You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Outskirts - New Path  (Read 2038 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Outskirts - New Path
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
After talking some with one of the calibans from yesterdays attack, they pointed out how from a ooc point of view it was a bit annoying that there was basically no "safe" zone for a new/newish character of the outcast variety without basically running right past Radu and the middle of the outskirts where Garda likely are. Reaching a appropriate starting area for ones such type of char is already not that easy, without basically trapping you in the camp, till night or garda come to kill/chase you to the well.

He and I both came to the same idea, make a tiny edit to one of the tree lines (which realistically could easily be but down by those who are determined). To create a sort of alternative route to the well that gives new caliban/outcast types a more easy chance to get to the well without being forced down the main road.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Re: Outskirts - New Path
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »
I don't think its unfair, going outside during day time as a caliban is a risk that comes with playing a caliban. They're not hard to play for nothing. Playing an outcast is hard yes, but so is the life of an outcast in Barovia.

They way these people are treated in Barovia isn't fair and that is part of setting, making it easier for people who play them doesn't bring anything to the atmosphere of the setting, actually it would remove something important.

Caliban and those who play abnormal looking character won't have it easy, but it's part of the game and it's a challenge!
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
Yes, playing a none human should be harder and everyone shouldn't be on the exact same level. However potential IC reasons are lacking from your point. You only pointed out that OOCly it should be hard for them for the sake of it being hard, regardless if there is logical IC reasons as to why something was done.

Removing a few trees for easily get about makes logical sense for outcasts, specially when all that stands in your way are only 3-5 smallish trees. All of which probably easily cut down in a single night. Specially if its via someone of immense strength, such as a brute caliban. Allowing them to circumvent the main road, which makes no sense for them to even try traveling at day, and is still risky at night when there will likely be predators out.

Looking from a OOC perspective, this is the starting area we are talking about. Where you have absolutely zero choice in where you start, even if your a local. it is fair to label that lack of choice as apart of the challenge. Even if the point of outcast and caliban chars is to roleplay out struggle, there is still endless amounts of such given they cant enter the city, interact with npc, have various services denied to them that others can use. Making the initial starting area easier to reach the well wont cripple the level of struggle and challenge for caliban/outcasts. Specially when a perfectly logical reason can be given as to how it came to be. No one is asking for the well to be immediately attached to the well or asking for unrealistic changes.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »
I don't see why the map should be changed, I have played many freaks and manage to creep around and not get Radu's attention. just hug the trees.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:33:36 PM »
Characters that are Port based at character creation can request for a DM to set them off at Port for the start of their character's existence. I'm sure Caliban characters could request a beginning port to the Drain.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
Only reason I'd see this being useful is for new players who aren't familiar with POTM; however, would they think of using the shortcut or go through the more logical path?

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:02:27 PM »
Only reason I'd see this being useful is for new players who aren't familiar with POTM; however, would they think of using the shortcut or go through the more logical path?

Hard to say I think, since there has only ever been one path to follow. On the same note though most true outcast types that come with high OCR are not choices new players cN choose without dm help.

Characters that are Port based at character creation can request for a DM to set them off at Port for the start of their character's existence. I'm sure Caliban characters could request a beginning port to the Drain.

True, but dms are people to, they can't always be around at the time you need them.

I don't see why the map should be changed, I have played many freaks and manage to creep around and not get Radu's attention. just hug the trees.

Just because it's how it's always been doesn't mean there isn't a possible other way of doing things though.

C.H.A.R.L.I.E

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Keep up the good work Radu & co  :D

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:37:20 PM »
While I don't think its a bad idea after playing a lot of Caliban myself, geographically in that area I'm not sure how much sense it makes due to the waterfall etc. The only path I could see that would make sense I would argue is more than a few trees and at that point it may be worth making a new map there. Something that may have some value and be cool to address what you want though would be a secret entrance into the sewers from that map like the one in the docks (fortunately I feel like most people who haven't played a Caliban rogue don't know that one). While for metagaming reasons this wouldn't help a newcomer the very first time, I feel like there is definitely IC incentive for the drain to want this, and for it to be fun and practical. Just my two cents, I always love secret doors and tunnels and I think its a good place for it.