant mound. The deer swarm the road, and stay there, blocking the way off the hill.
And at the transition to the Tsar Pool vistani camp.

While I get that druids and rangers are friendly to the creatures of nature, I suggest rather than the "oh a druid! lets go greet them!" that the animals do, to more of a *deer dips head in acknowledgement of your druid-ness* (but stays where it's at) approach-

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »
That's strange, I haven't had any animals trying to run up to my druid and he's got maxed animal empathy for his level.  They just seem to ignore him entirely.

He usually spends time in the southern forest, areas around Vallaki, areas across the Luna river including Von Zeklos outpost, Krezk outpost, shadow woods, near Terg, and up the mountain.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:03:50 PM by Legion XXI »