You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 100650 times)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
I'd like to suggest changing one of the expendable items that grants 'Keen' to 'Weapon of Impact'.

We currently have the Enchanted Whetstone (5 uses), Mustard of Success (3 uses), and the Oil of Sharpness (1 use).

Maybe the mustard, with a slight change to the description. What do you think?

Equivalent items casting Weapon of Impact, will be added soon. No need to change an existing item.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »
Not sure if its done here but can I request citizenship for Dementlieu as a foriegner? I remembering reading about Dementliwu in forums and one could request to be a citizen and also request paperwork for servants. My character Adrian Dundragon has been living there and working in the biblioteque for three montha but I havent found a request area or in game place for such.

Also if this is an item of citizenship how does one get papers for thier servants? Reading the laws if one has swrvants they would need papers as well especially if thwy were caliban. How do I go by that?
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »
Not sure if its done here but can I request citizenship for Dementlieu as a foriegner? I remembering reading about Dementliwu in forums and one could request to be a citizen and also request paperwork for servants. My character Adrian Dundragon has been living there and working in the biblioteque for three montha but I havent found a request area or in game place for such.

Also if this is an item of citizenship how does one get papers for thier servants? Reading the laws if one has swrvants they would need papers as well especially if thwy were caliban. How do I go by that?

These questions might be better asked in character or at least in the Ravenloft discussion board if you have questions about the setting.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 06:44:31 AM »
(( Having seen a somewhat lack in proper druid gear, I'll be posting a few in the coming days. Hope they're up to snuff! ))

Item Name: Bullthorn's Vine

Item Type: Ring

Description: The Elder Treant Bullthorn occasionally uses broken parts of himself to craft items for worthy druids who seek him out in the Vale of Shadows. This particular piece is an eternally strong & sturdy vine, pieces of thorned bark still stuck to its exterior, tied together in a ring-like shape. Those who wield it feel a greater connection to the Woods....But this power comes at a price: the wielder will partly share the Wood's Weaknesses as well...

Statistics: Bonus Spell Slot Druid [Level 3], Bonus Spell Slot Druid [Level 4], Damage Vulnerability Fire [10%], Damage Vulnerability Slashing [10%], Class restriction [Druid]

Item Cost : 5193

They already count an amulet, 2 robes, 1 armor, 1 staff, an helm and a very powerful ring which all grant extra spell slots. More rings granting spell slots is not what Druids need. Try maybe to devise interesting armors that would be the equivalent of some of the crafted steel ones. I think there would be a market for those.

Also, while they might indeed benefit of having more nature oriented items at their disposal indeed. The Druid & Nature loot tables alone do count over 80 items (not even counting the spell scrolls) that may specifically be of interest to Druids. Because its not exclusively restricted to druids doesn't mean some items were not created with them in mind. We try as best as possible to avoid "class exclusive items".

Part of the problem may also be that you simply do not adventure where nature/druid loot is more likely to appear. Loot type is associated to type of dungeons you visit. Grinding the same dungeons over and over will make you miss the diversity of the 1000+ different custom items in our loot tables. Though maybe they ought to drop in more dungeons than now, that will be something for us Dev to discuss.

Item Name: Bullthorn's Hands

Item Type: Gauntlets

Description: The Elder Treant Bullthorn occasionally uses broken parts of himself to craft items for worthy druids who seek him out in the Vale of Shadows. These gloves were once the trusty appendages of the mighty wooden titan. Tiny spikes litter the woodlike surface, the tips eternally oozing a remnant of the treant's poisonous defenses. While powerful and well-crafted, they are a bit unwieldy for humanoid hands...Not to mention made of magicked wood!

Statistics: Damage Bonus Acid [1d6], Damage Bonus Piercing [2], Extra Melee Damage Type [Piercing], Decreased Attack Modifier [-1], Damage Vulnerability Fire [5%], Alignment Group Restriction [Neutral]

Item Cost : 5842

A druid using those in conjunction with the "Claws of the Savage" spell would end up with a +2 weapon dealing all 3 types of damage at once. I'm not convinced that's the kind of thing we should aim for. Also I'd rather see those as a monk item, though they already have gloves dealing acid damage.
Best Regards!
MAB

julienchab

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
(( Having seen a somewhat lack in proper druid gear, I'll be posting a few in the coming days. Hope they're up to snuff! ))

Description: The Elder Treant Bullthorn occasionally uses broken parts of himself to craft items for worthy druids who seek him out in the Vale of Shadows. This particular piece is an eternally strong & sturdy vine, pieces of thorned bark still stuck to its exterior, tied together in a ring-like shape. Those who wield it feel a greater connection to the Woods....But this power comes at a price: the wielder will partly share the Wood's Weaknesses as well...

Statistics: Bonus Spell Slot Druid [Level 3], Bonus Spell Slot Druid [Level 4], Damage Vulnerability Fire [10%], Damage Vulnerability Slashing [10%], Class restriction [Druid]

They already count an amulet, 2 robes, 1 armor, 1 staff, an helm and a very powerful ring which all grant extra spell slots. More rings granting spell slots is not what Druids need. Try maybe to devise interesting armors that would be the equivalent of some of the crafted steel ones. I think there would be a market for those.

Also, while they might indeed benefit of having more nature oriented items at their disposal indeed. The Druid & Nature loot tables alone do count over 80 items (not even counting the spell scrolls) that may specifically be of interest to Druids. Because its not exclusively restricted to druids doesn't mean some items were not created with them in mind. We try as best as possible to avoid "class exclusive items".

Part of the problem may also be that you simply do not adventure where nature/druid loot is more likely to appear. Loot type is associated to type of dungeons you visit. Grinding the same dungeons over and over will make you miss the diversity of the 1000+ different custom items in our loot tables. Though maybe they ought to drop in more dungeons than now, that will be something for us Dev to discuss.

Description: The Elder Treant Bullthorn occasionally uses broken parts of himself to craft items for worthy druids who seek him out in the Vale of Shadows. These gloves were once the trusty appendages of the mighty wooden titan. Tiny spikes litter the woodlike surface, the tips eternally oozing a remnant of the treant's poisonous defenses. While powerful and well-crafted, they are a bit unwieldy for humanoid hands...Not to mention made of magicked wood!

Statistics: Damage Bonus Acid [1d6], Damage Bonus Piercing [2], Extra Melee Damage Type [Piercing], Decreased Attack Modifier [-1], Damage Vulnerability Fire [5%], Alignment Group Restriction [Neutral]

A druid using those in conjunction with the "Claws of the Savage" spell would end up with a +2 weapon dealing all 3 types of damage at once. I'm not convinced that's the kind of thing we should aim for. Also I'd rather see those as a monk item, though they already have gloves dealing acid damage.

They do? I know they have gloves that do divine, fire, cold, sonic, piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damage, but I have never seen any pair of gloves that does acid damage. Is it a new item?

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »

They do? I know they have gloves that do divine, fire, cold, sonic, piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damage, but I have never seen any pair of gloves that does acid damage. Is it a new item?

No they are called gloves of the green dragon disciple? or something like that they do +1 ab and 1d6 acid damage might be 1d4 I'm sure it's the D6 i'll correct myself when I get on today. Tsubaki has a pair found in a dungeon.

gonna add in, it was in a mid level dungeon but the drop is rare.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:19:15 AM by Syl »

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »

Really? Because I've been playing a druid for over two years, but the only things with spell slots I've seen are the Golden Sickle and the Neureni/Harmony Robes, and even that was uncommon. But I'll grant that I might not be doing all the dungeons available.

However, I've never seen the other mentioned things (like rings!), not even in auctions. When my character asked IC-wise, nobody ever knew of any, either. Hence my assumption that they didn't exist.

Thanks for clarifying, and definitely thanks for discussing a possible upping of druidic drops! I'll see if I can't devise any armors. Maybe a bow?

That's actually a fair point. And monks need love, after all. I could see them using it for added damage. Removing the alignment restriction!

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:54 PM »
Item Name: Amulet of Shifting Faces

Item Type: Necklace

Appearance: iit_neck_089

Description: These necklaces are shrouded in mystery, few if any know who make such things. The power of the necklace can be immensely useful in taking on the benefits of other creatures. But its power does not come without cost, simply wearing the necklace leaves ones mind exceedingly vulnerable to the will of others. Because the amulet allows one to quickly assume the form of others and shift back and forth at will. It also leaves ones true form susceptible to illness. The cost of the amulets power is often the downfall of the beholder. In a way, the amulets are almost cursed in that regard, since such amulets are found more often then not on whats left of its previous owner.

Statistics: Cast Spell: Polymorph 5 Charges/Use, Decreased Saving Throws -5 Disease, -5 Will, -5 Mind Affecting

Cost: 4251

While those are some harsh penalties, I don't see any reason a player would actually wear this necklace. Yes, you have to put it on to use the Polymorph charges, but there is zero chance I'd ever just walk around wearing this. If I had to I'd put it on to activate it and then strip it rendering its drawbacks rather irrelevant. I'd consider adding some stats, saves or maybe "Spell Immunity Baleful Polymorph" to justify the draw backs and encourage people to actually wear it.

On another note -5 will and -5 vs mind effective is a bit excessive. In the case of you facing a mind affecting spell, they'll stack giving you a cumulative -10  to your save. I'd keep the theme of a weakened state of mind though. Maybe a wisdom penalty -2 or 3 maybe and then a smaller lower save vs mind affecting. They'll still stack, but it wont quite as severe. 

julienchab

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »
Item Name: Amulet of Shifting Faces

Item Type: Necklace

Appearance: iit_neck_089

Description: These necklaces are shrouded in mystery, few if any know who make such things. The power of the necklace can be immensely useful in taking on the benefits of other creatures. But its power does not come without cost, simply wearing the necklace leaves ones mind exceedingly vulnerable to the will of others. Because the amulet allows one to quickly assume the form of others and shift back and forth at will. It also leaves ones true form susceptible to illness. The cost of the amulets power is often the downfall of the beholder. In a way, the amulets are almost cursed in that regard, since such amulets are found more often then not on whats left of its previous owner.

Statistics: Cast Spell: Polymorph 5 Charges/Use, Decreased Saving Throws -5 Disease, -5 Will, -5 Mind Affecting

Cost: 4251

While those are some harsh penalties, I don't see any reason a player would actually wear this necklace. Yes, you have to put it on to use the Polymorph charges, but there is zero chance I'd ever just walk around wearing this. If I had to I'd put it on to activate it and then strip it rendering its drawbacks rather irrelevant. I'd consider adding some stats, saves or maybe "Spell Immunity Baleful Polymorph" to justify the draw backs and encourage people to actually wear it.

On another note -5 will and -5 vs mind effective is a bit excessive. In the case of you facing a mind affecting spell, they'll stack giving you a cumulative -10  to your save. I'd keep the theme of a weakened state of mind though. Maybe a wisdom penalty -2 or 3 maybe and then a smaller lower save vs mind affecting. They'll still stack, but it wont quite as severe. 

You're not really going to put this amulet unless you want to polymorph, and once you polymorph, the amulet stats don't count.

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:20 PM »
I guess you could use it to polymorph some allies and that's about it. Those huge drawbacks only have an incredibly short window where they actually have any meaning.

julienchab

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:21 AM »
I guess you could use it to polymorph some allies and that's about it. Those huge drawbacks only have an incredibly short window where they actually have any meaning.

Yeah exactly what I mean, so even if the drawbacks are high, they dont mean a lot since you're going to have the amulet only in specific times

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »
That was partly the point, you arnt meant to just leave it on and then suddenly just activate it. You want to wear it as little as possible, and even trying to put it on during battle to use it runs the immense risk of danger.

And then should you even use it before hand, the moment poly wears off, you have it on and risk considerable harm depending on what your doing the moment it wears off. Which is the point, as its a gamble to use the item. You risk being vulnerable before and after you activate the spell, or even during if someone dispells you and manages to cancel out your poly.

Which fits the bio of the item i feel, its powerful and useful but only as long as your careful how you use it and are able to hold the form. If not you become rather vulnerable and could easily become killed if not careful how you use it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:19:09 AM by Miuo »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »
Huh, there are the robes of the white island. Which have the same poly/-5 will/-5 mind, and are class locked to Cleric/Druid/Good/Monk, which are only worth less then 200gp.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:41 AM »
Then your suggestion even becomes redundant. Chabxxu and Philos are right, no one would ever use that amulet in a situation it was dangerous for them. I assume it is the the same with those robes. Seems to me a far better solution is for a one-shot consumable item casting the spell (if it does not exists already), a counterpart to the Witch's Cauldron.
Best Regards!
MAB

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 07:27:28 AM »
You could do like "Witch's Benign Brew" and "Witch's Baleful Brew" and have fun trying to figure out which witch is which. ;)

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
Single use Poly potion would come out to 1051gp, would that be acceptable for a potion?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »
Hope you don't mind, but got a fair few here to suggest for the CEP items, to try and bring them up to the level of some of the lootables.  Add some variety as it were!

Those are boffo, love a couple of new maces but!

Someone in chat said you can't focus or specialize in CEP weapons (like heavy mace)?

If true, then these are NOT so OP because that's a big handicap!!

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
Yurp, same with "Fashion Items" which are most holdables.

Spoiler: show

Item Type - Razor

Jack's Toy
Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
Jack's gonna put your head on a stick
Looking to dance, looking to play
Looking to take your eyes away
Ezra won't come, won't save your soul
He'll cut, and slice
Chop, and dice
And eat.  You.  Whole.
-The Rippers Rhyme.

Appearance -    Top - 1   Colour - 4
      Middle - 1  Colour - 3
      Bottom - 1  Colour - 1
Stats - Decreased AC, -5
Decreased Saves, Universal, -2
Keen
Massive crits 1d8
Bonus slashing 1d6
Quality - Excellent
Material - Steel, Bone
Cost - 15678

The -5 AC feels like it would render the item rather useless? Not sure anyone would take such a huge hit to AC for a item they can focus in or get a bonus via feats, or have a base item dmg. Unlike daggers and other similar weapons its completely reliant on stats making it even less favorable. I really like the idea of some razor items, but i dunno this feels like it will be largely a miss with that kind of AC penalty.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »
To be honest I was thinking of it having more of a roleplay based item, and heavily cursed.  Also, that said, it was about the only way to reduce the cost!  That is a very, very expensive item.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »
But isn't that the issue? The -5 ac is purely there to reduce, I would have preferred other means. Such as breaking it down into a few different negative side effects rather than going for one huge one that basically renders the item unusable by nearly every single character, and with such a crazy high price it only ensures it to be of the rarest possible. Only for it to be rubbish.

A cursed item would be nice if hidden curses could be a thing like once equipped it can't be removed without remove curse. Or Something bad would happen sporadically out of the blue, such as getting the wounding property applied. Or sudden damage dmg was done (rply compelled to self-harm/spill your own blood because the razor compels you to.) But all that kinda stuff takes script work.

Going off what is purely available at this moment, the -5 ac seems too much of a single drawback to making the item useful for any. Since any caster type is already gonna have crap ac to begin with and -5 will make them insanely squishy, and anyone who could stand to even possibly take the ac hit will won't want to use the item because it utterly blows compared to an actual "normal" weapon. Might it be worth discussing though that non-typical weapons get grants a default negative to their cost value to make up for their lack of base dmg and the like? So something like the razor won't be so insanely expensive when given a little more power to make it a little more equal to actual weapon type?

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 04:22:59 AM »
The thing is, at present this is an -extremely- powerful weapon.  Keen, bonus damage, and massive crits put it close to an enchanted weapon.  Given a GMW and it'd cause enormous damage even as offhand.  There is a lot of stuff to offset the loss, such as parry AC or spell AC.  -5 is a *lot* I will grant you, yes.  But it needs a ridiculous offset for its ridiculous potential.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 06:53:47 AM »
I don't disagree with that, I just think as you pointed out the negatives should be broken up into other types. Rather than the focus on -5 AC and -2 Universal.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »
With that item, I think it would be much more easier if instead, you remove the bonus on it and low grade its quality. Adding bonus like that then putting lots of negative on it doesn't serve any purpose imo.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »
Item Name: Slab

Regardless, the improperly heavy blade's edge is dull,

-Damage Bonus Slashing [2d8]

This seems contrary....

Building out off the mists

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »
Item Name: Slab

Regardless, the improperly heavy blade's edge is dull,

-Damage Bonus Slashing [2d8]

This seems contrary....

Woops, right you are! Changed to Bludgeoning.