Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 100661 times)

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2020, 02:57:35 PM »
Sacred Symbol:

A holy symbol imbued with divine power which acts as an amplifier of some clerical powers and hardens the will. The wielder can feel confidence and absolute trust in their deity while presenting the Sacrid Symbol, however such faith can be dangerous when it suppresses normal caution.

Charisma Bonus +2
Will save: +2
AC -4
Reflex-2
Use Restriction: cleric

Note: I know we don’t usually see ability score boosts, but in this case, clerics don’t prepare spells with charisma and you have to be holding a holy symbol out to gain the advantage of increased healing/duration on the “turn undead” feats. So that means no shield. It would be a significant vulnerability for a small boost in turn undead, and the sacred feats like purification and sacrid healing. I don’t think there are a ton of other mechanical things associated to charisma for clerics. Could be a cool item for healers and vampire RP.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:03:17 PM by Hypatia »

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2020, 03:02:39 PM »
Sacred Symbol:

A holy symbol imbued with divine power which acts as an amplifier of some clerical powers and hardens the will. The wielder can feel confidence and absolute trust in their deity while presenting the Sacrid Symbol, however such faith can be dangerous when it suppresses normal caution.

Charisma Bonus +2
Will save: +2
AC -4
Reflex-2
Use Restriction: cleric

Note: I know we don’t usually see ability score boosts, but in this case, clerics don’t prepare spells with charisma and you have to be holding a holy symbol out to gain the advantage of increased healing/duration on the “turn undead” feats. So that means no shield.

Use restriction can be easily avoided thanks to UMD, and the class which could use extra charisma AND has UMD is bard. So, in general we would see this item used most likely by them.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
The module has a no ability boost items policy, and an extra round of duration seems like it is simply not worth it for the maluses being suggested. A Cleric's Will save is already her highest, and Reflex her lowest; the use of this item would be a purely mechanical disadvantage and violation of the server's current vision.

A better idea would be a holy symbol holdable with the feat "Sacred Healing" attached to it with a Will save malus.

Use restriction can be easily avoided thanks to UMD, and the class which could use extra charisma AND has UMD is bard. So, in general we would see this item used most likely by them.

A Bard would not spend a round to use this item, as they do not gain any benefit from the +2 Charisma aside from the marginal boost to Perform - even use of Divine Might or Shield in combat for other Divine classes would see you waste a round equipping your weapon, thus prove redundant.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
Great....

Is there a way to avoid UMW?

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »

A Bard would not spend a round to use this item, as they do not gain any benefit from the +2 Charisma aside from the marginal boost to Perform - even use of Divine Might or Shield in combat for other Divine classes would see you waste a round equipping your weapon, thus be redundant.

My mistake, you're absolutely right.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
Well whether its worth it or not is a matter of opinion; Focused healers or anyone having a contest of will with a AMPC vampire would probably find it very useful. But people who want to use it for mechanical advantage in combat surely wouldn't. Whatever bonuses a bard might get would probably go away because of the -4 AC. The minuses are an RP effect of having too much faith for self preservation while using the thing.

Saying there's no point to a will boost since a cleric is already good at will is like saying there's no use to a +2 sword for a fighter since his AB is already high. I've been in lots of life or death situation where opposed will checks with a vampire were called for. Really the item is an RP thing more than anything. The Charisma bonus just represents a boost in your confidence. I know there are some rare ability boost items out there, this one would be a pretty harmless one since it can't assist in spell preparation and really only benefits a pretty limited niche; giving a little extra healing with the sacred feats.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:25:58 PM by Hypatia »

Pav

• Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »
Well whether its worth it or not is a matter of opinion;

Usually not the case for discussions surrounding numerical values.

Saying there's no point to a will boost since a cleric is already good at will is like saying there's no use to a +2 sword for a fighter since his AB is already high.

AB on a weapon serves more than adding AB to your character sheet, but also to piercing damage reduction - there is a point where will save becomes redundant (whereas AB never does), especially in the case of your argument with the contest of wills against a vampire, and a cleric reaches it quickly - quicker with other items that are already existent in the module.

Unfortunately, I do not see the benefit of adding this item to the game, even without the Charisma attribute advantage. I would like it as an item that confers Sacred Healing as a way to follow your original point of extending its duration, instead offering it to clerics who might not want to spend the feat.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »
There's universal save items and even a legacy/super rare item that goes up to +3, along with individual save items that go up to +3, without any penalties, so a +2 will save without any apparent penalties is fine enough imo.

An increase in will could also translate to an increase in stubborness, if you wanted to penalize that.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »
Usually not the case for discussions surrounding numerical values.
There are several dedicated healers who stand back and heal. In our opinions, boosting the HP gained with the sacred feats is absolutely worth mechanical disadvantage since dedicated healers often stay out of battle. An item like this is niche, and may not seems useful or "worth it" to you, but taking a will penalty for stealth would seem pretty useless an mechanically unviable to my healer. Hence why it's a matter of opinion I guess?

AB on a weapon serves more than adding AB to your character sheet, but also to piercing damage reduction - there is a point where will save becomes redundant (whereas AB never does), especially in the case of your argument with the contest of wills against a vampire, and a cleric reaches it quickly - quicker with other items that are already existent in the module.

I've had opposed will checks with vastly more powerful vampires who also have extremely high will saves. At no point does it seem "redundant" to me to ramp up my odds of survival against enemies who are also ramping up their will saves with items and feats. Overcoming AC with AB is no different than this. Some people build their PCs to have high AC or AB; some to have high mental strength. What you consider "redundant" someone else may consider a cornerstone of who their PC is. I don't know how those are valid arguments against something like this.

A Holy symbol that boosts your confidence, will power and magnifies your sacred powers seems like a no-brainer to me. Its cannon, its not OP, and for some, it would be a very handy item to have for RP and healing/turning. Is it needed? Absolutely not. But neither is anything else in this thread.

note: I prefer not to see a item that gives the Sacred Healing feat. That feat requires quite a bit of investment to get, and its in part, what separates a healing cleric from a combat machine cleric. To me the idea of a combat machine cleric getting that by equipping an item takes away from healing clerics who give up front line ability (to one degree or another) to be good support.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:29:49 PM by Hypatia »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2020, 05:46:14 PM »
I don't see a combat cleric surviving combat with that thing equipped. 4 AC is life and death and their reflex is low enough that they eat a lot of AOE damage even with reflex feats. Using Sacred Healing right before every engagement and then swapping it out would be incredibly annoying too.

If anything, it should provide Sacred Boost. Then you only need the first two feats, and you can save a feat for something else. I also assume an item providing a prerequisite feat doesn't allow you to choose the feats it unlocks, so the item would be kind of superfluous by the time you have all the Sacred healer line feats.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
Hey all, friendly reminder this is the discussion thread. Try to post your submission here https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.msg649104#msg649104 first.  It's also important to include the item value when making a submission as this may provide our dev team and your peers clues as to how "powerful" an item may be and how often it may pop up in chests. If you're unsure how get item value or setup a mini module with the PotM haks I'd read the "Read before Posting" bit at the start of the thread or ask for assistance in the Discord. 

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2020, 07:02:12 PM »
Sardine the point is the item is for healing/support clerics to get a boost to healing while they are supporting the fighters, not for combat clerics to use. It’s not meant to be a combat augment, it’s meant to be a small healing and will boost to dedicated healers who stay out of combat. The last thing clerics need is more combat boosts.  I’m really against combat clerics getting sacred healing with an item. It’s job creep into a healers niche and to get those heals they should have to sacrifice combat feats.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
Yeah, the way I'm looking at it, the healers can burn one less feat to get all three in that line, instead of combat clerics getting something "for free" (they would never use the item in the first place, but just in case).
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2020, 08:02:55 PM »
Exactly that. I doubt this would be any use to anyone but a dedicated healer, or someone who really likes the idea of holding vampires back with a holy symbol for RP purposes. For that niche, it would be amazing.

Making it give the Sacred Healing feat instead would make it useless to everyone, healers included, because unless I'm mistaken, you'd still have to take sacred healing in order to get Sacred Boost. The item will not relieve you of the need to get the prerequisite feat for that. So it would just be a redundant feat to anyone who might otherwise want the holy symbol.

Its the fact that its useless to everyone besides healer's that make it a good item to have a Charisma Boost. If there is a way to amplify the sacred feats without a Charisma bonus, that would be cool too, but I can't think of one.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2020, 08:19:23 PM »
Does the spell that gives ac for Clerics - shield of faith? - also work on offhands?  I know of the current holy symbol that has it, so if so a high lvl cleric could negate the AC loss.

The stat boost is still never going to pass.  That goes against item policy and that is never changing.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2020, 08:48:09 PM »
No it doesn’t. I’ve got a holy idol and it won’t take magic vestments

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »
Item Name: Bane of Vraja

Item Type: Ring

Description: The artifice of an enterprising barovian mage,his name lost to time. This ring channels the negative thoughts & emotions of Barovian Natives concerning Vraja into a metaphysical shield against spellwork.

While the ring -does- provide protection against pure magical force, it also had the unfortunate side-effect that the wielder would hear a cacophony of voices cussing them out if they attempted to cast any spell….

Statistics:
Arcane Spell Failure (+50%)
Damage Resistance : Magical (Amount : 3)

Cost: 303

I like the idea of the item and the ASF makes complete sense as a draw back, though, there are a few things that need to be fixed. Any resistance to magical damage makes you completely immune to bleed out and at a value of just 303 GP it would show it quite often. It would also provide more protection to people in ethereal jaunt and make you almost immune to the magic missile line of spells. It's gonna be tough to make this item fit in with PotM's systems in its current iteration.

Item Name:The Cleaver

Item Type: GreatAxe

Appearance:
Top: 25 (Color 1)
Middle:11 (Color 1)
Bottom:1 (Color 1)

Description: This axe of dwarven make burns with a fierey fury. Who-ever holds this weapon would be possessed of a need to cleave, an act which the Axe gleefully supports. Sadly, this magically induced bloodlust does make it hard to care about any weaponry coming your way, your sight only set on bodies, blood and glory...

Statistics:
Bonus Feat : Cleave
Bonus Feat : Great Cleave
Decreased AC : AC Dodge Modifier (-2)

Cost: 6758

Item Name:Big Stick

Item Type: Greatsword

Appearance:
Top: 1 (Color 3)
Middle:21 (Color 1)
Bottom:21 (Color 2)

Description: At first sight, this seems to be a big wooden stick shaped like a sword. On closer inspection, however, the shiny gleam of metal becomes more apparent. Strangely enough, the blade is far heavier than it looks, it's weight making it an effective bludgeon. Better walk softly while carrying it.....

Statistics:
Damage Bonus : Bludgeoning (2 Damage)
Extra Melee Damage type : Bludgeoning
Matrerial : Iron
Weight Increase : (Amount : 15 lbs)

Cost: 3218

I'm getting strong Leaper references from Darkest Dungeon right now.  Stats and penalties makes sense. You could even consider upping the dice to d4 to make it a little more competitive.

Item Name:The Unerring Dullness

Item Type: Dagger

Appearance:
Top: 18 (Color 1)
Middle:1 (Color 1)
Bottom:1 (Color 1)

Description:
"I do not know who creates these 'daggers', but they're either the most ingenious prankster or the most buffoonish enchanter to walk the Core.

Yes, these broken blades have an unerring capability to find their intended targets.
Yes, these blades will hurt if they hit, regardless of whatever defenses your enemy may possess.

But the blade is so blunt, you're better off using it as a blunt instrument and even then, you better have the arm of an ogre to manage some hurt. And even then, it's barely effective.

Not to mention it gives the wielder an aura that compels anyone nearby to focus on them. Not exactly useful.

In fact, I dare say this is the most inefficient murdering tool I've ever seen.

I suppose it -could- be used to slowly, eventually murder someone, but why would anyone DO that? Torture, perhaps? Whips are far superior to such.

I'm close, though. Soon, I'll know who makes these things. I'll wrangle a proper enchantment out of this mess, or my name isn't J--"

-Research Document A23 of Jaqcues Cucchin, translated from High Mordentish. Found deceased in his home, with numerous bruises; internal or otherwhise.

Statistics:
Attack Bonus : +3
Damage Bonus : Positive Energy (Amount : 1)
Decreased Damage : -5
Decreased Skill Modifier : Hide (-6)
Decreased Skill Modiefier : Move Silently (-6)
Extra Melee Damage Type : Bludgeoning

Cost: 5706

I'm a little confused by this item. I'm really not sure who it's for or who would use it and your item description seems to imply the same. Could you provide a little more detail about how you think this item would be used?

Item Name:The Caliban Wall

Item Type: Tower Shield

Appearance:
Iashto_151

Description:

"Throw thyself on The Wall and be repulsed. My weight. My girth. It is my shield." - Unknown Caliban Knight

Statistics:
Decreased Attack Modifier : -2
Immunity Damage type : Bludgeoning (10%)
Immunity Damage type : Piercing (10%)
Immunity Damage type : Slashing (10%)
Weight Increase : (Amount : 15 lbs)

Cost: 2147

The item value is too low for the strength that 10% physical immunity provides. I like the idea of shields with protection from damage as much as avoiding it though. Consider maybe DR 1 or 2 and the reevaluate the attack penalties. There it would be a slight step down from an adamantine shield and a bit more competitive.   

Item Name:Cactus Rod

Item Type: Club

Appearance:
Top: 2 (Color 3)
Middle:1 (Color 1)
Bottom:4 (Color 2)

Description: The early work of an druid apprentice, this piece of wood is fairly pointy, to the point that one could fairly easily poke a few holes into some deserving target. Alas, as the cactus it was inspired by, this thing is pointy all over. Wielding it is quite literally a pain…..

Statistics:
Damage Bonus : Piercing (Amount : 1d4)
Decreased Attack Modifier : -1
Decreased Skill Modifier (Concentration : -2)
Material : Wood

Cost: 626

Clubs are a bit under represented and lack some good options. I think the penalties are unneeded and the item value is far too low. Consider removing the attack penalty perhaps and extra melee damage type: piercing.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2020, 01:49:27 PM »
The cleaver looks really neat, and I love the name. Maybe it should be an actual cleaver though? So Like a handaxe?

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2020, 09:08:11 PM »
I made a few changes to the weapons and items, modified the posting.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2020, 12:58:20 AM »

Thank you for the time you put in this. Here are my observations.

Damage resistance properties should be on protective devives, not on weapons. Magic Damage Resistance is something extremely powerful. Magic DR 5/- would negate a lot of damage and grant a tremendous advantage in PvP. The arcane spell failure penalty is mostly inconsequential for most and drops the item value at a price that'd make it a somewhat common drop.

Item Name: The Great Cleaver

We usually avoid granting free feats through items. That's a huge balance issue on its own for abilities a player should invest in if he wants them. Granting two on a single item, unthinkable.

I'd have to check around but I think we already have a few weapons in game that deal different types of physical damage. That would not add much to the game.

See comment above in regards to the extra blunt damage from a dagger. Consider that we already keep +2 ab weapons as rare as possible, adding a +3 AB one is really unlikely, even with the proposed damage penalty. I don't mind a +1 positive energy damage bonus on a weapon, but the other penalties are meaningless. They would not be a factor whenever a player actually uses the dagger in battle. 

The decreased attack modifier is meaningless as you can't attack with the shield itself. The penalty would not apply to your weapon attacks.
I would not make the shield AC +1 if it provides DR. Nor would I have the 3 types of DR on a same item for balance issues. You should expand further on the description of your items and not make them comical one liners. New items should serve to expand the lore of Ravenloft and the D&D multiverse in general, or to tell a suitably gothic horror story to enrich the atmosphere of the game.

Redundant. Some weapons already deal multiple type of damages at once without the hassle of that penalty.

Item Name:Rainbow Gloves

Have yet to review those.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2020, 02:58:17 AM »

Thank you for the time you put in this. Here are my observations.

Damage resistance properties should be on protective devives, not on weapons. Magic Damage Resistance is something extremely powerful. Magic DR 5/- would negate a lot of damage and grant a tremendous advantage in PvP. The arcane spell failure penalty is mostly inconsequential for most and drops the item value at a price that'd make it a somewhat common drop.

Item Name: The Great Cleaver

We usually avoid granting free feats through items. That's a huge balance issue on its own for abilities a player should invest in if he wants them. Granting two on a single item, unthinkable.

I'd have to check around but I think we already have a few weapons in game that deal different types of physical damage. That would not add much to the game.

See comment above in regards to the extra blunt damage from a dagger. Consider that we already keep +2 ab weapons as rare as possible, adding a +3 AB one is really unlikely, even with the proposed damage penalty. I don't mind a +1 positive energy damage bonus on a weapon, but the other penalties are meaningless. They would not be a factor whenever a player actually uses the dagger in battle. 

The decreased attack modifier is meaningless as you can't attack with the shield itself. The penalty would not apply to your weapon attacks.
I would not make the shield AC +1 if it provides DR. Nor would I have the 3 types of DR on a same item for balance issues. You should expand further on the description of your items and not make them comical one liners. New items should serve to expand the lore of Ravenloft and the D&D multiverse in general, or to tell a suitably gothic horror story to enrich the atmosphere of the game.

Redundant. Some weapons already deal multiple type of damages at once without the hassle of that penalty.

Item Name:Rainbow Gloves

Have yet to review those.

In order:

1) Bane of Vraja
The problem being that protective items stay on your body, hence why it would prevent bleeding out. Also, The arcane spell failure penalty doesn't actually -lower- the cost if it increases the arcane spell failure.

The idea being that the club is a weapon that all peasants can use (it being a simple weapon), which is infused with malicious energy of angry spirits.

DR 5 is a bit too much, though, yes, but otherwhise, the cost would be even lower. Still, with some extra attributes, I shored up the cost, making it a rarer weapon.

DR 2 is much better, in hindsight, as it merely blunts the likes of Isaac's Greater Missile Storm, instead of nearly negating it.

2)The Cleavers

That's fair, I guess. I erased these two, and might opt to invent a cursed axe or such.

3)Big Stick

There IS the Forfarian Claymore, but that only gives Extra Damage type : Bludgeon. This was intended to be an upgrade to the weapon. I guess one could just implement an upgraded version of that, called Weighted Forfarian Claymore, if they want to build on existing items.

4)The Unerring Dullness

The weapon is both an homage to the very inefficient murderer and a sort of lethal joke item courtesy of the Dark Powers, but it's clear it's unwelcome. Deleted.

5)The Caliban Wall

It wasn't intended to be a comical statement, unless this accidentally alludes to some sort of american culture thing?

The comment about expanding on the history is noted, however. More grimdark, more gothic roots, I can do that.

As is the attack penalty. Shame it doesn't apply to the attack rolls...I'mma delete this item for now, maybe split the DR's up in differing shields? I'll check it over.

6)Cactus Rod

Same thing with the Big Stick. Yes, a club exists that gives extra damage type piercing, but nothing else this was intended to be a bonus.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »

This is a problematic position on many levels, so I'd not like it passed over and then become accepted "gospel" to be repeated whenever any item granting a feat comes up.

1)  Plenty of examples of gear contradict it, some of them with no maluses attached whatsoever.

2) At least one item grants two feats: Hector's Knuckle Duster (again, no associated malus).

3) Many, many items grant boons in excess of feats. Example: One amulet is +2 to universal saves, which is obviously better than Luck of Heroes (without any malus). Likewise, the feat Skill Focus is +3 to a single skill, so any item granting more than +3 in skill points would by the argument above be unbalanced.

4) Fighters receive more feats than any other class. It follows, therefore, that if feats are so disruptive to game balance, fighters should be the most powerful class, but few players would argue that to be true.

Feats are widely varying in their usefulness, and most depend on the character's class and build. Moreover, if a given feat's advantages cannot be balanced easily with maluses, then the feat itself is unbalanced, not the item granting it. (For the specific item and feat suggested, I am under the distinct impression that Great Cleave is not a feat most would take on POTM.)

During the time I've been on POTM, EO has added many new feats to grant player's more choices in their builds. Adding balanced items to the loot tables that grant these feats would seem to me an excellent and obvious way of freshening the loot with actually useful but not over-powered items.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:05 AM »

<...snip...>

Regardless of the more general stance towards feats, neither Cleave nor Great Cleave are particularly potent feats. Neither are ones I would ever consider getting in exchange for -2 AC. This axe may as well be named the Gremishka Carver.
Vicerimus Mortem.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
Background
I had some ideas for endgame items. Most of these items are based on a certain secretive npc group in the core that some will know of. My thoughts when creating these items, were that they could be unique to certain high level bosses and areas that are often said to not have enough loot. Looking at the mist dragon specifically.

Items:
Mysteries Item Series
1. Name:
Robe of Mysteries

Base Item:
Robe

Description:
These magical robes originate from somewhere within The Mists. They shimmer with a faint blue light whenever they are brought close to a creature with Arcane Talent. However whenever this condition is not met, the garments become dull and inert. An eight pointed blue star is embroidered on the robes' left breast.

Properties:
Light, blue, 10m
Universal Saving Throw Bonus +2
Use limitation: Sorcerer

Item Price:

2. Name:
Staff of Mysteries

Base Item:
Stave

Description:
This staff originates from somewhere within The Mists. While its exact origins are unknown, it is clear from its function that whoever made it was very interested in unraveling the secrets of the world. An eight pointed blue star is carved into base of the stave.

Properties:
Spellcraft bonus +6
Identify Item 1/day (or 50 uses).

Item Price:
3-5,000

General Items
3. Name:
Whispering Blade

Base Item:
Longsword or Shortsword.

Description:
This sword is inscribed with indecipherable silvery runes. Its blade hums with an eerie sound, that if one listens closely to, can be heard making out incomprehensible jabber in some unknown language. Any attempt to listen to the blade's message results in a chilling silence centered on the listener, that prevents any further study.

Properties:
Damage Bonus 1d4 sonic.
On Hit Silence DC 14 10% 4 rounds.

Item Price:

4. Name:
Wishful Thinking

Base Item:
Greatsword.

Description:
This ornate great sword originates from the outlander world of Toril, beyond The Mists. Legend has it that the blade is the result of a Djinni's Wish worded wrong. The creator of the blade dubbed 'Wishful Thinking', commissioned the creation of "a weapon so powerful and otherworldly, that its visage inspires fear". Thus the blade was forged; one so powerful that its presence inspires fear in its wielder, and one so otherworldly that it had no use on the battlefield it was made for.

Properties:
Attack bonus vs Outsider +3
Damage bonus vs Outsider +2d8
Damage bonuse Divine 1
Light, White, 5m
Decreased Saving Throws Fear: -6
Decreased Ability Score: -2 Wisdom
Class Restriction: Paladin, Cleric, Voodan.

Item Price:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:11:53 AM by tylernwn »

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
I like it, but it seems a bit much, even with the drawbacks.. There's certainly a risk to it with the damage weaknesses in.  I'm not the best at builds, and such, but what would the numbers look like with this equipped, and say....gobalski's, or brawler's belt? Hands of Dusk?  Same conditions, but a barbarian with uuuuuhhhhh....Blazing Berserker, I think the feat is called? Those are the situations I can think of off hand where folk try to make the most use of the proposed amulet.

Spoiler: show
Item Name: Death Covenant

Item Type: Amulet

Appearance : iit_neck_005

Description: This eerie necklaces seems to be made out of wires and shaped bones, a grimacing skull etched unto one particularly big piece. Legends say that long ago, an unknown outlander tried to bargain with Death itself, pleading to be given the strength of the undead. Sacrificing his firstborn, he was given this amulet.....But Death failed to mention the curse upon the amulet. For he who would indulge in unlife, would also share in their weaknesses.

The outlander was not long after slain by an errant fireball of one of his companions, the fire proving lethal. And so Death laughed at another soul gained.

Whether or not this tale has truth in it, various copies of the original bone necklace have been found around the core, and wielders cannot help but feel a faint chill on their backs when wearing one.....

As if watched by an anticipating force....?

Statistics:
Immunity : Damage Type Piercing (25%)
Immunity : Damage Type Slashing (25%)
Damage Vulnerability : Damage Type Fire (50%)
Damage Vulnerability : Damage Type Divine (50%)
Damage Vulnerability : Damage Type Bludgeoning (50%)
Material : Bone

Cost: 1751