You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 100989 times)

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2021, 09:56:23 PM »
The only thing stopping me from submitting items to the submission thread is having to create it in the toolset I don't have, to get a measure of the price.

As Eos brought it up.

Hat of Disguise

+? to Disguise

//Look can not be changed

Not sure what a good increase to Disguise would be.

100 Charges
Disguise Self, 5 charges
Minor Disguise, 1 charges
+5 Disguise
-7 Hide
Alignment Restriction: Evil
Alignment Restruction: Neutral

And then for the description, we've got to obliquely reference Sodo and his famous hat!

It is whispered in certain dark corners of Parison that there once lived an ambitious crime lord who came into possession of a powerful Hat of Disguise, which enabled him to assume the appearance his rivals, and that of their allies. Through subterfuge, skullduggery and ruthlessness, he slowly climbed to the top of the underworld, leaving a trail of bodies in his wake. This hat is but an imperfect replica of that mythical miracle of magical millinery.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

Dardonas

« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2021, 12:41:24 AM »
Spoiler: show
Item Name: Bangle of Mediocrity
Item Type: Ring
Description: These rings were once one of a kind, made by a master enchanter in the Université de Dementlieu for an arcanist of La Société de Legerdemain.  The two worked tirelessly to hypothesize a way to keep "hidden within plain sight" among the many noble societies, studying the very nature of Dementlieuse fashion and summing it down to its most mediocre state.  After its success, La Société de Legerdemain began to commission more of these to distribute amongst its members and allies.

From their studies, the most mediocre finger decor in all of Dementlieuese fashion is a eighth of an inch thick, plain silver band.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier: Hide -3
Material Silver
Skill Bonus: Disguise +6

Cost: 2560

Appearance: it_ring_011

Item Name: Mantle of Subtlety
Item Type: Cloak
Description: In joint studies between courtiers of La Société de Legerdemain and the enchanters of the Université de Dementlieu, efforts were made to uncover a mantle that could best let someone have the appearance of being well-off without being as overly dramatic to attract attention.  They found that this was best achieved through carefully selected dull colors that matched perfectly with the average black overcoat.  These particular mantles are enchanted with the ability to default themselves into a folded position just average enough to avoid eliciting the eye's attention.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier: Hide -8
Material Silk
Skill Bonus: Disguise +7

Cost: 1622

Appearance: Fur Mantle, Gray

Item Name: Club l'Artiste Prop Belt
Item Type: Belt
Description: These belts were designed solely by the stage engineers in the Club l'Artiste.  Among the many magicians' societies in Port-a-Lucine, the ones coming from the Club l'Artiste are equipped with all that a would-be magician might need at the cost of being clunky and loud.  Typically not a problem in large-scale performances where pyrotechnics and other stage effects were going off at the same time, it is quite noticeable on its own.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier: Move Silently -5
Skill Bonus: Disguise +5

Cost: 1000

Appearance: it_belt_001

Item Name: Legerdemain's Makeup
Item Type: Consumable
Description: These kits contained the magically enhanced stage-quality makeup that any performer in La Société de Legerdemain or Théâtre de la Cathédrale would don before a performance.  Renown for its ability to make complete transformations of famous people into whatever appearance the user desired, these quickly took off in the underworld of Port-a-Lucine.

Statistics:
Cast Spell: Disguise Self (10) 1 Charge/Use
6 Charges

Cost:: 7500

Appearance: iit_smlmisc_093

Item Name: Stranger's Medallion
Item Type: Amulet
Description: Originating from the land of Darkon, these strange amulets often appeared on the native Darkonese with little explanation as to how they got there.  Though all differ in shape and symbolism, it's not unheard of for people who have lived in Darkon all of their life to come across one placed in their jewelry.  This phenomenon was documented by a traveling merchant from the domain who, too, had once came across one of these very medallions in the earlier years of his life with the names of a wife and child he had never heard of before engraved on the back of the amulet.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier: Hide -5
Material Copper
Material Gem, Garnet
Skill Bonus: Influence +5

Cost: 5688

Appearance: it_neck_022

I suggested these for some possibilities for disguise gear.  I felt that the best way to balance it would be to add minuses to hide and move silent so people cannot "double up" on a type of stealth.  Most statistics are based off items that exist in game, such as Rings of Hiding and Rings of Silence.  Stalkers Ungent for the makeup.  It seems like Hide has a high weight towards its cost, so the item value might need to be modified manually.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:41:47 AM by Dardonas »

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2021, 09:25:04 PM »
Item Name: Stranger's Medallion
Item Type: Amulet
Description: Originating from the land of Darkon, these strange amulets often appeared on the native Darkonese with little explanation as to how they got there.  Though all differ in shape and symbolism, it's not unheard of for people who have lived in Darkon all of their life to come across one placed in their jewelry.  This phenomenon was documented by a traveling merchant from the domain who, too, had once came across one of these very medallions in the earlier years of his life with the names of a wife and child he had never heard of before engraved on the back of the amulet.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier: Hide -5
Material Copper
Material Gem, Garnet
Skill Bonus: Influence +5

Cost: 5688

Appearance: it_neck_022

This item appears very thematic, and when compared to items already in play seems like a good addition to the table.
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2021, 12:03:10 AM »
I am still evaluating Dardonnas items, though I'll be honest and tell you right away that I have no intention of implementing anything that exceeds a +5 bonus.

I was already planning of designing a disguise set of items. I see some of Dardonnas suggestions are very similar to what I had in mind. I will adapt them a bit. I think I'll be referring to Hazlani theatre as described in the 1st Gazetteer. When devising items I always suggest to focus on Canon Ravenloft lore as much as you can. It,s the kind of thing that reinforces the setting. Dardonnas did well in referencing Démentlieu btw.

I like the légerdemain makeup. I'll had this one for sure, though I will reduce the amount of possible uses to decrease the price and see it drop more often. I'll also have a one shot "disguise kit" item.

About Hazlani theatre.

The major art produced in Hazlan is theatre. Traditional Hazlani theatre is called haebstzarn. Haebstzarn is an unusual from of theatre characterized by having each character played by two actors, one of whom sits on the other’s shoulders; the former supplies the voice and the latter does the walking. Haebstzarn comedies are popular throughout the Core, although most non-Hazlani troupes do not use the double-actor method employed in true haebstzarn. Further, characters in haebstzarn are generally caricatures, with wildly exaggerated features and personalities. The masks used by haebstzarn actors, called haebstza, are prized artworks and are frequently made not as decoration but as display pieces, masquerade disguises, and personal accessories.

The Hazlani also enjoy puppetry, and abhaebstza, or puppet theatre, is almost as popular as haebstzarn theatre. Many Hazlani enjoy shadow puppet shows that tell the stories of Hazlan’s folk heroes. In particular, the Rashemani hold the tales of Vosshik, Berineth Waeysdottir, and Stalker-of- Deadmen in highest regard, though a number of other Rashemani heroes exist. The Mulan prefer tales of their heroes, such as Kiva Erdru and Gemeyes the White. A variant of haebstzam uses cloth marionettes as tall as three men to portray the characters.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2021, 12:16:05 AM »
I am more inclined to use an Influence penalty rather than a hide one. Though hide makes a certain sense, mechanically it is not a skill you'd often use jointly with disguise. That would be tantamount to no penalty at all. Best items have their risks and rewards at the same time.
Best Regards!
MAB

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2021, 12:27:33 AM »
I am more inclined to use an Influence penalty rather than a hide one. Though hide makes a certain sense, mechanically it is not a skill you'd often use jointly with disguise. That would be tantamount to no penalty at all. Best items have their risks and rewards at the same time.

Wouldn't someone trying to get away with something such as a gank be inclined to use both hide and disguise, what is preventing it? I think the combination of hide and disguise should be discouraged, that's just a blanket thought though, not one that fairly balances an item.

Dardonas

« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2021, 12:52:41 AM »

I feel as if Hide and Disguise could be used to "double stealth" so to speak and offer a higher mechanical advantage, which was my rational to having it as a penalty to outweigh Disguise.  Influence and Disguise won't really offer too much of a mechanical advantage and I feel as if it'd open more roleplay options for the "unsavory" types like Tiefling and Drow who have invested in trying to be a part of society. 

Edit:

I am still evaluating Dardonnas items, though I'll be honest and tell you right away that I have no intention of implementing anything that exceeds a +5 bonus.

I tweaked the items down a bit to where nothing exceeds a +5 bonus to Disguise.  Even with +5, I still feel most of the penalties are appropriate (-3 hide for the ring, for instance), though I lowered the mantle's hide penalty down.

As for the items themed around Hazlani theatre, I think that's a great thematic honestly.  I'm excited to see the set of items you've worked on when they're added or previewed somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:22:36 AM by Dardonas »

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2021, 01:20:47 AM »
I agree, "double stealth" is definitely a strategy I'd employ if I could.  Making a Disguise item have a Hide penalty puts pains to that strategy, but an Influence penalty is largely meaningless if you're not already on the cusp of hostile OCR.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
We would need bonus spell slot item writeups for:

-Voodan
-Hexblade

Ideally equivalent in power to what is already available for similar classes.

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »

-Voodan
-Hexblade

Submitted two of these. https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg681496#msg681496
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2021, 12:43:15 PM »

-Voodan
-Hexblade

Submitted two of these. https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg681496#msg681496

Thanks! Could also use Hexblade bonus spell level 4 (to match the ranger/paladin versions) and some higher level Voodan ones (even if they'll be super rare).

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »
I have some more: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg681540#msg681540

I intentionally left these equippable by non-Voodan, that should lead to them seeing some use for those who can deal with the penalties.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2021, 07:17:29 PM »

-Voodan
-Hexblade

Thanks! Could also use Hexblade bonus spell level 4 (to match the ranger/paladin versions) and some higher level Voodan ones (even if they'll be super rare).

There's ranger & paladin lvl 4 spellslot items? I know there were some 1 & 2 but I thought the level 4 ones were just rings for clerics, which would make sense to have equivalents for voodans but not hexblades otherwise.

The rarity of lvl 4 items for hexblade would have to be based off the price of these lvl 4 paladin / ranger items, so I cant help with that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:19:04 PM by zDark Shadowz »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »

-Voodan
-Hexblade

What about Assassins, Blackguards, and Monster Hunters?
: )

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2021, 07:22:15 PM »

-Voodan
-Hexblade

What about Assassins, Blackguards, and Monster Hunters?

Those would be nice but a lower priority since they're not base classes.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2021, 07:26:06 PM »
That said, well consider everything submitted. After voodan and hexblade, grimetrekker probably need the most love.
Best Regards!
MAB

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2021, 11:40:31 AM »
Thanks to the latest suggestion by Fungal Artillery and some items I'm adding myself, we should be good for hexblades.

Could possibly use 1-2 mid-high level spell slot items for Voodan.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
What would be mid-high? As far as I've seen, circle 4 is the highest that can be found in loot and only very rarely in the highest level dungeons. The holy symbol amulet with 2nd and 3rd slots is likewise one of the rarest items in the game, so something with circle 5 or higher would need to have some serious penalties, to the point it would probably just be unequipped after a buff dance. :(

I may cook something up, I've been trying to make more spell slot items that are attractive to keep equipped.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:46:51 AM by SardineTheAncestor »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2021, 02:05:18 PM »
So would it be wrong to request a two handed wood cutting axe? It's a tad bit silly cutting down trees with only handaxes

function just like the normal wood cutting axe we have now just...a great axe size one.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

mccarthy00

• Undead Master
« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2021, 02:07:55 PM »
So would it be wrong to request a two handed wood cutting axe? It's a tad bit silly cutting down trees with only handaxes

function just like the normal wood cutting axe we have now just...a great axe size one.

Don't see why not, may be low on the list of priority's however

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2021, 02:10:36 PM »

lol roughly 6 years here low priority but I get it not high on the list lol one day we'll get it and have lumberjacks

mccarthy00

• Undead Master
« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »

lol roughly 6 years here low priority but I get it not high on the list lol one day we'll get it and have lumberjacks

Could be wrong, but do great axes work the same way  wood cutting axes do?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2021, 02:25:59 PM »

You are posting in the wrong thread, this one is to discuss items submitted for inclusion in loot drop options as detailed here.. I would suggest you post this in the "system wishlist" one or its own thread.
Best Regards!
MAB

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »

You are posting in the wrong thread, this one is to discuss items submitted for inclusion in loot drop options as detailed here.. I would suggest you post this in the "system wishlist" one or its own thread.

Heh thanks. to many lists thought it would fit here for a item. But i'll throw it there MAB thanks!

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »
Spoiler: show
So this post is out of format but bear with me.

Over in this thread we were discussing the current herbalist bags and reducing their weight to 0.1 lbs.

While we've come to an impasse, I think maybe there is a realistic compromise.

Here is zDark Shadowz's suggestion.

If it used the same base item (which is a lot easier to do) and added a 20% of weight reduction it changes the bag from a 5gp value to a 255gp value.

If people are fine with paying 255gp for a lighter herbalist bag maybe just make an item request thread to have this added in.

Here's the statistics and cost picture for you. Be the change you want to see, go post this exact pic for the item request in the appropriate thread. If people want to buy it so much make the request to add it to the vendors. If you dont do this then you really didnt want what you wanted. Maybe it's a Spidersilk Herbalist Bag which makes it lightweight and strong. Maybe it could be added as a tailoring option later on for MAB77. Who knows?

I particularly like this idea because it is a moderate gold sink, not too crazy, and offers convenience for those willing to pay its cost.

Like magic bags, characters can function without them just fine, but the implementation means a bit less tedium in inventory management.

Seeing this item appear in herbalist shops and some general stores would be really nice.

The idea of implementing this item, or something similar, as a tailoring option also seems sound.

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg685122#msg685122

Thoughts?