You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.  (Read 137575 times)

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Re: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
This is the report about the erroneous creature called Dusanu found in Har'Akir.

This source material says it inflicts a disease which shows no outward sign of infection for 1d3+1 days and then attempts to kill the target (fort vs. death) and begin hijacking its remains 1d3+1 days later.

To test the ingame effect, I waited a couple hours of real life time without curing the disease. Nothing happened. I logged out for several hours then came back, and had lost 1 CHA. Repeating the process over the course of the next day, I then lost 1 INT and then 1 STR each time I logged in after several hours, but then I recovered from the disease upon the final login. This doesn't appear consistent with the source material at all. I think the ability damage should be coming in much quicker and a fortitude save against death should be made at some point.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
Also, the Dusanu are unaffected by healing, but they sure look undead to me.

Nevermind!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:45:17 PM by Hypatia »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #352 on: February 09, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »
It's not limited to dasanus. Poisons and diseases in general would benefit from being revised completely. It is low on our priorities though.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #353 on: February 09, 2020, 02:49:02 PM »
Oh I would love to see some really high tier diseases you can't just one-click away.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #354 on: February 09, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »
Even if you can one-click them away, it still incurs a consumable cost (remove disease is plainly a waste of a spell slot). The diseases simply need to be rebalanced a bit. Some poisons and diseases are truly crippling and take effect near-instantaneously, while others, like this one, take forever, and aren't a big deal when they should have the capability of being fatal.

But, not to clog up the thread with theoretical game design blahblah. I can understand if it's not a priority though, just thought it was worth mentioning.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #355 on: March 06, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »
The puny DC 14 Fear cast by Goristros is affecting the Aspect of Chernovog in Lysaga Hill.

9th circle Divine casters are typically immune to DC 14 Will saves, so something is definitely wrong here.

Its death message is also misspelled, reading "disolves" rather than "dissolves."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:53:55 PM by SardineTheAncestor »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
The puny DC 14 Fear cast by Goristros is affecting the Aspect of Chernovog in Lysaga Hill.

9th circle Divine casters are typically immune to DC 14 Will saves, so something is definitely wrong here.

Its death message is also misspelled, reading "disolves" rather than "dissolves."

I'll fix both.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »
Slow shadows (black ooze blob model) aren't immune to negative energy and auto-die when they spawn in a certain negative energy area.

I'll fix this. This was an oversight.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2020, 06:26:36 AM »
There is a creature in Perfidus, in the outdoors portion, its name started with H (edit: It's named Hamatula, courtesy of inkcorvid). After just two or three rounds of combat, it would take over the entire chatbox with its spam messages.

I like return damage as a mechanic, but this is a bit much, it's quite disruptive. Maybe its message could be moved to the combat log or something.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:14:57 AM by SardineTheAncestor »

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #359 on: May 22, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »
I found this too with Ly'in

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #360 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
There is a creature in Perfidus, in the outdoors portion, its name started with H (edit: It's named Hamatula, courtesy of inkcorvid). After just two or three rounds of combat, it would take over the entire chatbox with its spam messages.

I like return damage as a mechanic, but this is a bit much, it's quite disruptive. Maybe its message could be moved to the combat log or something.

I'll convert these to combat log messages.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »
There was a screenshot of a Greater Shadow Spider casting both Shield and Shield of Faith, if this could be switched to just Shield (if the shield of faith isn't doing +5 AC for it) it'd have an extra round to do other things (though this is extremely minor).

Noble Salamanders don't try to cast dispel magic on Darkness, preventing them from dispelling other players who hide in the darkness to fight them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:53:15 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Sinful Mystic

• Undead Master
« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I have noticed Umber Hulks confusing each other a lot lately. They should probably be immune.
Celynna of Elevashe
Erika Tinescu

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
There was a screenshot of a Greater Shadow Spider casting both Shield and Shield of Faith, if this could be switched to just Shield (if the shield of faith isn't doing +5 AC for it) it'd have an extra round to do other things (though this is extremely minor).

Noble Salamanders don't try to cast dispel magic on Darkness, preventing them from dispelling other players who hide in the darkness to fight them.

I'll fix the former (remove Shield of Faith); can't do much about #2 as that's more of an AI issue.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I have noticed Umber Hulks confusing each other a lot lately. They should probably be immune.

That's technically not a bug since Confusion affects living creatures, regardless of hostility setting. As such a Umber Hulk could be victim to another Umber Hulk's confusion gaze. It's not necessarily ideal design though.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #364 on: July 17, 2020, 02:06:37 AM »
Summoned Lantern Archon preferred attack is melee packing a whooping 1d2-1, while seldom casting any of its 20xday lightning bolts, magic missile. Moreover it casts aid only when the fight is over and doesnt try to heal itself.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #365 on: July 17, 2020, 04:24:07 AM »
Can confirm the habits of the Lantern Archon, summoned from good alignment spell "Lesser Planar Binding".

It casts Ethereal Visage at its first engagement, and then tries to attack in melee.

Only if it's surrounded or away from the caster does it begin to cast its spells, and prefers to try conserve magic otherwise with its melee attacks.

Long distance foes it might try to cast lightning bolt but it's more likely to try melee.

If it's possible to give it a more caster-oriented AI, that would be nice, it looks like fun backup support if it was working correctly as summoned artillery.

Rainor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #366 on: July 19, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Hazlan: Krenshers.

They use a scare attack when they see an enemy, however, this attack doesn't do anything. I noticed I wasn't being forced to make a save when it hit me, and a lvl 3 player that was with me was completely unaffected by the scare.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2020, 03:18:29 AM »
Sometimes Shadows in the Sullen forest cast Darkness before true seeing thus they remain helpless in their own dark and they make me laugh so much the silly sausages  :lol:

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2020, 05:11:41 AM »
Sometimes Shadows in the Sullen forest cast Darkness before true seeing thus they remain helpless in their own dark and they make me laugh so much the silly sausages  :lol:
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt darkness is utter useless as they have 50% concealment anyways.. and darkness does the same but those wont stack. I suppose they are stupid enough undead that they dont realize they wont need darkness.. but I think they should have ultravision (thats what you refered to right) as default.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2020, 05:21:26 AM »
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt darkness is utter useless as they have 50% concealment anyways.. and darkness does the same but those wont stack. I suppose they are stupid enough undead that they dont realize they wont need darkness.. but I think they should have ultravision (thats what you refered to right) as default.

you are right they might be casting Ultravision or any other "I can see you you cant see me" spell, i think it's to catch you flatfooted if you dont have blind fighting -but if you have, you get/stay inside the dark and start hitting them before they can cast their Ultravision or whatever, they panic and run off their own dark aaah ill never not laugh loud at this
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:07:20 AM by Maffa »

Character List:

Marph - Closured

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
No, its not useless. Casting Darkness before Ultravision is perfectly valid, it stops you from attacking them immediately while they begin their other buffs, while helping hide any other shadows nearby who often stealth when returning to attack.

The effect of darkness does two things, it blinds creatures within, and it gifts concealment (that is pierced by ultravision instead of see invisibility), so as a protective spell it works well.

While attacking a creature that is concealed (not visible by Spot/sight to the player) does offer a 50% concealment anyway, there is a mechanic for being blinded by darkness which causes an "attacker miss chance" percentile of 50% to those blinded as well.

The Blind-Fight feat, rather than offer a reroll against this additional miss chance percentile, actually eliminates it entirely in NWN, so not everyone sees that or knows about it if they've always been told to take blind-fight anyway.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »
No, its not useless. Casting Darkness before Ultravision is perfectly valid, it stops you from attacking them immediately while they begin their other buffs, while helping hide any other shadows nearby who often stealth when returning to attack.

The effect of darkness does two things, it blinds creatures within, and it gifts concealment (that is pierced by ultravision instead of see invisibility), so as a protective spell it works well.

While attacking a creature that is concealed (not visible by Spot/sight to the player) does offer a 50% concealment anyway, there is a mechanic for being blinded by darkness which causes an "attacker miss chance" percentile of 50% to those blinded as well.

The Blind-Fight feat, rather than offer a reroll against this additional miss chance percentile, actually eliminates it entirely in NWN, so not everyone sees that or knows about it if they've always been told to take blind-fight anyway.

my point being if you are blind you still have same change to hit concealed creatures, there for darkness is actually useless since you would hit then 50% of time anyways with sufficient attack roll.. only thing is that if you are not paying attension, you have to manually select new target.

Kamfrenchie

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
« Reply #372 on: October 04, 2020, 10:56:00 AM »
The jackalwere in Har akir are way too weak, and spend their time getting curbstomped by other creatures...

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #373 on: October 15, 2020, 10:52:24 AM »
More on the erroneous creature side of things. The Nightwalker as it appears in POTM seems to be immune to magic (I saw the "magic immunity" message in the combat log vs every spell I cast that allowed a spell resistance check [fireball/sonic-lance/greater missile storm]), and it has immunity to acid. These are not properties it has in the SRD/Monster Compendium 3.5. So it looks like it might have some erroneous properties.

As it appears now its not really a nightcrawler, but some kind of super nightcrawler lord/archmage/chosen-of-shar, next level undead. And its name should probably reflect that.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:05:43 AM by tylernwn »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #374 on: October 15, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
More on the erroneous creature side of things. The Nightwalker as it appears in POTM seems to be immune to magic (I saw the "magic immunity" message in the combat log vs every spell I cast that allowed a spell resistance check), and acid. These are not properties it has in the SRD/Monster Compendium 3.5. So it looks like it might have some erroneous properties.

As it appears now its not really a nightcrawler, but some kind of super nightcrawler lord/archmage/chosen-of-shar next level undead, and its name should probably reflect that.

The Ascendant Nightwalker is immune to magic. Is there a regular nightwalker...and is it also immune to magic?

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.