You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dementlieu - Port-à-Lucine - Jacques Roussin's Tenements  (Read 2836 times)

Song of Danta

Dementlieu - Port-à-Lucine - Jacques Roussin's Tenements
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:57:49 AM »
An advertisement that would bring a blush to the cheeks of most gentle ladies is tacked up to the front noticeboard in the tenements...

// Character is atmospheric, and play-on-request. Send me a PM, and REMEMBER TO INCLUDE A RETURN ADDRESS.
// Everything that goes on is strictly PG-13. See Section 6 of the Server Rules.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:06:25 AM by Danta the Deplorable »

Song of Danta

Re: Dementlieu - Port-à-Lucine - Jacques Roussin's Tenements
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »
Room thirteen has received quite a number of guests this last week, the majority cloaked and masked. Agonized shrieks and the cracking of a whip are audible from the hall in the tenements, often punctuated by the curt and commanding voice of a woman.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:47:37 PM »
[A small, raven-haired woman wearing a rather plain gray dress scrubs and airs one of the rooms in the Tenements. The smells of soap and--later--baked goods wage a silent war with the more common odors of urine, vomit, and drunkenness.

Soon after a notice printed in an immature hand appears outside the building.]

Spoiler: show
OOC: Notice placed in game

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »
[ Two additional rooms are rented, scrubbed, and aired to accommodate more clients. A large Half Orc rents one, but then provides his key instead to the same woman for the same purpose. Likewise, a hooded female Elf tours the work in progress and leases a room.

That morning, a second notice appears tacked next to the first in the same immature printing: ]

Seeking to hire a Governess to look after and manage the education and care of neglected children.

Must be of impeccable character and capable of great trust with minimal oversight.

Please inquire at Room 3. If no response, please slide a paper with your qualifications and means of contacting you under the door.

Payment will be exceptional and commensurate with the quality of the successful candidate.

// Notice placed in game.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:30:33 PM by Iridni Ren »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 11:19:40 PM »
The raven-haired woman returns to her usual room to find a note pinned to the door, which she appears to puzzle over until she finds a local to translate for her. Even hearing the translation, she still looks uncertain and confused as she enters the room and secures the door.

A few moments later, however, peals of giggling were heard.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:19:02 AM »
Overnight multiple high-pitched screams were heard coming from inside the Tenements, sometimes in unison. As such was business as usual in the Quartier Ouvrier, no forces of law responded, although a large street gang drew near--sharks circling to blood in the water--but its members were thwarted by a heavily barred door.

As dawn broke, the long-time occupant of Room 3 moved slowly through the brightening streets, her blue and gold clothing caked with gore, a limp body draped over her small form. She seemed to be searching for someone, as despite her painful, labored movements she passed up and down the alleyways crying a name.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 09:22:52 AM »
Despite the violent night of a month previous, the raven-haired woman continues her residence, and the routine of life in the Tenements returns to its familiar squalid rhythm. Still, her benevolent mien and attempts to win the trust of the locals appear even more questionable than before, and it is not only children seen coming and going from her plain quarters but dark and hooded figures. Visitors stay until all hours of the night, talking in hushed tones, and once she is seen leaving near midnight clad in the gauchest of armor, quite unbecoming of a proper Dementlieuse lady or would-be governess. A summons from the gendarmes at last seems to confirm widespread intuition that something is awry about Room 3 and its young occupant.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:19:09 AM by Iridni Ren »

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
Despite the violent night of a month previous, the raven-haired woman continues her residence, and the routine of life in the Tenements returns to its familiar squalid rhythm. Still, her benevolent mien and attempts to win the trust of the locals appear even more questionable than before, and it is not only children seen coming and going from her plain quarters but dark and hooded figures. Visitors stay until all hours of the night, talking in hushed tones, and once she is seen leaving near midnight clad in the gauchest of armor, quite unbecoming of a proper Dementlieuse lady or would-be governess. A summons from the gendarmes at last seems to confirm widespread intuition that something is awry about Room 3 and its young occupant.

On more nights than one the other occupant of Room 3 is heard grumbling at the shenanigans of his bunkmate.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »
Nothing more of interest seems to happen. The crates delivered by dockworkers stop, and the young woman contents herself with spending most of her time in Room 3, venturing out only for morning prayers and to make small donations to the needy. None include the toys she once distributed. Sometimes she may have company in those daytime walks, but no one of note. Likewise, evidence continues that she may be entertaining one or more orphans in her bare and tidy quarters, but this, again, hardly seems worthy of gossip in a city filled with far more salacious intrigue. With so much more to occupy waggish tongues, her continued presence is easy enough for the hoi polloi to forget.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 10:47:43 PM »
Odd foodstuffs have been left by the door of Room 3 on multiple occasions--a cherry pie, waffles, etc.. It is unlikely that in a run-down enterprise such as the Tenements this exposed food makes other residents (or Jacques Roussin himself) happy, given the many vermin skittering about. Eventually, a small, folded note is affixed to the door of the room. If opened, in simple printing it reads:

Dear Kind Sir (or Lady),

Please make yourself known. There are far more needy of nourishment in this city than I, and if someone has told you that the woman living here is impoverished, the report was mistaken. We should meet properly.

Iridni Ren

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:42:00 AM »
Tawdry tales of room hopping during the wee nocturnal hours in these cheap environs are all too common and would hardly be worthy of gossip.

After an interlude--precipitated seemingly one night by a gunshot--the former offerings to the door of Room 3 have ceased, replaced by the more traditional note and flowers (a bouquet of resplendent tulips).

Upon the dawn's floral greeting, the room's long-time occupant wears a serene smile as she reads her mysterious correspondence and then folds it carefully. The flowers disappear along with the raven-haired woman into her bedchamber.

Later, she slips down the hall and lets herself into a second room only recently rented by a man of knightly bearing. This errand does not seem to be the usual and expected secret assignation, however, as she brings with her a mop and bucket. It becomes evident the new tenant is not at home, but that a freshly aired room will greet him when his unknown journey has ended.

bunnie

• Head Empty
  • Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
  • what is him think
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 09:54:45 PM »
Voices of delight chatter throughout the Ouvrier's nights, accompanied by the hauling of crates and boxes aplenty into the Tenements' basement. Commonfolk fuss in and out as the space is prepared for.. Something new!
Heading the assemblage of the less fortunate is a familiar monochromatic couple, both waxen woman and towering man.

Flambeuse

• Undead Slayer
  • This account is abandoned
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2023, 01:30:55 PM »
It appears La Cause's latest issue finds something of a direct response...

Flambeuse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 07:41:58 PM »
Some commotion in the basement sees the rather rare occurrence of a Gendarmerie visit to the Tenements...

Flambeuse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 08:25:17 PM »
Black smoke and fire erupts from the Tenement basement briefly, raising cries of alarm. Fortunately, the fire is quickly put out by some unseen means...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 08:28:43 PM by Flambeuse »