You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.  (Read 137599 times)

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
Re: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.
« Reply #400 on: May 16, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
Giant slugs seemingly cannot move, at least where they're found in Dementlieu in the Eastern sewers. Is this intentional?
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #401 on: May 16, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »
Giant slugs seemingly cannot move, at least where they're found in Dementlieu in the Eastern sewers. Is this intentional?
I thought that they just move super slowly?

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #402 on: May 16, 2021, 09:56:13 PM »
They are not so slow as to be completely stationary. There are a few places they just get caught and can't move at all because they're too big.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2021, 02:15:51 PM »
Can confirm that they're (or these two at least) entirely jammed in place. They occasionally try to inch forward, but they're rubberbanded back because they're hitting geometry. Presumably their hitboxes are enormous.

Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe

Grunt

« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2021, 03:13:33 AM »
In Ghastria - Tunnels, the Small Grave Ooze is so small in fact that you can't really click it. I see the mouse icon turn into a sword only during certain points of its animation, for like a split second.

I've tried to resize them a little bit. Let me know if it helps.

It has not helped.

Went through the ghastria tunnel, all of the "small grave ooze" were beneath the ground floor unable to be clicked, unable to be looted.

Could use a change.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #405 on: July 25, 2021, 08:01:30 PM »
Prisoner Slayer needs more fireballs, and or ranged attacks to be able to throw at players. It is currently possible to kill him with ranged attacks from the walkway leading up to him.

Spoiler: show

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:13:17 PM by tylernwn »

Evendur

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #406 on: August 21, 2021, 03:55:08 PM »
Desert Troll Fleshshaper seem to cast "Control Undead" on living enemies (no undead were around at all)

Id suggest to change that to something effective against the usual adventurer.

Ashgan

• New to the Mists
Re: Erroneous and ineffective creatures. - The Blaustein Shipwreck Tentacles
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2021, 09:16:06 AM »
Hi everyone, when I was clearing the shipwreck yesterday, I was paralyzed by one of the tentacles. Other attacks of the same type of tentacle prompted the "Character Name: Immune to Poison" text, which made me assume it was a poison, to which my character, being a druid, should be, and later was, immune. I had a Greater Stoneskin spell cast, so I'm thinking that may have done something towards this end. There was also a will save prompted, though I succeeded on it. Sadly, I have no screenshot of the "Immune to poison" messages, but here's a screenshot of when the paralyze must've hit (I did not attack anymore after the Bolt attack of the Monstrous Fanged Tentacle). https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2588229691

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2021, 10:41:11 AM »
Lately Ogre High Mages don't seem to use their spells properly. They just cast invisibility and ghostly visage, then start attacking in melee.

EarlofEtheria

• Undead Master
« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
Vampire Matriarch's were casting Ray of Frost and Daze once their spell count started to deplete to empty.

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #410 on: September 28, 2021, 11:20:07 AM »
This isn't a technical error or bug exactly, but as a character who is tied thematically to werewolves I have noticed that the placement of the one type of classic gothic horror lycanthrope that is legitimately a threat to characters in the middle levels is not present where it would provide some use.

Would it not make sense for Alpha Werewolves to not be exclusively tucked away in a far off place that no one has incentive to travel to (beyond delivering supplies) and also spawned sporadically where level 10+ adventurers passed through? Sporadically...because the maybe/maybe not of an event adds more tension than it being expected.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:30:15 AM by mappinger »

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #411 on: January 04, 2022, 07:39:44 PM »
The summon monster V giant turtle is super useless! It does nothing!

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #412 on: January 10, 2022, 02:52:14 AM »
ghostly servants in raduta keep cannot be hit with a Bar Ethel (+4 undead), it returns ineffective weapon.

same goes for shadow demons same location, but i dont know how they classify (greater shadows are fine).

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #413 on: January 10, 2022, 03:20:11 AM »
ghostly servants in raduta keep cannot be hit with a Bar Ethel (+4 undead), it returns ineffective weapon.

same goes for shadow demons same location, but i dont know how they classify (greater shadows are fine).

Shadow demons are... well, demons. They're not undead.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2022, 03:33:25 AM »

eeeeh... not sure about that. the description says they are demons trapped as shadows, and do drop shadow essences so could be both, could be either...

Character List:

Marph - Closured

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #415 on: January 10, 2022, 03:51:58 AM »

eeeeh... not sure about that. the description says they are demons trapped as shadows, and do drop shadow essences so could be both, could be either...

A quick Google search throws up links describing them as being of the Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri, Incorporeal) type. At no point does any of that make them undead.

Mind you, I can't find a single 3e source on the matter, but 3.5e should be close enough here.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Forte

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • He is a king whom emperors have served.
« Reply #416 on: January 10, 2022, 04:05:16 AM »
They are still undead.

Bless Weapon functions completely fine against Shadows, and Bless Weapon is distinctly against the Undead type of enemy.

Bless Weapon
Spell Level: Paladin 1
Innate Level: 1
School: Transmutation
Component: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Touch
Area of Effect / Target: Creature or Weapon
Duration: 1 Hour + 2 Turns / Level
You empower the touched weapon with a 2d6 divine damage bonus versus undead and a +1 enhancement bonus.

Not only that, but the vanilla game also registers shadows as undead on the official wiki, and summonable Shadow through Shadowdancer.

While official PnP material may differ, they are most def undead ingame!
Dzenifér Uralkodó - HATEFUL

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2022, 04:38:09 AM »
They are still undead.

Bless Weapon functions completely fine against Shadows, and Bless Weapon is distinctly against the Undead type of enemy.

Quote from: Bless Weapon description
You empower the touched weapon with a 2d6 divine damage bonus versus undead and a +1 enhancement bonus.

Not only that, but the vanilla game also registers shadows as undead on the official wiki, and summonable Shadow through Shadowdancer.

While official PnP material may differ, they are most def undead ingame!

... Those are shadows, and they're undead in PnP too. Maffa and I are debating whether shadow demons are also undead. PnP (and common sense, IMO, considering their name specifically calls them out as demons) says they're not.

Cast of Characters

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2022, 05:23:54 AM »

The latter is indeed a kind of demon, at least in tabletop. Confusingly, they are also sometimes called shadow fiends, but the former creatures are indeed a variety of shadow, which is an undead creature, but they (Shadow Fiends and Greater Shadow Fiends) are a distinct subclass with different abilities and attack patterns. If it walks like a humanoid, it's undead: a "Greater Shadow" is also a thing, and they're also undead. Base NWN has "Shadow", "Shadow Fiend" and "Shadow Lord", but PotM has removed the latter and added some more variety.

Quote from: Forgotten Realms Wiki
Shadow demons, also called shadow fiends, were the product of a demon whose essence could not properly reform in the Abyss. Trapped within the form of a living silhouette, these demons were merely shadows of their former selves.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2022, 06:10:04 AM »
This said, I know there are some creatures that even if theyhave the moniker "shadow" they are not treatedas such, like the lesser wolves in the sullen woods. So this is why Iam uncertain about the shadow demons. the description of the creature would make one believe they are indeed shadows but i will refer that to Those That Know.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2022, 06:25:05 AM »
Mm, shadow wolves are fey, shadow demons are outsiders, shadows and shadow fiends are undead.

There is confusion with fiend and demon being used interchangeably at times, but blame the authors. Shadow <> undead, except for the "shadow" creature, which is.

Lots of fun.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2022, 06:37:24 AM »
but if the yare outsiders why they drop black shadow essence?

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2022, 08:11:13 AM »
I go with "because they are fueled by negative energy while in this plane" as an explanation to people IC. So after dying, seems they would drop something to that refines into negative energy.

Lexica

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #423 on: January 20, 2022, 09:18:59 PM »
The Sleeping King's destruction spells and bolt attacks are significantly less dangerous than his melee attacks, and take up an entire round of his actions. Given that the Sleeping King is essentially always fought as a solo encounter, him wasting rounds on such ineffective abilities really reduces his threat level.

I think that either these abilities should be removed entirely, to make him more dangerous, or else replaced with something more effective, like greater ruin.
Michelle Anciaux

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #424 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:12 PM »
Some Shadowfiends in the Sullen Woods cast darkness too many times. If you can't see through the darkness it is annoying, but if you have ultravision you get to enjoy 5-7 rounds of free hits before the monsters start attacking you back.