Author Topic: @dmlist  (Read 3886 times)

booksarefun666

@dmlist
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
Something I really liked on another server was to be able to pull up a list of DMs that were available by typing the following command: @dmllist

Naturally, DMs could opt out with another command and opt back in (say, @dmshow 1/0) of this as soon as they're taken and it removes the cursed phrase "is there a DM on?" in the channel.

What do you guys think?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: @dmlist
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 11:03:21 PM »
Works fine as is. When DMs have free time they usually say so.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 12:17:55 AM »
Not everyone is around when a dm announces such, and unless they routinely announce such every so often it can be easily missed. Whats books suggested doesn't detract from that, it just allows for that message of "Hey im around if anyone needs something" to be seen by any who log in after the fact. Players can also just shoot off messages into dm chat and hope for a response. But being able to see if there is a dm who has put out there "hey im around" makes things more simple. That way even if a dm is around and not free they are completely able to focus on other things rather then just ignoring the messages or having to pm every player saying "Sorry busy".

armybrat69

• Undead Slayer
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive !
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 02:37:39 AM »
It is not a bad idea, honestly. I see it as a DM extension to the player version of looking for RP option. (Of course we would not know their location, just if they were online or not).
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -Thomas Paine

"We are all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different levels." -Unknown

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 03:21:39 AM »
Sure, it's useful, but if I'm being completely honest, chances are I would never in my life turn it on.

I spend a LOT of time on the DM client, and I'm usually pretty much always doing something. If I'm not doing something, I'm taking a break for my head and eyes. This would be no more likely to get my attention for help than simply asking in the DM channel. The only thing I see coming from this is more people asking for personal RP attention, constantly, and I don't know if anyone can manage that any better than we already try to at the moment.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Such a command is not a good idea as it might encourage the minority of players who try to break rules to check first if DMs are watching them.

booksarefun666

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
Such a command is not a good idea as it might encourage the minority of players who try to break rules to check first if DMs are watching them.

That's a shame to hear. I don't think we should stifle ideas around "that guy" but as Bast said...

Sure, it's useful, but if I'm being completely honest, chances are I would never in my life turn it on.

I spend a LOT of time on the DM client, and I'm usually pretty much always doing something. If I'm not doing something, I'm taking a break for my head and eyes. This would be no more likely to get my attention for help than simply asking in the DM channel. The only thing I see coming from this is more people asking for personal RP attention, constantly, and I don't know if anyone can manage that any better than we already try to at the moment.

That's honestly understandable. I'm sure you guys would've thought of it earlier if the current system was too overbearing.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »

It certaintly will. I've seen this implemented on other roleplay servers, and there's little benefit to DM's or players.  Regardless, you're going to have to send a msg in the DM chat.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
Well, I had a thought the other day for players to register messages in a database of requests that persists until server reset, so a DM can just type a command and see a list of all pending requests and the character to which they pertain.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »
That's actually a really neat idea.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
If that goes anything like the generic requests thread, it would get cluttered and disorganized quickly, but likely worse.

armybrat69

• Undead Slayer
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive !
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 05:29:20 PM »
+1 to DM Arawn's idea.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -Thomas Paine

"We are all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different levels." -Unknown

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 06:25:14 PM »
If that goes anything like the generic requests thread, it would get cluttered and disorganized quickly, but likely worse.

Well I doubt it would get that bad if it cleared on reset.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »

Well I doubt it would get that bad if it cleared on reset.

That was the thought. Just an idea; no promises.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »
Well, I had a thought the other day for players to register messages in a database of requests that persists until server reset, so a DM can just type a command and see a list of all pending requests and the character to which they pertain.
:thumbup:

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »

There is that, and also I do not see the utility of making a replica of the Generic request thread IG. I think it's better to keep it all in one place to avoid confusion as to what type of request goes where, what is acceptable IG or not, etc...
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »
:thumbup:

Dank.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 11:20:27 PM »
[There are ways to find out if a DM is online.] -Arawn

This both works to dispell the notion that such a command is needed, whilst simultaneously dispelling the notion that the command would make any difference to a player who breaks the rules. It's also hard-coded into the system, so there's no way for a server, even one running a NWNX plugin, to prevent it from completing the check for the player. The only answer at that point would be for DM's to have super-secret observation GSID's and Avatars that they never made publicly known in order to monitor. This, however would disrupt the ability of a DM to properly perform his job greatly appreciated community volunteer service as many DM's keep useful assets in their Avatar's inventories. As well, the moment they make any communications from that GSID or Avatar, they are compromised.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:35:27 PM by Arawn »