You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.  (Read 137589 times)

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Re: Erroneous and ineffective creatures.
« Reply #275 on: December 09, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »
I think we need a 'Day of the Needlemen' event Bluebomber!
                                            (Triffids)
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Maric Arnand

• Undead Slayer
  • The Gnome Master
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
Not sure if they are suposed to be this way or not, but it seems the green oozes are not immune to acid damage. Not sure on the others as I usaly avoid them like the plauge. Black Puddings [shudder]

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Not sure if they are suposed to be this way or not, but it seems the green oozes are not immune to acid damage. Not sure on the others as I usaly avoid them like the plauge. Black Puddings [shudder]

Yeah, they should be immune to acid. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll get them fixed.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

swbf2lord

« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

Yeah, they should be immune to acid. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll get them fixed.

On a related note, why aren't fiendish aberrations immune to acid? They are to cold, but not acid. Strange because, they're acidic.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
Actually, I checked the d20 SRD and no oozes are immune to acid damage, even though they deal it. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#oozeType So the green slimes don't need fixing.

As for the fiendish aberrations, I don't know. They're an original/unique creation, so you'd have to ask the person who made them.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:14 PM »
Alpha deep forest wolves should have their CR raised.

Those things can party-wipe even high level groups, if they're not careful.

Even if it's just by a little bit.

Pls.

Geiger

« Reply #281 on: January 22, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »

Pls.

Especially the ones that go werewolf. The werewolf they turn into has about 20 AB, can KD  and called shot like no tomorrow, and does about 30 damage a hit.

It will give you an "not entirely idle" for killing three of them and nearly having a TPK at around level 12.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »
They are terribly tough for all of my characters!  I think they should be worth a bit more... Most of the time, the not thing to do is just run. Killing should be more rewarding, I think.

READY_PLAYER_ONE

• New to the Mists
« Reply #283 on: January 22, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »

Pls.

+1

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »
Agreed, but I feel there are a lot of things that could use a CR nudge. Like werefoxes. [shudders]
: )

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »

Pls.

Actually they are far less problematic than skeleton knights who use GS or Falchion.
The deep forest alpha is CR 11 so quite high allready. It is the creature that makes HOLD animal usefull:)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

swbf2lord

« Reply #286 on: January 23, 2014, 05:03:47 PM »

Pls.

Actually they are far less problematic than skeleton knights who use GS or Falchion.
The deep forest alpha is CR 11 so quite high allready. It is the creature that makes HOLD animal usefull:)

The only reason skeleton knights are more dangerous is because they roll 20s every few seconds. Which, may be denied, but from experience, I know it to be true.

The Deep Forest Alpha Wolf is deadly, much more so than the knights, other than that bug. CR 11? That's low for how powerful it is.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #287 on: January 23, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »

Pls.

The only reason skeleton knights are more dangerous is because they roll 20s every few seconds. Which, may be denied, but from experience, I know it to be true.

The Deep Forest Alpha Wolf is deadly, much more so than the knights, other than that bug. CR 11? That's low for how powerful it is.

That is a common misconception. Skeletons don't roll more 20s than everyone else. They crit more because they use weapons with high crit range and some have improved crit as a feat, which expands the crit range even more.
Not all who wander are lost.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #288 on: January 23, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »

Pls.

Also, don't forget the fact they are sneaky buggers. Both Deep Forest Alpha Wolf and Skeleton Knights can use a bit of a CR increase in my eyes.

swbf2lord

« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

Pls.

That is a common misconception. Skeletons don't roll more 20s than everyone else. They crit more because they use weapons with high crit range and some have improved crit as a feat, which expands the crit range even more.

I'm afraid you're wrong there, Troukk. I'm looking specifically at the log, and the attack roll. Not the critical threat range. That would mean that they roll 20s more than anyone else. Just last night I was in a group where they rolled them countlessly, hits. Not critical hits, but hits. Mobs rolling 20s aren't auto-crits, so I do realize what I'm saying.

Geiger

« Reply #290 on: January 23, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
The alpha deeps don't need nerf'd, their CR just needs raised so they're worth the fight outside of self-preservation. lol.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2014, 12:47:03 AM »
Actulally Troukk and swbf2lord both of you are correct.

They do tend to roll a lot of 20-s, and they do have the enhanced critical range.
Also both the DFWA and the SK have pa and i think IPA as well. These two the massive amount of crits they land, and the IPA is what makes them dangerous.
However usually you ahve to fight a skeleton knight in a less open area, which makes them in my oppinion harder to kill.
A deep forest alpha can be more easily disposed of if you have a spotter in group. Also their skins grant 44 gp, not to mention useable leather for midlow level.
So i think their CR needs not be changed. With carefull planning a group of level 3-s ( 3 level 3-s) can dispose of them.
I had lead some hunting parties to kill deep forest wolves in the last NCW. And i still on occasions lead new low level folks and show them how you can dispose of them with the least risk.
The only thing that is annoying in them is the high demand of animal empahty which is required to befriend them, which with an CR raise would become even higher, and their saves. (They have if i recall well +4 or +6 to will save, makeing them quite hard to be held via hold animal spell.)
I think the deep forest alpha is quite fitting for it's range. If you start to up it's CR, then thereafter quite a chain of monsters CR should be raised.
Since this creature requires a spotter to be easily fended off, whereas certain other creatures require in game ITEMS, or certain spells. (Magic weapon, magic varnihs +1 items etc.)
So actually i woudl leave this creatures CR where it is at, this is perhaps one of the FEW creatures on the server, that allows for nature kind of classes to shine a bit. (especially rangers)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

swbf2lord

« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:45 AM »
Actulally Troukk and swbf2lord both of you are correct.

They do tend to roll a lot of 20-s, and they do have the enhanced critical range.
Also both the DFWA and the SK have pa and i think IPA as well. These two the massive amount of crits they land, and the IPA is what makes them dangerous.
However usually you ahve to fight a skeleton knight in a less open area, which makes them in my oppinion harder to kill.
A deep forest alpha can be more easily disposed of if you have a spotter in group. Also their skins grant 44 gp, not to mention useable leather for midlow level.
So i think their CR needs not be changed. With carefull planning a group of level 3-s ( 3 level 3-s) can dispose of them.
I had lead some hunting parties to kill deep forest wolves in the last NCW. And i still on occasions lead new low level folks and show them how you can dispose of them with the least risk.
The only thing that is annoying in them is the high demand of animal empahty which is required to befriend them, which with an CR raise would become even higher, and their saves. (They have if i recall well +4 or +6 to will save, makeing them quite hard to be held via hold animal spell.)
I think the deep forest alpha is quite fitting for it's range. If you start to up it's CR, then thereafter quite a chain of monsters CR should be raised.
Since this creature requires a spotter to be easily fended off, whereas certain other creatures require in game ITEMS, or certain spells. (Magic weapon, magic varnihs +1 items etc.)
So actually i woudl leave this creatures CR where it is at, this is perhaps one of the FEW creatures on the server, that allows for nature kind of classes to shine a bit. (especially rangers)

CR referring to the individual strength of the mob though. A single skeleton knight isn't as tough as a single Alpha. While the environment might make the skeleton knights more dangerous (plus you're always fighting them in a group), individually, one-on-one, the Alpha is much more difficult.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2014, 02:05:30 AM »
As of next update, the wolves will be renamed and reorganized. They'll have the same CRs, but the names, appearance and crafting drops will be slightly altered, and the areas they spawn in will be altered as well.

Emaciated Wolves will become normal wolves (since a normal, full-strength wolf should only be CR1 in D&D), and the high-spawn upgrade will be an Advanced Wolf, a slightly resized wolf.

Deep Forest Wolves will become Advanced Worgs (and drop worg pelts, as well as having their creature type changed to magical beast), and will be a high spawn version of a normal worg spawn.

Deep Forest Alpha Wolves will become Dire Wolf Pack Leaders (with the appearance changed to a slightly larger dire wolf) and will be high spawn version of a normal dire wolf spawn. Dire wolf spawns will mostly be limited to the areas north of Lake Zarovich and around the Village of Barovia.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2014, 03:17:22 AM »
Could the name be kept 'Deep Forest Wolf' even if it's just shifted to the bigger normal wolves? It sounds more intimidating than 'advanced wolf' or 'dire wolf pack leader.'

swbf2lord

« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:56 AM »
Could the name be kept 'Deep Forest Wolf' even if it's just shifted to the bigger normal wolves? It sounds more intimidating than 'advanced wolf' or 'dire wolf pack leader.'

Not to mention, "Deep Forest Wolf" sounds more engaging.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2014, 03:57:31 AM »
I don't know, I rather like the change. They'll be confined to where they need to be, and plus you get something for killing them outside your own skin. So that's good in my book. Thanks, Blue.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #297 on: January 24, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »

Not to mention, "Deep Forest Wolf" sounds more engaging.

At the very least, perhaps "Dangerous" is a better than "Advanced"? Advanced makes them sound like they've been cybernetically enhanced...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #298 on: January 24, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
"Deep forest alpha" is going away as a name and is not coming back. It is far too specific and modern. It sounds like something a modern biologist would come up with.

"Advanced" might not be the best descriptor, but it is the standard term in D&D for a monster that has in advanced in levels and hit dice over the standard monster. It also sounded better than "strong", "tough", or "dangerous".

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #299 on: January 24, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
"Deep forest alpha" is going away as a name and is not coming back. It is far too specific and modern. It sounds like something a modern biologist would come up with.

"Advanced" might not be the best descriptor, but it is the standard term in D&D for a monster that has in advanced in levels and hit dice over the standard monster. It also sounded better than "strong", "tough", or "dangerous".

"Large" might work as a descriptor, since the stronger wolves will be slightly larger. "Advanced" definitely sounds too modern as well.