You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Letters Regarding Dame Solange de Sauvre  (Read 1323 times)

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
Letters Regarding Dame Solange de Sauvre
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »

Solange de Sauvre
12 August 742

Portrait
Theme Song
House Information
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:34:19 AM by peccavi »
Vengeance is in my heart, death in my hand --
Blood and revenge are hammering in my head.

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
Re: Letters Regarding Dame Solange de Sauvre
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »
...Dame de Sauvre is lying to everyone. There was no accident, and her son certainly hasn't been sent off to school. The day all of this happened, little Dorian's new governess came running into the kitchen, saying she couldn't find him anywhere. It seems she'd gone to fetch a maid, and when she returned he had just disappeared. This by itself is hardly unusual, we usually find him hiding somewhere in the house. But we searched the house high and low and the only other thing we find missing? Melisande de Sauvre. We, of course, sent runners to the Dame and they returned hours later saying they couldn't find her anywhere.

It wasn't until late that evening that we started to learn what had happened. It was nearing midnight when that Borcan of hers dragged her in through the back. She was half conscious and covered in more blood than I've ever seen in my life. The Borcan made us fetch a doctor, and I overheard the two of them speaking. Apparently she was so battered and had so many bones broken, he was surprised that she had actually lived. He told the Borcan to call the gendarme and have the men that did this to her arrested. The Borcan refused.

It wasn't until it was nearly dawn that we heard her again, likely finally awakening from all of the laudanum the doctor plied her with. She must've awoken in a panic, and it's lucky for us that the Borcan was with her, given the Dame's history. But we all heard the screaming. From what I could make out, someone had taken the three of them. Her grandmother was killed and whoever did it was about to do the same to the Dame before being called off and leaving her lying next to the body. She started sobbing and from what I could make out, she said her son was in the hands of slavers. I've never heard a woman cry like that before.

She kept repeating the name Black Pieter. Does that sound familiar to you?...

- A letter from a de Sauvre servant to his fiancée, 769 BC
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:05:17 PM by peccavi »

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »
...The news will likely reach you before this letter. Our son is dead. There was an
accident on his return from Lamordia. Something happened to Emile’s ship, however the details are vague...

...but it is our Sol that worries me now. When she discovered what happened, she did not say a word. She merely went to her room and locked the door behind herself. I would understand if she were screaming, or weeping, or throwing things about. But this silence? It is unbearable…

- A letter from Melisande de Sauvre to her husband Louis de Sauvre, 752 BC

….I don’t know what that girl’s done to her linens, but they’re nearly all burnt to crisps. Have the boy run to the shop and fetch some more. Do not let Madame Melisande know of that, and please remind the boy not forget the laudanum for Madame Helaine either. The poor thing’s been in such a state since she heard of her husband. A measure of the laudanum should help ease her for a while…

- A note from a maid to a butler in the de Sauvre household, 752 BC
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:06:26 AM by peccavi »

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:21 PM »
… Here's a gift for you, Leblanc. There's a young boy about ten of age in this batch. Blonde hair, dark eyes. I'm sure if you ask for Dorian, he'll come politely forward. The boy is legitimate Dementlieuse nobility. Perhaps advertise this and sell him at a premium. I'm certain you'll have no issue finding a buyer …

- An undated letter found on the ground of an old section of the sewers

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »
Madame de Sauvre,

We wish for you to meet with Marquis LeMarc, a friend of ours. You will follow his lead, and encourage the gentry to serve our great benefactor. Do this or your child dies.

- An unsigned letter, dated 769

Might get some mice up here later this evening. See to it the traps are laid in place.

- A blood spattered note, unsigned and undated; the only remarkable thing about it is a circle drawn, resembling a spiral, going counterclockwise
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:06:37 AM by peccavi »

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:18:05 PM »
Dame de Sauvre,

I made you some chamomile tea, but I fear it might have become lukewarm. I have gone out on patrol, I imagine I'll run into you soon enough.

- A note signed by Justine Valcout; the paper is crumpled

Dame de Sauvre,

I desire to speak with you, and soon. Perhaps we might speak in private, tomorrow evening?

- Signed Baron Ambrose Descartes, 8th Baron Descartes
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:06:49 AM by peccavi »

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
...I shall cut to the chase and inform you that I am writing to beg your aid.  My granddaughter seems to be abnormal, for lack of a better term. I've no clue what to do with the girl now. I'm terrified of letting her out into society lest she ends up harming someone. And if someone were to hear of this on top of the chatter going around about my own daughter? I shudder to think at what nonsense the gossips would spew. My own mother could do a bit of what Solange is displaying, but not to this degree. Have I done the right thing isolating her like this? Please send one of your men as quickly as possible. You'll never know how much I would appreciate the assistance…

-A letter from Melisande de Sauvre to Lord Balfour

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 12:06:11 AM »
...I do wonder how anyone is able to put up with Helaine these days. The woman's been nothing but an embarrassment since the day her husband died. She could hardly even manage at the funeral, crying and falling over herself like a common little thing. Lately she's just seemed utterly catatonic at any event I've actually seen her at. She seems to just stare at the wall the entire time. She even had the audacity to ignore me last I bid her hello. I've hardly felt so rejected in my life, and by a de Sauvre of all people! They're hardly better than commoners themselves. Someone really must do something about Helaine. And did you see her daughter? The girl just sat at her mother's side all evening night, staring at her shoes. You'd think she would at least attempt to make up for her mother's behavior, but she refused to even look at me. Someone should inform her that her looks won't take her very far in life. That entire family is a stain upon Dementlieuse nobility…

- A portion of a letter from a baroness to her husband, November 752 BC

I am writing for assistance. I believe it is time for my daughter-in-law, Helaine, to receive proper care. We certainly are unable to provide it to her at this juncture and she grows worse by the week. Please do let us know when the next opening may be and I will have transport arranged...

- A letter from Melisande de Sauvre to Mikki Sanatorium, February 753 BC

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 02:08:09 AM »
Mother,

I have always struggled to understand you. Your actions after fathers death were unacceptable. You allowed your grief to consume you. You left grandmama and I alone whilst you wallowed. You allowed it to destroy you. I had never thought I would be capable of understanding it. Yet now here I stand, the age you were when grandmama sent you to the sanatorium and told everyone you had died, and I can’t help but begin to understand. Perhaps not fully, and it certainly doesn’t excuse your behavior, but there are parts I can’t help but recognize in myself. The loneliness -- I understand that in particular. To go from having the world in your hands. Knowing that you are cared for. Loved. Cherished. Seeing others have what you do not. I have never been more alone than I stand now and it is a horrible, crushing feeling. There are days I can scarcely bring myself to move from bed. Liquor to numb the feeling and insults to deter others from growing close because I can not stand the idea of watching another person I love die or fail. These are now how your daughter passes her days...

...I know this letter shall mean nothing to you. I don’t even know if you’re capable of reading any longer at this rate. Perhaps that’s what makes it easier to write this down; knowing you will not be capable of comprehension. Either way, I do love you, mother, despite your inadequacies...

- A letter from Dame Solange de Sauvre to Helaine de Sauvre, dated June 776 BC

peccavi

• Outlander
  • an hero
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 01:46:56 AM »
[A last letter carefully sealed and delivered to Dorian de Sauvre awaits him.

Dorian,

I regret to inform you that I shall no longer be participating in Dementlieuse life. I wish, though, to explain to you why and I hope that this shall assist you in understanding my life.

I will start at the beginning.

With my particular talents, your great grandmother kept me locked in a room for days on end, despite what my parents said, until I was nearly your age. She found my talents worrying and treated me as if I would be a threat to any that I would encounter. This became paramount after the death of my father. I lost control, utterly. My only escape was Lord Balfour. While he was not a cruel man, he was not caring either. However he did teach me to keep my powers in check. Despite his inconsideration and Melisande's neglect, I thank them both for that.

Melisande, your great-grandmother, became paranoid something would happen to me when she should have worried over my mother. My mothers fragile demeanor and Melisande's brutality saw her sent to Mikki. I still find this a cruel outcome for a horribly grieving woman but she is unable to function independently now after decades in that place. My mama loved your grandfather more than the world. Perhaps more than me. She would have given anything to see him back. Every social event I attended with my mother was an atrocity. She couldn't pretend. She couldn't play the game. She was weak and sad and unable to further the family or the goals that Melisande had set. Once it became clear that my mother would be a burden only, off she was sent to Mikki. There were no questions. Melisande was extremely pragmatic to say the least.

A handful of years after that, I met your father. Dorian, darling, it was love as there is no other. As soon as I saw him, I knew he had my heart. Only one man since has had my heart as your father had mine. I loved him completely. He was kind and loving. He wished to make a difference in the world. There was optimism and hope. I took that inside of me for years and wished to make it more than just me. I wished to make it something the world could love. After his death, I was adrift.

I finished my years of study as Melisande expected, the good girl I was supposed to embody. She allowed me no grieving. When her mind began to take a turn toward the worse, I joined the gendarme. You know the stories there. Yet the stories do not encompass the pure idiocy if my entry into the gendarme. Simply put, it was dumb luck. They didn’t wish a woman to be in the gendarme at the time. The flintlock they provided me backfired twice, harming me greatly each time. I insisted it was to deter me from joining and threatened to sue before they allowed me entry.

When it comes to my time within the gendarmerie, according to the records, I overcame the Dauphin family and the plot against the Council but truthfully it was blind luck. I stumbled into success and was awarded for it. Then I went after Palascu. Truthfully, I am not free of sin there. I knew of Palascu's human trafficking. When I had the opportunity to frame him for crimes, I seized it. His house was aflame and I planted numerous items of necromantic studies throughout his home that I had seized from another investigation. As you know, this did not work out. I often wish that I had let him die due to the problems he has caused you and I. It would have been simpler to say the least. Yet at that point I believed in the ideals your father did. I wished to hope for a good outcome and that Palascu would see the error in his ways. Palascu did not, as we both know, few criminals ever do.

Palascu did not take kindly to this, darling. He sent Black Pieter after me. I was beaten and tortured within an inch of my life. I watched Melisande die over my actions. You were kidnapped and taken away from me.

After Palascu's harassment, I took you away from the city as you recall. We spent a handful of years in absolute joy; at least that is what it was for me. When I arrived back to Port-a-Lucine, having left you in boarding school -- the city was a disaster. I spent much time with Juste Marceaux to see the city returned to order. Despite his marriage, I had nearly fallen in love with him. His ideals and hopes for the city were something I had not seen since your father. It gave me hope once more after Palascu had destroyed it. We saw part of a revolution together. I had hope for the common people at that time. For the freedom that I had never experienced; it was something they deserved more than anything. Yet when it came too close, when you were threatened, I retreated. My promises meant nothing in the face of threat to you. Thus, despite Marceaux’s attempts the city remains as it once was.

That is just one revolution I endured. I will spare you the details on the other.

When I returned to Port-a-Lucine again, I fell in love with Guy Maurice. I had known him for years. We joined the gendarme together. He was outspoken for the people when he joined while I had only attempted to preserve our family. When we met again, it was different. We quickly loved one another. Upon his death at the hands of a member of the gendarme, I once again lost hope. There were no more feelings.

It was an emptiness. I had loved and lost once more.

The only thing I had cared for was you. Your well being. When you told me you wished to go to Port-a-Lucine, I wept. The horrors within that city are monstrous.

Do not become the broken shell of a person that I am, sustained only by alcohol and rage. Be more, Dorian.

Do what I can not, if it is safe. Change the country. You are my greatest hope. You can make the change that I failed to. Just do not risk yourself or your love for such an opportunity.

I leave the de Sauvre households in your hands.

I doubt you shall hear from me again any time soon. I have no place here any longer.

Be as I raised you to be, like your father. Follow your beliefs.

Lovingly,
Solange de Sauvre
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 02:18:13 AM by peccavi »