Author Topic: Halfling Settlement  (Read 6808 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Halfling Settlement
« on: September 17, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
So far, we have a dwarf, elf, gnome, and even sorta a half orc (if you class the drain as such) gathering and places for racial rp , but there really isnt somewhere for halflings to gather or be involved in thats unique to them.

The only place that comes to mind is the sort of halfling ghetto in port, but the few times i was there, there wasnt any sort of uniqe tavern/inn or anything for us to really make use of. Or even any where to actually enter into, and only had a few halfling npcs.

Would it be possible to get a small inn/tavern made specifically for small folk. Maybe even something else special and unique for small folk there as well. Such as a small temple possibly to Yondalla or something else? Or maybe even a sort of specialty store with weapons and items unique to the halfling folk that would be attainable in this world. Like unique slings for halflings only, a selection of some basic bullets that can only be purchased/sold there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:49:25 AM by Miuo »

peps

• Undead Master
Re: Halfling Settlement
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »
As brutal as this sounds, this seems like something that needs to come into play through player-initiative. Want a tavern in the slums, so halflings can occupy it? Contact a DM about the idea, then seek building permissions IC. The same is especially suggested for a temple dedicated to a goddess beyond the mists (e.g. Yondalla).

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »
Part of the issue is that there are not really any real settlements for gnomes* or halflings in mind in ravenloft canonically. Dementlieu has their ghettos and there is a gnomish hamlet in the middle of nowhere in Hazlan. But overall Ravenloft is largely humancentric.

As for the temple, Yollanda only applies IIRC to the Realms while other settings have different gods and goddesses for halflings. Gnomes also have different set of gods in different settings. As this is Ravenloft it is highly unlikely unless through a lot of player interaction for their to be a temple to her. 

That said having a halfling tavern in the slums of the port for little people would be neat. As they do have their own ghetto there.

*would jump in joy if there was even just a town based on a dark reflection of eberron's Zilargo though.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 04:22:41 PM »
Also halflings mostly coexist in the societies of other races. This is one of their greatest talents

TherapyCat

• I'm aware I can't spell but look at my art uwu
  • Dark Lord
  • Aka BrokeCollegeKid/Colorfullfan
    • POTM IN THE SIMS
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
I love the Idea of having a place for half lings to gather, I agree however. It should be created with some IC RP for the set up, however.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 10:28:27 PM »
Part of the issue is that there are not really any real settlements for gnomes* or halflings in mind in ravenloft canonically. Dementlieu has their ghettos and there is a gnomish hamlet in the middle of nowhere in Hazlan. But overall Ravenloft is largely humancentric.

As for the temple, Yollanda only applies IIRC to the Realms while other settings have different gods and goddesses for halflings. Gnomes also have different set of gods in different settings. As this is Ravenloft it is highly unlikely unless through a lot of player interaction for their to be a temple to her. 

That said having a halfling tavern in the slums of the port for little people would be neat. As they do have their own ghetto there.

*would jump in joy if there was even just a town based on a dark reflection of eberron's Zilargo though.

Thats what i mean, im not asking for a entire village just for us, just asking for whats currently there to be improved on for there to be something for us. The temple was just a suggestion, if i had to choose id prefer the shop and a small inn. The issue with creating such IC, any person who works towards creating a inn, tavern or what not is going to want to run and own it. It seems a bit pointless for people to work towards creating a business and funding it if they have zero ownership or rights to it. Players arent allowed to own/have properties for their character?

A faction base is one thing after extensive rp and accumulating a following. But a tavern/inn is another thing.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »

Thats what i mean, im not asking for a entire village just for us, just asking for whats currently there to be improved on for there to be something for us. The temple was just a suggestion, if i had to choose id prefer the shop and a small inn. The issue with creating such IC, any person who works towards creating a inn, tavern or what not is going to want to run and own it. It seems a bit pointless for people to work towards creating a business and funding it if they have zero ownership or rights to it. Players arent allowed to own/have properties for their character?

A faction base is one thing after extensive rp and accumulating a following. But a tavern/inn is another thing.

The Gaping Wound is run by players.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 01:05:05 AM »

The Gaping Wound is run by players.

Accurate, but it's owned by a faction as opposed to being owned by a specific player.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:36:31 AM »
Not seeking anything huge, specially if its aimed at small folk. Just like something 2x2, with various halfling patrons milling about and such. And then maybe 2-3 inn rooms, with all the furniture in the place using as small as possible placeable to make it feel really tiny, if any of the other races happen to go there.

Xegzy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
This! so much this! just a halfling place anywhere!

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 01:06:52 AM »
Start something ICly, its the best way to get anything done, this wont happen without IC anyway

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »
we could just work to get the port ghetto flashed out, it already has four doors.
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
    • Author C.R. Beaumont
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
There is a place with a halfling husband and wife near the village of barovia, right by the giant ants. It's only one home, but I bet with a few months of rp and such it could be made into something more.
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Belia/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Rabbit/
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath

Inti

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

A pity I read this only now. My main PC, Flute has been walking around with this very idea for a while and recently has put out feelers IG-ly  concerning bringing it about. I think an inn, a shop* and a few houses next to some safe-ish human place could be plausable. Also, if it will end up being somewhere out of the way (i.e. not inside or next door to a big hub), it needs to have something there - a reason for players to visit and RP there, perhaps something unique sold in the shop/inn, crafting stations and perhaps even some resource spawns. Nothing unbalanced or over the top, but enough to draw people there.

* for a shop I'm wondering if it can be something cooking or baking-related. I did notice a whole bunch of cooking-themed items that seem to be floating about, but constituting little more than 'vendor trash' right now. So I can't help wondering if there is some cooking-related crafting in the pipeline from the devs and whether any halfling shop/place may play a part in its introduction. :)
“What makes the desert beautiful,' said the little prince, 'is that somewhere it hides a well...”  ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
    • Author C.R. Beaumont
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »

A pity I read this only now. My main PC, Flute has been walking around with this very idea for a while and recently has put out feelers IG-ly  concerning bringing it about. I think an inn, a shop* and a few houses next to some safe-ish human place could be plausable. Also, if it will end up being somewhere out of the way (i.e. not inside or next door to a big hub), it needs to have something there - a reason for players to visit and RP there, perhaps something unique sold in the shop/inn, crafting stations and perhaps even some resource spawns. Nothing unbalanced or over the top, but enough to draw people there.

* for a shop I'm wondering if it can be something cooking or baking-related. I did notice a whole bunch of cooking-themed items that seem to be floating about, but constituting little more than 'vendor trash' right now. So I can't help wondering if there is some cooking-related crafting in the pipeline from the devs and whether any halfling shop/place may play a part in its introduction. :)

There is always that abandoned inn near midway, a little rp, time,  and willingness to let your char become an npc shouldn't be too hard to manage i would guess guys.
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Belia/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Rabbit/
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 07:54:44 PM »
The trouble with this i have, is the "start something icly", i get that you want us to bring it about, but at the same time its basically saying its never gonna happen since players arent allowed to own homes or shops. The only people who get a structure (and only after a significant time, the right sort of rp and only if approved) is a faction base. Also you really cant bring this about ic if you cant have the building to begin with. To do so icly, a halfling would approach who ever controlled the sale of land or properties, and inquire about available properties in the halfling ghetto. If there were some, view them and purchase one they liked. If not, begin looking into purchasing properties from existing owners. If they managed to get the property, purchase and begin to remodel it to be a functioning inn/tavern. And then open up for business, paying their taxs or what have you.

If a player was to begin working towards this ic'ly the property would be theirs, which from everything iv seen is something not allowed here. It would make no sense for a character to do all the work, pay for everything and then just hand over the keys, the property and all profits to a NPC and walk away.

There is always that abandoned inn near midway, a little rp, time,  and willingness to let your char become an npc shouldn't be too hard to manage i would guess guys.

The original suggestion wasn't about running a inn or a player owned business that has its own property. It was about fleshing out a area already halfling focused be actually usable for halflings to congregate and be around their own kind and surrounded by things meant for them. my suggestion was to add a interior or two to the halfling ghetto that already exists in game in the port city. Which at the moment doesnt have any interiors or anything usable. Other then the fact is a alleyway with like 1-2 npcs milling about in.

Pants

• New to the Mists
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 12:43:29 AM »
Since there is no canonical basis, that doesn't mean we cant have a thing like that but there has to be actual rp interest in such a thing. Why build an are if only three people are gonna play there...

Xegzy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »
I would like to mention that my character is currently in the setting up stages of this, Keratear nutcracker. please pm me on here or on discord and we can get this ball rolling faster.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 08:21:03 PM »
HellsPanda has the right of it. Start your movement in-game. Requesting or even discussing it in the feedback section is pointless. This is something for you to organize through the regular forum with other players.

Your goal will only be accomplished with time, you must be ready to invest years in that project. We do not build just because it is the flavor of the moment. Make noise through your in-game actions. Show us that the Halfling Community is strong. Astonish us by sound and constant roleplay. Hold frequent events without DM help. Prove yourself resourceful. Set yourself some epic goals. And above all, be patient and steadfast, but we'll be there watching and testing you.

By the way, I once heard that the burgomeister's door swings wide open for anyone with over 200 000 000 gold fangs, interested in investing in Vallaki's real estate. I believe he even calls you a friend and invites you at his table to drink his wine then... It doesn't get you a village, but it "might" be enough to buy a plot of land upon which you might start building. Well... that's what they say anyway... you'll need to show up with the gold first to know for sure. But I'm sure something interesting would happen along the way.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:26:50 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 06:21:52 AM »
I took Vallaki merely as an exemple, but really you can chose the region of your choice and seek out their political elites (always in-game) with whatever offer you may have. Though always remember that whatever form your project takes, it must somehow fits the tone of the domain you wish to establish yourself in. The 200 000 000 gp limit is huge I admit, and you might not even need that much, that again will be entirely the DM staff prerogative, "IF" you choose to go that way to prove your commitment (since this is certainly not the only way). However, gold always speaks loudly and other groups have in the past, and still do to this day, took this approach and work hard to afford improvements to their holdings. Ask any Ezrites about the saga to get their own crypts, its been going on for years.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
I dunno, I think putting gold to it is a bad idea. I'll say what I said last time-- If you are actively IG RPing somewhere and working on building something, and if it contributes to the overarching story of the server, the team'll notice and will probably help you. This has happened for players before, but these players were active and working to do something over the span of months. You don't ask for it to happen, you go out and make it happen.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
The halfling ghetto in Port-à-Lucine isn't a bad place.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »
A little fleshing out of the halfling ghetto would be great. It has thebassed benefit of already being in a hub that's politically (and importantly, player wise) active.

In my experience, you'll have the best luck and the smoothest development if youre adding to a hub that already exists, rather than forging your own. It streamlines Rp, and encourages the DM's and developers to maintain focus on an area well-populated.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 11:15:33 PM »
Part of the issue is that there are not really any real settlements for gnomes or halflings in mind in ravenloft canonically.

There isn't?

What about the Darkonese Halfling cities of Rivalis and Delagia?
and the Gnomish town of Mayvin in Darkon?

I'd rather see a little area like Rivalis built like the Zombie mod.. where you have an Inn safe area but outside is the Forest of Shadows besieged by zombies all night.
You could even include a dungeon for Rudolph van Richten's Richten Haus which was located there. And also the Crystal Gardens.

That's why i had the Mansions and garden tileset made BTW - for our own Ravenloft Project back in the day RLCore

Now that you have the mists implemented you dont need huge sprawling Domains.. just link interesting areas with the random Mists like how getting to Perfidus is a crap shoot

Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Inti

• Undead Master
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
Bumping this - just because it may be nice to hear more thoughts on this.

I really don't see a halfling racial area as a 'player faction base', just a nice addition for variety and to give the race a 'home', a place of their own, like most of the other races have. Thus although it would be fun if it was brought about with a degree of player involvement, it need not depend on it if the Team believes it to be a good enough thing in its own right to put it in.

Still, I would like to know that there is a broad support for such a thing (a (NPC) hin-ran inn/shop off a relatively safe zone) among other hin players - whether they believe such a thing would be beneficial and why.

Thanks!

“What makes the desert beautiful,' said the little prince, 'is that somewhere it hides a well...”  ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry