You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Timestop nerf  (Read 14631 times)

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
Re: Timestop nerf
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 11:29:17 PM »
Edit: Screw it. What's the point.

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2016, 11:33:54 PM »
How is Timestop OP?

My problem with Timestop is that it creates scenarios that can pretty much play only one way.

Assuming... Assuming...  Assuming... assuming... presumably...

Lots of assumptions and presumptions in your argument.

Edit: Okay, sorry for being bitchy... Trying to think of something constructive. See, my problem with making spells more in line with the PnP counterpart is the fact that so much spell utility is lost from the translation of a tabletop game to a realtime video game. There are a lot of creative ways to deploy a spell in tabletop roleplaying (DM willing) that are simply not possible in a game like this (unless a DM is supervising I suppose). I suspect that is partly why the Bioware interpretation of this spell is more offensive, we already had good spells to use for defense instead. With the proposed changes, I don't see the point. If you want to load up on cloud spells to assassinate a high level monster, or a PC, there is a good chance you will be spent afterward. That doesn't seem very practical to me.

In terms of defense, there isn't much reason to use it instead of Greater Sanctuary other than the fact you could buff up with some spells instead of fleeing.

Maybe this is a crazy idea, I'm sure this has been suggested and dismissed before... What if the timestop spell was altered to include players near the caster so they could prepare as well? Then it becomes an anti-ambush type of spell where everyone gets the chance to buff up. Would that be considered too powerful (or difficult to script)? I think the PnP version of this spell is pretty weak. Let's make it a spell that benefits the party and not just the mage. Rogues could use the time to setup some traps. Fighters and Archers could get into position and use any potions they need. Clerics could use whatever short-term spells they want and prepare for the worst, maybe even buy them some extra time to cross the map and save someone's life, etc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 12:22:10 AM by Indigocell »

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
I don't feel bad, compared to PnP casters still have one big advantage in NWN that doesn't exist in 3.5e, which is the ability to use haste to cast two spells per round, which is significant, which means casting more spells during your Timestop, even if not as intricate.

greeneggs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:09 AM »
I've reframed from writing in this thread because time stop is very much OP and I will probably never think it any other way.  My char once was sitting down rping when timestopped erupted, magic missile and death.  Timestopp mechanically was very op as it was.  Not only was this done to me ... But this was done to me three times on seperate occasions.   I'm completely glad this was changed because it is never fun nor productive to rp in any way time stop gank.  I know that there are fun spells to hold people in place if you really want like bigsbys hands or whatever or grease.  So this 'nerf' was warranted and needed.  Thank you whoever decided this.

If you think about it, able to control the very fabric of time and stop it at all in the rp sense is pretty amazing in and of itself.  Have fun with it.  Pour hot coffee on someone's head, steal a kiss. 

Either way, hope my feedback is helpful

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2016, 10:33:58 AM »
How is Timestop OP?

My problem with Timestop is that it creates scenarios that can pretty much play only one way.

Assuming... Assuming...  Assuming... assuming... presumably...

Lots of assumptions and presumptions in your argument.

Edit: Okay, sorry for being bitchy... Trying to think of something constructive. See, my problem with making spells more in line with the PnP counterpart is the fact that so much spell utility is lost from the translation of a tabletop game to a realtime video game. There are a lot of creative ways to deploy a spell in tabletop roleplaying (DM willing) that are simply not possible in a game like this (unless a DM is supervising I suppose). I suspect that is partly why the Bioware interpretation of this spell is more offensive, we already had good spells to use for defense instead. With the proposed changes, I don't see the point. If you want to load up on cloud spells to assassinate a high level monster, or a PC, there is a good chance you will be spent afterward. That doesn't seem very practical to me.

In terms of defense, there isn't much reason to use it instead of Greater Sanctuary other than the fact you could buff up with some spells instead of fleeing.

Maybe this is a crazy idea, I'm sure this has been suggested and dismissed before... What if the timestop spell was altered to include players near the caster so they could prepare as well? Then it becomes an anti-ambush type of spell where everyone gets the chance to buff up. Would that be considered too powerful (or difficult to script)? I think the PnP version of this spell is pretty weak. Let's make it a spell that benefits the party and not just the mage. Rogues could use the time to setup some traps. Fighters and Archers could get into position and use any potions they need. Clerics could use whatever short-term spells they want and prepare for the worst, maybe even buy them some extra time to cross the map and save someone's life, etc.

I can see very creative ways of using the new Time Stop as well, I don't think it will be weak at all. Ability to refresh defensive spells on your tank after he gets dispelled is very strong, so is being able to ward someone in case of a PvE or PvP ambush. Not to mention you can set up spells like Incendiary Cloud and Delayed Blast Fireball, or traps, that will cut off retreats or advances quite effectively. I don't think at all this change makes this spell useless, I think it is still one of the stronger, if not the strongest, spells in the game.

As for the comments about assumptions, most of my assumptions were regarding character level, which is very consistent, and the target making all her saves, which doesn't change the situation but only demonstrates the weakest the spell combination can get, to demonstrate how strong the combination is even when the odds are against it, not the other way around. I don't see how that takes away from the viability of the argument.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
When a rouge uses a Time Stop scroll

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2016, 06:22:19 AM »
Let's keep on topic please. This is not the tavern.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
Think we've about exhausted the topic here. Closing this thread for now.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.