Author Topic: [ ? ]  (Read 2094 times)

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
[ ? ]
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »

She smiled at me. She turned her head, and she smiled at me.

I slew this woman, and yet either she or someone else... no, something else, was watching me, even when I thought I was all alone. Ever since that fateful evening, all that meet their end by my hand can be seen wearing that smile. Is it a mirthful smile, worn by one who knows their suffering is at an end, and they now find themselves in the loving embrace of Our Guardian in the Mists? No, it is a mocking smile, a sign of their derision and of pity. I do not need either from the likes of them.

I often wonder if I am going mad, if I have lost my wits. There was always talk about their being something in the water back home, ever since the strange events that transpired thirty years ago. I was young, then -- so very young. I remember watching a lashing being given out in the middle of the boulevard, the barbed scourge licking a man's back -- what was his crime? I do not recall. I remember watching the welts form in a criss-cross pattern across the man's back, fascinated by what I was seeing.

Is there something wrong with me? There is. I am a liar, a murderer, and perhaps the greatest sin of all, a hypocrite. But this liar, this murderer, this hypocrite will know redemption when the streets are free of the unwashed parasites that so frequently form there. I will know redemption when our country's foes lie slain, unmourned and unloved. I will know redemption when this body politic is made pure again, by both scourge and dagger.

In my right hand, the scourge.

In my left hand, the knife.

Who am I? I am but the Garrote, to be wrapped firmly around the neck of our enemies.

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
Re: [ ? ]
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »

She smiled at me. She turned her head, and she smiled at m-

How do I prove myself? To him? To her? To our country? How do I demonstrate my abilities, my worthiness? How shall I earn my place beside Death as Her handmaiden?

When I first encountered the Serpent outside of his lair, I heard the moans and gasps of a woman in heat, her sounds of passion sounding like those coming from a harlot. When he was finished with her, he bade me enter. He told me to meet him elsewhere -- a different place, a different time. It was dusk when I encountered him again, in a smoke-filled room filled with laughter. Were they all laughing at me? I felt the eyes of a few linger upon me as I sat, and stared across the table at the leather-clad hooded figure before me.

The Serpent was quick to shed his skin.

I made him an offer. He called me 'presumptuous'. Perhaps I was. But in the end, he made it clear to me what it was he really wanted -- he wished for me to betray the trust of someone I cared a great deal about. Someone I had befriended not too long ago. I wondered to myself, 'would it be worth it?'

I still wonder, even now. Even as I drink the reddish-brown contents of this vial, in the hopes that it might deliver me a place I've been before. My skin feels as though it is on fire, my chest burns -- I have never experienced such clarity before trying this substance for myself.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:47:12 PM by Valar Morghulis »

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »

I see him everywhere.

He should have died. I should have killed him. But I was arrogant -- I was a victim of hubris, as he himself put it. He spent hours upon hours torturing me, hurting me in ways I never in my wildest dreams would have thought possible. I sobbed, I screamed for mercy that never came. He told me that from henceforth, I would be his. Not even a human being, but a creature that was his chattel.

Now, I see him everywhere. I cannot shake the feeling of being watched, and I see him in every poorly-lit corner, in the reflection cast by every mirror, in the face of every man I see lurking on the street-corner. They claim there's no one there, that I am seeing things... but I am all but certain he already knows or suspects me of disloyalty. He will claim my life, and the life of the handful of individuals I truly care about. I am the dead.

With that, I offer my dying thoughts. The few who know what it is I do condemn me -- they say I brought this upon myself. Due to their own naïveté, or due to some misplaced belief in such a thing as 'honorable combat', they view what I do as wrong, as improper. It is not I who is deluded, it is they. I made a mistake -- I thought that because they were my friends, they would understand. They would empathize with what happened to me. I was wrong -- one of them had the audacity to say I was acting like a child. They asked me if I learned my lesson. I've learned a valuable lesson, indeed... never again will I place trust in someone else.

I cannot rectify this situation easily, for if I kill her, they will kill me. I can only hope against hope that they manage to finish what I have started.

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:03:21 PM »

They claim he is no more, that he was slain. Of course, it was not by my hand that his wicked ways were brought to an end. I could not have stood against him -- how could I? A slew of others, individuals who I have seen eradicate large hosts of dreadful creatures and fiends beyond my reckoning, were easily bested. In hindsight, I should have known better.

I still see him, even though they claim he's dead. I see him watching me, lurking -- waiting for the right moment to haunt and torment me once again. I try to tell myself it but a figment, either a magical glamour or something manufactured by my fractured mind... yet no matter how hard I try, I cannot convince myself.

The Serpent came to me again. This time, it was he who made me an offer. I took it. I feel disgusted, sick to my stomach. They were my friends, and yet I showed little hesitation when I was asked to put quill to parchment. I was all too ready to sign away my dignity, my integrity.. and for what? Not even a promise. Not even a guarantee. I hope that Our Guardian in the Mists may one day forgive me, because I am uncertain as to whether or not I'll ever be able to. If they take my life for what I have done, then there can be little doubt that I've reaped what I have sown.

"Blood is thicker than water," they say, and I honestly want, more than anything, to believe that's the truth. But as the streams empty into a river, which empties out into the sea, so too do capillaries, into veins, into arteries.

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »

The Serpent betrayed me. I suppose that is what it feels like.

I made a mistake in trusting him, but he made a mistake in thinking I would merely lie down and take it, like so many of those harlots with the painted faces he fancies and brings into his office...

He thinks that what I wrote gives him leverage over me -- power.. and it does, for the time being. But how easy it is for a man such as he to accidentally misplace these things?

I found a pupil. She was interesting, to say the least, and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy our brief time together. She owes me money, however, and one of the things I do not possess... is patience.

He smiled. Just like she did. They all smile. It bothers me, it does -- what I have done, I may have done for naught. But I will get what is rightfully mine, sooner or later.

I've nothing but time on my hands.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:16:59 PM by Valar Morghulis »

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »

It has been some time since I've written here.

A lot has changed, yet a lot has stayed the same.

I am nothing. I am no one. I was someone, however.

I will become someone, again.

She was entertaining. The time we spent together, I shall not soon forget. Perhaps I'll pay her a visit again, one day, or even better yet, see her transformed, broken further. We shall see, won't we? I may grow weary of her, before it's all over.

I admit I was skeptical, at first, of the bastard's intentions. It seems like he was likely uncertain of mine, as well. We have reached an understanding, however -- we are stronger, together, and never shall our bond be broken or sundered.

The student has surpassed the master. When I see them, either of them, I am white-hot with jealousy. I cannot let it overpower me. I need to focus on the rough, mountainous path that lies ahead of me.

What lies at the end? Vindication. Reprisal. Triumph. Adulation.

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »

I saw her smile, and then...

Eyes. Watching me.

They're always watching me. No matter where I look, no matter what I do, their eyes -- they're looking right at me. They could be talking to someone else, but their eyes, their judgmental, suspicious gazes... they're on me.

Do they know? Did he tell them? He should be mouldering in his grave. But he was exhumed...

The wall. I saw it -- a massive eye, as big as the wall itself, its pupils a dark crimson color and dripping blood. Was it him?

It is time I came to terms with what I am, and cease pretending to be something I'm not.

I can't write anymore, they're watching me. From the shadows, I can feel their gaze. Damn their eyes, whoever they are.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:05:29 AM by DM Dread »

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »

For weeks now, I've stayed my hand..

They know. The way they look at me, the way they stare -- those judgmental glares, those sneers on their faces...

It won't matter. I will have them fear me. They will turn their gazes towards the ground, because they will be afraid of inviting my wrath upon them..

I know it won't be mine, any of it. It will help me to get to where I need to go, to where I want to be. The bastard will help. He will have to.

The charlatan paid the price. I shall do what I must.

I know you're still out there, Father. Somewhere.

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »

I peeled away her sable-colored skin as though it were the skin of a fruit -- bit by bit, I peeled away, looking at what lurked underneath.

I heard her plaintive cries, her pitiable whimpers. What I enjoyed the most were her screams.

Josephine, Emmanuelle, Cristina... and now? Her.

I would say that I now understand why something like this was done to me, but..

I think I always understood.

Thermidorian Reaction

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »
[So ended this death-dealer's life, as she was pitifully begging for her own life from the one who would claim it. Arrogant as she was, she would never in her wildest dreams imagine being bested, in spite of the fact that there is always someone better. With craven pleading, and then a loud, ear-piercing shrill -- so ended the life of Justine Valcourt.]