Author Topic: Mink on steroids?  (Read 1501 times)

Sinful Mystic

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
Mink on steroids?
« on: November 22, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
It's been bugging me for awhile now that mink have been stealing my kills when a worg runs off at near dead but today they took it to another level. Two mink joined me on a charge against a pack of ghost stags and wolves. They should probably be toned down a little.
Celynna of Elevashe-inactive
Daly'rae of Zau'duis
Erika Tinescu-inactive

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Mink on steroids?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »
You've been truly unlucky. The odds of that happening should be very low. We will of course not tone down what is among the weakest spawns of the game, but I'll take a look at the mink's behavior script.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Sinful Mystic

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »
I do not mean make them weaker, but maybe less aggressive?
Daly'rae of Zau'duis
Erika Tinescu-inactive

Calliope

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
If they didn't rage, minks would have little to differentiate them from squirrels.

In the wild, minks are carnivores and predators. I doubt they would attack animals so much bigger than they are (such as a worg), but they will put up a worthy fight when something big attacks them.

As far as the AI, though, is if you toned down their aggression, then they would flee (and die, like deer do). Minks are far more likely to survive by making a predator pay too high a price to kill them, than by trying to escape.

For example:

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

The greater problem is that fleeing means whatever is fleeing can be attacked with impunity. A mink can kill a worg because the stupid worg just keeps running and giving the mink free shots at it. But that's a mechanic that AFAIK is widespread, if not universal. (My PCs have killed many a foe--e.g. bonecrusher ogres--that would have done better to stand and fight, rather than run cowering into a corner and let me coup de grace them with a bow.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:08:07 PM by Calliope »

Just the bang and the clatter as an angel hits the ground

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
I think this just falls into the area where we can only do as well as the game will allow. Sometimes bits of realism have to be given up for the what the game can actually do. When i made my mage, i nearly died right after arrival because i landed to close to a bat and it got hostiled and started attacking me. Being a brand new mage of little HP, i nearly died right away and was forced to literally flee for my life. . .from a bat to avoid death while it continued to pick HP points off me :3 While it may not be the most realistic act ever, it does make for a good story for your char to share around a camp fire for a good laugh. It was what i ended up doing with my mage. I just twisted the facts a little and made it into a tale shes told a few for amusement. The fact the mink have risen up to help you kill your foes and defend you, makes it seem your like your the Mink King or something :P

Sinful Mystic

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:06:39 AM »
I think this just falls into the area where we can only do as well as the game will allow. Sometimes bits of realism have to be given up for the what the game can actually do. When i made my mage, i nearly died right after arrival because i landed to close to a bat and it got hostiled and started attacking me. Being a brand new mage of little HP, i nearly died right away and was forced to literally flee for my life. . .from a bat to avoid death while it continued to pick HP points off me :3 While it may not be the most realistic act ever, it does make for a good story for your char to share around a camp fire for a good laugh. It was what i ended up doing with my mage. I just twisted the facts a little and made it into a tale shes told a few for amusement. The fact the mink have risen up to help you kill your foes and defend you, makes it seem your like your the Mink King or something :P

Yes, if it cannot be tweaked then it is just a minor drawback to a very good system. I did not really know how it worked .
Daly'rae of Zau'duis
Erika Tinescu-inactive