You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Item Request Discussion Thread v2  (Read 100662 times)

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »
Item request thread: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=44496.0

Hey everyone... got an opinion on (a) requested item(s)?  Bring it here to discuss...

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Re: Item Request Discussion Thread v2
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:21:40 PM »
For the item suggestion thread, can the newer suggestions be moved to the new thread? The last page or so?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 02:36:47 AM »
For the item suggestion thread, can the newer suggestions be moved to the new thread? The last page or so?

No need. The old thread is still accessible. It may be locked, but all submissions will still be reviewed by the dev staff.  You can still comment about these suggestions here as well.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:07:37 AM »
Dumas, for your latest suggestions, I really like the effort you put in to give some bits of Ravenloft lore in their backgrounds, but I'm unconvinced they'd be good additions as they are now. Bear in mind though that this is only my personal opinion, not necessarily that of the staff. But my main concern when desiging a good Ravenloftian item, is that it must have both bonuses and penalties applicable at the moment you use the item.

For instance, your "Cameo of Glamour" is obviously an item that would only ever be used in roleplay situations. Giving it penalties applicable only in battles renders those penalties moot. I'd give it a penalty on some other skills instead, I'm thinking both appraise and spot, as the glamour's magic tends to hide the true nature of things, so would the wearer abilities to perceive the true nature of things be affected in some ways too. I also see no need for an item that casts "Charm Person" to have influence bonuses. You want the amulet's special properties to be used after all. But the glamour could help for performances and such. Note too that were not too keen on "uses by day" items, it tends to make those items immensely powerful compared to others. You'll have better chances of seeing items added in with "charges per use". Not that a "use by day" item can't be added, but be sure to have a severe drawback to bite back the user. This is Ravenloft, nothing of power should be without consequences.

So for your Cameo of Glamour, I,d see more something along the lines of : Charm Person (10) [5 charge per use, 50 charges], +2 perform, -2 appraise, -2 spot. That seems more balanced to me.

Similarly your Lightless halberd is a formidable weapon without formidable defensive hindrances. The kind that would make it the only halberd, halberd users would want to use. That's not what we aim for. I would have it with heavy penalties to at least 2 of the following: Discipline, Parry, Tumble or AC.

And your "Dementlieuse Boarding Axe" has 4 perks, for a single +10 pound weight. Granted its not a powerful weapon per say, so it's not a big deal, but I'd add some penalties to Discipline, Parry, Tumble or AC as well to counterbalance.

About the ring of oath, both clerics and paladins already have items granting bonus spells slots. I doubt we need more of those. But let say we do add them, what offsetting penalties do you propose?

I like the idea of your Vos Boyarsky Boar Spear, (we need more vorostokov stuff), but weapons should not grant AC bonuses. I'd say we drop the AC bonuses and Parry penalties, and reduce the tumble penalty to -3. That would be fair enough I think.

As for your ring of agony, it is really just way too powerful I think. Combine 2 of those with an Heart of Ice amulet and you get +14 to your will saves. For penalties that rarely ever affects the wearer, except sometimes for the fortitude penalty which should technically be higher than the Will bonuses in this case (Always following the logic that in Ravenloft uber items have even bigger penalties).

For the Waraji of the Lost Hero, we already have some boots granting reflex bonuses, and freedom of movement is easy enough to get through other items. I just don't see the purpose of adding them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 04:13:04 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »
About the ring of oath, both clerics and paladins already have items granting bonus spells slots. I doubt we need more of those. But let say we do add them, what offsetting penalties do you propose?

There is one item for Paladins, last I have heard and seen. This ring could be just for paladins, instead. Not the original poster but those are my two cents.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
Thanks for the Feedback, Mabb. Yeah, my primary focus started out with adding some more Ravenloftian lore items to the sever; it took me quite some time to figure out such backgrounds. I took your advice on my suggested items, and modified the statistics accordingly. They make sense, yes. Totally forgot about the stacking ability of the Agony rings with the Heart of Ice and themselves. I increased the Fortitude penalty, and decreased the Will bonus for those. I also slightly changed the description for the Waraji, and changed them to offer a Bear's Endurance buff, which I don't think any other item adds. We have Fox's Cunning and Cat's Grace items, but not Bears.

Item Name: Cameo of Glamour
Statistics:
Cast Spell : Charm Person (10) [5 Charges/Uses] 50 charges
Skill Bonus: Perform [+2]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Spot [-2]
Material [Bone]
Material [Leather]
Material [Wood, Hemlock]
Total Item Cost: 251

Item Name: Lightless Halberd
Statistics:
Damage Bonus: Negative Energy [1d4 Damage]
Enhancement Bonus vs. Racial Group: Shapechanger [+2]
Massive Criticals [2d4 Damage]
Decreased AC : AC Dodge Modifier [-1]
Decreased Skill Modifier: Parry [-5]
Decreased Skill Modifier: Tumble [-5]
Material [Steel]
Material [Wood, Hickory]
Total Item Cost: 1390

Item Name: Waraji of the Lost Hero
Statistics:
Cast Spell : Bear's Endurance (3) [5 Charges/Use] 25 charges
Decreased Skill Modifier : Move Silently [-4]
Material [Cord]
Material [Bark]
Total Item Cost: 564

Item Name:  Dementlieuse Boarding Axe
Statistics:
Enhancement Bonus vs. Racial Group : Constructs [+1]
Extra Melee Damage Type : Bludgeoning
Massive Criticals: [1d6 Damage]
Decreased AC : AC Deflection Modifier [-1]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Discipline [-2]
Weight Increase [Amount: 10 lbs.]
Material [Iron]
Material [Wood, Teak]
Total Item Cost: 1584

Item Name: Vos Boyarsky Bear Spear
Statistics:
Enhancement Bonus vs. Racial Group : Animal [+1]
Enhancement Bonus vs. Racial Group : Beast [+1]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Tumble [-3]
Material [Iron]
Material [Wood, Ash]
Total Item Cost: 632

Item Name: Ring of Agony
Statistics:
Damage Resistance : Sonic [Resist 5 / - ]
Increased Saving Throw Bonus : Specific Will [+1]
Skill Bonus : Antagonize [+3]
Decreased Saving Throws : Specific : Fortitude [-2]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Disable Trap [-5]
Decreased Skill Modifier : Open Lock [-5]
Material [Chitin]
Total Item Cost:1487
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:40:32 PM by Dumas »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »

There is one item for Paladins, last I have heard and seen. This ring could be just for paladins, instead. Not the original poster but those are my two cents.

The thing is, 2 of those rings plus the already existing bracers would theoretically allow a level 2 paladin to already cast 3 level 1 spells. This is a huge power bump and then other players will want equivalents for their own spellcasting classes. I'd rather not have more bonus spell slots items added.
Best Regards!
MAB

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 05:40:18 PM »
Actually they have to be level 4.  They don't get any spellcasting abilities till then, I believe, spell slots or no.  I think.  Hrm.  Suddenly I have a doubt.

Personally I'd like to see a level 3 or stretching it even to a 4 spell slot item for paladins, but that's pure greed - but also I admit a bit of end game loot.  There's some room for some of that sort of thing I think, but it'd have to be nearly impossibly rare for it to make it in at all.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
Actually they have to be level 4.  They don't get any spellcasting abilities till then, I believe, spell slots or no.  I think.  Hrm.  Suddenly I have a doubt.

Personally I'd like to see a level 3 or stretching it even to a 4 spell slot item for paladins, but that's pure greed - but also I admit a bit of end game loot.  There's some room for some of that sort of thing I think, but it'd have to be nearly impossibly rare for it to make it in at all.

Yeah, level 1 or 2 spells aren't that great. The best spells are holy sword, shackle, restoration, and prayer. The only good multi-use of the 1 and 2 spells is clarity.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
Extra slots in the one and two range actually can turn the paladin into a rather effective party buffer.  Extra bless weapons for example are terrific, as well as stat buffs.  At low levels those extra bless weapons are -extraordinarily- powerful.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »

Yeah, level 1 or 2 spells aren't that great. The best spells are holy sword, shackle, restoration, and prayer. The only good multi-use of the 1 and 2 spells is clarity.

I disagree. In all time, in any D&D iterations, 1st level spells have always proved tremendously powerful considering their spell level. And just in NWN Bless, Bless weapon, Deafening clang, Divine Favor, Magic weapon, Protection from Evil. These 1st level Paladin spells make a world of difference on our server.

And Nem, yes, a 2nd level paladin wearing an item granting a bonus spell slot, would be able to memorize and cast the spell, regardless of the slot level.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:57:11 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

NecropolisV

• Undead Master
  • ~Dragons, Dragons, Dragons!~
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 02:52:44 AM »

I disagree. In all time, in any D&D iterations, 1st level spells have always proved tremendously powerful considering their spell level. And just in NWN Bless, Bless weapon, Deafening clang, Divine Favor, Magic weapon, Protection from Evil. These 1st level Paladin spells make a world of difference on our server.

And Nem, yes, a 2nd level paladin wearing an item granting a bonus spell slot, would be able to memorize and cast the spell, regardless of the slot level.

Ah sorry, didn't know any rings existed for paladin slots, only know of one item like that which are the bracers. I am aware of the cleric rings but those are higher level slots so figured a weaker ring that maybe is more accessible to lower level clerics would work. (i don't know all the loot spawns and such, so sorry if i wasn't aware of some of these things, good to know though!)
Currently Playing: Maloryn X'angondur

Closured:
Markus Shadebane, Adrian Von Viklov, Vincent Zolokorov, Adam, Ambrose De'Korban, Akin, Velindilieth Asuranaeh,

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 03:57:52 AM »
Ah sorry, didn't know any rings existed for paladin slots, only know of one item like that which are the bracers. I am aware of the cleric rings but those are higher level slots so figured a weaker ring that maybe is more accessible to lower level clerics would work. (i don't know all the loot spawns and such, so sorry if i wasn't aware of some of these things, good to know though!)

They do not. We are merely discussing Dumas' Ring of Oath proposal.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »
I didn't propose that, that was NecropolisV

Pav

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 11:57:10 PM »

This is false. You need to be at least level 4.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
This is false. You need to be at least level 4.

I stand corrected. I tested it, and indeed, a paladin must first be able to cast spells on his own to benefit from a bonus spell slot granted by an item. But be it at level 2 or level 4, I still believe paladins have no need of rings to further grant them bonus spell slots.
Best Regards!
MAB

Pav

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
Rangers have 3 different items to give them spell slots, and while Ranger spells are not as good, I feel like another item for paladins would be fine. Maybe not a ring, but a very rare amulet?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Item Name: Cape of the Matador

Item Type: Cloak

Description: Passed down from dualist to entertainer and back again, these capes have served as a meager means of protection for a varity of fighting spectacles. A flick of the wrist and a trick of the eye, wearers of these capes are reknowned for their ability to dance and dodge their way around oppents- Though should their foes aim be true, it will surely mean their end.

The cape itself is crimson red and flows freely around its wearer. Closer inspection reveals several small punctures with dark brown stains surrounding them- perhaps revealing its previous owners demise.

Statistics:
+2 Parry
+2 Antagonize
+2 Deflection AC

25% Damage Vulnerability: Piercing

You propose a very powerful item here, I suggest you tone it down and add more vulnerabilities. As is, I don't see any good reason to add it to the module. Also please always include the item cost given to you by the toolset as per the instructions to submit an item. It helps us assess the likelihood of the item dropping in loots.
Best Regards!
MAB

julienchab

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
Item Name: Cape of the Matador

Item Type: Cloak

Description: Passed down from dualist to entertainer and back again, these capes have served as a meager means of protection for a varity of fighting spectacles. A flick of the wrist and a trick of the eye, wearers of these capes are reknowned for their ability to dance and dodge their way around oppents- Though should their foes aim be true, it will surely mean their end.

The cape itself is crimson red and flows freely around its wearer. Closer inspection reveals several small punctures with dark brown stains surrounding them- perhaps revealing its previous owners demise.

Statistics:
+2 Parry
+2 Antagonize
+2 Deflection AC

25% Damage Vulnerability: Piercing

You propose a very powerful item here, I suggest you tone it down and add more vulnerabilities. As is, I don't see any good reason to add it to the module. Also please always include the item cost given to you by the toolset as per the instructions to submit an item. It helps us assess the likelihood of the item dropping in loots.

Why do you consider it a very powerful item? +2 parry and antagonize is decent, while if I agree +2 deflection is strong, it is very easily overriden by spells like shield of faith, shield and greater mage armor, so the value is tuned down in my opinion. Also, the 25% damage vulnerability is still a big deal, and will make the life of anyone who uses it a pain against rogues.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Well, I compared it to other cloaks with similar stats. Cloak of the High Forest has a flat +2 deflection ac with zero drawbacks. Cape of the Savage gives +2 deflection ac with -4 will.

Here, you have the same same +2 deflection ac with the addition of skill bonus. With that comes a 25% percent damage vulnerability. There's a reason the blood runes line of weapon are avoided like the plague. I chose piercing as it fit the theme of bullfighting and dueling best- The risk of being gored and run though,

Do you think a 50% damage vulnerability would be more appropriate? At that level I think you'll see people only wearing it when they knew they wouldn't encounter piercing damage which it not what I really wanted. Knowing the risk and taken it anyways it what the item is about. Perhaps 25% piercing and 25% slashing? Or a concentration penalty making the duelist more susceptible to being taunted?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:59:38 AM by LeviShultz »

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
In regards to an item's power, it is of course a matter of personnal opinion, and it is known I usually side on the "less powerful is better" side. Here I see an item granting a fair bonus to 3 highly useful skills/features all at once. It seems excessive to me without adequate counterbalancing flaws. But it goes both ways and I would not go for a 50% piercing weakness either.

I'm not enthusiast either to granting skill point bonuses in parry when the cloak also gives AC bonuses. Two abilities granting AC bonuses on the same item makes it redundant.

Now a -1 penalty to concentration to offset  a +2 bonus to antagonize, I would find fair. And a -1 to discipline to offset the +2 in Parry as well. I like items that bites back the user but not so much that an item would not be used.
Best Regards!
MAB

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »
Dumas, I like your ceinture du révolutionaire's idea. Fits perfectly with the server lore.

How about they would also "auto-hostile" a wearer to the gendarme's faction given what it represents?
Best Regards!
MAB

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »
Dumas, I like your ceinture du révolutionaire's idea. Fits perfectly with the server lore.

How about they would also "auto-hostile" a wearer to the gendarme's faction given what it represents?

We can't do that and shouldn't do that, as setting hostile is part of the PvP rules, which could lead to confusion, and making gendarme NPCs attack random players over a bit of gear would cause serious issues. Even the elves in Degannwy don't attack over a necklace of ears.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 04:49:47 PM »
Maybe an ocr increase withing dementlieu?

Building out off the mists

Song of Danta

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »
I'd like to suggest changing one of the expendable items that grants 'Keen' to 'Weapon of Impact'.

We currently have the Enchanted Whetstone (5 uses), Mustard of Success (3 uses), and the Oil of Sharpness (1 use).

Maybe the mustard, with a slight change to the description. What do you think?