You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Hala Questions!  (Read 2535 times)

Song of Danta

Hala Questions!
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:58:39 PM »
The favored weapon of Hala is a dagger, but the material posted earlier today said that travelling priests only carry blunt weaponry. Mine uses a spear (father was a spear fisher) and a dagger most of the time. Is this okay?
I can understand why it ought to be blunt, though.

Also, are hag-hunting activities acceptable for members of the priesthood? I try to limit my character to healing duties most of the time because a Halan warrior-priest always seemed a bit weird in my mind, but he will specifically go fully Rambo on hags.

Would it be a stretch to have a Halan druid 'priest'?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:54:37 AM by Gavin Mace »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Halans and weaponry!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:53 AM »
The favored weapon of Hala is a dagger, but the material posted earlier today said that travelling priests only carry blunt weaponry. Mine uses a spear (father was a spear fisher) and a dagger most of the time. Is this okay?
I can understand why it ought to be blunt, though.
The difference there is between 2nd edition and 3rd edition rules. Favored Weapons are a 3rd ediiton rule and didn't exist in 2nd edition rules. In this case, I would say the 3rd edition rules supersede the 2nd edition ones and you can continue to use a dagger.

Also, are hag-hunting activities acceptable for members of the priesthood? I try to limit my character to healing duties most of the time because a Halan warrior-priest always seemed a bit weird in my mind, but he will specifically go fully Rambo on hags.
I would say it's acceptable. While fighting hags is more of a concern of Halan witch covens, I would think the clergy of the Church of Hala would also oppose them.

Would it be a stretch to have a Halan druid 'priest'?
I think Halan witches could be druids, but the priesthood would be clerics.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Song of Danta

Re: Halans and weaponry!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »
Thanks! Time to get an ogre club.

Two more questions:

Hospices are isolated throughout the Core and there is no overarching structure governing them. These temples are formed of either female or male priests of Hala who call themselves witches and warlocks

So, the title for a priest/priestess is warlock/witch, in spite of the actual warlocks/witches who masquerade as... priests in the hospices? My mind is melting.

And, just for clarification: is it Halite, Halan, or either?

EDIT: One more! Monastic orders were mentioned. I assume these would be pacifistic in nature, similar to the Pools of Peace (Eldath) order from Faerūn, and focus on traditional medicine, correct?
Sort of a... fat friar monk VS. Kung Fu master type monk.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:03:46 AM by Gavin Mace »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Hala Questions!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 01:08:43 AM »
Thanks! Time to get an ogre club.

Two more questions:

Hospices are isolated throughout the Core and there is no overarching structure governing them. These temples are formed of either female or male priests of Hala who call themselves witches and warlocks

So, the title for a priest/priestess is warlock/witch, in spite of the actual warlocks/witches who masquerade as... priests in the hospices? My mind is melting.
That's from the 3rd edition setting book which doesn't elaborate as much as they should. Witches/warlocks of Hala are essentially priests of Hala, but they aren't necessarily clerics, and they aren't part of the standard clergy of the Church of Hala. They will often pose as standard members of the clergy, particularly in places where witches would be persecuted, such as Tepest or areas where the Church of Ezra is particularly zealous.

And, just for clarification: is it Halite, Halan, or either?
Van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium III uses "Halan".

EDIT: One more! Monastic orders were mentioned. I assume these would be pacifistic in nature, similar to the Pools of Peace (Eldath) order from Faerūn, and focus on traditional medicine, correct?
Sort of a... fat friar monk VS. Kung Fu master type monk.
The monastic orders would have nuns or "fat friar" monks who practice healing magic just as Halan witches and warlocks do...in fact many hospices have both witches/warlocks and Church clergy clerics of Hala together.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:10:37 AM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002