Author Topic: Dementlieu Feedback  (Read 176559 times)

julienchab

Re: Dementlieu Feedback
« Reply #850 on: October 16, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
I think the Broken Spire might need a few more light sources. The candles and such are giving off illumination inside, but its not much. At night, it's almost pitch black on the enter back side of the Spire's common room.

I'll add more light to both floors.

Yeah, I agree. It's a gorgeous village, and likely my favorite place in the module. It'd be nice to see it get some love and traffic.

Also, hauling ore from the nearby mines all the way to Port is nothing short of torture.

I'm adding woodworking and smithing stations there in my next update.

I was in the bazaar and thought that it would be cool if it was located in Edrigan instead, or something that kept people traveling there.

Edrigan is pretty far if you only want to buy some dyes.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #851 on: October 16, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree. It's a gorgeous village, and likely my favorite place in the module. It'd be nice to see it get some love and traffic.

Also, hauling ore from the nearby mines all the way to Port is nothing short of torture.

I'm adding woodworking and smithing stations there in my next update.

Thank you!

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #852 on: October 22, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
I've added more vegetation to exterior areas, the woodworking/Metalworking stations to Edrigan and more food items to various shops/restaurants in Dementlieu. I've also revamped the Faculty of Arcane Sciences a little bit in the last update, adding more content and making it more consistent with the Faculty of Medicine.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #853 on: November 05, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
One thing I think Dementlieu could really benefit from is more areas outside of Port-a-Lucine. There are two stretches of road that don't lead to transitions - In the area that leads north away from the crossroad that diverges toward the University, and in the area that has crossroads leading to the noble estates on the other side of the city.

It would be great if these roads could lead into the real Dementlieuse countryside, and offered some unique rural areas for RP and exploration that are less like the direct route rural areas that head from Port to Edrigan. Some wider areas to offer more spots for such, rather than the more or less straight, aisle-like route that the Avenue du Progress provides.

Some spots with countyside camps, or small, rustic roadside taverns, or perhaps more bandit lairs in such countryside areas would be a great addition, I think, and would offer some areas that cater more to other RP styles that the city environs of Port-a-Lucine.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #854 on: January 12, 2017, 07:45:51 AM »
Could the NPCs be toned down some with their chat spam? It makes it almost impossible to rp there, and because almost every NPC commends its just wall after wall of spam from them.

As well, iv always found it a little odd no one comments in the docks, but in the slums there as bad as the stuck up noble types. Feels like the docks/slums would be more the same in keeping their mouth shut to avoid further trouble.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #855 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
Could the NPCs be toned down some with their chat spam? It makes it almost impossible to rp there, and because almost every NPC commends its just wall after wall of spam from them.

As well, iv always found it a little odd no one comments in the docks, but in the slums there as bad as the stuck up noble types. Feels like the docks/slums would be more the same in keeping their mouth shut to avoid further trouble.

Which NPC are you talking about... I barely ever see any NPC talking there.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #856 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:22 PM »
If it's OCR related NPCs will yammer whether you're in Barovia or Dementlieu.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Song of Danta

« Reply #857 on: January 12, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
I think it's fine, since it effectively hounds anyone who shouldn't be there out.

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #858 on: January 12, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
It also disrupts other people's RP if someone with high OCR happens to be passing by or just spending time in the city for whatever reason.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #859 on: January 12, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
IMO a person with high OCR should tend to disrupt the RP of others.

For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #860 on: January 12, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »
If it's OCR related NPCs will yammer whether you're in Barovia or Dementlieu.

It also disrupts other people's RP if someone with high OCR happens to be passing by or just spending time in the city for whatever reason.

Good points all around. Outcasts really shouldn't be hanging around in those areas and should be using other means to get around the city, I.E the sewers. Otherwise its tantamount to ignoring NPCs. On the other hand, I will absolutely agree the the shear volume of chat spam that occurs when someone with high OCR does walk through the Publiqué is quite jarring and frankly immersion breaking.

Would it be possible to remove the OCR reaction script from say 3/5 of the NPCs in the Publiqué, or wherever it happens to be. Enough to cover to of the common walk ways to properly voice the reactions of NPCs in the setting while being less of an OOC contrivance. I'm not asking for the system to be removed, merely a bit muted in how it functions on a day to day basis.

IMO a person with high OCR should tend to disrupt the RP of others.

I think they should be looking to enhance the roleplay of others and contribute the setting by challenging it's norms, not just disruptive for the sake of being an annoyance. I think that's what you meant though originally though. The problem is when a game mechanic soley and suddenly starts dominating the chat log and halts all ongoing role play because 15+ NPC all voice the same reaction at the same time. If say that number was reduced to 2 or 3 within a given listen radius, the high OCR player knows they're not exactly welcome, the other players in the area know some freak is here, and the message is communicate in a way that can facilitate roleplay while not dominating it the ongoing narrative.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:25:11 PM by LeviShultz »

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #861 on: January 12, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »
You say it breaks immersion for a high OCR to just walk through the city, what if that character doesn't care about looks? They use it as a shield and their words can't hurt the person walking through because they just don't care what they think.

Like Tyrion.

THough I will agree the NPCs just going off is a bit much maybe slightly reduced how often, BUT... such also alerts people that someone that shouldn't be there is walking through and means it might be important to look and see who or what it is.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #862 on: January 12, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »
I think it's a bit silly that high OCR characters can effectively ignore the NPC reactions and carry on using services like the bank if no player guards are around to actually call them out on it.  The frequency that the NPCs spam the chat is a bit obnoxious, though.  If it's possible maybe a delay in their conversation firing could be implemented.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #863 on: January 12, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
I think it's a bit silly that high OCR characters can effectively ignore the NPC reactions and carry on using services like the bank if no player guards are around to actually call them out on it.  The frequency that the NPCs spam the chat is a bit obnoxious, though.  If it's possible maybe a delay in their conversation firing could be implemented.

True, maybe high OCR people shouldn't be allowed to use the bank in port?

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #864 on: January 12, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »
I think the point is made. If there is more discussion necesary maybe put it in a seperate topic...

Building out off the mists

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #865 on: January 12, 2017, 06:08:53 PM »
You say it breaks immersion for a high OCR to just walk through the city, what if that character doesn't care about looks? They use it as a shield and their words can't hurt the person walking through because they just don't care what they think.

I did not say that. What I said rather explicted was that 8+ NPCs spamming the same message and completely filling the chat log is immersion breaking, not the characters themselves.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #866 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:04 PM »
Just to clarify, you cant use the services if the npc spams at you, so the bank, the bounty guy etc. They wont deal with you. As the npcs are non hostile so you arnt ignoring them. All they comment on is how ugly you look to them basically. Or how your ruining the image of the city with your presence. Given that this is a non hostile issue where the NPCs are not issuing warning for you to leave before they attack, but purely RP flavor of NPCs showing off their snobbery it feels super excessive for the comments to fire every round on every NPC who can see you.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #867 on: February 04, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot But the hotel clerk in the governors hotel when you select ask for rooms and say guest suite or traveler's suite he first says "2 madam?" after that the traveler's suite text is fine but if you try to ask him for a room for the guest suite he will say "sorry madame, i'm afraid that the traveller's suites are all occupied at the moment."

I would do screen shots but mine aren't working still sadly.

Song of Danta

« Reply #868 on: February 05, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
The surgical tools sold by Conrad Frischknecht could use a weight reduction - 3lbs is a bit much for a scalpel!

Tools affected are: hacksaw, scalpel, amputation knife. A mallet would probably be about that heavy, so that one's fine.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #869 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »
The surgical tools sold by Conrad Frischknecht could use a weight reduction - 3lbs is a bit much for a scalpel!

Tools affected are: hacksaw, scalpel, amputation knife. A mallet would probably be about that heavy, so that one's fine.

I'll reduce the weight on those.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #870 on: February 08, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »
Woah 35 pages! New thread for Dementlieu feedback :

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=45347.0
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2