Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 100625 times)

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »
Item Name: Slab

Item Type: Greatsword

Description: This isn't a weapon: It's a mockery of craftmanship. The 'blade'', if it can be called that, looks like someone grabbed a large slab of iron and hammered it vaguely into the shape of a sword. The only remarkable aspect of this thing is that the Slab doesn't fall apart under it's sheer weight.  A fluke or some unknown genius forging technique, who can tell?

Regardless, the improperly heavy blade's edge is dull, though a hit from this 'sword' would  admittedly still hurt like all hells. But it's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness : Only the strongest warriors could hope to lift this thing, let alone wield it.

Statistics:

Advantages:
-Damage Bonus Bludgeoning [2d8]
-Extra Damage Type [Bludgeoning]
-Material [Iron]

Disadvantages:
-Decreased Dexterity [-2]
-Decreased AC Dodge [-2]
-Decreased Skill Parry [-4]
-Decreased Skill Tumble [-4]
-Weight Increase [30 lbs]

Item Cost : 6298

Appearance:

Top : 7 [Color 1]
Middle : 7 [Color 1]
Bottom : 25 [Color 1]

The only thing I don't like with an item like that is that with so many negative, I don't think anyone would be ready to use a sword like or even carry it with that 30lbs extra weight.

I do not dislike the concept of the blade though, remove a few negative, remove the

and lower the extra damage to 1d8 instead.

As it is right now, I don't see anyone willing to lose almost 4-5AC and add 30lbs weight to use a greatsword like this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:06:47 PM by Iluvatar »
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

MrSmiley

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • New to the Mists
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
I like the idea of having a greatsword that can cause bludgeoning damage, with so many undead in the server it'd fill a good niché and be immensely useful nearly just from that quality alone. Obviously it'll require tweaking with negative aspects, and positive ones.

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 11:40:10 PM »
One thing to remember is that the AC bonus from tumble uses BASE skill ranks, i.e what you invest at level up. Lowering the skill through items or stat penalties will not actually decrease the AC you receive from the tumble skill.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 12:26:24 AM »
You would still lose around 4 AC depending on your build and that's not something someone using a greatsword can spare, 4 AC is a lot. It's the difference between life and death in many many situation.

When making items, we should try to make items that people will actually want to use despite the negative on them. Adding items that no one will use because of to important negative doesn't serve any purpose, they could be replace by coins since they'll be sold anyway and just make finding suitable piece of gear much harder. I've seen many nice concept of items, but many also have so many negative that there is no way I would want to use them. My advice is remove some advantage of the items instead of adding too many negative. And sometime, yeah an item will simply be op and some items need to be, not every items needs negative on them.

Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »
Item Name: Slab

Item Type: Greatsword

Description: This isn't a weapon: It's a mockery of craftmanship. The 'blade'', if it can be called that, looks like someone grabbed a large slab of iron and hammered it vaguely into the shape of a sword. The only remarkable aspect of this thing is that the Slab doesn't fall apart under it's sheer weight.  A fluke or some unknown genius forging technique, who can tell?

Regardless, the improperly heavy blade's edge is dull, though a hit from this 'sword' would  admittedly still hurt like all hells. But it's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness : Only the strongest warriors could hope to lift this thing, let alone wield it.

Statistics:

Advantages:
-Damage Bonus Bludgeoning [2d8]
-Material [Iron]

Disadvantages:
-Decreased Dexterity [-2]
-Decreased AC Dodge [-2]
-Decreased Skill Parry [-4]
-Decreased Skill Tumble [-4]
-Weight Increase [30 lbs]

Item Cost : 6298

Appearance:

Top : 7 [Color 1]
Middle : 7 [Color 1]
Bottom : 25 [Color 1]

The only thing I don't like with an item like that is that with so many negative, I don't think anyone would be ready to use a sword like or even carry it with that 30lbs extra weight.

I do not dislike the concept of the blade though, remove a few negative, remove the

and lower the extra damage to 1d8 instead.

As it is right now, I don't see anyone willing to lose almost 4-5AC and add 30lbs weight to use a greatsword like this.

Okay, I reworked the sword with this notion in mind : The sword should be so heavy that it impairs your ability to move. I was wary of lowering the damage to 1d8, because that's just the damage increase of an average steel greatsword.

However, I realized rather quickly that this is bludgeoning damage, so any spell or item that grants enhancement would add slashing damage on top of the 1d8 increase, which makes it viable even in cases not related to the undead.

Per negatives :
Losing so much AC would be catastrophic, true. A decrease in tumble is still viable : can't exactly run with a 45 pound sword. And a decrease in tumble does not remove AC.

I've also added a decreased saving throw for reflex, and removed all the other negative/positives. This way, no AC loss is made, but you'd still be impaired in the ways of agility.

See the Item request thread for the specifics!

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
I personally think it is much better like that! If I found a sword like that right now, I might be ready to use it! :)
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
Hanged Man's Boots
Boots
Top 4/2
Middle 4/3
Bottom 2/7
Bonus Feat: Evasion
Decreased Saving Throws: Death -3
Use Limitation Alignment Group Chaotic

In many places, the boots of a man condemned to hanging are claimed by the man that ties the noose.
These boots once belonged to such a man; a canny thief who's luck eventually ran out. These boots grant some of that thief's preternatural adroitness, but any who wear them is surely marked for death.

I consider Evasion to be the strongest feat, even stronger than Improved Evasion because of the lower requirements, and I know I am not alone in this. I think it is too strong a feat to be on an item, especially with just a penalty that is situational and can easily be nullified with a Death Ward spell. I also think it is a bad idea to lock such a strong feat behind a specific alignment, if it must be added to the game as an item. Overall though, I would change the evasion feat to increased reflex saves, or possibly to the Defensive Roll feat.

IrishIron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »
Seconded. This would be like giving weapon specialization on an item. It's something people take rogue specifically for or ranger etc. This is a key ability to classes and should likely not be given on an item. Just my personal view.

Added reflex makes sense though. Personally I don't think any of the rogue special feats should  be something given by items.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:13:05 PM by Azcath »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
Seems to me someone was in a Falkovnian-Oktoberfest mood today. I like those beers very much, but maybe we should have varieties from various domains and use them further to disseminate more info about the rest of the Core?
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 01:36:21 AM »
Hi Dumas. Thanks for your latest proposals. I do like most of them, but playing the devils advocate I have a few questions/comments about them.

Gloves of the Black Moon
What is the point of those gloves? We already have gloves granting animal empathy. And hide/move silently skills are better suited to armors and boots than gloves.

Burden of Faith
AC +3, Damage Reduction : +1 [Amount: 4]. That is huge, regardless of the penalties tied to it I don't think we should add this to the module.

Amulet of Blessed Refuge
Interesting, but granting way too much skill point bonuses for my taste. I would reduce the bonuses to +2, and the penalties accordingly.

Shard of Sacrifice
Understanding that it helps to balance the blade's powers, but would anyone truly use a blade bestowing a -4 penalty to AC? We after all want to devise items people would use. The +2d8 divine damage also seems to me to be a bit high. I would tone it down to +1d4 max. Of course the penalties should also be reduced accordingly. And by the nature of the blade the +1 should be vs Evil only as well.

Corvian Helm
I like this helm, but I am concerned the -5 penaly to reflex would make it so that no one would use it. How about: AC Bonus vs. Damage Type : Bludgeoning [+3]; Damage Resistance :Bludgeoning [Amount: 1]; Decreased Saving Throws: Specific: Reflex [-2] instead? 

Medallion of the Grasses
While I like the concept of this medallion, something tells me it would only be used by roguish types for whom the 25% arcane spell failure chance is moot. I would drop the spell failure chance to only 5%, the spellcraft bonus to +2, and instead add a -2 penalty to a skill useful to rogues in general. I think that would make it interesting for more players.

The following items I like as is, I'll add them to the the module. Pending approval from my fellow devs of course.

Gloomreaver's Bane
Highwayman's Surprise (Will likely make bolts and bullets versions as well)
Sklaventreiber Whip
Vial of Incendiary Sun
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:40:31 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2017, 02:27:16 AM »
Thanks for the input, MAB77. I went back and made some of the edits you suggested, and modified the items properties and prices, accordingly.

As for the Black Moon gloves, I can see your point in gloves not adding anything to move silently, (you'd move most silently without gloves, most likely), and forgot that there were already tamer gloves that added empathy. I decided to change the item to armor instead, which would still fit the description. Hopefully, it will give a good choice to druids or rangers wishing for nature stealth armor.

I've also eliminated the damage reduction from the Burden of Faith, as well as changing some of the penalties, hopefully toning it down to a more realistic level.

Here's the edited stats for those items, but I've also changed them on the Request Thread -

Item Name: Blackmoon Hide
Item Type: Armor (hide armor)

Description:  Dreaded tales tell of a great wolf that once terrorized the region of Verbrek known as the Mourning Ridge, a jagged spine of wooded hills that dominate the area near the source of the Ulvflod River and hug the edge of the southern border with Sithicus.

The massive wolf, black as pitch and larger than a drafthorse prowled along the scattered hamlets that clung to the edge of the Ulvflod, causing havoc and death in its wake each autumn. Verbrekers in the region long dreaded the coming of the beastly creature, which they called "The Harvester", as it came nearly to the day at the time of their meager end of the year harvests.

A group of Outlander adventurers passing through the region heard of the local plight, and swore that they would take it upon themselves to rid the area of the great wolf. A long hunt ensued, lasting over many weeks. Each time the adventurers thought they were closing on the wolf, it managed to evading them, blending into the dark woods with an uncanny ease.

After much strife, the adventurers eventually came across the den of the beast, and slew it in a hard-fought battle amongst the ancient and fog-strewn pines. A ranger amongst the group, skilled in the ways of leatherworking, noted the properties of the hide of the monstrous creature, and skinned it then and there.

Unfortunately, when the adventurers returned to the hamlet from which they heard of the Harvester, they found it utterly destroyed... a pack of lycanthropes evidently had ravaged it, slaughtering the inhabitants to the last woman and child. Revenge, perhaps, for the killing of the great Harvester wolf.

Sets of darkly toned armor such as these are said to be from the hide of the Harvester, and indeed, their coloring is as black as pitch and extremely difficult to see in dark lighting. Very supple, they are quite effective at stalking through the woods, letting one slip quietly over branches or rocks. The fur they are made from, however, seems to bristle near arcane objects.

Statistics:
Decreased Skill Modifier : Use Magic Device [-5]
Skill Bonus : Animal Empathy [+2]
Skill Bonus : Hide [+1]
Skill Bonus : Move Silently [+2]
Material [Leather]

Appearance:
Neck : 000
Torso : 028
Belt : 000
Pelvis : 000
Shoulder : 033
Bicep : 044
Forearm : 040
Hand : 003
Thighs: 025
Shins: 036
Feet: 011
Robe:047

Leather 1: Dark Grey
Leather 2: Dark Grey
Cloth 1: Black
Cloth 2: Black
Metal 1: Bleach
Metal 2: Bleach

Total Item Cost:

Item Name:  Amulet of Blessed Refuge
Item Type: Amulet

Description:  Worn by those of pure heart and dedication, these amulets were said to have been blessed by Anchorites of the Second Revelation of Ezra, based in Mordentshire.

The depiction is of an image of a silver blade surrounded by a delicate wreath of belladonna, shielded by a small piece of tinted glass in a bronze frame. In the dark of night, the glass seems to glow softly in a gentle green hue.

Gifted to those that show true commitment to the aspects of aid, cooperation, and dedication, one can feel a sense of ease and peace when wearing these amulets. At the same time, there is felt a pull to forget distractions that are not placed at the benefits of others.

"Blessed are those that accept Her grace and guidance, and shun the temptations of the Legion, " reads an inscription on the back.

Statistics:
Skill Bonus : Concentration [+2]
Skill Bonus : Heal [+2]
Skill Bonus : Influence [+2]
Decreased Skill Modifier :  Antagonize [-2]
Decreased Skill Modifier :  Hide [-2]
Decreased Skill Modifier :  Use Magic Device [-2]
Light [Dim (5m)] [Color : Green]
Material [Bronze]
Material [Silver]
Material [Glass]

Appearance:
iit_neck_237

Total Item Cost:

Item Name:  Shard of Sacrifice
Item Type: Longsword

Description:  Much can be achieved through great risk and sacrifice, and few know this as well as those dedicated to the lessons of the goddess Ezra, the apparent mortal who achieved what none before her could : Divinity, though at great price. Forever bound to the Mists of Death, she was a martyr for her followers.

One such group of her faithful, a cadre of Templar Knights of the Last Redoubt, the church that Teodorus Raine's established in Nevuchar Springs, were bestowed a set of blessed blades to battle the Legion of Night abroad.

Tasked by the clergy to destroy a dangerous and insidious necromantic cult that had been assaulting members of the faith, the "Last Knights" as they boldly declared themselves, set out on a long journey to eradicate the cultists. With bravery and determination, they brought down the justice of Ezra upon the wicked cultists time and time again, chasing them through the far reaches of the wilderness, and routing them from several hidden lairs.

Cunning though is the Legion, and their success did not last. An ambush set by the necromancers deep in an ancient system of tunnels under the Mountains of Misery in Darkon took the Last Knights by surprise, inflicting heavy losses amongst the Templars. A single Zealot covered their retreat to the surface, holding off the necromancers, and knowing full well that he would die to save the others. The dark energies of the cultists arcane magic tore into the lone Templar, draining and weakening him with terrible force, but he fought with iron discipline until his last breath. Very few Templars escaped the slaughter, but those that did knew that it was only because of the determined sacrifice of their brother.

In the years since the loss, a few shattered remains of their blessed blades have been found by explorers. They have been occasionally, reforged with other metals back into swords that are potent against the Legion, but carry echoes of the sacrifice and audacity of those dedicated Templars.

Statistics:
Attack Bonus vs. Alignment Group : Evil [+1]
Bonus Feat : Extra Smiting
Damage Bonus vs. Alignment Group : Evil [1d4 Damage] [Type: Divine]
Saving Throw Bonus : Mind Affecting [+1]
Damage Vulnerability : Negative Energy [50% Damage Vulnerability]
Decreased AC : AC Dodge Modifier [-2]
Decreased Saving Throws : Death [-1]
Decreased Saving Throws : Negative Energy [-1]
Material [Steel]
Material [Iron]
Quality [Masterwork]

Appearance:
Top 7/9
Middle 16/3
Bottom 10/4

Total Item Cost:

Item Name:  Burden of Faith
Item Type: Tower Shield

Description:  The Mists hold many secrets in their depths. Sights both dreadful and wondrous are rumored to be found in their expanse, but few are those that would brave them, and fewer still are those that may return.

Amongst those that do venture into the Mists with purpose are those Acolytes of Ezra that wish to become full Anchorites. Those that are either blessed enough (or lucky enough) to manifest Her Shield after their trials in the Mists are proclaimed members of the Ezrite clergy.

There is however, a tale of a former Acolyte that experienced an event so harrowing in the Mists, that they refused to speak hardly any word of it when they finally emerged, and as the tale goes, abandoned the faith after the terrible ordeal.

Though likely warped by time and repeated tellings, it is said that the Acolyte did witness shambling undead, wearing the tattered and bloodstained armour of Ezrite Anchorites and Templars... their rotted faces holding orbs of red mist where their eyes once were. The undead Ezrites were said to have carried towering shields plated with silver and steel, with five stars emblazoned on the polished metal, which may be seen as a sign of the heresy of the Fifth Sect.

The Acolyte fled in terror, heard from by few again...

In the years since the rarely discussed encounter, a few shields closely resembling that which the Acolyte described have turned up in various hands, somehow having been claimed by those who entered the Mists. The tower shields are heavily polished and smooth, their surfaces quite reflective. They seem to absorb heat quite readily though, and when exposed to flame, they almost instantly become unbearably hot. Occasionally, even a light touch to their surface will also produce a shocking effect, likely due to their extreme smoothness. Such shields are difficult to manage, requiring much of one's attention.

Statistics:
AC Bonus [+3]
Damage Vulnerability : Electrical [50% Damage Vulnerability]
Damage Vulnerability : Fire [50% Damage Vulnerability]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Concentration [-2]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Search [-2]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Spot [-2]
Material [Silver]
Material [Steel]
Material [Wood, Pine]

Appearance:
iashto_041

Total Item Cost:

Item Name:  Corvian Helm
Item Type: Helmet

Description:  At one point well known for its artisans and craftsmen, Corvia is one of Darkon's most striking settlements. Natural volcanic formations that have eroded into spires of glassy black stone vary in height from only a few feet to nearly two hundred feet at the heart of the city, presenting a unique sight. Nestled amongst the spires, and indeed, hollowed out into them, early dwarven settlers did construct warehouses, workshops, and homes, stretching into the sky.

Many raw materials traded along the once prosperous roads of Il Aluk before the Requiem highlighted the masterful skill of the dwarves in many pieces, including helms like these.

Wrought out of heavy steel, and trimmed with bronze weaved amongst the helm's visor, they are remarkable pieces, though somewhat restrictive to quick movement. Reinforced by several padded layers of the finest leathers, and silk, they do fine work at absorbing the blows of weapons such as maces or hammers.

Statistics:
AC Bonus vs. Damage Type : Bludgeoning [+3]
Damage Resistance :Bludgeoning [Amount: 1]
Decreased Saving Throws: Specific: Reflex [-2]
Material [Steel]
Material [Bronze]
Material [Leather]
Material [Silk]

Appearance:
helm_028
Metal 1 : Dark Steel
Metal 2 : Dark Gold

Total Item Cost:

Item Name: Medallion of the Grasses
Item Type: Amulet

Description:  Vague tales suggest that amulets such as these were used by sects of reclusive monster hunters in a realm beyond the Mists in order to increase their sensitivity to magical beasts or illusions of the arcane. Whilst it is difficult to discern as to if this is indeed one of such fabled artifacts, it does seem to hum very softly and emit a small amount of heat when in the presence of the arcane. 

Silver medallions of this sort are very well detailed, displaying an artistic depiction of an animal, generally.

Statistics:
Arcane Spell Failure [+5%]
Skill Bonus : Search [+2]
Skill Bonus : Spellcraft [+2]
Skill Bonus : Use Magic Device [+2]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Move Silently [-2]
Material [Silver]

Appearance:
iit_neck_089

Total Item Cost:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:13:41 AM by Dumas »

Pav

• Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
Some mid-tier rogue items.

Manual of Mechanisms
Fashion Accessory

Appearance
Top 1/1
Mid 9/3
Bottom 1/1

Skill Bonus: Disable Trap +3
Material: Paper
Use Limitation Class: Rogue

This book contains a theoretical knowledge and practical advice on the design and disarmament of almost any trap conceivable. Its dense verbage and complicated diagrams means it is only of use to people with some understanding of such mechanisms already.

Manual of Mechanisms, 2nd Edition
Fashion Accessory

Appearance
Top 1/1
Mid 9/3
Bottom 1/1

Skill Bonus: Disable Trap +5
Material: Paper

This book contains a theoretical knowledge and practical advice on the design and disarmament of almost any trap conceivable. Its dense verbage and complicated diagrams means it is only of use to people with some understanding of such mechanisms already. This version is the 2nd, updated edition; 'Now with 101 MORE uses for pressure plates.'

Lesser Boots of Muffling
Boots

Appearance
Top 1/1
Mid 4/1
Bottom 3/3

Skill Bonus Hide +2
Skill Bonus Move Silently +3
Material: Leather

These calfskin boots are soft and supple to the touch. They bear a minor enchantment which deadens the wearer's footsteps. They also, remarkably, seem to leave no footsteps behind, but whether this is by happy accident or design is unclear.

Greater Boots of Muffling
Boots

Appearance
Top 1/1
Mid 4/1
Bottom 3/3

Skill Bonus Hide +3
Skill Bonus Move Silently +4

These calfskin boots are soft and supple to the touch. They bear a minor enchantment which deadens the wearer's footsteps. They also, remarkably, seem to leave no footsteps behind, but whether this is by happy accident or design is unclear.

Lesser Cloak of the Chameleon
Cloak

Appearance
Ragged

Skill Bonus Hide +3
Material: Hide

This cloak is made from a soft reptile leather which changes colour to match the wearer's environment, making them harder to see. What manner of beast was slain to harvest such a miraculous material doesn't bare thinking about.

Greater Cloak of the Chameleon
Cloak

Appearance
Ragged

Skill Bonus Hide +4
Material: Hide

This cloak is made from a soft reptile leather which changes colour to match the wearer's environment, making them harder to see. What manner of beast was slain to harvest such a miraculous material doesn't bare thinking about.

Lesser Safecracker Ring
Ring

Appearance

Skill Bonus Listen +1
Skill Bonus Open Lock +2
Material: Brass

This ingenious ring was designed by an enterprising, but absent-minded gnomish tinkerer. She was always forgetting the combinations to the many safes in which she housed her most precious inventions, so she invented these rings so she could break into them easier. Unfortunately for her, it never occured they could be used by other, less honest folk, to rob her of her life's work.

Greater Safecracker Ring
Ring

Appearance

Skill Bonus Listen +2
Skill Bonus Open Lock +3
Material: Brass

This ingenious ring was designed by an enterprising, but absent-minded gnomish tinkerer. She was always forgetting the combinations to the many safes in which she housed her most precious inventions, so she invented these rings so she could break into them easier. Unfortunately for her, it never occured they could be used by other, less honest folk, to rob her of her life's work.

Filcher's Flighty Friends
Glove

Appearance

Skill Bonus Pick Pocket +3
Use Limitation Class Rogue

These gloves bear a minor enchantment which cause small objects, such as coins and gems, to be ineoriably drawn towards the wearer's hands.. almost as if they 'wish' to be stolen. This, at least, was the justification of the original owner, who swiftly lost his hands after being caught-out once too often. Since he no longer had any need for his collection, and deprived of his source of income, he was forced to sell them on.

Filcher's Trusty Friends
Glove

Appearance

Skill Bonus Pick Pocket +5

These gloves bear a minor enchantment which cause small objects, such as coins and gems, to be ineoriably drawn towards the wearer's hands.. almost as if they 'wish' to be stolen. This, at least, was the justification of the original owner, who swiftly lost his hands after being caught-out once too often. Since he no longer had any need for his collection, and deprived of his source of income, he was forced to sell them on.

Lesser Nocturnal Cowl
Helmet

Appearance

Skill Bonus Hide +2
Skill Bonus Search +1
Material: Cloth

This grey hood is of uncertain providence, having originated beyond the realm of the Mists. Some say it was stolen from an evil goddess of shadow and trickery by the greatest thief to have ever lived, though if true, its power must have waned over the ages. Others say it is nothing but simple enchanted cloth. Either way, it aids the wearer in going unnoticed.

Greater Nocturnal Cowl
Helmet

Appearance

Skill Bonus Hide +3
Skill Bonus Search +2
Material: Cloth

This grey hood is of uncertain providence, having originated beyond the realm of the Mists. Some say it was stolen from an evil goddess of shadow and trickery by the greatest thief to have ever lived, though if true, its power must have waned over the ages. Others say it is nothing but simple enchanted cloth. Either way, it aids the wearer in going unnoticed.

While those are all fantastic additions in my eyes, I would have a greater gap in value between the lesser and greater versions to justify their existence, more than just +1 in skill adjustments. It would make the lesser versions, in a small amount of time, become vendor trash, as the greater ones are not that much rarer in the loot table due to their close values.

If a dev decides to implement any of these, take that under consideration.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »
Inquisitor, thanks for the suggestions. I'd like you to explain why you feel these should be added to the module though.

From my point of view, there are already a large array of stealth gear allowing to bring both Hide and Move Silently skills to stellar levels. How would the module benefit from raising them even further? Same for the disable device items. It would only serve to make some dungeons easier to go through, I am not convinced at all that would be good for the module.
Best Regards!
MAB

Pav

• Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
Inquisitor, thanks for the suggestions. I'd like you to explain why you feel these should be added to the module though.

From my point of view, there are already a large array of stealth gear allowing to bring both Hide and Move Silently skills to stellar levels. How would the module benefit from raising them even further? Same for the disable device items. It would only serve to make some dungeons easier to go through, I am not convinced at all that would be good for the module.

...There really isn't a large array of them. They have become so rare and so difficult to acquire that stealth dependent characters in their mid teens still don't have basic accoutrements. Many items that are supposedly still in the game haven't dropped in close to years.

You said yourself in the Discord, that if people strongly believe that there isn't enough rogue gear in the loot tables or in circulation, such items should be submitted.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »

Stealth gear is less common because we have much more available loot then we used to. To have more stealth loot come up, we would need more stealth gear in the loot table. You can always help with that by giving item suggestion in this thread :)
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.0

There also isn't a good even spread of stealth gear. There are +1 or +2 items, or the rare endgame items. Not a whole lot in between, which is what he covers. Especially for boots and cloak items. The belt and chest pieces are pretty uncommon, but the boot and cloak slots are in dire need of more mid-tier options that actually drop.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
You said yourself in the Discord, that if people strongly believe that there isn't enough rogue gear in the loot tables or in circulation, such items should be submitted.

Of course, and it is a good thing it's done, but I will still play the devil's advocate and question everything, always with the goal of coming with the best solution possible in the end.
Best Regards!
MAB

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »

Hi!
It is my understanding that there is little to no mid-tier Rogue gear (+2-4 bonuses). This has led to massive price inflation in the player-to-player market for high-tier Rogue items (Those of +5 to +6).

The selection of items I submitted fit into that middle category, with the intention of filling what I perceive to be a gap in the loot table, with particular reference to stealth gear.

Regarding the Open Lock and Disable Trap items, yes indeed they would make some dungeons easier to get through. Open Lock and Disable Trap are signature skills for the Rogue, and opening locks and disabling traps are an important function they fulfil in dungeons on this server. These Rogue-only items are intended to makes rogues better and what they should be doing best, elevating their usefulness and desirability for groups above characters with cross-classed skills and spells.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
Don't forget to include weaknesses to your items too. A good balanced items has a few drawbacks as much as strengths. A +2 here, should mean a -1 there in return. Ideally in skills that are both useful at the same time.

//Edited: I can accept a +2 item without drawbacks. But anything +3 or more should have some weaknesses too. That is just my personal view though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:11:54 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
The items are already well below their value threshold, why do they need additional negatives?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »
It's not so much for their gold value, but their impact in game.

Also because adding different weaknesses allows to include more items of the same type and allow more gear customization options to players.

If I add only a +3 hide belt. Everyone will want just that belt. If I add a +3 Hide/-1 parry, +3 Hide/-1 tumble, +3 Hide/-1 discipline. Already it gives us 3 options and insures not everyone is wearing the exact same gear. And they will drop more often too, cause their value is lower.
Best Regards!
MAB

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »

They key words here are stellar levels. It is true that we already have potent stealth gear that is extremely rare or simply not present in the loot tables at all. (The Cloak of Elven Kind, Abber Moccasins, Cape of Silence.) Player Characters are likely to never see or hear of these items and much less posses them- The stuff of myth. 

Beneath this we have the "high-tier" items. Bonus are in the +5 range. Included are the Belt of the Ebon Tiger, Belt of the Desert Cat, Hectors Wary Tread, and the Greater Mantle of the Forest Walker. PC's can hope to have these towards the end of their characters career. You might not have them but odds are you know someone who does. They may appear at auction from time to time and run a PC 200k-500k.

Then there are the Belt of the Wraith and the Cape of the Night. These have the skill bonuses to be inline with "mid-tier" items (+3-4), however, they are bloated with spell charges making their value and higher than those listed above. Yes, the 3/3 belt with spell charges is rarer the 5/5 belt. These items should either have their charges removed or comparable items added without them to fill this gap.

Mid-tier items. "Ilynadrathyl's Grandeur" This one is great- I've only seen it come from Sithicus sadly, might just be my experience. Stalker's/Sniper's Short Bow are Prefect. There are no belts/capes/books/helm that other wise fit in here. It encompasses a huge portion of a characters life span and is woefully lacking.

Beneath this we have the starter items. +1-2 hoods available from merchants. +1-2 hide capes available from merchants. Mantle of the Forest Walker. Cat's Walk boots.

This list isn't exhaustive but represents a fairly accurate portrait of the types of gear a stealther could expect to come across. With in it you'll see that there is a rather large gulf between what one could expect to find for sale in the Outskirts and what one will find at an RVT auction. A middle ground needs be to made. We're not raising the ceiling any higher- simply building a ladder to it from the ground. Players love finding gear and I think having some more mid tier items will allow then to flesh out their character's skills at several points during their life span. Cosmic's suggestions go a long way towards accomplishing that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:56:55 PM by Philos »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
I just did a review of all stealth objects in the Rogue items loot table and I agree there is a lot of gaps that needs to be filled. I will work with The Inquisitor to adjust what he proposed, and add some new content as I see fit. (Inqui! Stay tuned for a coming private message).
Best Regards!
MAB

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Will we be seeing some of the proposed items in the thread at the time of the hack update?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »
Will we be seeing some of the proposed items in the thread at the time of the hack update?

Most likely.
Best Regards!
MAB

Barovian Beggar

• Outlander
  • Medieval Poverty Since 2005
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
Can we have craftable mauls?