Author Topic: Pick pocket - too good?  (Read 16438 times)

booksarefun666

Re: Pick pocket - too good?
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »
I hardly play rogues, and have no intention to take up pickpocketing (especially now). That said, nothing discussed here is likely to affect me. I am slightly curious though, any regrets for being "that" guy?

Nope. I kind of had a feeling they'd take a sledgehammer to it.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »
Ninja looting has already been indirectly nerfed by the recent adjustments to loot spawns (and also an indirect result of the Time Stop rebalance)

How has ninjalooting been nerf with the recent nerf to timestop? You do everything you did before, except attacking people, which means only killing the boss of the area is harder, and considering you need to be lvl 17 or 18 at the minimum to get timestop, killing a hag shouldn't be that much of a trouble at this level. Could you provide an example where it actually hurt ninjalooting?

Invisibility Scrolls are used and purchased by low level characters to ninjaloot areas they could not otherwise survive, Syl. People are arguing that pick pocketing was a no risk high reward system and claimed that ninja looting is different because there is risk involved. While I can agree that there is indeed more risk, the ability to purchase am endless supply of invisibility Scrolls has significantly dropped the risk factor of ninja looting to almost negligible. I've had level four characters who have ninja looted and ended up with gear and gold far far far beyond my level, and the only reason I was able to accomplish that is because invisibility Scrolls can be purchased from a few locations.  The removal of invisibility Scrolls from merchants would limit who can ninjaloot significantly and at the very least make it more level appropriate. Let the drop from the loot tables like normal.

The point I'm making is that there's a number of people in this thread who condemned pick pocketing and at the same time justify ninjalooting claiming it's fine because there's risk involved. Those invisibility Scrolls reduce the risk by 50% as it takes away the spawns ability to spot you.

And if we are going for balance here, removing those Scrolls from sale is in my opinion one of the simplest most effective means to make ninja looting more level appropriate.

Sure, mages can still ninja loot but with the changes to time stop and whatnot it's riskier for them than a rogue casting invisibility.

Please to you too, how does the timestop change affect ninjalooting for mages? Have you ninjaloot something with timestop before and after the nerf?

I see a lot of assumption about ninjalooting with timestop and invisibility, but try ninjalooting something else than low level dungeons around Barovia if you actually know the risks of ninjalooting and find something good.

I know the risks. I'm not new here. And the risks aren't that risky. Invisibility Scrolls make it super easy. That's why I have like 5 rogues in my vault with ghoul shell under level 7. In fact I've basically got it down to a science that grabbing an invisibility scroll is one of the first things I do on a new character.

Nerfing pickpocket, in my opinion, is gonna have a dramatic effect on the player economy. The distribution of wealth is going to become even more in the favour of the ninja looting club. Based on my experiences in the past ten years playing on potm, the nerf to pickpcketing isn't going to lower the sale prices of items. The change to pickpocketing is only going to keep high level items in the hands of a very particular group of players. In other words, the change to pickpocketing only benefits PCs who are already very wealthy.

Keeping the player economy balanced is very important. That's all I'm concerned about. As of the Nerf to pickpocket, ninja looting is now THE way to make profit. Crafts, trading, pickpocketing, no other source of income compares even close to what ninja looting can do now. Suggesting that invisibility Scrolls not be sold at merchants anymore isn't a remotely perfect fix, but at the very least it will prolong the inevitable.

Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2016, 11:46:33 PM »
In the two years I've played here not a single one of my characters has pick pocketed once.  On every character but my first I've had 10k+ before level 5 simply from gathering and selling crafting resources.  I never ninja loot before level 10 and I've never had a gold issue.

I think the nerf to PP was a bit too heavy but I don't agree that it is as big of an impact to the server's well being as is being implied.

booksarefun666

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2016, 12:10:11 AM »
As someone that has a cleric with crafting skills (herbalism) and was going to get blacksmithing and woodworking before I slowed down on my playing, I can easily make some serious coinage spending a few hours making critical healing potions and those can sell up for 1k a bottle if you're patient enough to sell them for that. If you buy your herbs, the profit isn't nearly as obscene, but gathering your own herbs is just straight cash. Seriously, you (the reader) should give herbalism a try, it's real easy to make potions once you master it.

But even that had plenty of time sunk in before I got to the point of mastery I can crank out critical healings like it was nothing. Pick pocketing didn't have that in it's original form and while I'm not against the profit margin, it was fairly easy to go under the radar of the in-game authorities. Last time I'll mention it, but making it as lucrative as it once was in a highly populated area with people contesting over it  like the publique will create a lot more RP than just making the loot table as it is right now.

The thieving meta will constantly change, as gendarme will get smart enough to use see invisibility stuff to catch thieves running around in invisibility to shirk the downside of failing pickpocketing.

Crafters, or rather herbalists and veteran blacksmiths (the current jump from copper to steel right now is obscene cost-wise), will have the money alongside the ninjalooters, merchants, and the odd adventurer that actually finds ar'akir on max spawn (lol).

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:15:40 AM by booksarefun666 »

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2016, 01:13:19 AM »
You know, the easy fix to this is to make the NPCs that have higher level/more expensive loot available to Pickpocket have some ranks in spot.

Thus you have a higher risk of being caught (and gaining OCR) for the higher reward.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Ard

• Undead Slayer
  • Exploit theoretician
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2016, 01:45:21 AM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:26:11 PM by ㅤㅤㅤ »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2016, 07:22:30 AM »
You're saying that pickpocketing has no risks . I'll say that the pickpocket skill usage is on extremes.
 Have you ever tried to pickpocket hags ? Instead of the Blaustein one, the others will detect your 1st attempt like 99% of the tries, and it is impossible to "restealth" .
It's very hard if you hit some bad rolls.
You have to fastly run away of her sight (and not forgetting about hidden darklings assassins who can paralyze you, as an example) or you'll die.
Actually it would be nice to DECREASE the spot skill on some of the pickpocketable monsters.

As about npc's : vallaki noblemen are not worth the skill anymore (rings are 1-3gp), Port noblemen - didn't tested (RP reasons), Mist Camp and other vistanis are the same. ( 3 light cure potions). So it would be nice to increase their spot and add some slightly more valuable items. So the pickpocket skill won't feel useless.

Oooh picking the Hag's pockets.. I TOTALLY forgot about them!! :D Can't believe I forgot the Hags,

Also picking the Vistani pockets? man that's risky business lol

But yeah as I stated before if your thinking there is little risk in picking pockets you're not really uses the skill than, Go pick the pockets of hostile creatures.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero