Author Topic: Leeches - Wounding Varnish  (Read 4195 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Leeches - Wounding Varnish
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:59:43 PM »
Is it possible to do a varnish made from leech saliva/bile/etc to be made into a varnish that does wounding dmg? Or would such be considered to powerful for a crafted item?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Leeches - Wounding Varnish
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:46:05 PM »
The wounding effect from leeches come from the fact that they're technically sucking your blood though (or so I thought)... but the idea is still valid. I'm sure there's something out there that could be used to make a wounding varnish.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:54:57 PM »
Leech saliva contains an anticoagulant that prevents blood from clotting.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
Since multiple wounding effects can be active simultaneously, it seem to me the property is too powerful to be allowed as a craftable item. But feel free to toy with the toolset and propose an item for the drop tables. I would not object to a rare drop item with the wounding property.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:42:04 PM »
That was my idea behind such, if it was some how weaponized and introduced into a body through the cut and keeps the wound bleeding out it would be fun. But I wasn't sure the view on the wounding property, it seems like it has the potential to be over powered if its a fort roll on every hit, and each wound takes on its own wounding timer that could really quickly stack up.

Edited: Seems a Dev beat me to it as i was typing such. I will see what toolset offers on such.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:08:16 PM »
Leech saliva contains an anticoagulant that prevents blood from clotting.

Ah yes, I didn't think about it that way, but that would make sense for a wounding varnish now that you mention it.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:52:47 PM »
There are some rare weapons with the wounding property on them and a few more would be interesting! It would be great if we could get the property to function in game.

The dagger known as "The Dark Emissary" has the on-hit Wounding property without any DC associated with it. This sadly makes it unable to proc the intended effect.

bumping this

Bumping this. Now with screen shots!

Spoiler: show

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:54 PM »
I've seen that once or twice... I was like WOUNDING?!!?! Oooooh....

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »
For the Dark Emissary it's my bad. I incorrectly implemented the feature. I'll correct that shortly.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
To be honest I'm surprised obsidian weapons don't have wounding properties. since it is both extremely sharp and brittle normally used to leave gashes in the enemy and cause them to bleed.

which has made me question why obsidian weapons found have a what is it.. -2 attack or enchanement bonus?  I could see these weapons having the wounding capability or whatever has it most likely being made of obsidian and not a normal metal.

If the obsidian weapons that were found in the sewers had it, would mean they would have to be moved and the drop rate reduced.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
Wounding varnishes would be nice. I think leeches is a very silly way to represent it.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »
maybe make it a item that can be found that is used like the whetstone? this way it isn't a item that can be crafted but has to be found and maybe get 1-5 charges of the item?

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »
maybe make it a item that can be found that is used like the whetstone? this way it isn't a item that can be crafted but has to be found and maybe get 1-5 charges of the item?

Perhaps something like a vial of leech saliva? Used on a weapon that causes wounding?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »

Perhaps something like a vial of leech saliva? Used on a weapon that causes wounding?

But it's the leeches teeth that cut into your flesh not it's Saliva, so something that can either magically turn your blade into a serrated one is more logical. or perhaps making the edge sharp enough to cut deep enough.

an example of things sharp enough would be like
Spoiler: show

I've often heard stories of hunters getting a cut Really deep from cleaning or sharpening these arrow heads.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:07:08 PM by Syl »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:57 PM »
If its made into a varnish like item and used to coat a weapon, the blade its self will already cut the flesh and leave a opening for the saliva to get into.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »
Again... the Saliva of a leech doesn't even cause bleeding.. That doesn't even make game logic

Could change whetstones and make them a bit rarer, give them the wounding option to apply to the weapon, like if the keen edge has 10 uses Wound could be half that.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
No, the blade does. It creates the open wound, the saliva is then introduced into the wound/body to prevent any clotting of the blood, and in turn keeps the wound bleeding out.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
No, the blade does. It creates the open wound, the saliva is then introduced into the wound/body to prevent any clotting of the blood, and in turn keeps the wound bleeding out.

Wow, I didn't know that! What we could do is have the leeches in the swamp drop a craft-able essence that makes a varnish like object that applies on-hit bleeding instead instead of acid damage, say dc-12 or so to resist. That would be in interesting improvement to the alchemy system.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 11:17:44 PM »
Because the wounding stacks, a new roll for every hit creating a new wounding effect its to powerful :3 Is why they wanted it more of a rare drop item rather then something we could make and have a ton of on hand like other varnishes.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »
Because the wounding stacks, a new roll for every hit creating a new wounding effect its to powerful :3 Is why they wanted it more of a rare drop item rather then something we could make and have a ton of on hand like other varnishes.

It can be edited to have a similar duration as poisons. You'll notice if you poison weapons the victim doesn't keep making fort saves after either passing the first save or being afflicted. Yes, thy'll make a secondary save in a minute but they're not being hit with multiple instances of the same poison.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 12:51:26 AM »

It can be edited to have a similar duration as poisons. You'll notice if you poison weapons the victim doesn't keep making fort saves after either passing the first save or being afflicted. Yes, thy'll make a secondary save in a minute but they're not being hit with multiple instances of the same poison.

the poisons are like what.. 25% chance to proc? O maybe went through 10 throwing axes and had poison trigger 3 times?

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 01:01:46 AM »
There are some effects which have a % chance to trigger as well as a DC to resist them. Think of the daze effects on Feyduster and Namarra for example. I'm sure there's a way to implement this with out it being over powered. A low fort save DC 12 to 14 maybe, % chance to trigger is also another way. Having a short duration for the effect is also effective, say 1 turn. You're really not going to be able apply another one mid fight without incurring AoOs.

As for poisons, as far as I know for those applied to weapons there is not a % chance to trigger associated with them. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:04:56 AM by LeviShultz »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »
Making those changes and should would fall to the staff to create such, so i cant speak much on that. My suggestion was more about as is, rather then making some new system for such.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 08:30:49 AM »
Well it isn't really a new system Miuo I believe the poison on a weapon is still a % on hit but I need to get more poison to test it out.