You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Trade License  (Read 10433 times)

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
Re: Trade License
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
The trade license system is more there for RP purpose than anything else and we don't want it too prohibitive that it would not be used at all. But I agree that it should be sufficiently high that some may prefer an illegal alternative.

What if they were sold 100 gp for Barovians, 200 to others. With forged ones available from the drain for 20 gp. A spot check dc 20 allowing others to see it for the fraud it is.

My take on it after reading topic:

solid 25 fangs - forged in Drain
solid 50 fangs - for Barovians, could be affected by OCR and Appraise
average 500 fangs - for outlanders, should be affected by everything possible, like - race, background, OCR, Appraise, etc

Garda PC's should be able to get them at Barovian price in higher numbers for RP and reselling. Every other license should be somehow personalized.

forgery check with Spot/Lore roll
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:35:02 PM by Hlot »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »
If it needs to be refreshed every 10 days, I think having it cheap is good so it doesn't negatively impact new characters or characters selling goods that aren't high income.

Edit:
Even if they were free, there'd always be "those characters" who just refuse to get one and would rather die first.  Norture and I played a duo of Borcan undead before that tried to tax people single or double digit gold amounts for various things, and the overwhelming majority of players just attacked us instead because they couldn't stomach the indignity of being charged for something they used to do for free. 

To be fair, I figure that's more about people and how they treat player (and DM!) controlled monsters more than it is about people not wanting to give up a pittance.

For real though, Legion and I agreed to accept absolutely anything people gave us as a toll payment, and nobody bothered trying to pay. Like you could have dumped sewer garbage on us and that'd be payment, but nope.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:28:18 PM by Norture »

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 10:28:53 PM »
I'm sorry Miuo. But NWN gives so many inventory space and allows to carry so many bags. The size of a 2x2 parchment is hardly an issue, we will continue to use the regular documents models.

I understand it can be easy for crafters and merchants to fill one's inventory. But it is part of the experience to sucessfully manage one within some space constraints. If you have too much it is time for you to sell, craft or give items.

Alright, is it possible to have such changed from the blank paper though into one of the other misc items that look more document like?

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
I would caution against considering the Garda being the only avenue to get one, especially if you'd have to find one every 10 days.  It would create RP, sure, but sometimes players get rotated to the night shift at their jobs, or some other situation, and they're up late at night (US time) and there's like 10 people on the server, sometimes none of them Garda.  Also our cross-ocean players might have what was meant to be a fun RP thing turn into this nightmare to renew their license all the time.  Also as the ebb and flow of factions takes place over time, we might find ourselves in a time period with a less active garda faction (though I hope not, I love you guys).

Also I promise you Garda players, you'd get so sick of 90% of your job suddenly being selling a piece of paper.  It would be fun for a week then you'd probably grow to hate it as it became all you do, constantly getting tells from players asking you to meet to sell one.  (Just my assumption based on being a Vardo merchant.  Once you open that floodgate, it's just a constant thing you get contacted about and it saps the fun out of it, making it more of a job than anything.)

booksarefun666

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 11:20:43 PM »
That is a genuinely good point, Legion. I imagine guards would get swamped with tells.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »
I have on Cat Fumosa a trading license dated 765 (is it now 771 or 772? :) ), so an attempt to regularize trading was done in the past. Admittedly, and those who're involved know, long before I had this type of news, I have started Rp intercourse to get some licence for Dementlieu too.

Now, this is a big news on RP terms related to trading, and I agree with those who feel it's a good RP bank. I would love seeing this also for the other lands, specifically Dementlieu.

My suggestion, after read those of others, is: providing a lesser price for locals (wherever the license is, and thus related to the city/land), AND a specific location (in Vallaki I'd think about market district, Port the bazar, to make two examples).

Prices can be tweaked according to the situations and what is being sold, I like the automatic system to get the licence, but I'd also love having a diversified type of licenses (potions? armours? weapons? memorabilia?).

The path is for now good and I hope it's just the start...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
I would caution against considering the Garda being the only avenue to get one, especially if you'd have to find one every 10 days.  It would create RP, sure, but sometimes players get rotated to the night shift at their jobs, or some other situation, and they're up late at night (US time) and there's like 10 people on the server, sometimes none of them Garda.  Also our cross-ocean players might have what was meant to be a fun RP thing turn into this nightmare to renew their license all the time.  Also as the ebb and flow of factions takes place over time, we might find ourselves in a time period with a less active garda faction (though I hope not, I love you guys).

Also I promise you Garda players, you'd get so sick of 90% of your job suddenly being selling a piece of paper.  It would be fun for a week then you'd probably grow to hate it as it became all you do, constantly getting tells from players asking you to meet to sell one.  (Just my assumption based on being a Vardo merchant.  Once you open that floodgate, it's just a constant thing you get contacted about and it saps the fun out of it, making it more of a job than anything.)

The wonderful thing about this though Legion is, they don't have to meet up. or they can tell the person " I'm on patrols so if you find me you find me." if they want it bad enough you don't go to them.. -they- come to you. if they don't get one from the guards they can easily buy a fraud one from the drain or some shady person in Tigan's rest. or the blackmarket for those in Dementieu areas.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 10:08:32 AM »
I'm sorry Miuo. But NWN gives so many inventory space and allows to carry so many bags. The size of a 2x2 parchment is hardly an issue, we will continue to use the regular documents models.

I understand it can be easy for crafters and merchants to fill one's inventory. But it is part of the experience to successfully manage one within some space constraints. If you have too much it is time for you to sell, craft or give items.

No offense? But on lauel I got FOUR AND A HALF full pages of nothing but leather/vassi/lesser magic bags ALL of them barring four full 80% magic bags on my last page. Barring those four bags all the rest? They're full of recipiets for items I stored in the warehouse. Sure I sell things with her ala bows, armor weapons etc, but i also stock crafting supplies too! Those take up space! So i'm with miuo on this one the lincese as is now is too big for inventory management no matter how good you are. Lauel can carry over 170 something lbs! She's at roughly 110 give or take all the time. Wanna know how often I run out of 'normal' space before I hit the weight limit simply because neverwinter night doesnt give me enough pages to haul those bags which are only there for the sole purpose of a huge 'paper' item? Personally i think any item should be reduced to a simple 1x1 item its paper for gods sake! Just title it 'steel armor stored at valiki warhouse' leave it up to the merchant then to describe their wares its FAR more realistic and removes the pain hauling the 'paper' sized as the normal goods!

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »
The problem if you make the license small is that It will get lost easily in the inventory, especially one for those that craft a lot, having it the space size of a bag isn't terrible since there are far worse things it could possibly be.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »
Well, they have already its a no go. Id be happy with just something more "official" looking then the blank paper look. Specially when there are some time other appearences we don't get to see to often for items :o

Deadbeat

• Undead Slayer
  • Deadbeat Stuff
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »

While I can only speak for myself, and I know this isn't the main point of the thread, but I would not respond to any such messages on my garda. I can't really understand why anyone would, to be wholly honest. If you're allowing OOC tells to dictate how you go about your duties it seems like you might be doing something wrong. If they can find a garda to purchase a legit one from IC, that's great. If they couldn't, they'll just have to keep looking.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 11:59:20 AM »
Oh, this reminds me. What is the on power function on the licenses for?

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
I think there should be different class licence for merchants depending on items sold. If you sell basic goods like material components, the price should be reasonably low. Then another for vanishes and potions at slightly higher cost. If you sell potentially dangerous items like powerful magic weapons, it should be considerably higher cost.
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
No offense taken Ryeltar, this is a fair debate.

But I would caution you against invoking "realism" to justify the size reduction of the license. The argument is biased if you apply it on that one item only and not on all of them. And then if we do so, you stand to lose much more than the 3 cases you hope to gain. Because, you know what? I want realism too.

And realistically you would never be near able to carry that amount of equipment. Fact is, no one would ever dream of adventuring carrying a backpack. Ask any LARPist around and medieval fencing aficionados alike, they will all attest to the impracticality of fighting carrying a bag, let alone 38 or more as in this game allows. In real life, you'd be hard-pressed to carry a single full plate and a shield stored in a bag, not so much for the weight, but because of the space it would take. Nor would it let you jam 3 halberds and lance in it. The same bag would strain under the weight of even 6 leather-bound books, not even leaving you space for more items. You would not even be able to lift off ground a purse with 5000 gold coins. To even carry a fraction of what the games allows you, you'd have to have henchmen, pack mules and carts following you through dungeons. The NWN inventory system may be flawed, but it remains nonetheless the equivalent to adventuring with two mini-vans in tow and you tell me a 2x2 piece of paper is a problem for the sake of realism? REALLY!?!? A single page of inventory reduced to 7x5 and a maximum of 1 bag per character. THAT is my vision of realism, and then I'd fully agree there'd be a need to bring papers and parchments to a 1 case size. Fortunately for all, we do no seek to enforce such realism, D&D is to remain the game allowing you to jam a 10' pole in your pockets.

The point I'm trying to make here is that it's not for the sake of realism that you want the license size cut down. The above glimpse should tell you that realism is not in your interest at all. You ask for it solely because you feel you need more inventory space. I understand that, but I cannot agree. 6 pages of 10 x 6 space, each 2x2 transformable into another 7x5. Clearly among the games allowing the most inventory space ever. If anything it is the spell scrolls we should bring to 2x2 size. Because if I compare a 8.5" x 11" sheet to my torso, the NWN parchment to armor ratio looks realist. Sure you'll tell me a sheet can be folded or stacked that it does not weight much, and it's true. But again, we have so much inventory space at our disposal that it isn't a real issue there.

Like you I craft and collect items. I filled my inventory up to its limit more times than I can count, though never for long, as I chose to use up all the material I gather quickly and to sell or trade whatever I do not need. Sure I keep the exceptional stuff for a rainy day, but even then I hardly ever had use for more than 12 bags. You don't need 40+ bags of equipment, you chose to. It is perfectly your right to do so, and yes there may be a profit to make on the long run by doing so. But no one forces you to hoard so much and it comes with the trade off of having less inventory space available. That's part of the deal with hoarding. For the cumbersome items I suggest that you craft only on commissions. Also if you have never used an item in a year, you'll never use it or you ask too much for it, sell it cheap or give it, it will free you some space. You're in a small minority of players to load up your inventory so much. It is not symptomatic of all the player base, and therefore not a problem which needs to be addressed by the Dev team.

Say... if you guys do want realism, we'd be more than happy to remove bags from the game if there is enough request! (:mrgreen:, ok sorry, that was me being mean. I do not meant to offense anyone. But yeah, if there's enough requests...)
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
No offense taken Ryeltar, this is a fair debate.

But I would caution you against invoking "realism" to justify the size reduction of the license. The argument is biased if you apply it on that one item only and not on all of them. And then if we do so, you stand to lose much more than the 3 cases you hope to gain. Because, you know what? I want realism too.

And realistically you would never be near able to carry that amount of equipment. Fact is, no one would ever dream of adventuring carrying a backpack. Ask any LARPist around and medieval fencing aficionados alike, they will all attest to the impracticality of fighting carrying a bag, let alone 38 or more as in this game allows. In real life, you'd be hard-pressed to carry a single full plate and a shield stored in a bag, not so much for the weight, but because of the space it would take. Nor would it let you jam 3 halberds and lance in it. The same bag would strain under the weight of even 6 leather-bound books, not even leaving you space for more items. You would not even be able to lift off ground a purse with 5000 gold coins. To even carry a fraction of what the games allows you, you'd have to have henchmen, pack mules and carts following you through dungeons. The NWN inventory system may be flawed, but it remains nonetheless the equivalent to adventuring with two mini-vans in tow and you tell me a 2x2 piece of paper is a problem for the sake of realism? REALLY!?!? A single page of inventory reduced to 7x5 and a maximum of 1 bag per character. THAT is my vision of realism, and then I'd fully agree there'd be a need to bring papers and parchments to a 1 case size. Fortunately for all, we do no seek to enforce such realism, D&D is to remain the game allowing you to jam a 10' pole in your pockets.

The point I'm trying to make here is that it's not for the sake of realism that you want the license size cut down. The above glimpse should tell you that realism is not in your interest at all. You ask for it solely because you feel you need more inventory space. I understand that, but I cannot agree. 6 pages of 10 x 6 space, each 2x2 transformable into another 7x5. Clearly among the games allowing the most inventory space ever. If anything it is the spell scrolls we should bring to 2x2 size. Because if I compare a 8.5" x 11" sheet to my torso, the NWN parchment to armor ratio looks realist. Sure you'll tell me a sheet can be folded or stacked that it does not weight much, and it's true. But again, we have so much inventory space at our disposal that it isn't a real issue there.

Like you I craft and collect items. I filled my inventory up to its limit more times than I can count, though never for long, as I chose to use up all the material I gather quickly and to sell or trade whatever I do not need. Sure I keep the exceptional stuff for a rainy day, but even then I hardly ever had use for more than 12 bags. You don't need 40+ bags of equipment, you chose to. It is perfectly your right to do so, and yes there may be a profit to make on the long run by doing so. But no one forces you to hoard so much and it comes with the trade off of having less inventory space available. That's part of the deal with hoarding. For the cumbersome items I suggest that you craft only on commissions. Also if you have never used an item in a year, you'll never use it or you ask too much for it, sell it cheap or give it, it will free you some space. You're in a small minority of players to load up your inventory so much. It is not symptomatic of all the player base, and therefore not a problem which needs to be addressed by the Dev team.

Say... if you guys do want realism, we'd be more than happy to remove bags from the game if there is enough request! (:mrgreen:, ok sorry, that was me being mean. I do not meant to offense anyone. But yeah, if there's enough requests...)

I think you misunderstood me here mab77 from the earliest post i was pointing it out as a 'real world' as in ic game world thing vs a limitation of the game engine of nwn in how it was designed. My suggestion making say stored items be readjusted to a say 1x1 or even just 2x2 item would save lots of space overcoming a limitation of the game engine ooc sure we cant get REAL LIFE world reality in the game but we can adapt ooc mechanics to better realize the 'real' world we play in. that is what i'm trying to say, since we dont have a way of storing an item and having a way to 'sell' that item without an item of some sort (regardless of size) in our own inventories in nwn this seems a good acceptance to me

I'll be frank i'd be happy with NORMAL papers like this license the size of scrolls the 1x1 or whatever they are stored items i'd soner see as 3x1 or 2x2 items whichever would let us allow to best make use of storage space in bags simply as an 'ooc' tool obviously in the game world lauel aint carrying 20+ bags on her i only rp it as a backpack and say four hip pouches of gear mostly small potions or items etc. but again because of what i said above those other bags are there simply for hauling papers which normally she could hold 100s of sheets of such sealed by wax in a single small bag realistically ooc so as such when she goes on dungone runs etc or places she obviously aint gonna sell her goods those are simply rped as being in a chest in the slums temple.

get what i mean now?

Also to the point of cost while yes money is easy to make? why does it have to be such a huge sink, 10gp every 10 or so RL days adds up this is just fine especially if ocr and appraise factor in obviously for a 'best' appraise build the min should be 10 if you ask me but no more then 20 even up on the high end of the ocr scale that would go before a hostile reaction or even verbal. Not everyone sells their say crafted goods that only in basic supplies costs say 50 gp and then sells them for 2k! I'm one of them sure i make a profit but i know for a fact lauel undersells like everyone else and people overall i find appreciate it especially in the roleplay i generate often for people to come to lauel with goods found or supplies they got and get paid sure it may not be to the tune of 5k (like some herbalists shell out for a single bag or two) but they still come away making more gold then if they say went to petre to turn in their furs

To me thats the problem too many oversell their wares and on top of it all there's far too easy ways to MAKE alot of gold i mean heck even a basic 250 gold bounty in valiki would setup the average joe barovian for months no? if you ask me we should be retuning the overall server economy like that to be mroe fitting to the setting then trying to rack up cost of a simple lincese that even within the setting 10gp would cost alot (heck barovia village peasants cant afford the vistani tonic and that only runs about that! so why is no one coughing up smoke over raising that cost, because by the setting lore thats the price basically!)

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 01:37:13 AM »
Back to Trade License prices, I don't see having them cost 10 coins is even relevant when single boat ferry costs 100-350 coins and is probably still not affected by OCR/Appraise. While native Barovians and perhaps other locals should get such and other prices drastically reduced, outlanders should feel like outlanders.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 02:58:40 AM »
So, take this with a grain of salt.

I play Kazir Aglastan, who owns Aglastan Trading Company. Back in the day when the Civil War was going on, Kazir was working with the Wachters and Vallaki folk in trade. During that RP, the Wachters gave Kazir a Permit of Trade, hand-written and made official with co-signatures from Kazir Aglastan, for the Company, Aglastan Trading Company, with the Guard, Gavril Valentin, signing off on it.

That License had a description that was literally pure legal jargin, and it defined what I was allowed to do, my given rights within the land to do so, and what protection I was offered by the Guard for having this license.

It was not auto-acquired, and it did not expire. Frankly, I think seasonal expiration is silly.

I /do/ think that having trade occuring through companies would be much more interesting than every jim bob and joe having a merchant stall.

I also think a permit should either be expensive and annual, or extremely expensive for a permanent license. Said licenses should cover Companies, rather than individuals, with the ability for individuals to have Company-sanctioned licenses.

This could all be done through templates with the Garda, and the Company owner would be able to request additional licenses within employees for lower prices, however the actions of the Employees would fall on the employer in legal matters, making distribution of these licenses critical to the owner.

I.E., too many infractions results in the revokation of the Company's license if X terms are not met. Such as court fines, or legal actions against the employee.

I still have the Permit of Trade in my inventory, I'd love to let a DM take a look at it, and spitball ideas to make this entire system much more informative and engaging to the player base ... Since a significant amount of time is spent trading outside of Vallaki.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 03:31:58 AM »
Eh.

I think this is a great way to encourage RP by pointing people to get a license, and potentially punishing those that have forgotten or don't even have one in the first place. Such political & legal heavy things should perhaps only exist through extensive IC development, SirRobin; for those that wish to take those risks in pursuing something so intense. Something standardized should just be available to anyone that wants to dabble, and it's up to them to take it the rest of the way, should they want to. It shouldn't be frowned upon.

Tl;dr, if you're looking for more perks to your trade license, seek it out as you normally would IC. Don't want to be searched regularly? Make some deals, etc, etc.

As an afterthought, this is a Gothic Horror server at the end of the day, not Merchant Simulator: PotM Edition. We're definitely here for the aforementioned. I wouldn't ever want an extensive political/law system in a server largely focused around the struggle against evil. In my opinion, it should just be a pleasant backdrop.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:46:49 AM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
I can carry two sets of full plate and four halberds in my magic bag, all with the power of sarcasm and suspension of disbelief. Jokes aside, the paper really doesn't take much space.
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
Eh.

I think this is a great way to encourage RP by pointing people to get a license, and potentially punishing those that have forgotten or don't even have one in the first place. Such political & legal heavy things should perhaps only exist through extensive IC development, SirRobin; for those that wish to take those risks in pursuing something so intense. Something standardized should just be available to anyone that wants to dabble, and it's up to them to take it the rest of the way, should they want to. It shouldn't be frowned upon.

Tl;dr, if you're looking for more perks to your trade license, seek it out as you normally would IC. Don't want to be searched regularly? Make some deals, etc, etc.

As an afterthought, this is a Gothic Horror server at the end of the day, not Merchant Simulator: PotM Edition. We're definitely here for the aforementioned. I wouldn't ever want an extensive political/law system in a server largely focused around the struggle against evil. In my opinion, it should just be a pleasant backdrop.

As it is now, there isn't anything to be gained from the merchant license system. It's just another silly search ticket from the Garda. They're so cheap and simple that there isn't a good reason that a player wouldn't have one, unless he was just unaware that they existed. It's also hard to enforce at that. It's just a money sink that's the depth of a pot hole.

Kazir actually went up to a Garda and I expected way cooler things out of this than there actually was. I was told to go to the bounty and commissions office and pay an NPC for my license for a season, or two for twenty. It was silly. Since then it's just been this useless 4x4 waste of space in my inventory that doesn't serve a purpose.

You're right, this isn't a "merchant simulator," as you so eloquently put it. It's a persistent world focused on Gothic Horror. So why are we worried about permits in the first place, if they're loosely enforceable and are not intended to further the RP and dynamic outside Vallaki? I mean, what really defines a merchant license at this point; anyways?

Edit: Also, intense isn't really the word I would use.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
if only it was as simple as stuffing you papers into a box which only takes up 2x2 spaces...

i think you mean 2x4 though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:47:09 PM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »
The thing is. Vallaki is a municipality. The law states that you need a 4x4 piece of paper in your inventory to sell items. In the end it's up to you to decide if you keep it up to date. Just like rl you can't start a business without a business licence. I don't want my drivers license taking up space in my wallet, but I don't want to get busted for driving without a license. So ask yourself. Would you rather have a 4x4 piece of paper or get busted for selling without a license. In the end it's still up to you if you follow the rules. If you don't like said rules, you can protest it till you're blue in the face, the Garda will still enforce it.
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »
Im really liking the auto deleting of the old ones :D

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
The thing is. Vallaki is a municipality. The law states that you need a 4x4 piece of paper in your inventory to sell items. In the end it's up to you to decide if you keep it up to date. Just like rl you can't start a business without a business licence. I don't want my drivers license taking up space in my wallet, but I don't want to get busted for driving without a license. So ask yourself. Would you rather have a 4x4 piece of paper or get busted for selling without a license. In the end it's still up to you if you follow the rules. If you don't like said rules, you can protest it till you're blue in the face, the Garda will still enforce it.

I'm not complaining about the fact we have to have licenses. But as it stands, it doesn't really contribute or take away from anything. It's arbitrary, is what I'm saying. I'm still carrying that Permit of Trade from the Wachters, it's not a space issue. It's just so mediocre. It'd be nice if it was more than just a 10 gold fee at an NPC, so I can go hock stuff on the road.

One side says, "I don't really care about this, it's just a backdrop."

The other side says, "This is kind of silly. A ferry boat cost more than this, what is 10 GC going to do?"

Then a third perspective is, "Why do we have these permits if they weren't necessary before, they really do not contribute to RP now, and they're so easy to acquire that only a moron wouldn't have one."

This is a thread to discuss ways to make it better than it is now, right? I'd just like to contribute ideas. My idea has been contributed.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »
What if the garda were for some reason only allowed to issue say 8 licenses each season? Shred mercheants are going to fight, bribe and back-stab their way to get those licenses at all costs. Other who don't win are going to either be driven out or underground an all the risks that come with it. That might seem a bit arbitrary but look at it this way, many places in the states have government controlled liquor licenses where they're only allowed to issue so many or so many new ones each year. The restaurant I worked for 3 years ago was like that. I used to hand our mayor $200 in 10 and 5 bills every 2 weeks.

Similarly, Svari could decide he doesn't want all these outlander merchants taking business way from hardworking barovians and that only so many should be allowed to set up shop. It might seem like a hallow restriction, but restrictions can create conflict and with it roleplay.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."