You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Scarred Priest  (Read 12604 times)

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
Re: The Scarred Priest
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2022, 05:52:00 AM »
-This entry is suddenly removed, torn and crumpled.- 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:59:59 AM by Audric Lacroix »

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
-This entry has been removed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:06:06 PM by Audric Lacroix »

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2022, 03:59:48 AM »
-An entry removed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:15:22 AM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2022, 08:34:11 AM »
-This entry has been removed. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:05:26 PM by Audric Lacroix »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2022, 02:26:17 AM »
Father,

I beg of you, impart your patience.

Gift me your wisdom and resolve because I am not a perfect man.

I am a confessed sinner.

I confess my rage.

I remember when my fallen brother begged us to help him. 'Help me slay Urzica, and then I will walk into the Sun willingly'.

No.

As we told you then, as a divine duo of righteous Christian and the Morninglords true faithful-

No.

There is only one way to assist a vampire.

The gift of True Death.

I loved you as a friend and comrade in arms, Brother Mars, but I would not help the creature that you became.

What is his excuse?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:23:55 AM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2022, 03:39:20 AM »

There was so much emotion that wracked him, an often unseen maelstrom covered by magical enchantments or swaths of vibrant colorations.

The months of meditation were critical to maintaining the steel facade, the invincible image.

It slipped and flickered time from time, most often when he was doting or mourning. It revealed a pool of incredible depth, depth he himself was afraid of.

Iridni and Lexington had both told him during different times that he should be more like that- to be more open.

Mara was right. He didn't know how. Everything remained repressed, released only in weakness or in great confidence.

The return of his mental compass, and mentor brought every brick of that wall down if only for a moment.

He sat at the desk in the bottom of the wayfarers, one of his more reclusive spots, drafting the two letters bound for the Morninglordians.

The pen would taptaptaptap as he wrote furiously, mumbling aloud "I still recall the pleading in his voice...."

His hand would rise and slam onto the desk, a breif uncontrolled anger thrashing outward to clear the other half of the desk top.

Only the two letters, his quill and inkpot, and tattered journal remained.

The journal fell open, and again the pen went tap...tap...tap

We are taught many things, as divine soldiers. He has many aspect- kindness, love but certainly not last..

Wrath.

It feels like I have been here before.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:29:18 AM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2022, 11:07:05 AM »
"For someone who claims to know a lot of our ways, you truly understand very little at times, my friend."

Truth to the stone, but it is no baseless claim. 

I do not understand everything, all of the time.  I am fundamentally different, though in the end we all seek the same goal.  The shell, the glorious tabbard, does not solely define me, anymore.

I am more. I am human. I feel love. I feel fear

For once, I am trying to share it.

Consider this my pigheaded way of showing my concern, but that is fine- I can take the collective rebuke and move forward with it too.

Without all of you, I would have gone to the Abyss long ago,  because welcoming death like an old friend would hurt less than seeing them all when I try to find peace.

In the end, it doesn't matter, so long as you know that I will always be your sword and shield

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2022, 09:52:13 PM »

Fear

There is so much fear that creeps across this hateful playground, threaded by the dark powers, our sadistic keepers. Sitting with our Sister today reminded me that it is not just the ordinary peasants that feel fear-  that we feel it too.

We are afraid of things we do not understand, or of memories of traumatic experiences. 

I still remember Teresca's face, gawking at me with unbridled terror when I called forth the Divine Power of the Lord, and struck down the wererat that ambushed her with a single blow.

I remember the fear I felt, confessing to Mara.

If there was one thing I could change, it would not be to defeat every Evil or wish them away-

I would rid this twisted world of fear

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2022, 01:18:24 PM »

Pride

I am so incredibly proud of you.  Maybe now you will find yourself worthy of the faith I have in you.

If only Father Mikolos were here to see this- to see how well you fight with that spear, and how incredible it is to see the full fury of your Lord against mine.

I am sorry if I ever made you feel like an echo because I forgot how to contain my own loneliness.

I celebrate the path you walk, the both of you - my great friends, and regret only that I have failed to express it through this whiskey haze.

I do not have to be afraid for you anymore.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2022, 01:16:41 AM »
I have spent so long trapped by the memory of woman that I had forgotten how to enjoy life.

I felt my life flash before my eyes when I recognized her name.

I crossed through the estate, as I did many, in pursuit of the deserters.  I remember the look on every face as I squeezed the trigger.  Every death is replayed in my dreams.

The click of the rifle.

The thunderous roar.

I watched the life leave their eyes.

A good soldier follows orders, and bound by oath and contract, I followed mine. 

I put a bullet into the chest and back of every man and woman that took up arms against the Republique, with a small elite squade of the Gendarme.   We put down many, and it was a massacre-  how could they stand against me?

They were peasants in torn blue tunics.

They ran, but the bullet ran faster.

I see them in my dreams, and I will see them tonight, I am sure- though I might see her

I remember the story, the heiress mistakenly reported as dead, and the tragedy that followed.  A shared nightmare, but for very cold, ruthlessly different reasons.

How very unexpected

A dance macabre.

A private duel.  A game of Chess. A glass of brandy. A perfect, painted set of lips.
Truly, I have laughed and I have smiled, yesterday and today- and it was not forced. I did not feel the need to drown myself in these crystaline bottles of pure, delicious poison.
I can taste happiness, and joy, without them.

I am afraid of it becoming undone.

I am afraid of it turning to ash in my mouth like every other broken dream.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2022, 10:08:37 AM »
-
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 12:36:38 PM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2022, 09:24:34 AM »

"There were no deserters, Audric."

God grant me peace, if it right for him to do so.

It makes so much sense. It was right in front of my face.

The twist in my stomach. The letter from Blake and Anatole.

Him telling me to never speak of the armor again.

These tattered peasants near Chateaufaux were not deserters committing banditry.

They were the resistance to the council.  The last of the Covenants men not trapped in Amaranthe.

And I killed them all.

"You couldn't have known, Audric."

The Compagne was supposed to die.  I was supposed to die.

Maybe I should have.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:51:08 AM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2022, 05:36:19 AM »
I hear every strangled gasp.

I smell the blackpowder.

I feel their fear.

My heart races every time I close my eyes,

I see them.

For every victory I have, I will always remember my failures.

I am sorry I did not listen better, Jean.

Maybe things would have been different

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2022, 09:56:36 PM »
It was strange to write her that letter. My armor is brittle, and my heart exposed.

There has been so much loss and grief that I struggle to manage it all.

I have had my victories

I have acquired knowledge that likely should have been lost to time

All of Van Richten's works, the scholastic studies of the Dark Powers, and many of the Dark Lords

It will all die with me. Were it known, I could not bear the thought of the tragedy that would follow.

The woman I met the other night surprised me so very much.  It was not something I expected. I am thankful for the people that can call me for what I am.  A bitter fool.

This tangled web of sorrow and death is drowning me, but I cannot rest until I have accomplished what I was placed here to do.

I just wish I didn't have to do it alone.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 10:07:19 PM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2022, 07:50:52 PM »
I am continually surprised

There has been so many times that I have felt weak recently. Uncharacteristically unsteady.

I've spent so long looking at the grand scope of things that I missedwhat's infront of me.

I forgot how to have fun and cherish existence for what it is- a chance to do better, and bring about much needed change

I am thankful for my great friends, old and new, (A note is scribbled to the side here- Three to five days, she might actually kill me.) for reminding me to live.

The best fun I've had in years is that dear idiot Roland nearly getting us arrested for 'blaphemous disrespect'

I should thank them for reminding me that I am only human.

This world is lacking in passion and kindness, and I am blessed to be surrounded with people that inspire me to have both.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 08:20:29 PM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2022, 12:48:31 AM »
Now the alabaster terror won't turn me into a pile of sparkling embers.It is a marketed improvement on my life expectancy.

Hazlan should probably be avoided for a little while.

The scope of free world grows smaller for the two charlatans, and a thorn may soon get plucked.

How very interesting.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2022, 03:34:26 AM »
I wish it had never come to this.

I have always chosen peace.

There were so many opportunities that I had to become the aspect, the avatar of Michael

I could have chosen wrath. I never did.

I spared Rhea. I worked with Domenico. I forgave and tried to redeem those that the world had forgotten.

I could have killed her when she raided the Dawnslayers.

I have shown nothing but love, compassion, and patience.

Why must they plague my heart with war?

God help me, if it is right for him to do so.

They threaten my friends, and I am reminded-

I was put here for a reason.

Is this it?

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2022, 03:50:33 AM »

Why?

The question burns in my soul and it crushes the fragments of my heart into a fine cutting sand.

I hear it again.

I hear the black wind howl again.

I never thought the day would come that I would have to take off my Tabbard.

They warned me.

I denied them.

And now, I am forced to abandon hearth and home, to pray for better days.

I have never backed down once.

Nor have I ever been asked to do so.

Never too late for new things, hm?

"I need you to run, because it is what is right. It is the only thing you can do, now.

No..

Not the only thing.

I could kill them all

.. but I even find their wretched lives precious too ..

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2022, 09:41:17 PM »

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it"

They were right. Only one course of action was left to them all to stem the tide of blood

It was against every instinct, against the righteous zeal I live by.

"This is not running, Audric. This is a tactical withdrawal"

How right you were, Vandryn. It is good we have not forgotten Yueshen.

I have always been a man of strong faith, and despite my self doubt, and sorrow...

He sent me angels

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »

A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape.

Heavy may the blow of your enemy strike,

But the knife from a friend drives so much deeper

It slips between the plates of ones armor and it slides right into the heart

Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams

You have broken them

And I will break you.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2022, 09:03:41 PM »

A newfound comfort,

A treasured angel

Yet my heart still turns to a bitter blackness, as I remove the dagger she placed in my ribs

I hoped I could reach you with care and compassion as you played your stupid games

I am conflicted by the zeal my brethren show because while I do not want the creature to keep it's kill, she rests with the Lords judgment, capable of recieving his mercy and forgiveness.

I offer no such mercy

Reject the gates of Heaven and I will accept only one last confession

Your final breath

Maybe he is right.

I am a storm.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2022, 11:08:21 PM »

I am conflicted.

I know that I must move quickly, that I must find her before they do.

Will I be forgiven?Will I be forsaken?

I cannot tolerate the existence of betrayers any longer, but the thought of having to drive the light from her eyes myself is something I cannot bear.

Still, may the knife never strike the heart twice.

I gave you my word.

It was the one I wish I'd never given..

But

What has a man to give, but his word?

((Song choice soley the fault of Primethegrime. Please forward all complaints to him.))

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2022, 12:44:10 AM »

My fear has come to fruition.

I was too late.

I cannot let my broken heart stop me from doing what must be done

I will not hesitate again.

You should not have become my enemy

Let there be no rest for the wicked. Let the rivers run red.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:55:34 AM by Knight of Rhodes »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2022, 12:35:36 PM »

Everything can change in an instant.

Just like that,

A sweet release

My blood thirst slaked , the storm quelled. I can honor my oath without being consumed by it.

A gentle touch and a glittering light that cuts through pure darkness

You have no idea what you have given me

Solace

I will give you my world

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2022, 10:02:19 PM »

It is terrifying to me to think how close I've edged the loss of sanity- how close I've come to losing my mind. The list of friends I have buried could fill up the graveyard of the city and overflow it's catacombs.

The chain of events that started when she drove her knife into our ribs was near sure to add to the unending list.

As evidenced by my own writing, I reacted with impulse when I read that she had possibly returned.

Anger is a tool

it can fuel determination

Crush weakness,

However, anger is corrupt and cancerous. It is a beast held by fraying ropes, with both your friends an enemies within reach of fatal claws.

I do not not regret my rage

I only regret losing control.

Strength is useless without the wisdom to wield it, and for all my flaws, I am a wise man.

If you desire peace, prepare for war- and Lord, with your angels, with my dear guardian, I have always been prepared for war.

I must learn how to handle peace, now.

Peace and desire