Author Topic: No XP for RP in certain areas'  (Read 6020 times)

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
No XP for RP in certain areas'
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »
I wanted to put this in 'System Feedback' but for some reason I don't have posting privileges there (if you can restore that, would be great) so if you want to move it there go ahead.

I find that my level 18 cannot get xp roleplaying in the Church on the outskirts and limited/reduced XP for RP in the outskirts themselves. I was doing a lot of RP in the church today and it seemed strange that my character would be getting no xp for the church itself and reduced for the outskirts - I would have thought that as the XP required to level is massive for high level characters it wouldn't matter about RP xp for them.

I'm fine with whatever you implement but found it really curious.

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
Re: No XP for RP in certain areas'
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »
From what I know it's been made this way to force high-level players away from low-level areas. I do believe system failed because most high-levels don't care.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 01:18:36 PM »
High level PCs are encouraged to start moving to higher level areas and frequent the mist camp hub or other domains.

The system is there to help preserve Vallaki and the outskirts (amoung other areas) as lower level areas.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »
It is not really meant to "Force" persay, more encourage them to leave if they seek exp through RP. there is much to the world and most only just sit in outskirts which is generally a central hub for most of us on here excluding Mist camp and Port.  you will actually begin ot receive reduced exp once you hit level 10 unless there are more high levels around.

It goes off the average level.

No one says you have to leave, it is nice though if the higher levels didn't hang out there 24/7 since this prevents AMPCs from acting around the area and it also causes the threats of the night to diminish since can easily swoop in andj ust kill all the evil PCs. if you wish to stay by all means, my level 17 rogue often is there since it's a alright place, but she only has 85 HP and a werewolf can knock her down easy. and I don't try and stay out during the night.

the outskirts was often a place where things would happen. DM events might start, some DM might spawn a monster or a vampire might appear only to have a high level character just bash it down quick and kill the mood.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:25:54 PM by Syl »

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll consider moving the character somewhere else once I get him re-established in his faction

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll consider moving the character somewhere else once I get him re-established in his faction

Well remember No one is forcing you to leave, if you have IC reason to be there than so be it. YOU the player just have to know when it is alright to step in and help, and when it is best to let the younger people handle it.

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
Sometimes when I log on PotM and just check character names in "party window" I can say just by people who are there that for example, levels 16+ will be majority in Vallaki area that day. Because those people basically spend 90% of time in Vallaki. Also many Barovian factions and groups are run by higher levels with best gear and strong, twinked pvp builds. Hence I don't believe this RP reduction system has actually any effect.

I remember when it was introduced and many people gave it some super-positive feedback, how it was needed and good. Then few years later I can see the very same players simply ignoring it with their high levels, playing basically high-level Barovian SIMS.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:55:15 PM by Hlot »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
Sometimes when I log on PotM and just check character names in "party window" I can say just by people who are there that for example, today levels 16+ will be majority in Vallaki area. Also many Barovian factions and groups are run by higher levels with best gear and strong, twinked pvp builds. Hence I don't believe this system has actually any effect.

that is quiet the assumption there since it is not always true, while yes Valiki is a big Central hub for RP not everyone that is high level is there. Many people that play dementieu people are often in Port-a-lucine or Mist camp. and again, this " System" is not meant to force higher levels to leave, no one can force anyone to do anything, can't force perma, can't force closure, can't force limb lost, can't force you to leave an area.

The reduced exp system is only meant to deter higher levels from being in the outskirts and Hogging the glory, or reducing the threat due to ability to just kill the monsters of the night easily.  A skilled and decent high level player will often leave the threats alone and MIGHT attack or do something if the lower levels are having sever trouble, often times they will go inside for the night or travel elsewhere. and not all barovian factions are high level with super good gear.Lets look at the MorningLords, normally clerics maybe a paladin or two, I think the highest level ML I ever knew was my old cleric friend whom was level 14ish... was able to just do resurrection.  THe wayfares, I can't say anything since I've never really done anything with them. but I don't think they are mostly high level but they are based around Barovia since that is where their ONLY Base of Operations is.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
Sometimes when I log on PotM and just check character names in "party window" I can say just by people who are there that for example, levels 16+ will be majority in Vallaki area that day. Because those people basically spend 90% of time in Vallaki. Also many Barovian factions and groups are run by higher levels with best gear and strong, twinked pvp builds. Hence I don't believe this RP reduction system has actually any effect.

I remember when it was introduced and many people gave it some super-positive feedback, how it was needed and good. Then few years later I can see the very same players simply ignoring it with their high levels.

Characters and players in game might be able to inform you that a majority of the middle to higher level character spend a great deal of time in the Mist Camp, Dementlieu and the many other domains our sever offers other than Barovia. The system is designed to nudge the more experienced PC to other areas of the server and in my experience is fairly effective.

Right now, there's a lot going on in Barovia and its to be expected that IG events and happenings are going to draw connected and involved PCs, regardless of level. That being said, yes, certain "high level" PCs are known to frequent the Western Outskirts but they do so at the same risk as everyone else. Levels, enchanted gear and the best loot the server has to offer doesn't protect you from a highly motivated and organized group of conflicting players. Recent events serve as testimony to this and all of our AMPC players and their victims deserve a round of applause for creating a truly horrific atmosphere.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
that is quiet the assumption there since it is not always true, while yes Valiki is a big Central hub for RP not everyone that is high level is there. Many people that play dementieu people are often in Port-a-lucine or Mist camp. and again, this " System" is not meant to force higher levels to leave, no one can force anyone to do anything, can't force perma, can't force closure, can't force limb lost, can't force you to leave an area.

The reduced exp system is only meant to deter higher levels from being in the outskirts and Hogging the glory, or reducing the threat due to ability to just kill the monsters of the night easily.  A skilled and decent high level player will often leave the threats alone and MIGHT attack or do something if the lower levels are having sever trouble, often times they will go inside for the night or travel elsewhere. and not all barovian factions are high level with super good gear.Lets look at the MorningLords, normally clerics maybe a paladin or two, I think the highest level ML I ever knew was my old cleric friend whom was level 14ish... was able to just do resurrection.  THe wayfares, I can't say anything since I've never really done anything with them. but I don't think they are mostly high level but they are based around Barovia since that is where their ONLY Base of Operations is.

Completely not true. As for ML faction I know plenty of level 20's in there, just not sure if they are still active. Pure PvP builds with best gear on server included. I knew some ML people of level 16+ who didn't ever step outside Barovia, and I personally still wonder how did they manage to get past level 12. As for Wayfarers it's also not true, for IC reasons they had their in-game faction located in Port-A-Lucine for very long time, and many people quit playing those characters after they hit level 20.

For truly low level factions in Barovia, those are those local Barovian factions mainly - Garda for example.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:25:26 PM by Hlot »

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
Levels, enchanted gear and the best loot the server has to offer doesn't protect you from a highly motivated and organized group of conflicting players. Recent events serve as testimony to this and all of our AMPC players and their victims deserve a round of applause for creating a truly horrific atmosphere.

Not true. If you are level 20 with good items and ten level 5 players will come to fight you then you will kill them all with one spell. Then contrary, if you are level 12 with strong gear and good build then you can take down few level 20 PC assassins alone, all of them I guess also pvp builds with good gear.

Both example taken straight from in-game situations that I witnessed in past.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »
It is still a pretty large assumption on where they are. if their base is there, you cannot blame them for such things and think it is a bad thing. I will not include charcters that are retired or no longer on so I do not think there is as many high levels in factions as you think Hlot. and most are just there for expanding their possible story or getting to know more people, they are only hampering the lower levels if they are interfering and killing the threats before any of the lower levels can possibly take care of it.

Edit: YOu and I have pretty much been on this server Hlot for about the same amount of time now, and I've spent much time in Valiki due ot having many low level characters and for RP reasons. and what Lev said is -very- true. Take for example the recently taken down Cyrus who was caught completely off guard and killed by the AMPCs. he has enchanted gear and pretty high end gear yet still died. Gear does not make you invincible. if the person is dedicated enough and smart enough they will find a way to kill a level 20 while they themselves are still level 5
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:45:59 PM by Syl »

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
It is still a pretty large assumption on where they are. if their base is there, you cannot blame them for such things and think it is a bad thing. I will not include charcters that are retired or no longer on so I do not think there is as many high levels in factions as you think Hlot. and most are just there for expanding their possible story or getting to know more people, they are only hampering the lower levels if they are interfering and killing the threats before any of the lower levels can possibly take care of it.

I never said it, only said that there are plenty of high-level characters in "apparently" low level areas and that this RP XP reduction system does not make any difference.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »

I never said it, only said that there are plenty of high-level characters in "apparently" low level areas and that this RP XP reduction system does not make any difference.

I have seen a change in it. before port use to be just a empty city you might find a person once.. maybe twice and now people are more often there. Mist camp is Packed pretty often as well, Valiki has only been having more traffic due to the impending war. and all other bad things happening. It's human nature, people want to be around the things that happen.

And again the system is not meant to -FORCE- those that don't get exp anymore from RP there away. It is just there so if they actually want exp from RP they will have to travel elsewhere. and it isn't like you have to go far. Hells once you get close to midway you get normal EXP again. I think krofberg also? and a decent height up the northern mountain. it is merely to deter, or direct, or suggest.. Lets use Suggest, much better word. It is just politely suggesting that if they want RP exp they need to find a different place.

Edit: Yes people will still make their way to Valiki, but think about it, it is practically like living on the other side of the world, people want to keep up to date on what's the scoop in where they aren't. If they are there for a day [shrugs] not a problem, they might be travling venders wishing to sell their gear. if you don't like it than just head to a different place on the server to RP once you no longer get exp.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:00:58 PM by Syl »

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »
Not true. If you are level 20 with good items and ten level 5 players will come to fight you then you will kill them all with one spell. Then contrary, if you are level 12 with strong gear and good build then you can take down few level 20 PC assassins alone, all of them I guess also pvp builds with good gear.

Both example taken straight from in-game situations that I witnessed in past.

It might behoove you to get in game and in particular the area we're talking about. High levels are falling left and right.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
I am going to refrain posting more since I just have the feeling this might get hostile on a feedback thread and I don't need to be the cause.

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »
It might behoove you to get in game and in particular the area we're talking about. High levels are falling left and right.

I know exactly what happens around Vallaki, contrary to your statement my low level got recently PK'ed by very high levels just because of exactly same story you are talking about.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »
I am going to refrain posting more since I just have the feeling this might get hostile on a feedback thread and I don't need to be the cause.

Agreed, this thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is getting a bit off topic.

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 03:30:54 PM »
I have seen a change in it. before port use to be just a empty city you might find a person once.. maybe twice and now people are more often there. Mist camp is Packed pretty often as well, Valiki has only been having more traffic due to the impending war. and all other bad things happening. It's human nature, people want to be around the things that happen.

And again the system is not meant to -FORCE- those that don't get exp anymore from RP there away. It is just there so if they actually want exp from RP they will have to travel elsewhere. and it isn't like you have to go far. Hells once you get close to midway you get normal EXP again. I think krofberg also? and a decent height up the northern mountain. it is merely to deter, or direct, or suggest.. Lets use Suggest, much better word. It is just politely suggesting that if they want RP exp they need to find a different place.

Edit: Yes people will still make their way to Valiki, but think about it, it is practically like living on the other side of the world, people want to keep up to date on what's the scoop in where they aren't. If they are there for a day [shrugs] not a problem, they might be travling venders wishing to sell their gear. if you don't like it than just head to a different place on the server to RP once you no longer get exp.

I don't know what period of time you are talking about, but it's normal that after some time people who play 'outlanders' mitigate from Barovia to Dementlieu or such. As for Port-A-Lucine, I remember that was time where 90% of game plots happened exactly there and there were many many more PAL players playing actively than people in Barovia which by then looked like a ghost area, bar few people who always sat idle in outskirts. There were so many things happening there by the time that some players just started new Dementlieu characters and ran to Port at level 2 to get into plots.

As for RP exp talk, I said I don't care about it. It was a nice system made to prevent people of high level who were just destroying every MPC/AMPC and also destroying some plots, because they could single-handed take on whole low level groups/factions anytime, anywhere. So when it was introduced it worked for some time, but I see right now it's not really working much. And again, I am not talking about current Vallaki plots because they are played in different way - those people who play ATM their main roles don't idle in outskirts talking some BS at night how they can take this and that dungeon all alone and put this or that on auction for hundreds of thousands but actually role-play their characters and plots with real reason to do so.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:34:10 PM by Hlot »

Niffie

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
As I see it. The Outskirts is sort of the main hub for RP, events and making friends. Most people at the mist camp are at the level that they have already established their friendships and small cliques that they hang out with. It's not as welcoming, so to speak, for newer mid-range'ish players, or old returning high level ones. So as such, it's far from the place to be if you wanna be part of something else than just running dungeons or sitting at the camp all day.

That to me explains the surge of higher level players returning to the outskirts.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:08:31 PM by Niffie »
There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
I sent you a PM, Hlot. 

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
I wanted to put this in 'System Feedback' but for some reason I don't have posting privileges there (if you can restore that, would be great) so if you want to move it there go ahead.

Check to see if you can post there now.

Helaman

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 01:51:19 AM »
I have notify and mark as unread but no 'new' etc buttons to post new threads

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:40 AM »
To me, if Yoshinaka loves Vallaki then he should stay there, if he seeks to increase his fighting skills to even greater heights then he may want to bitch-slap a glabrezu in a far off domain. Let him decide his course of action. I believe we lose a piece of what we are if we let rules dictate gameplay strictly and override character-motivation or setting-lore material.  Its a system that in the end is more of a DM-friendly system than it is a player-friendly one. It does solve encounter conundrums for DMs who utilize combat encounters, and as DMs are a precious few commodity its best to keep them as happy as possible I say. Truth is though, for every player like Hlot who believes that high levels are ruining the fun in Vallaki, there are probably ten who are faced with a frequent dilemma of whether to choose zero progress on their character they have gotten the most in-character on by setting up kip in Vallaki, make a new one to enjoy Vallaki and all it offers again (including most factions and the most active underworld/outsider types), or just forget that Vallaki exists and as a result never get to interact with any new characters or players. None are ideal at all. I feel we could do better than our current status quo.

For me, I choose to do only what my character would do or has been enticed or prodded to do. Its on principle more than to disregard the status quo.
I go to Hazlan with my newbs and to Vallaki with my olds. If I want to take Chessryn to Vallaki and bitchslap the entire outskirts and deal with the fallout and consequences, then I do just that. The ingredient I find most lacking on PotM is the butterfly effect. The first step to a story is putting the characters in the same place at the same time, and the intermingling of the playerbase is more fractured now that this xp system is in place. Its probably the most major change since you were last active, Helaman. Its more subtle than a new domain or a new set of loot items but its impact is probably even more great upon the experience of playing and how it shapes the narrative.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »

I know exactly what happens around Vallaki, contrary to your statement my low level got recently PK'ed by very high levels just because of exactly same story you are talking about.
Can you prove the level of the characters that killed you?  Because I'd be willing to be that you died to an AMPC as opposed to a random high level character. You're making a lot of bold claims and assumptions without providing any context or real information. It's against the rules for someone to just come up and attack you unless it's an AMPC and even then they're going to roleplay with you first. If it was a normal character and you can prove you didn't seek into the conflict then report it to a DM.

I don't think you're painting an accurate picture of what the lowered rp XP system is meant to do. It's only meant to encourage high level players to go elsewhere if they want XP for their roleplay - they are still entitled to play in low level areas and roleplay there if they wish.