Author Topic: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.  (Read 138277 times)

- carrion -

• PotM Elder Thing
  • Dark Power
  • Waiting ... dreaming ...
Re: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2007, 07:02:37 AM »
Alright ... about half the creatures on the server seem to be bugged.
I checked in multiple areas and everywhere it's the same:

Creatures run to attack you, then about 50 % of them attack for 2 or 3 rounds, then
stand still and stare at you lobotomized.
The other 50 % don't even bother to try to attack, or just stop short in their tracks
once they reach you.

Well either Neg, Frieda and all the others to whom this has happened now smell really
bad or it's a serious bug.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
you sure it's not just lag-induced?  :shock:

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

- carrion -

• PotM Elder Thing
  • Dark Power
  • Waiting ... dreaming ...
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2007, 11:59:32 AM »
I thought so at first, but my response time was instantenous.

The spawns just ceased to move.

Happened to me in the following areas:

Barovian Mausoleum
Forest Fane
Ivlis Marches
Svalich Road - Crossroads
Svalich Road - Bridge over the river Ivlis
Crypts under the Sanctuary of Eternal Dawn

and two more areas which names I don't know right now.

I could literaly walk amongst some of the creatures without using stealth at all.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »
happened to me at vamps too, i could shake hands with blasphemes and wights *high five!*

they just stood there getting the spanking
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

DarkWyvern

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2007, 12:15:27 PM »
I've seen it before as well.. with Thouls and such. Its like when you are fighting a few of them, the others just stick to their random walk script as if you just aren't there. Its like they can't see you or something. My guess is that its a bug on their end. Like, when you log into an area and sometimes something is invis and the only way to find it is to Tab to see its name, but you are unable to target. Same with the Spawns...*shrugs* My theory at least

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2007, 12:20:24 PM »
Must be because Hips not workin'!11!!

And you know that Hips dont lie!  :rimshot:

:ontome:

Thestral

• Drifter
  • Dark Lord
  • I think I stabbed my brain!
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
Eraldur is getting the kill button next time I see him in game for that....  ;)

Careful with that Q-tip now sparky....

Negnar

• THE Negnar
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »
Eraldur is getting the kill button next time I see him in game for that....  ;)

Prove it

Anyway what kinda creatures it is that do not attack ssems to differ at times, can't seem to find a pattern if there is one

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
Reason for the creatures not fighting back was due to a sort of glitch in last patch... Have uploaded fix update that will be loaded within minutes...

Catacomb

• One of the Regular People
  • Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:23 PM »
Some ghouls in the Baro crypts decide to stay in stealth mode and walk toward the people attacking em.  I'd say on average 50% run at their enemies while the rest try to be stealthy. (and fail miserably)

sig by Garison

Account: CatacombD

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2007, 11:18:55 AM »
The fact that some critters stealth is a nice touch now though :D

Sig by Garison

Catacomb

• Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2007, 03:44:54 PM »
I'll admit, was a nice touch when I got jumped by a stealth werewolf.

However, the ghouls that can be easily spotted by my 0 spot, 0 listen character should probably just forget trying to be sneaky.  :P

Edit: Also, the creatures continue to try and sneak even when they're being hit by ranged weapons and spells and such.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 03:46:25 PM by Catacomb »

sig by Garison

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
maybe i should just boost the ghouls' hide and m/s skills! :evillol:

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2007, 08:17:17 AM »
maybe i should just boost the ghouls' hide and m/s skills! :evillol:

Whatever rocks your boat(or however its said) :twisted:

Sig by Garison

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »
By the newest updates to the AI, creatures will enter sneak mode if hearing commotion nearby (yet not spotting enemy) and their Hide/MS is above 10, otherwise they'll enter search mode. Ghouls must have just above that, but not by much, since they are so easily detected. Could adjust the values I guess, but improving on their code in other ways anyway.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 11:56:32 AM by Zarathustra217 »

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »
By the newest updates to the AI, creatures will enter sneak mode if hearing commotion nearby (not spotting enemy) and their Hide/MS is above 10. Ghouls must have just above that, but not by much, since they are so easily detected. Could adjust the values I guess, but improving on their code in other ways anyway.

AI as per the newest update has greatly improved encounters, I've noticed much smarter creatures and Ghouls being better spotters than used to be; also the general response from monsters upon seeing PC's has improved, being much quicker than it was.

I'll add more as I dungeon more.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
That cleric in the wolf caves was/is close to impossible now.. Much improved.. One thing that was quite odd though was that her spells refreshed themselves very rapidly.. Didnt take more than 3 minutes before she was fully healed and had all her spells back.. Would think that things would be the same for all casting creatures, and that is just way to fast..

Sig by Garison

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
That cleric in the wolf caves was/is close to impossible now.. Much improved.. One thing that was quite odd though was that her spells refreshed themselves very rapidly.. Didnt take more than 3 minutes before she was fully healed and had all her spells back.. Would think that things would be the same for all casting creatures, and that is just way to fast..

Well, a new feature in the system has it so that if a player repeatedly enters an area, fights and get wounded, then exits again to regenerate only to enter again and repeat this manoeuvre shamelessly persistent, the creatures will restore health and spells between each fight... much seeming like a DM was standing there playing tricks with the player :P

Anyway, let's hear more... ;)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »
One Bodak seemed to n00b me, didn't death gaze attack me on close range, stopped twice during a fight for almost [less than] 1 second, but resumed almost immidiately, nothing like it as prior the fix, but I noticed a slight something from the response. Might be worth checking Bodaks.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

Well, a new feature in the system has it so that if a player repeatedly enters an area, fights and get wounded, then exits again to regenerate only to enter again and repeat this manoeuvre shamelessly persistent, the creatures will restore health and spells between each fight... much seeming like a DM was standing there playing tricks with the player :P

So evil.. Ruins my hit and run tactics :lol:

Sig by Garison

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2007, 03:24:45 PM »

So evil.. Ruins my hit and run tactics :lol:

*grin* Tehee!  :twisted:

To the topic, I've noticed that some critters still sort of lock up and refuse to react to anything, but I'm trying to track down a pattern in this... Any experiences and observations on that field would be most helpful. Pay attention to wether it's a certain type of creature, a certain situation or something like that.

For the creatures seeming like doing nothing for short durations, like a few seconds, typically after casting a spell or using a special ability, it's not actually having any other effect that it looks a bit silly visually. I'll see if I can fix it, but I consider it minor.

Catacomb

• Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »
Assassin vines can be crit and can be poisoned.

sig by Garison

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »
To the topic, I've noticed that some critters still sort of lock up and refuse to react to anything, but I'm trying to track down a pattern in this... Any experiences and observations on that field would be most helpful. Pay attention to wether it's a certain type of creature, a certain situation or something like that.

For the creatures seeming like doing nothing for short durations, like a few seconds, typically after casting a spell or using a special ability, it's not actually having any other effect that it looks a bit silly visually. I'll see if I can fix it, but I consider it minor.

Yeah, noticed it with shadows and scrags today.. At times they would just freeze for a second or two, allowing me to get in a sneak or two(where appropriate).. They would always resume what they were doing the next round though..

Sig by Garison

Catacomb

• Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
The Black Agnes in the Forest Fane map locked up when I last fought her.  Stood there for a good 3 rounds before my spider finally killed her.

sig by Garison

Catacomb

• Dark Power
  • Yes, very tired.
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »
The Drowned Lady in the marshes is pathetic.  She needs to be buffed in basically every way in order to even come close to being an appropriate challenge as a "boss" of that area. (Personally, I think the hag is easier than a hypno snake.)

The black agnes in the Forest Fane map should probably have her weak healing spells removed.  She tends to cast them so idiotically that they usually end up getting her killed faster.  She often casts cure light wounds while in melee, and just ends up getting herself pounded, when she might be a danger if she just fought instead.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:54:36 AM by Catacomb »

sig by Garison