You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 102309 times)

FunkyMonkey

• New to the Mists
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2021, 01:25:54 AM »
I tried to figure out how to make the items and cost them etc but I'm not tech savey enough, unless someone wants to explain it to me like I am a infant and can link me the haks. This is far as I got, scrap it if this serves no purpose

Had some idea's to spruce up the Har'akir Loot Table.

Item Name: Tooth of Sobek
Item type: Dagger
Description: This malevolent looking dagger's edges are jagged and worn through ritual use, tarnished black with a green sheen.
Statistics:
1d4 acid dmg
1d8 Mass crit

Item Name: Scepter of Thoth
Item type: Torch
Description: This Ankh is embued with the powers and virtue's that the Akiri Deity Thoth stands for.
Statistics:
+3 lore
+3 spellcraft
-3 Discipline

Item Name: Staff of Thoth
Item type: Staff
Description: In honour of Thoth this staff carries the powers most attributed to the Akiri God.
Statistics:
+5 spellcraft
+5 lore
Only usable: Wizards/Sorcerers

Item Name: Mantle of Thoth
Description: The bearer of this cloak can overc
Item type: Cloak
Statistics:
+2 vs spells

Item Name: Reaper of the living
Item type: Scythe
Description: This daunting scythe seems to latch onto the wielder as well as that what it touches. Grain, flesh and even the mind of the wielder wilt in it's pressence.
Statistics:
+3 Vamp Regen
1d4 Negative Energy
-2 Fortitude
Only usable by: Evil

Item Name: Wrappings of Anubis
Item type: Consumable
Description: These linen are used in ceremony to bind the dead before they are set to rest. The linen are soaked and enchantments are uttered.  It is said that they can aid those most devoted, in resurrecting the fallen and calling their souls back to the realm of the living.
Statistics:
Single use Ressurection
Only usable: Cleric/Voodan (Dunno if there's a way to jack the UMD requirement for it, if so make it DC: 50 for Rogue's/Bards)

Item Name: Marauders Cape
Description: Imbued with magic to aid those who explore, travel or wander the world. A gift from one rover to the many.
Statistics:
20 Use each, Bears endurance/Expeditious Retreat

Item Name: Tomb Raiders Boots
Item type: Boots
Description: A thief met his untimely demise, bloodied these boots are still in working order. Though dead man's shoe's are not famed for the fortune they bring.
Statistics:
+3 Disable Trap
+3 Open Lock
-5 vs Traps
Only usable: Rogue/Ranger/Crypt Raider

Item Name: Arrow of Sobek
Item type: Arrow
Description:
On hit Poison: Dc 18 (Con)

Item Name: Arrow of the Jackal:
Description: Like the name barers hunting method, this arrow leaves it's prey bleeding, weakening it till the predator can set upon the unfortunate creature.
On hit Wounding: Dc 18

Item Name: Akiri Trappers Boots
Description: Formerly belonging to the crafty trappers who lay snares and pitfalls for those brazen enough to tread the sacred tombs of Har'Akir.
Statistics:
+5 Set Trap
-5 vs Traps
Only usable: Rogue/Ranger

Item Name: Head Band of the Guardian
Item type: Helmet
Description: This fearsome looking helmet adorns mighty warriors who were stirred from the dead to guard hallowed grounds.
Statistics:
+2 Fortitude
+5 Antagonize
-5 Concenration
-2 Will

Dardonas

« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2021, 01:56:31 AM »
Item Name: Tooth of Sobek
Item type: Dagger
Description: This malevolent looking dagger's edges are jagged and worn through ritual use, tarnished black with a green sheen.
Statistics:
1d4 acid dmg
1d8 Mass crit

I like it, it gives more incentive for dagger specialization.

Item Name: Scepter of Thoth
Item type: Torch
Description: This Ankh is embued with the powers and virtue's that the Akiri Deity Thoth stands for.
Statistics:
+3 lore
+3 spellcraft
-3 Discipline

I'd put a restriction on Hexblade, Sorc, and Wizard only for it.

Item Name: Staff of Thoth
Item type: Staff
Description: In honour of Thoth this staff carries the powers most attributed to the Akiri God.
Statistics:
+5 spellcraft
+5 lore

I like staves.  I'd also add Hexblade to the list of users for it.

Statistics:
+2 vs spells

I'd Hexblade as well.  Though I'm a bit iffy because it might be a bit too strong coupled with similar existing items.

Item Name: Reaper of the living
Item type: Scythe
Description: This daunting scythe seems to latch onto the wielder as well as that what it touches. Grain, flesh and even the mind of the wielder wilt in it's pressence.
Statistics:
+3 Vamp Regen
1d4 Negative Energy
-2 Fortitude
Only usable by: Evil

I'm very fond of more scythes and I think this would be a good option for one.

Description: These linen are used in ceremony to bind the dead before they are set to rest. The linen are soaked and enchantments are uttered.  It is said that they can aid those most devoted, in resurrecting the fallen and calling their souls back to the realm of the living.
Statistics:
Single use Ressurection
Only usable: Cleric/Voodan (Dunno if there's a way to jack the UMD requirement for it, if so make it DC: 50 for Rogue's/Bards)

I don't see why not, though the UMD requirement might be a bit much. 

Item Name: Marauders Cape
Description: Imbued with magic to aid those who explore, travel or wander the world. A gift from one rover to the many.
Statistics:
20 Use each, Bears endurance/Expeditious Retreat

There are already a ton of items like these and I think they'd end up as bloat to the tables.

Item Name: Tomb Raiders Boots
Description: A thief met his untimely demise, bloodied these boots are still in working order. Though dead man's shoe's are not famed for the fortune they bring.
Statistics:
+3 Disable Trap
+3 Open Lock
-5 vs Traps
Only usable: Rogue/Ranger/Crypt Raider

I think this is going to just pump up and exacerbate ninjalooting.  I'm not against it, but perhaps making it Crypt Raider only would be a cooler idea.  That PrC could use some item love.

Item Name: Arrow of Sobek
Description:
On hit Poison: Dc 18 (Con)

I don't have any strong opinions either way, though I think these will just end up as more arrow bloat that people end up giving to the Vistani.

Item Name: Arrow of the Jackal:
Description: Like the name barers hunting method, this arrow leaves it's prey bleeding, weakening it till the predator can set upon the unfortunate creature.
On hit Wounding: Dc 18

It seems like a cool item, but it'll be very niche with the amount of DR in the game by the time you get to Thoth as well as just end up like the above as more arrow bloat sold to the Vistani.

Item Name: Akiri Trappers Boots
Description: Formerly belonging to the crafty trappers who lay snares and pitfalls for those brazen enough to tread the sacred tombs of Har'Akir.
Statistics:
+5 Set Trap
-5 vs Traps
Only usable: Rogue/Ranger

Set trap is a fun skill.  I'd give these to Crypt Raiders, or perhaps make them Crypt Raider only, as well if we're showing them love with the above item.

Item Name: Head Band of the Guardian
Item type: Helmet
Description: This fearsome looking helmet adorns mighty warriors who were stirred from the dead to guard hallowed grounds.
Statistics:
+2 Fortitude
+5 Antagonize
-5 Concenration
-2 Will

This is pretty powerful in its own right, but I think it could be cool to see on the tables given I feel there isn't too many options for martial classes that isn't just a straight enchanted helmet.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2021, 11:09:57 PM »

Statistics:
+2 vs spells

This is too strong. That I know of, there is no cloak that improves a character’s saving throws. This bonus would work better as being a specific saving throw (will, reflex, or fort). The +2 could even be reduced to +1.

Statistics:
Single use Ressurection

Why not just make the requirement, alignment: evil. Wrappings of osiris already do what this item does, so with the alignment restriction it could be a slightly worse version of that. Also raise dead, no resurrection as that would radically alter one aspect of the game; if someone gets badly impaired they are out of the adventure unless there is a priest along with a lot of diamonds.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:52:03 AM by tylernwn »

Dardonas

« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2021, 09:34:33 PM »

Statistics:
+2 vs spells

This is too strong. That I know of, there is no cloak that improves a character’s saving throws. This bonus would work better as being a specific saving throw (will, reflex, or fort). The +2 could even be reduced to +1.

Statistics:
Single use Ressurection

Why not just make the requirement, alignment: evil. Wrappings of osiris already do what this item does, so with the alignment restriction it could be a slightly worse version of that. Also raise dead, no resurrection as that would radically alter one aspect of the game; if someone gets badly impaired they are out of the adventure unless there is a priest along with a lot of diamonds.

Disagree on the part that the mantle should give a bonus to a specific saving throw.  Spell save saving throws are much different and more niche.  Being used by only casters/potentially hexblade limits it greatly.  Rogues/Bards would likely not use it in place of the +5 parry cloak, and if they did use it with UMD they'd be trading off one defense for another.  It would be a healthy item as is and potentially for a Hexblade.

As for the cloth, I don't see why a resurrection item is a big deal.  Especially if it is a rare drop and limited as is.

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2021, 01:57:47 AM »

Statistics:
+2 vs spells

Disagree on the part that the mantle should give a bonus to a specific saving throw. Spell save saving throws are much different and more niche.  Being used by only casters/potentially hexblade limits it greatly.

I concur with tylernwn and the exact logic provided.

Saves vs. Spells are extremely powerful, second only to Universal Saves.
You are claiming with certainty that casters are a limited portion of threats that will make a character roll a save, but in my opinion, and considering which saves will only inconvenience you and which saves will outright disable/kill you, they are the largest portion of saving throws to watch out for. The only real threat that isn't affected by Saves vs Spells are traps and a certain portion of conjuration spells.
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2021, 02:01:27 AM »
Given the weakness of rogue saves and the +6 bonus cap on parry I would take saves versus spells on a cloak in a heartbeat. In fact, it's the primary thing I look for on gear for such classes and will even give up unisaves if it means a larger save versus spells.

Because the fact is only spells and traps tend to get DCs high enough to be a real threat. I appreciate the dev philosophy of adding plenty of save bonuses, too, because save or die spells also tend to be the most oppressive mechanics in pvp if you haven't got access to gear to protect you from them. Mundanes simply can't maintain immunities from buffs.

Dardonas

« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »
I concur with tylernwn and the exact logic provided.

Saves vs. Spells are extremely powerful, second only to Universal Saves.
You are claiming with certainty that casters are a limited portion of threats that will make a character roll a save, but in my opinion, and considering which saves will only inconvenience you and which saves will outright disable/kill you, they are the largest portion of saving throws to watch out for. The only real threat that isn't affected by Saves vs Spells are traps and a certain portion of conjuration spells.

Given the weakness of rogue saves and the +6 bonus cap on parry I would take saves versus spells on a cloak in a heartbeat. In fact, it's the primary thing I look for on gear for such classes and will even give up unisaves if it means a larger save versus spells.

Because the fact is only spells and traps tend to get DCs high enough to be a real threat. I appreciate the dev philosophy of adding plenty of save bonuses, too, because save or die spells also tend to be the most oppressive mechanics in pvp if you haven't got access to gear to protect you from them. Mundanes simply can't maintain immunities from buffs.

So, if I'm understanding the argument correctly there is no issue with adding more Spell Save items like I originally argued because the vast majority of issues stem from a dominance of Save or Die effects?  In a PvE setting, you have to choose less AC.  In a PvP setting, it takes away mage dominance, to a degree (ignoring that spells like IGMS exist).  The item should be restricted to Hexblade/Sorc/Wizard (in my opinion).  Hexblades are meant to be anti-casters, it's fine IMO for them.  Mages/Sorcs having saves versus spells also seems fine, since, you know, spells are their thing.  Giving it to Assassins, Bards or Rogues via UMD also seems just fine too IMO, as it puts them in the dilemma above and helps them to survive.  Consider that a assassin/rogue/bard won't be using Stealth gear, AC gear, or otherwise in that slot while wearing it, I think it's safe to say that spell saves are fine for either scenario.

In a PvE setting it's an itemization choice that makes players choose AC for spell save.  In a PvP setting, it's an item that makes players less vulnerable to being one-shot by Save or Die spells.  Seems like a healthy choice to me.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »

Saves should be versus a specific saving throw. You cite insta kill mechanics as being oppressive, but characters running around with unbeatable saves is also oppressive. Items should have one kind of save only. If you are concerned about insta kills then have it be a fort save, but no save vs spell, or universal saves.

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
[...] characters running around with unbeatable saves is also oppressive. Items should have one kind of save only. If you are concerned about insta kills then have it be a fort save, but no save vs spell, or universal saves.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Wizards, Druids and Clerics still have excellent raw damage options against people with high saves; options that usually mean a fight will last three or four spells long, which is just to say that the fight is not one-sided.

Save or die/disable on the other hand are outright unfun for the defending party. They are relics of a system that wasn't created with high stakes PvP in mind and while disabling them as an option isn't super appealing at first glance because it takes options away from those classes, it is still the ideal way to deal with the conundrum in my opinion.
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2021, 10:49:00 AM »
With the introduction of Warmage, we'll need some Warmage gear akin to other caster class items (so bonus spell slots, etc.).

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2021, 11:00:15 AM »
Would it be easier to simply add the use limitation to current arcane equipment, and maybe just add a couple of rings from Cormyr with a War Wizard background using the silver/gold dragon ring designs?

Much of the current equipment, staffs of fury, robes of dragonlance'ari etc would fit the Warmage I think.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »
Would it be easier to simply add the use limitation to current arcane equipment, and maybe just add a couple of rings from Cormyr with a War Wizard background using the silver/gold dragon ring designs?

Much of the current equipment, staffs of fury, robes of dragonlance'ari etc would fit the War Mage I think.

Those already were adapted to support warmages, but I'm thinking of bonus feats (ie: Extra Edge) and spell slots (something like what sorcerers get).

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2021, 08:09:16 PM »
Item Name: Lesser Ring of the Red Warmage
Spoiler: show
Type: Ring
Appearance: iit_ring_130

Description: In the Red Academy of Hazlan, these rings were distributed by the Zulkir of Evocation themself to select apprentices who showed promises as evokers.  These apprentices were among the first warmages instituted under Lord Hazlik's Red Academy and were given these rings to push their capabilities at great peril to themselves.  It is no surprise that these rings would often be found on their corpses, charred by their own spells.

Statistics:
Bonus Feat: Automatic Quicken Spell I
Damage Vulnerability: Fire 10% Damage Vulnerability
Decreased Saving Throws: Specific: Reflex -1
Material Darksteel
Material Gem, Aquamarine
Use Limitation: Class: Warmage

Cost: 962

Item Name: Greater Ring of the Red Warmage
Appearance: iit_ring_174

Description: Dissatisfied with the previous experiment of the Zulkir of Evocation, Lord Hazlik specifically tasked his the Department of Evocation with a simple task: an artifact which made the sect of warmages independent of his other red wizards' aide.  The result were these rings, prized for their ability to put down Rashemi insurrections with mechanical efficiency.  Though, the volatility of such artifacts made their wielders far more vulnerable to their own magic.

Within the military sciences department in Ramulai's Red Academy, it is said that those who wear these rings are cursed to die by their own magic within a year of putting it on.

Statistics:
Bonus Feat: Automatic Quicken Spell II
Damage Vulnerability: Fire 25% Damage Vulnerability
Decreased Saving Throws: Specific: Reflex -2
Material Arcane Steel
Material Gem, Blue Diamond
Quality Masterwork

Cost: 3848

Name: Mask of the Red Evoker

Type: Helmet
Appearance:

Description: These cowls are granted to graduate warmages in the Red Academy of Hazlan upon graduation.  It is rumored that a hazing ceremony required for a warmage to graduate involves shadowing a fully fledged warmage into a camps of Rashemi, rebel or not.  These cowls, originally white, are then blooded like the would-be warmage that would don it.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 3
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 4
Decreased Skill Modifier: Concentration -5
Material Silk
Material Wood, Ash
Skill Bonus: Spellcraft +3
Use Limitation: Alignment Group: Evil
Use Limitation: Specific Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Cost: 14943 (suggested 4943, though I could not edit the field)

Name: Staff of the Apprentice Warmage
Type: Magic Staff
Appearance:

Description: These staves are common training implements distributed to novice warmages under the jurisdiction of the Radiant Tower.  With the recent wars Falknovia has endured, these staves allow for even beginner warmages to perform better on the battlefield.  To the Ministry of the Arcane, it was more efficient to put one of these staves in an unstudied warmage's hands and let them kill dozens of enemies than to actually train them to control their power.  It is not unheard of for these devices to have passed through the hands dozens of fallen Falkovnian warmages only to be passed on to another.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 1
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 2
Decreased Skill Modifier: Concentration -2

Cost: 9095 (I couldn't edit the price, but I'd say it'd be better as a low tier drop, maybe 2095?)

Name: Staff of the Master Warmage
Appearance:

Description: This staff is believed to have once come from one of the first master warmages trained in the Radiant Tower.  So great was her power that she would often cut corners to achieve more, and this conduit being no different with the drain it places on one's mind.  Though her results were enough to warrant the Ministry of the Arcane training more warmages, those that would wield devices like these reveal why there is skepticism in training such narrow-minded arcanists.  It is said that Falkovnian warmages have slain two of their own allies for every three enemies they have felled.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 6
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 7
Decreased Skill Modifier: Concentration -6
Decreased Skill Modifier: Spellcraft -3
Quality Masterwork

Cost: 27838 (I don't know the specifics for costs, but 27k seems a bit much though I think this should be a high tier drop for warmages.)

First off, thanks for the suggestions! The first two items are fine and are within reason. The other three however are going to need some work. Their item cost is well outside of the acceptable range. We use cost as an indicator of how "powerful" and item can be. Anything over 8,000 plus the cost of the base item is too much. Not only is it going to be more powerful than we'd like, it will also never spawn with how our treasure and loot system works. Take another look at the "Item balance and target prices" portion of the initial directions and fiddle with the properties a bit more. I'm sure you can find something that will work!

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2021, 05:16:19 AM »
Automatic Quicken spell 2 seems like it shouldn't be on any item. Being able to auto quicken spells of 1st to 6th level is very powerful. For balance reasons I would personally prefer if Warmages had to have a source of Haste to cast 2 spells per round for spells of 4th lvl and higher, like wizard and sorcerer.

I know they don't get Haste. They are also not the only caster that does not have Haste in their kit and are still very powerful.
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2021, 06:12:25 AM »
Automatic Quicken spell 2 seems like it shouldn't be on any item. Being able to auto quicken spells of 1st to 6th level is very powerful. For balance reasons I would personally prefer if Warmages had to have a source of Haste to cast 2 spells per round for spells of 4th lvl and higher, like wizard and sorcerer.

I know they don't get Haste. They are also not the only caster that does not have Haste in their kit and are still very powerful.

My greatest concern about that ring is actually that bards or spellcasting rogue multiclasses will be able to UMD it, allowing them to autoquicken virtually all of their spells... with a ring.

I'd probably go with an amulet for the sake of making it a more precious slot, but the UMD concern would remain.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Kaospyri

• Outlander
  • Oui are Legion
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2021, 11:31:27 AM »

My greatest concern about that ring is actually that bards or spellcasting rogue multiclasses will be able to UMD it, allowing them to autoquicken virtually all of their spells... with a ring.

I'd probably go with an amulet for the sake of making it a more precious slot, but the UMD concern would remain.

Better yet make it medium/heavy armor, so it's worthless to anyone who would UMD it for it's effects and only available to higher level warmages.
Juno Ilmorres || Lupe Savau || Malcolm Valeis

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »

Better yet make it medium/heavy armor, so it's worthless to anyone who would UMD it for it's effects and only available to higher level warmages.

Ohh, I like it! It definitely tightens the amount of UMDable uses for it, and does it in an even more precious slot than I'd considered. (No adamantine armor for you!)

... It doesn't entirely remove UMD from the equation, though. Medium armor would be accessible to any UMDing multiclass of Hexblade and Cleric, or possibly even Druid if it weren't a metal armor. (Which, in all fairness, it probably would be.) UMD Voodans would also be capable of burning a feat on medium armor proficiency. On the other hand, heavy armor - while eliminating Hexblades and increasing the cost for Voodans - would be useless to the vast majority of warmages at no added inconvenience to Clerics.

(On another note, I am now wondering how a Hexblade or Ranger would look with all their spells autoquickened...)
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Kaospyri

• Outlander
  • Oui are Legion
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »

Ohh, I like it! It definitely tightens the amount of UMDable uses for it, and does it in an even more precious slot than I'd considered. (No adamantine armor for you!)

... It doesn't entirely remove UMD from the equation, though. Medium armor would be accessible to any UMDing multiclass of Hexblade and Cleric, or possibly even Druid if it weren't a metal armor. (Which, in all fairness, it probably would be.) UMD Voodans would also be capable of burning a feat on medium armor proficiency. On the other hand, heavy armor - while eliminating Hexblades and increasing the cost for Voodans - would be useless to the vast majority of warmages at no added inconvenience to Clerics.

(On another note, I am now wondering how a Hexblade or Ranger would look with all their spells autoquickened...)

What if it had a malus that made it worse for actually wearing it in melee, despite being an armored mage a warmage still isn't really supposed to be getting into melee anyways. Something like a dexterity penalty (I imagine most warmages will have more dex than needed for heavy armor by the time they'd have it) or just a -1 or -2 AC armor bonus in place of the reflex malus and/or damage vulnerability.
Juno Ilmorres || Lupe Savau || Malcolm Valeis

Dardonas

« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »
Tweaked some of the existing items to have a more reasonable cost.  I left the rings up for reference, but I made a version of the same stats into a Chain Shirt with acid and fire vulnerability.  That should prevent it from being UMD'd by Bards or Wizard/Rogue multiclasses.  If some Hexblade/Bard or Hexblade/Rogue gets a hold of it, have at it, but they'll have a better time with haste given the vulnerabilities and the short ranges of any non-buff spell.

The thing about Automatic Quicken Spell is that it isn't haste.  It has clear drawbacks from haste.  The function is to give Warmages some degree of autonomy in groups or if they don't have access to a pocket mage. 

Firstly, automatic quicken spell doesn't give you increased movement.  Secondly, it doesn't work for metamagic spells you cast (so a max missile storm doesn't get hasted, neither does an extended wall of fire). 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:16:48 PM by Dardonas »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2021, 10:35:59 AM »
Item Name: Lesser Ring of the Red Warmage
Appearance: iit_ring_130

Description: In the Red Academy of Hazlan, these rings were distributed by the Zulkir of Evocation themself to select apprentices who showed promises as evokers.  These apprentices were among the first warmages instituted under Lord Hazlik's Red Academy and were given these rings to push their capabilities at great peril to themselves.  It is no surprise that these rings would often be found on their corpses, charred by their own spells.

Statistics:
Damage Vulnerability: Fire 10% Damage Vulnerability
Material Darksteel
Material Gem, Aquamarine

Cost: 962

Item Name: Greater Ring of the Red Warmage
Appearance: iit_ring_174

Description: Dissatisfied with the previous experiment of the Zulkir of Evocation, Lord Hazlik specifically tasked his the Department of Evocation with a simple task: an artifact which made the sect of warmages independent of his other red wizards' aide.  The result were these rings, prized for their ability to put down Rashemi insurrections with mechanical efficiency.  Though, the volatility of such artifacts made their wielders far more vulnerable to their own magic.

Within the military sciences department in Ramulai's Red Academy, it is said that those who wear these rings are cursed to die by their own magic within a year of putting it on.

Statistics:
Bonus Feat: Automatic Quicken Spell II
Damage Vulnerability: Fire 25% Damage Vulnerability
Material Arcane Steel
Material Gem, Blue Diamond
Quality Masterwork

Cost: 3848

Name: Mask of the Red Evoker

Type: Helmet
Appearance:

Description: These cowls are granted to graduate warmages in the Red Academy of Hazlan upon graduation.  It is rumored that a hazing ceremony required for a warmage to graduate involves shadowing a fully fledged warmage into a camps of Rashemi, rebel or not.  These cowls, originally white, are then blooded like the would-be warmage that would don it.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 3
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 4
Decreased Skill Modifier: Concentration -5
Material Silk
Material Wood, Ash
Skill Bonus: Spellcraft +3
Use Limitation: Alignment Group: Evil
Use Limitation: Specific Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Cost: 14943 (suggested 4943, though I could not edit the field)

Name: Staff of the Apprentice Warmage
Appearance:

Description: These staves are common training implements distributed to novice warmages under the jurisdiction of the Radiant Tower.  With the recent wars Falknovia has endured, these staves allow for even beginner warmages to perform better on the battlefield.  To the Ministry of the Arcane, it was more efficient to put one of these staves in an unstudied warmage's hands and let them kill dozens of enemies than to actually train them to control their power.  It is not unheard of for these devices to have passed through the hands dozens of fallen Falkovnian warmages only to be passed on to another.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier: Concentration -2

Cost: 9095 (I couldn't edit the price, but I'd say it'd be better as a low tier drop, maybe 2095?)

Name: Staff of the Master Warmage
Appearance:

Description: This staff is believed to have once come from one of the first master warmages trained in the Radiant Tower.  So great was her power that she would often cut corners to achieve more, and this conduit being no different with the drain it places on one's mind.  Though her results were enough to warrant the Ministry of the Arcane training more warmages, those that would wield devices like these reveal why there is skepticism in training such narrow-minded arcanists.  It is said that Falkovnian warmages have slain two of their own allies for every three enemies they have felled.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 6
Bonus Spell Slot of Level: Warmage Level 7
Decreased Skill Modifier: Concentration -6
Decreased Skill Modifier: Spellcraft -3
Quality Masterwork

Cost: 27838 (I don't know the specifics for costs, but 27k seems a bit much though I think this should be a high tier drop for warmages.)

First off, thanks for the suggestions! The first two items are fine and are within reason. The other three however are going to need some work. Their item cost is well outside of the acceptable range. We use cost as an indicator of how "powerful" and item can be. Anything over 8,000 plus the cost of the base item is too much. Not only is it going to be more powerful than we'd like, it will also never spawn with how our treasure and loot system works. Take another look at the "Item balance and target prices" portion of the initial directions and fiddle with the properties a bit more. I'm sure you can find something that will work!

I know this will sound like a downer, but in my opinion there should be no items that give warmages bonus spell slots. They already have a lot of spells to start with, and each over their spells is worth about x2 the damage value of a the same spell cast by another class. So I think that this is a property that should be changed to something else on all the items that it appears on.

Also based on the pattern of item requirements for arcane gear in the past, I think most new items should be available to hexblade/wizard/sorcerer/warmage. With the exception of maybe the occasional ring or necklace.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:41:14 AM by tylernwn »

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2021, 02:14:54 PM »
Item Name: Ring of Constriction
Item Type: Ring

Description: Originally forged and employed by the Battleragers of Mithral Hall, the Ring of Constriction is of great use to the frenzied warrior. These magical rings detect an increased pulse in the finger of their wielders, and constrict tighter around the appendage as danger and risk loom larger. The constriction aids in the fury of these Battleragers, though it also reduces blood flow, including the flow of blood to the brain.

Statistics:
Bonus Feat: Toughness
Bonus Feat: Extra Rage
Decreased Ability Score (-2 Intelligence)
Class Limitation: Barbarian
Material: Iron

Appearance: iit_ring_012
Total Item Cost: I don’t have access to these specific bonus feats on my toolset, but I presume based on the cost adjustment of other feats that it would come in right around 8,000.

Notes: There isn’t a lot of high-end Barbarian gear on the server, at least that I have seen. This ring is intended to be similar in function, power balance, availability and cost to the Knuckle Duster used on this server by Monks. I think the Knuckle Duster is actually more powerful, but the power balance seems similar to me.

Item Name: Greater Amulet of Thoth
Item Type: Amulet

Description: Worn by the most prestigious of wizards in service to the Akiri god Thoth, these leather amulets sport a large blue sapphire in their center.
When worn, the wizard can feel himself becoming strong enough to cast an additional powerful spell, and its jewel begins to glow a light blue.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot (Wizard - 4th Circle)
Light Low (10m) Blue
Material: Gem, Sapphire
Material: Leather

Appearance: I don’t have all the appearance options that the server employs on my toolset, but something similar to the current Amulet of Thoth appearance would be ideal.
Total Item Cost: 2403 (though I would suggest artificially raising it)

Notes: I understand that wizards are a powerful class. I also understand that there is a large amount of wizard spell slot gear currently available on this server. With those concessions in mind:
There are very few Wizard spell slot items that give slots higher than 2nd lvl. Those which do exist, are quite rare. Mid to High level wizards often have little or no use for these additional first and second level spell slots, meaning that wizards at these higher levels often have very little access to level appropriate gear. I’m not saying we bring back the 9th circle spell slot rings, but I think this is a nice middle road.
It’s one additional spell slot in an equipment slot (amulet) with lots of other high quality and competitive items.
With the recent addition of the Thoth dungeon, we have an excellent lore basis and level appropriate dungeon for this item to logically belong in and spawn in.
There are multiple other items currently on the loot table which grant 4th circle spell slots to mages and other classes (including in the amulet slot), so I don’t see this being a game-changer in terms of balance.

Item Name: Nathan’s Bulwark
Item Type: Tower Shield

Description: Mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to the Mists, Nathan the Atheist was a skeptic of the existence of living deities in the Land of Mists. In The Case for Atheists in the Misty Land, he argues for the Dead God Theory of the Mists. In honor of Nathan the Atheist, anonymous craftsmen around the Core crafted these Bulwarks. They serve as a commemoration to the late writer, and a symbol of defiance to many of the religious and political organizations across the Core.

Statistics:
Damage Resistance (Divine /10)
Light Low (10m) Yellow
Material: Oak

Appearance: iAshTo_032
Total Item Cost: 910 (though I would suggest artificially raising it)

Notes: I started to add negatives to this item, but on further reflection, I think that hauling around a 45 lbs. Tower Shield with zero additional AC boosts are large enough negatives in their own right. There are countless items that give /10 DR on this server, and even an item or two that already give /10 vs. Divine (without hauling around 45 lbs.), so I think this item is well-balanced enough as is.

Item Name: Chain of Ilmater

Description: The Ilmatari serve the Crying God and act to ease the suffering of all those they encounter, often by taking on such pain in the place of others. Some of the most devout of their order wear a heavy iron chain around their necks, a reminder of the burden which has been placed upon them. It is rumored that some of these chains even bear blessing from Ilmater.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot (Paladin - 2nd Circle)
Class Limitation: Paladin
Weight: 2 lbs. (As opposed to the 0.5 base weight on amulets)

Appearance: iit_neck_006
Total Item Cost: 391 (though I would suggest artificially raising it)

Notes: Paladins have less spell slot gear than every other caster class on the server (by a considerable margin). I consider the 2nd circle to be the Paladin’s weakest circle of spells. I know Paladins are a strong class, but I don't think that justifies us limiting the server to only 1 low end Paladin item.

Item Name: Longbow of Arcane Sight
Item Type: Longbow

Description: As keen as the aim of the Arcane Archer is their eyesight. Fashioned by the bowyers of Silvanost, these longbows were only intended for use by the most gifted and dedicated Arcane Archers - those who had honed both their talents for magic and archery.

Statistics:
Mighty (+5)
Spot (+5)
Class Limitation: Arcane Archer
Material: Yew
Material: Stag Antlers

Appearance: Top - Model 2 / Color 4
      Middle - Model 4 / Color 4
      Bottom - Model 5 / Color 4

Total Item Cost: 6810

Notes: To my knowledge there are not any Arcane Archer-specific items currently on the server, despite all the other Base Class & Prestige Class-specific items available to other classes. There is already a +5 Mighty +3 Spot Longbow on the server, I'm just suggesting a bow with a slightly higher spot bonus that is only available to Arcane Archers. I felt like the class could use a little love and this was the best thing I came up with.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:27:45 PM by HopeIsTheCarrot »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2021, 02:52:13 PM »
Greater Amulet of Thoth looks like a nice rare treasure for the Temple of Thoth.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »
Item Name: Ring of Constriction
Item Type: Ring

Description: Originally forged and employed by the Battleragers of Mithral Hall, the Ring of Constriction is of great use to the frenzied warrior. These magical rings detect an increased pulse in the finger of their wielders, and constrict tighter around the appendage as danger and risk loom larger. The constriction aids in the fury of these Battleragers, though it also reduces blood flow, including the flow of blood to the brain.

Statistics:
Bonus Feat: Toughness
Bonus Feat: Extra Rage
Decreased Ability Score (-2 Intelligence)
Class Limitation: Barbarian

Appearance: iit_ring_012
Total Item Cost: I don’t have access to these specific bonus feats on my toolset, but I presume based on the cost adjustment of other feats that it would come in right around 8,000.

Notes: There isn’t a lot of high-end Barbarian gear on the server, at least that I have seen. This ring is intended to be similar in function, power balance, availability and cost to the Knuckle Duster used on this server by Monks. I think the Knuckle Duster is actually more powerful, but the power balance seems similar to me.

Item Name: Greater Amulet of Thoth

Description: Worn by the most prestigious of wizards in service to the Akiri god Thoth, these leather amulets sport a large blue sapphire in their center.
When worn, the wizard can feel himself becoming strong enough to cast an additional powerful spell, and its jewel begins to glow a light blue.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot (Wizard - 4th Circle)
Light Low (10m) Blue
Material: Gem, Sapphire
Material: Leather

Appearance: I don’t have all the appearance options that the server employs on my toolset, but something similar to the current Amulet of Thoth appearance would be ideal.
Total Item Cost: 2403 (though I would suggest artificially raising it)

Notes: I understand that wizards are a powerful class. I also understand that there is a large amount of wizard spell slot gear currently available on this server. With those concessions in mind:
There are very few Wizard spell slot items that give slots higher than 2nd lvl. Those which do exist, are quite rare. Mid to High level wizards often have little or no use for these additional first and second level spell slots, meaning that wizards at these higher levels often have very little access to level appropriate gear. I’m not saying we bring back the 9th circle spell slot rings, but I think this is a nice middle road.
It’s one additional spell slot in an equipment slot (amulet) with lots of other high quality and competitive items.
With the recent addition of the Thoth dungeon, we have an excellent lore basis and level appropriate dungeon for this item to logically belong in and spawn in.
There are multiple other items currently on the loot table which grant 4th circle spell slots to mages and other classes (including in the amulet slot), so I don’t see this being a game-changer in terms of balance.

Item Name: Nathan’s Bulwark
Item Type: Tower Shield

Description: Mentioned in Van Richten's Guide to the Mists, Nathan the Atheist was a skeptic of the existence of living deities in the Land of Mists. In The Case for Atheists in the Misty Land, he argues for the Dead God Theory of the Mists. In honor of Nathan the Atheist, anonymous craftsmen around the Core crafted these Bulwarks. They serve as a commemoration to the late writer, and a symbol of defiance to many of the religious and political organizations across the Core.

Statistics:
Damage Resistance (Divine /10)
Light Low (10m) Yellow
Material: Oak

Appearance: iAshTo_032
Total Item Cost: 910 (though I would suggest artificially raising it)

Notes: I started to add negatives to this item, but on further reflection, I think that hauling around a 45 lbs. Tower Shield with zero additional AC boosts are large enough negatives in their own right. There are countless items that give /10 DR on this server, and even an item or two that already give /10 vs. Divine (without hauling around 45 lbs.), so I think this item is well-balanced enough as is.

Item Name: Chain of Ilmater

Description: The Ilmatari serve the Crying God and act to ease the suffering of all those they encounter, often by taking on such pain in the place of others. Some of the most devout of their order wear a heavy iron chain around their necks, a reminder of the burden which has been placed upon them. It is rumored that some of these chains even bear blessing from Ilmater.

Statistics:
Bonus Spell Slot (Paladin - 2nd Circle)
Class Limitation: Paladin
Weight: 2 lbs. (As opposed to the 0.5 base weight on amulets)

Appearance: iit_neck_006
Total Item Cost: 391 (though I would suggest artificially raising it)

Notes: Paladins have less spell slot gear than every other caster class on the server (by a considerable margin). I consider the 2nd circle to be the Paladin’s weakest circle of spells. I know Paladins are a strong class, but I don't think that justifies us limiting the server to only 1 low end Paladin item.

Item Name: Longbow of Arcane Sight
Item Type: Longbow

Description: As keen as the aim of the Arcane Archer is their eyesight. Fashioned by the bowyers of Silvanost, these longbows were only intended for use by the most gifted and dedicated Arcane Archers - those who had honed both their talents for magic and archery.

Statistics:
Mighty (+5)
Spot (+5)
Class Limitation: Arcane Archer
Material: Yew
Material: Stag Antlers

Appearance: Top - Model 2 / Color 4
      Middle - Model 4 / Color 4
      Bottom - Model 5 / Color 4

Total Item Cost: 6810

Notes: To my knowledge there are not any Arcane Archer-specific items currently on the server, despite all the other Base Class & Prestige Class-specific items available to other classes. There is already a +5 Mighty +3 Spot Longbow on the server, I'm just suggesting a bow with a slightly higher spot bonus that is only available to Arcane Archers. I felt like the class could use a little love and this was the best thing I came up with.

I am not the best when it comes to stats, but for the Ring of Concentration and the Chain of Ilmater reference the forgotten realms, perhaps their descriptions could be changed to reflect more Native Ravenloft stuff. The ring of Concentration could be a forfarian barbarian or a tepestiani or a Valachani? The Chain of Ilmater could reference paladins of Belenus or Ezra instead?

Quartermaster

• Outlander
« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2021, 04:16:11 PM »
The Greater amulet of Thoth, a 4th and 5th level bonus spell slot already exists in the loot tables. As does the Greater Isis amulet for Sorcs. They just never show up anymore.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2021, 06:22:54 PM »
The Greater amulet of Thoth, a 4th and 5th level bonus spell slot already exists in the loot tables. As does the Greater Isis amulet for Sorcs. They just never show up anymore.

I think just reducing it to a level 4 slot is reasonable so they atleast drop on the table. Especially if they are hopefully rare - I am of the opinion the har akir tables need more so things like this would be a welcome change.