Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 102178 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #300 on: July 05, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
Not sure if this is the right thread or not but the surgoen's apron in the Medical department doesn't provide any bonuses. One would imagine it would provide some heal. It also has the generic description instead of describing it as well a surgeon's outfit.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #301 on: July 05, 2021, 09:27:29 PM »
I noticed that the Haebstza gear gives disguise but not perform. Considering that Haebstza is a theatrical performance shouldn't the gear give perform in addition to disguise?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #302 on: July 05, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »
I noticed that the Haebstza gear gives disguise but not perform. Considering that Haebstza is a theatrical performance shouldn't the gear give perform in addition to disguise?

That’d just make it rarer.

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #303 on: July 05, 2021, 10:01:10 PM »
I'd be down for a rarer version that does both, to fit the IC.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #304 on: July 05, 2021, 10:40:17 PM »

Weren’t you clamoring for Disguise gear recently and complaining about it? Making it rarer just means there’ll be less of it. Not to mention a mask doesn’t make you a better performer.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #305 on: July 05, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
We don't need more duplicate items with minor differences, that just dilutes the tables.

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #306 on: July 06, 2021, 07:55:10 AM »

Weren’t you clamoring for Disguise gear recently and complaining about it? Making it rarer just means there’ll be less of it. Not to mention a mask doesn’t make you a better performer.

I meant adding a new rarer version in addition to what is there...I don't think I've "clamoured" or "complained" about a lack of disguise gear recently? Or why that means I can't post other opinions.

What I've been posting about is how it is bugged and needs feats that ignore the cap. Gear doesn't fix that or make it worse.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 07:59:45 AM by Hathor »

Favee

• Undead Master
« Reply #307 on: August 21, 2021, 04:53:29 AM »
Spoiler:  Handwraps of the Nuitari • show

Item name: Handwraps of the Nuitari
Type: Gloves
Appearance: iit_glove_099

Description: Sets of these silken wraps were made following the fall of the Black Rose by House Mystic, the arcane caste of Sithican grey elves in Sithicus.  They were said to have been created through soaking fine silks in the ichor of shadows and then leaving them to bask in the moonlight of the Nuitari, the dark moon of Sithicus, for three days and three nights.

In bright moonlight across the Core, these gloves gleam with a strange twilight hue that seems to war with shadows.  Though the shadow always seems close to swallowing the light whole, they never manage to do so.  Those that don these handwraps are onset with the Guilt of Sithicus where ever they may be, cursed with the slow buildup of sorrow and regret of their darkest memories for as long as they are worn.

Statistics:
Attack Bonus +1
Damage Bonus: Negative Energy 1d4 Damage
Damage Bonus: Positive Energy 2 Damage
Material Silk
Use Limitation: Alignment Group: Evil
Use Limitation: Alignment Group: Neutral

Cost: 6052

These looks good to me. There aren't many options for non-good aligned monks as far as the gauntlets go.  Or, at the very least, there are many many more options for good aligned.  The damage output and type seems on par with the other options I've seen as well.  Negative energy is better than bludgeoning, but that comes at the cost of using negative varnishes efficiently for endgame content.

Spoiler:  Girdle of Borbola • show

Item name: Girdle of Borbola
Type: Belt
Appearance: iit_belt_126

Description: This belt is rumored to have been made in the likeness of a Gundarakite heroine, Borbala of Gundarak.  Borbola is claimed to have led Gundarakite rebels against hordes of Strahd's forces.  When her people were finally caught and surrounded, Borbola stood her ground for her fellow Gundarakites to escape. 

Legends claim that she continued fighting for five days and five nights in a frenzy of rage, unable to be stopped.  That was until Count Strahd XI sent his nephew, Zladko von Zarovich, known by many as the Tyrant Mage, to slay her personally.

Her fellows managed to escape and tell the tale, though the humiliation suffered at the hands of the rebels led to the tale's recount being outlawed across Barovia.  After a mere five years, the legend was largely forgotten, though these belts can still sometimes be found.

Statistics:
Immunity: Damage Type: Bludgeoning 10% Immunity Bonus
Immunity: Damage Type: Piercing 10% Immunity Bonus
Immunity: Damage Type: Slashing 10% Immunity Bonus
Material Adamantine
Use Limitation: Class: Barbarian
Weight Increase 5 lbs. 15 lbs.

Cost: 7437

This belt seems really really good.  Mathematically its only more efficient than the DR belts once you're taking 60+ damage per hit.  (Hopefully you're not taking 60+ damage per hit!)  But if you're getting those resists from other sources it gets very powerful.  I think a malus might be needed beyond the increase in weight? Or just make it 50lbs and then no rogue, bard, or beguiler would ever look at it.

Discord: Favee#4934

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #308 on: August 21, 2021, 06:03:31 AM »
Just to point out, this is a barbarian belt, and barbarians already get (up to) 5/- damage resistance.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #309 on: August 21, 2021, 01:53:38 PM »
Just to point out, this is a barbarian belt, and barbarians already get (up to) 5/- damage resistance.

It also serves any class with UMD as well. This seems like the kind of thing that would be nice as a rare drop in the Sithicus loot pool.

-narwhal-

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2021, 06:58:18 AM »
Would be nice to add a new monk gloves with something like...

+1 vs undead
1d6 bludgenoning dmg

Thoughts ?

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2021, 08:17:02 AM »

+1 vs undead
1d6 bludgenoning dmg

Thoughts ?

Sounds kind of neat.  I haven't personally done an item suggestion, but I do think there are two threads for it. This thread, which is mean to discuss actually item suggestions made in this thread https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.0

There is some steps involved, which I think the first post in it details. One of them is making the item, and posting the value on it, to give developers an idea on the power level of it, but I'm not 100% on that. It could just be used as a measure for how rare such a thing would drop from whichever treasury it gets put in.

1d6 and the EB might put it on the high side of cost. I don't know first hand to say.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »

+1 vs undead
1d6 bludgenoning dmg

Thoughts ?

Sounds kind of neat.  I haven't personally done an item suggestion, but I do think there are two threads for it. This thread, which is mean to discuss actually item suggestions made in this thread https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.0

There is some steps involved, which I think the first post in it details. One of them is making the item, and posting the value on it, to give developers an idea on the power level of it, but I'm not 100% on that. It could just be used as a measure for how rare such a thing would drop from whichever treasury it gets put in.

1d6 and the EB might put it on the high side of cost. I don't know first hand to say.

You actually can get this equivalent already by crafting just fyi

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
Item name: Last Tune
Item name: Helm of the Whip
Item name: Hunter's Cap
Item name: The Ebbing Ring
Item name: Waxen Wane

A few constructive criticisms

Last Tune
The item is absurdly powerful by virtue of granting a free epic level feat. Though there have certainly been exceptions, we strive to stay away from granting feats on items. We rather have players make character building choices in selecting feats. An epic level feat no less should be reserved to unique DM plot items. The protection against negative energy protections is way too high, it is also not required as we already have some choice items covering that sort of protection. The counterbalancing penalities are almost pointless, Spot isn't of any use in a battle and it is easy to toggle the amulet when not required. The -5 to concentration has more impacts, but does not balance the rest of the bonuses.

Also...
Quote from: Item Request Thread guidelines
Overly restrictive usability - Items that are only usable by one or a few classes or one specific alignment has a very narrow usergroup. This isn't ideal since it greatly reduce the potential diversity other classes experience. Therefore, try to limit the usage of these restrictions.

Class restricted items are better suited to foster interest in seldom used PrCs such as grimetrekker. This isn't an issue for blackguatds. A problem is also that they end up being of use to classes with UMD.

Helm of the Whip
Vampiric Regeneration is a weapon property. The item has to deal physical damage for the property to work. It is therefore pointless on a helm. I'd also tone down the piercing resistance to 3/- and keep the rest as is.

Hunter's Cap
Why should this item have all damages immunities for all physical damage type? This is to avoided as best as possible. You could instead divide those to have 3 different items. Thus granting options to players, but also forcing them to make choices. (We're keen on having players to make choices vs having blanket protections).

Decreased AC: AC Dodge Modifier -1
Immunity: Damage Type: Bludgeoning 5% Immunity Bonus
Saving Throw Bonus: Specific: Fortitude +1

Immunity: Damage Type: Piercing 5% Immunity Bonus
Saving Throw Bonus: Specific: Dexterity +1

Immunity: Damage Type: Slashing 5% Immunity Bonus
Saving Throw Bonus: Specific: Will +1

This is a better balance and I'd even consider raising the bonus to 10%. Reasonable bonuses for small a risk in battle.

The Ebbing Ring
It seems to me you have these high penalties only to bring down the cost on the item. We'd rather avoid items with such high penalties. I'm not even sure an item above 8k value ever drops anyway. And all that for a property that can readily be gained without penalties by using crafted potions. And don't ever forget to follow the instructions of the guideline about ability modifiers.

Quote from:  Item Request Thread guidelines
Item properties you should generally avoid:

Ability Modifier - Starting to bring in ability modifiers is opening the gates to a mayhem of imbalances, exploits etc. An example workaround could be that instead of giving a +1 to charisma to represent aesthetic value, you can give a +1 influence/perform.

Waxen Wane
Again, I suggest that you avoid items that give such high bonuses to too many skills at the same time. Especially Appraise which makes no sense here. The use of a head model as a helm would also be rather arkward in game. I just imagine the row of Petre's customers putting on a mask to get better prices. By decreasing the amount of bonuses you give you will also avoid the need for over the top maluses. I would likely make this item different than a mask, which should logically be a one shot item. I would instead have this item give a bonus to disguise with a penality to influence. As it is now, it won't be considered for the treasuries.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:30:26 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Dardonas

« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2021, 10:57:33 AM »
-snip-

The vampiric regen helmet was tweaked a bit when I double checked that property and saw my mistake.  I'll make some tweaks to the items with the guidelines you've given. 

As for spell resist on the ring, I felt that some additional spell resist items wouldn't hurt especially given the reason you mentioned with potions being more or less readily available.

Thanks for the critique.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #315 on: October 06, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
Item name: Staff of the Ancient Alienist
Item name: Ring of the Apprentice Necromancer
Item name: Ring of the Arch Necromancer
Item name: The Master’s Ring

While I'm open to suggestions for a greater variety of staves for wizards, the very last thing we need is to grant high level ones even more spell slots. We also already made sure there is a decent amount of spell slot items for all spellcasting classes. Which doesn't imply they should be common mind you.

To repeat what I said to Dardonnas, while there has been exceptions in the past, unless there is crying game balance need for it, we do try to avoid having free feats on items. We are already granting players more feats than in PnP, and want players to use them to make character building choices. It is doubly bad to have them on rings as this mean any player could have 2 free necromancy feats without any investments whatsoever.

Rule of thumb, avoid any suggestions involving free spell slots or feats. If you do, do explain why you feel that would be necessary.
Best Regards!
MAB

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #316 on: October 06, 2021, 10:48:20 PM »
Item name: Staff of the Ancient Alienist
Item name: Ring of the Apprentice Necromancer
Item name: Ring of the Arch Necromancer
Item name: The Master’s Ring

While I'm open to suggestions for a greater variety of staves for wizards, the very last thing we need is to grant high level ones even more spell slots. We also already made sure there is a decent amount of spell slot items for all spellcasting classes. Which doesn't imply they should be common mind you.

Currently, the wizard does not have its equal in high-level spell slot items, like this, the stat arrangement of the staff is just a copy of the Staff of the Red Warmage, not to mention the recent Beguiler items, wizard lack anything comparable in the current content to these high-level items. This item seeks to address this discrepancy while creating a greater variety of staves for wizards.

To repeat what I said to Dardonnas, while there has been exceptions in the past, unless there is crying game balance need for it, we do try to avoid having free feats on items. We are already granting players more feats than in PnP, and want players to use them to make character building choices. It is doubly bad to have them on rings as this mean any player could have 2 free necromancy feats without any investments whatsoever.

Rule of thumb, avoid any suggestions involving free spell slots or feats. If you do, do explain why you feel that would be necessary.

These specific feats should be considered in their context, as they are underutilized and don't really have a place within the current content. A combination of the undead feats fit into few if any builds, summons, and specifically undead are anemic at the best of times. The feat investment is better spent elsewhere, the only way for the most part that they are going to be shown case successfully in my opinion is through items.

These feats at times seem like noob traps, even with the entire suite of them from Bolster Resistance, to Nimble Bones you are not going to see a skeleton fighting in a party after a certain point in the content even when role-play allows it, the feats are simply not used. And on such an unforgiving server where the content is designed for fully warded parties, they are far from optimal if not a death sentence.
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #317 on: October 06, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »
The wizard "does not have its equal in high-level spell slot items" because it simply does not require it. It's already the most powerful class out there.

I fundamentally disagree with your notion that taking a necromancy feat, even if only for flavor, is a death trap. Optimal efficiency is absolutely not required to enjoy this server nor to have a successful character. Wizards especially are granted a significant amount of spellcasting bonus feats allowing for customizing a character without impacting efficiency. Clearly you see value in the feat anyway since you propose to have it on an item. That a feat is better used at lower levels doesn't make it useless either. Granting a feat on item on the perception that no one would take it anyway is the worse of reasons to grant them in the first place. In doing so you absolutely guarantee no one will ever take it period.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 11:25:20 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2021, 02:14:53 PM »
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg709007#msg709007

The idea here is to open up Disguise spells to non-UMD/certain casters, since right now I believe the spells aren't available as expendables except in scroll form.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »

The idea here is to open up Disguise spells to non-UMD/certain casters, since right now I believe the spells aren't available as expendables except in scroll form.
neat item and I like it, but why would it mention Barovia which doesn't have a theater tradition in contrast to Borca, Richemulot, or Hazlan and other domains, in addition to dementlieu :)

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #320 on: October 19, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »

neat item and I like it, but why would it mention Barovia which doesn't have a theater tradition in contrast to Borca, Richemulot, or Hazlan and other domains, in addition to dementlieu :)

Because both of the areas mentioned are accessible in game and it gives it a little more realistic flare?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #321 on: October 19, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »
Yes, the list wasn't meant to be exhaustive, happy to have someone reply and expand the description. Someone pointed out to me that a kit that grants Disguise Self already exists in game. That being said, those had fewer charges and didn't offer Minor Disguise as well, so I hope a stronger variant will also be considered...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2021, 06:54:24 PM »
From the request thread: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg709859#msg709859

The purpose of this item is to provide an alternative to the "priest" classes, many of whom feel pigeonholed into building for melee or wearing plate all the time because nothing better exists. It's for the divine casters that focus on casting support spells and healing in combat and are not concerned with having the best melee stats. Its negatives may not seem severe, but it weighs 5 lbs. so carrying it around is a sacrifice on its own.

Any of these classes staying out of melee and relying purely on healing have few assignments in combat but they need to be quick when they do intervene, since damage is so spiky. This item could help them rely on being hasted a little less, which is hardly guaranteed for a non-melee character in a party, especially at lower levels.

I tried to get the price to the point it would not be rare, so lower levels might be able to find it in loot or for sale. Not a lot of interesting or playstyle-defining loot at low levels, so I'm going to post some more soon when I finish them.

Favored Soul is only not included because it's not out yet. I'll leave it up to the devs to decide if they can wear it too.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »
Since it is for the priestly class, is there a particular religion or deity or where it is from that provides a tiny bit of lore to it?  :)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »
The caster cleric is a perfectly viable and powerful built already.
This item's main power is way too powerful for much to low a cost, this one would quickly be common among the priesthood.
As per the guidelines, it is recommended to avoid ability score modifiers.
I strongly suggest never to add feats on items, unless to address a particular deficiency with the class. Clerics beings highly versatile there is no deficiencies to address here.
We strive to avoid items with too many penalties on them, if you need that many to drive the cost low, then it's a good indicator the item is probably too strong to begin with.
We want items that provide flavor to the setting, not the next technological advance in the arms race.
Clerics that wish to cast faster are invited to take the quicken spell feat.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:55:25 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB